Free Agency 2018

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And now, as fodder for the next 20 pages...

Devin Booker and Marqueese Chriss just started following Damian Lillard on Twitter. Discuss.
Realgm trade checker here we come. Some form of JJ plus cap fodder for Lillard I would think.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The margin by which he was worse than everyone else was alarming. I didn't realize quite how terrible his impact was until you and I were kicking around contract figures a few weeks ago. I'm sure teams have access to waaay more info than we do. We knew he was a bad shooter and a pretty clueless defender, but I didn't realize how bad his deficiencies in those areas effected the entire team.

I think he's one of the leading examples that's driving the NBA's thoughts on point guards that are not real threats to shoot or score. I believe the thinking when Hinkie was just starting out was that you could teach a guy to shoot if they had the measure-ables you wanted. But too many weak shooters have called that into question. Ball-handling guard is the one position that has to be able to score on all 3 levels.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get your point but you picked 2 bad examples. Davis had Rondo and Jrue Holiday feeding him. Holiday is an All-Star level player and Rondo is a pass first PG who is quite good. KAT has Jeff Teague, Tyus Jones, and Derrick Rose. Teague is an All-Star PG, Rose is a former MVP (albeit broken, he's the backup now), and Jones is a highly regarded backup on a rookie contract that many have mentioned as a potential target for the Suns.

Oh good lord. No way on gods green earth is Holiday an all star level player do we really need to go over all the guards in the west?

Teague made an all star team... In the east.

Rondo has been with AD for 1 year. AD and KAT have been stars since day 1 in the NBA.

You really brought up Derick Rose in 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh good lord. No way on gods green earth is Holiday an all star level player do we really need to go over all the guards in the west?

Teague made an all star team... In the east.

Rondo has been with AD for 1 year. AD and KAT have been stars since day 1 in the NBA.

You really brought up Derick Rose in 2018

Jrue Holiday just made the All-NBA Defensive 1st team. That is not an All-Star team but I'd wager the majority of people here would rather have a player who just made the 1st All-Defense team instead of an All-Star. Can you see the similarities there that would raise a players value?

Teague did make an All-Star team in the East, that's still an All-Star. He played well last season for Minnesota and helped get them to the playoffs. I don't see why you're knocking him that much. Would he not be an upgrade for us?

Rondo may have only been with Davis for 1 year but it doesn't change the fact that Davis had his best season in the league with Rondo as his PG.

Yes, I brought up Derrick Rose in 2018 because he's a good backup PG who is only making the league minimum. You wouldn't want the Suns to sign him for the league minimum for 1 year to play backup PG? I think most people would roll the dice there. He looked good in that role for the Wolves last year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he's one of the leading examples that's driving the NBA's thoughts on point guards that are not real threats to shoot or score. I believe the thinking when Hinkie was just starting out was that you could teach a guy to shoot if they had the measure-ables you wanted. But too many weak shooters have called that into question. Ball-handling guard is the one position that has to be able to score on all 3 levels.

Yeah, the starting point guards who can't shoot are almost universally good defenders, Payton's defensive impact was even worse than his shooting stats.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're complaining about losing Payton when he made the team dramatically worse on both ends.

And the no one was holding back Cousins on the Kings. They got worse after losing those players and the Pelicans got worse after Cousins got hurt. Cousins is an empty stats selfish, stupid, headcase.

Didn't say a word about Payton

I live in Sac, so I am way more aware of what happened and the divide that was created due to Evans and IT forcing shots and overlooking Cousins and constantly clearing him out of the paint to drive. Knight would not help but hinder and piss off Ayton, as he continues to force bad shot after bad shot. Knight is the guy at the Ymca who hasn't seen a shot he didn't like and continually Jack's shot after shot up, no matter the outcome or who may have been open.

Your battling down low to get position for the ball and if you have your PG continually look you off and jack a shot up after shot up, it creates lots of animosity for your big man, wasting all that energy and fight battling in the post. Now add Booker, Bridges, Jackson, Ariza around the wing needing the ball and you have a guy who doesn't spread the ball around and keeps jacking up bad shote, its going to create bad chemistry and players forcing shots, because they know once they pass It the ball is not coming back around, especially for a young team.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jrue Holiday just made the All-NBA Defensive 1st team. That is not an All-Star team but I'd wager the majority of people here would rather have a player who just made the 1st All-Defense team instead of an All-Star. Can you see the similarities there that would raise a players value?

Teague did make an All-Star team in the East, that's still an All-Star. He played well last season for Minnesota and helped get them to the playoffs. I don't see why you're knocking him that much. Would he not be an upgrade for us?

