Free Agency 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
David Aldridge‏Verified account@daldridgetnt 1h1 hour ago
Tony Parker had made no secret last season—his 17th with the Spurs—that he hoped to play three more years in San Antonio to reach 20 before retiring. Which makes his leaving for Charlotte all the sadder. It’s certainly not because of money.

We're going to see how good San Antonio's front office is now that they're going to need to rebuild from scratch. Losing Kawhi will hurt them quite a bit, it's all about getting something valuable in return for him. I assume they let Parker go so they can free up money to make a big impact next offseason. Still surprised they didn't give him a 1 year deal or something.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're going to see how good San Antonio's front office is now that they're going to need to rebuild from scratch. Losing Kawhi will hurt them quite a bit, it's all about getting something valuable in return for him. I assume they let Parker go so they can free up money to make a big impact next offseason. Still surprised they didn't give him a 1 year deal or something.

San Antonio may not be contending for anything but they will always be good with Popovich.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they let him go because he's toast.

I will anticipate the Spurs collapse when Pop leaves, until then I suspect they'll be in the mix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you match that if you're the Bulls?

That is a pretty big contract for a guy that hasn't really shown all that much and is coming off an ACL injury.

I wouldn't but I've never liked his game. Well, never is a bit strong. I did like him early in his freshman season at UCLA but afterwards there and in the Pros I've come to view him as mostly flash, with little substance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is a pretty big contract for a guy that hasn't really shown all that much and is coming off an ACL injury.

I don't think so. The Kings are being the Kings.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Are you kidding? I'd be packing his bags for him. I don't think he's worth half that, which is what Warren got and is a significantly better player even without 3pt range.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Are you kidding? I'd be packing his bags for him. I don't think he's worth half that, which is what Warren got and is a significantly better player even without 3pt range.

He’s better than Warren but there is some unknown with his knee injury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In what way? Higher profile, yes. Better jumper, yes. Higher up-side, probably. But better player? I haven't seen it. What do you like about his game over TJ's?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Kings signing him would be a good match. He reminds me of Kevin Martin, in a way, like a cross between Kevin Martin and Gerald Green because of his insane athleticism. I never understood how Martin had a good NBA career. He seemed like a guy who got the opportunity he did because the Kings weren't very deep on their wings when he became their starting SG years back.

There's no way a young team like Chicago should match. They have better guards to replace him already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kings will have lots of salary space after this coming season so I can see the rationale.

Lavine can hit the 3 and the Kings are going to have to overpay for talent. They will be very athletic with Bagley and company.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In what way? Higher profile, yes. Better jumper, yes. But better player? I haven't seen it. What do you like about his game over TJ's?

Better shooter/passer and much higher athletic upside. He was taking the next step before tearing his ACL and was approaching 58ts%. For comparison Booker was around 56%, Warren 54%. I’ve always like Lavine more than most people.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dwight Howard is headed to Washington. Not a bad signing for them, he's better than Gortat and cheaper as well. He signed for 2 years with the second season being a player option. He'll get $11 million a season, so $22 million total if he stays. Maybe the players there can keep him in check? If I was a Wizards fan I wouldn't be happy about adding a guy with questionable character to a team that already has Markieff. That could end badly for them. I think Markieff is on his final year though. Might as well give it a shot since they sent Gortat away already.

Keeps him from signing with the Warriors also, which was rumored previously. That talk stopped when Cousins signed. Even though not many people care for Dwight, especially at this point in his career, if the Warriors added him that would start a whole new round of people complaining about how they sign every All-Star on the market. Dwight isn't an All-Star anymore but his impact would be inflated when people made the case against the Warriors free agent spending.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/dwight-howard-finalizes-buyout-headed-to-wizards.html

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeps him from signing with the Warriors also, which was rumored previously. That talk stopped when Cousins signed. Even though not many people care for Dwight, especially at this point in his career, if the Warriors added him that would start a whole new round of people complaining about how they sign every All-Star on the market. Dwight isn't an All-Star anymore but his impact would be inflated when people made the case against the Warriors free agent spending.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/dwight-howard-finalizes-buyout-headed-to-wizards.html

Actually, that talk stopped when (reportedly) the Warriors players voted against signing Howard. And when Cousins' name surfaced, they voted yes.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I have no problem liking Lavine more than Warren, but he certainly isn't definitively better. Let alone paying twice as much for in a tight market.

This is shades of the Suns trying to max out Eric Gordon. Actually combining this signing with the Bagley selection feels very reminiscent of a Blanks orchestrated offseason, now they just need to sign Michael Beasley and call it a day.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dwight Howard is headed to Washington. Not a bad signing for them, he's better than Gortat and cheaper as well. He signed for 2 years with the second season being a player option. He'll get $11 million a season, so $22 million total if he stays. Maybe the player there can keep him in check? If I was a Wizards fan I wouldn't be happy about adding a guy with questionable character to a team that already has Markieff. That could end badly for them. I think Markieff is on his final year though. Might as well give it a shot since they sent Gortat away already.

I'm not sure if he it's a good signing... I'm not a big "intangibles" guy but Dwight has all the wrong ones. Ever since he left Orlando, each team he joins can't wait to be rid of him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, that talk stopped when (reportedly) the Warriors players voted against signing Howard. And when Cousins' name surfaced, they voted yes.

Hadn't heard that. I know the rumor was only out there for a short period of time and then the Cousins signing happened. That doesn't speak well of how Howard is viewed, at all. I'm not sure what he's done to sabotage himself like he has but he still averages 15 & 12 while being a good rim protector. You'd think he'd find a team to latch onto but that's not happening.

Cousins hasn't earned a very good reputation in the league either. He's been perceived as a headache, a potential locker room cancer, and a coach killer. Those were all issues mentioned when people talked about him getting a big contract this offseason. His injury didn't help matters either. Knowing that the Warriors looked at both like that and decided to add Cousins says how far Dwight has fallen. When a team doesn't even want to add you on a cheap deal to round out the roster and fill a gap in the middle that's a problem.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05