Free Agency 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers have renounced Randle's rights, making him an unrestricted FA. Too bad the Suns are done. I would have been all for signing him in the $15 million range to fill the hole at PF for us. What's done is done though.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, we all know that. But he can do everything else very well.

I am super Pro Rondo led the league and assists, was just wondering if he would not even be an option on Igor's offense, considering what an emphasis he puts on shooting. I would be thrilled to land Rondo. I heard a few Suns Radio guys say he was not going to be a target due to character issues and a 1st year head coach.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly don't get what LA is doing. Who's going to shoot the ball?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Randle renounced. Too bad for him. Most teams have burned their FA money already. He would be a nice pickup.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report: Pistons to ink Calderon
The Detroit Pistons have reportedly reached an agreement with veteran point guard Jose Calderon. ESPN's Chris Haynes reported it will be a one-year deal. (4:34 p.m. ET)

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report: Scott to join up with Clippers
The L.A. Clippers have reportedly added some depth to their front court. According to Adrian Wojnarowski, the Clippers have agreed to a one-year deal with Mike Scott. (4:47 p.m. ET)

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Report: Warriors unlikely to add Howard
The Warriors have been linked to free-agent big man Dwight Howard, but according to USA Today's Sam Amick, it's unlikely the two sides agree to a deal. He noted the Pelicans and Wizards are other possible landing spots for Howard. (4:37 p.m. ET)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty interesting Lakers go out and sign 2 point guards.

Rondo, Stevenson and McGee interesting locker room

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is so cheap. I'm guessing Payton did not want to play for the Suns or there were other issues. He could have started for the Suns.

But most metrics show that Payton played worse than Harrison. I think the Suns think Payton is hot doo-doo and they don't even want him for peanuts.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ramona Shelburne‏Verified account@ramonashelburne 7m7 minutes ago
Regarding Rondo and the Lakers, source says they told him that with LeBron here they’re trying to win now. Best man wins the job.

Ramona Shelburne‏Verified account@ramonashelburne 3m3 minutes ago
All that said, LeBron did tell the Lakers on Saturday night that he likes Lonzo’s game and is excited to play with him.

Rondo as a player is actually a good role model for Lonzo. Rondo as a person, isn't much of a role model for anybody so I'm a bit surprised the Lakers got him. This one has pretty much got to be LeBron's decision and it suggests they're trying to get Cousins who's very good friends with Rondo.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Rondo as a player is actually a good role model for Lonzo. Rondo as a person, isn't much of a role model for anybody so I'm a bit surprised the Lakers got him. This one has pretty much got to be LeBron's decision and it suggests they're trying to get Cousins who's very good friends with Rondo.
How do they get Cousins now?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Unless Cousins is going to take a HUGE discount, I don't see it. Or they want to do S&T for some of their younger guys with someone like Lopez for him.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any word on Alex Len? Has he garnered any interest anywhere?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They need to clear more caproom somehow but it's all over sports media right now they are going after him. I think the big risk is his health, achilles injuries are no joke to come back from, he won't be healthy for at least half the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... maybe purely based on traditional stats, points, assists, rebounds, but based on impact, he was not only the worst point guard on the roster last year, but among the worst players in the NBA.

We preformed worse on offense across the board, and on defense he surrendered a PER of 25 to opposing point guards, basically making any guard he played against put up MVP level stats. With Payton off the court we were outscored by 7 points per 100 possessions (yeah, we were bad) with him ON the court that figured exploded to 20 points.

He is a terrible shooter, a complete disaster as a defender and the best thing that could be said about his passing was that he didn't turn the ball over much.

And, what Poop Head said is 100% correct. We could not have signed him for 2.5 mil, we would have had to keep him via the QO. Last seasons trade of a 2nd round pick and this contract from the Pelicans are strong indications that the entire league views Payton as a really bad player.

The Suns were not going to keep Payton for the qualifying offer. They needed the money to sign Ariza.

If the Suns could have theoretically signed Payton in free agency for $2.5 million, I think it would have been a good signing. However, this was not an option for the Suns.

I do think the Pelicans got a really good deal even if you dislike him.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And you want Ball...who is a historically awful shooter.
I still stick to that fact his numbers are identical to Kidd's rookie year, he had 70%, free throw in college and can hit 3s and has amazing court vision. I feel his rookie season is to small of a sample size, because in college FG 55% FT 70% and 3 40%. He wouldn't have to be a Scorer on the Suns just rebound, push the pace and be a distributor, with Ayton and Booker the Suns could use all his strengths and that would minimize his bad shooting, while maximizing his amazing court vision. He would be able to grow with this young Nucleus and is the exact type of player to pair with Booker and Ayton.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd take the traditional PG every day of the week. Everyone wants a Curry clone. Fact is he's damn lucky he shoots like he does cause the only other thing he can do is chew on a mouth guard

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05