Rondo may have only been with Davis for 1 year but it doesn't change the fact that Davis had his best season in the league with Rondo as his PG.

Yes, I brought up Derrick Rose in 2018 because he's a good backup PG who is only making the league minimum. You wouldn't want the Suns to sign him for the league minimum for 1 year to play backup PG? I think most people would roll the dice there. He looked good in that role for the Wolves last year.

I'm not knocking them my point is with guys like AD, KAT and hopefully Ayton that's another level of talent those guys are going to be stars no matter who's around them and it's actually the other way around. Your stars make guys better if anything.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Blazers would trade Lillard without unloading a bad contract with him. Sort of take your pick with those, Meyers Leonard, Evan Turner, or Mo Harkless. All have bad deals. I'd take Turner only because he has some PG skills and might be able to play PG for the 2nd unit with someone like Okobo while he's learning the game. His size allows for us not to have flashbacks of the dual PG sets of Hornacek days.

Probably take Jackson, Warren, Chandler, and Dudley to make it all work, for Lillard and Turner. I think I'd do that trade still.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not knocking them my point is with guys like AD, KAT and hopefully Ayton that's another level of talent those guys are going to be stars no matter who's around them and it's actually the other way around. Your stars make guys better if anything.

I just explained above, while having a shoot first PG, causes players to start forcing shots, because Knight is King of the forced shots

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just explained above, while having a shoot first PG, causes players to start forcing shots, because Knight is King of the forced shots

Kyrie and Steph are shoot first PG who have won championships. I think your confusing shoot first with just sucking. Guys like Knight and IT are just highly flawed and would have been better suited for different roles

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight is actually a very good, very talented player. His problem has always been between his ears. He was not just shoot first, he would shoot when not open and when other players clearly were. He had a propensity for hero ball that seemed to be instilled in him from a young age. So, there is a chance that if he really has had a chance to rethink his game, he could pull it off. He has the skills and talent. If his mindset is truly changed, he could be as good as any pg's we have been considering in free agency.

But very few players change their mindset. So, who knows. He is like having a lottery ticket. The chances are really low, but you might as well see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Blazers would trade Lillard without unloading a bad contract with him. Sort of take your pick with those, Meyers Leonard, Evan Turner, or Mo Harkless. All have bad deals. I'd take Turner only because he has some PG skills and might be able to play PG for the 2nd unit with someone like Okobo while he's learning the game. His size allows for us not to have flashbacks of the dual PG sets of Hornacek days.

Probably take Jackson, Warren, Chandler, and Dudley to make it all work, for Lillard and Turner. I think I'd do that trade still.

we'd have to give up picks as well. No way is that deal above sweet enough for Lillard, IMO.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kyrie and Steph are shoot first PG who have won championships. I think your confusing shoot first with just sucking. Guys like Knight and IT are just highly flawed and would have been better suited for different roles

Ok I should have said selfish, Zero Bball IQ, ball hog PGs that force shots up over and over PGs. Currys is more of the exception as a shoot first PG, most ball hog PGs are not MVPs like Curry and Irving wanting to be a shoot first PG did create friction between James and Irving, just like I said having a Knight pairing would be horrible for Ayton, he relies on his PGs to feed him downlow

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok I should have said selfish, Zero Bball IQ, ball hog PGs that force shots up over and over PGs. Currys is more of the exception as a shoot first PG, most ball hog PGs are not MVPs like Curry and Irving wanting to be a shoot first PG did create friction between James and Irving, just like I said having a Knight pairing would be horrible for Ayton, he relies on his PGs to feed him downlow

That's not what created friction. Lebron like shoot first PG just look at D-Wade. What created friction was the Cavs trying to trade Kyrie and not valuing what they had.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BK is practicing 100% full out with the summer league team. That says a lot for him. Something IS going on with that guy. I have to wonder if Kokoskov has watched BK or Okobo (or even Harrison) in practice and told McD that the pg need isn't that urgent right now (given what is available on the market).

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rondo is still out there, although there were some rumblings about him going to LA.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BK is practicing 100% full out with the summer league team. That says a lot for him. Something IS going on with that guy. I have to wonder if Kokoskov has watched BK or Okobo (or even Harrison) in practice and told McD that the pg need isn't that urgent right now (given what is available on the market).
You must be registered for see images attach

make a trade already.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams hurt in free agency so far:
Warriors (loss of McGee is a loss)
Cavs (of course)
Rockets (losing Ariza is a big deal)