Fire Robert Sarver

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Good nite!" (IIRC)

Perhaps it depends on which era of Paul we're talking about but I remember "Good Morning America, this is Paul Harvey" plus "and now, the rest of the story" with the finish of "This is Paul Harvey. Good day."

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Perhaps it depends on which era of Paul we're talking about but I remember "Good Morning America, this is Paul Harvey" plus "and now, the rest of the story" with the finish of "This is Paul Harvey. Good day."
You're right. It was "Good Day" I was trying to remember. His Rest of the Story pieces were so interesting.

I was a Bobby Kennedy Liberal then, but still enjoyed Harvey's stories. Now I'm a Centrist, so I'm open to all.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t agree with that. I think the ownership group and Sarver want to win. If they didn’t they wouldn’t fire coaches or GMs. The issue is that Sarver just makes horrible decisions and hasn’t decided to surround himself with sound basketball minds or interferes.

And they haven’t tarnished the NBA brand, just the suns. And you can’t compare subways to sports. In sports the very nature of the business demands that some franchise succeed at the expense of others. Subways don’t compete with each other. In sports you have to have winners and losers. And leagues don’t care if the losers are the losers forever as long as the glam markets eventually recover.

Well put. I didn't know quite how to respond to that analogy in a succinct manner but you handled it quite well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well put. I didn't know quite how to respond to that analogy in a succinct manner but you handled it quite well.
Thx. I never type as fast as I think so I worry that I’m going to properly capture my thoughts and arguments.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a casual NBA fan so I just lurk in this forum, but I didn't see this posted anywhere. Tough assessment but from what you guys say, it's well deserved.

I was in Phx recently and sat thru the Cards humiliating loss to the Raiders and a beat down of the Coyotes by the Avalanche but I couldn't bring myself to buy Suns tickets even though I want to see Ayton play... maybe next year.

The Suns are a disaster trapped inside a dumpster fire. They entered Friday’s game with a dubious distinction, outscored 70-18 in the first quarter of their previous two losses. They are the first team to score nine points in successive opening quarters since the advent of the shot clock.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1762...er-adam-silver-can-save-the-phoenix-suns/amp/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm a casual NBA fan so I just lurk in this forum, but I didn't see this posted anywhere. Tough assessment but from what you guys say, it's well deserved.

I was in Phx recently and sat thru the Cards humiliating loss to the Raiders and a beat down of the Coyotes by the Avalanche but I couldn't bring myself to buy Suns tickets even though I want to see Ayton play... maybe next year.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1762...er-adam-silver-can-save-the-phoenix-suns/amp/

Thanks for posting this. I've sent Bickley an email, referring to letters I previously sent to Sarver's co-investers (Sarver owns 30%, the last I saw) to no avail. Then I sent a letter to Adam Silver, which probably never reached him. Then I sent a letter to Jerry Colangelo at his headquarters in Phoenix and got a hand written response from him feeling bad for Suns fans and wishing us a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

In my email to Bickley, I asked if he, as a public figure and a sportswriter, knows anyone who can actually get his article (which went much deeper than my letter) to the Commissioner. Or if he could make contact with Jerry Colangelo and encourage him to use his influence and Phoenix connection to at least look into how Robert Sarver has ruined the team.

Thanks again for making us aware of Bickley's article and his open letter to Adam Silver.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Man I agree with everything Bickley wrote. Too bad it will fall on deaf ears.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I've sent Bickley an email, referring to letters I previously sent to Sarver's co-investers (Sarver owns 30%, the last I saw) to no avail. Then I sent a letter to Adam Silver, which probably never reached him. Then I sent a letter to Jerry Colangelo at his headquarters in Phoenix and got a hand written response from him feeling bad for Suns fans and wishing us a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

In my email to Bickley, I asked if he, as a public figure and a sportswriter, knows anyone who can actually get his article (which went much deeper than my letter) to the Commissioner. Or if he could make contact with Jerry Colangelo and encourage him to use his influence and Phoenix connection to at least look into how Robert Sarver has ruined the team.

Thanks again for making us aware of Bickley's article and his open letter to Adam Silver.
BC your optimism is impressive. I hope it someway somehow has legs. But I just don’t see it. Nothing that anyone is saying isn’t apparent to everyone paying attention. That includes Sarver, Silver, and every suns fan.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC your optimism is impressive. I hope it someway somehow has legs. But I just don’t see it. Nothing that anyone is saying isn’t apparent to everyone paying attention. That includes Sarver, Silver, and every suns fan.
Thanks, Ouchie. Well, at least, I feel better for doing something. And if there is one chance in a kazillion, I'll take it. I'm retired and have the time. :mad:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way I can see Adam Silver stepping in is if it comes out that Sarver deliberately tanked so he could move the franchise. Even that isn't a sure thing though. If Sarver purposefully created our current mess to put us in a position where he'd almost get help packing if he wanted to move when he's turned down by the city for a new arena. Being bad was his way of ensuring an easy exit. If we were a playoff team there's a chance he wouldn't get his arena but he would most likely be stuck here regardless of that.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

Valley sports fans have reason to be angry. It’s never been this bad

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valley sports fans have reason to be angry. It’s never been this bad

I literally can't give away my Dad's 4th ticket for the Cardinals tomorrow. Brother Not Ouchie has Ayton-Tummy-Ache-Disease and four other friends just straight up said no freaking way.

It's the darkest I can ever remember.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way I can see Adam Silver stepping in is if it comes out that Sarver deliberately tanked so he could move the franchise. Even that isn't a sure thing though. If Sarver purposefully created our current mess to put us in a position where he'd almost get help packing if he wanted to move when he's turned down by the city for a new arena. Being bad was his way of ensuring an easy exit. If we were a playoff team there's a chance he wouldn't get his arena but he would most likely be stuck here regardless of that.

No, I'm very confident Silver would step in if that were the case. But I don't buy the oft-mentioned threat of Sarver taking the Suns to San Diego. It's not good for the league and Silver is not like Stern who was willing to destroy a market to drive home the point that you spend public money for arenas or you lose your team. Phoenix is not a great market for anything less than good basketball but San Diego has proved to be a far worse location for that type of ball in the past.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Sterling got "fired" because he did some really despicable racist things.
I've never heard anything bad about Sarver's character. He's just a really bad NBA owner.

The 76ers were "taken over" because everybody felt they were intentionally trying to lose for many years. Sarver is actually trying to win.

There is no precedent for our plight. My guess is it will have to get a lot worse before anything would ever happen.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Sterling got "fired" because he did some really despicable racist things.
I've never heard anything bad about Sarver's character. He's just a really bad NBA owner.

The 76ers were "taken over" because everybody felt they were intentionally trying to lose for many years. Sarver is actually trying to win.

There is no precedent for our plight. My guess is it will have to get a lot worse before anything would ever happen.

Do you really believe that demeaning his General Manager while on the phone with other GM's is trying to win? Or firing GM's and Head Coaches a few weeks into the season (twice in the past two) is trying to win?

Or hiring inexperienced GM's so he can override them? And inexperienced Head Coaches. Or going without a GM and calling the basketball shots himself?

I actually see no correlation with Robert Sarver and 'trying to win'. The Suns are his play toy and ego trip. 8+ years out of the playoffs and getting worse is not winning.

Sarver sold his Tucson bank and now owns San Diego banks. He is not even committed to Arizona any more.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Do you really believe that demeaning his General Manager while on the phone with other GM's is trying to win? Or firing GM's and Head Coaches a few weeks into the season (twice in the past two) is trying to win?

Or hiring inexperienced GM's so he can override them? And inexperienced Head Coaches. Or going without a GM and calling the basketball shots himself?

I actually see no correlation with Robert Sarver and 'trying to win'. The Suns are his play toy and ego trip. 8+ years out of the playoffs and getting worse is not winning.

Sarver sold his Tucson bank and now owns San Diego banks. He is not even committed to Arizona any more.

You're preaching to the choir. I just don't see how anybody can legally intervene.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He’s definitely trying to win otherwise he wouldn’t keep firing people. You don’t pay all that money to people who no longer work for you if you don’t care about winning. He just sucks at it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can't be much of an ego trip as he has ruined the Suns in his tenure. There was a story when he first became owner that everything he touched turned to gold. Too bad that reversed when he got a hold of the Suns. He systematically turned them into a turd.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dan Bickley really nails it and pulls no punches, ripping Sarver and Jones, Igor for being inadequate and not respected and Ayton for being unmotivated and soft.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Errntknght

Reaction score
Bicklley is much more likely to be heard than we are, and there is quite a chorus saying about the same things in the league media. And it's likely to get worse, so I'm thinking we aren't that far from a league intervention. Sarver is detrimental to the league so I think they can muster a legal basis for it.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i believe the league might eventually put some pressure on Sarver
but, ultimately, selling will have to be his decision

i agree with the consensus -- that another Sarver picked GM or coach is a band-aid on a chronic illness, but those are the only realistic talking points.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bicklley is much more likely to be heard than we are, and there is quite a chorus saying about the same things in the league media. And it's likely to get worse, so I'm thinking we aren't that far from a league intervention. Sarver is detrimental to the league so I think they can muster a legal basis for it.

It will take someone with respect nationally to make an impact.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05