Free Agency 2018

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better shooter/passer and much higher athletic upside. He was taking the next step before tearing his ACL and was approaching 58ts%. For comparison Booker was around 56%, Warren 54%. I’ve always like Lavine more than most people.

He's getting better but he's still a bad defender and in his case it's because he just doesn't care to play defense, with his athleticism if he did, he'd be good. I always remember watchign one of their SL games and the T Wolves new coach at halftime was running drills with the team that they were showing to fill time. They were practicing certain sets and LaVine came up and got a steal and Sam Mitchell blew the whistle to stop it. Zach was furious because he didn't get to go in and dunk. Mitchell then asked him what he was doing and why he went where he did and Zach started pouting and said "but I gotta steal and was going to dunk." And Mitchell said yes and that was a great play and a great read, I was just trying to find out why you went where you did, you went exactly where you should have based on what the offense did, I just wanted to see if you knew that, or just got lucky, clearly you just got lucky.

It was hilarious to watch.

Zach is a freaky athlete and very talented but he doesn't have a high basketball IQ. I remember at UCLA it was quite common for 4 guys to be playing man and Zach to be in zone. I also remember Bryce Alford getting so frustrated with him on defense, he shoved him in the back to tell him where he was supposed to be. When an apathetic defender like Bryce is telling you where to go on defense, you're really bad.

We have tons of Lakers fans on BRO, they're always defending Zach and attacking Bryce and calling his dad a nepotist for not playing Zach as the backup PG that year in college. Today I suggested the Lakers should free up caproom to get Zach, when I last looked, not ONE single Lakers fan on that board thought it was a good idea, none of them actually think he can play they just praise him as part of the attack on Alford and son.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he it's a good signing... I'm not a big "intangibles" guy but Dwight has all the wrong ones. Ever since he left Orlando, each team he joins can't wait to be rid of him.

I know the Lakers tried to keep him but I thought how they pulled a 180 once he chose the Rockets instead was sort of jealous fans being upset that someone would turn down the Lakers for any reason. The story has been repeated a few times now and it seems that Lakers fans were actually right about a player for a change.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I have no problem liking Lavine more than Warren, but he certainly isn't definitively better. Let alone paying twice as much for in a tight market.

This is shades of the Suns trying to max out Eric Gordon. Actually combining this signing with the Bagley selection feels very reminiscent of a Blanks orchestrated offseason, now they just need to sign Michael Beasley and call it a day.

I don’t care about the money I’m just talking about them as players. Lavine has much higher upside and is a threat from the outside.

Sorry guys but I’m just not that high on TJ Warren.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He's getting better but he's still a bad defender and in his case it's because he just doesn't care to play defense, with his athleticism if he did, he'd be good. I always remember watchign one of their SL games and the T Wolves new coach at halftime was running drills with the team that they were showing to fill time. They were practicing certain sets and LaVine came up and got a steal and Sam Mitchell blew the whistle to stop it. Zach was furious because he didn't get to go in and dunk. Mitchell then asked him what he was doing and why he went where he did and Zach started pouting and said "but I gotta steal and was going to dunk." And Mitchell said yes and that was a great play and a great read, I was just trying to find out why you went where you did, you went exactly where you should have based on what the offense did, I just wanted to see if you knew that, or just got lucky, clearly you just got lucky.

It was hilarious to watch.

Zach is a freaky athlete and very talented but he doesn't have a high basketball IQ. I remember at UCLA it was quite common for 4 guys to be playing man and Zach to be in zone. I also remember Bryce Alford getting so frustrated with him on defense, he shoved him in the back to tell him where he was supposed to be. When an apathetic defender like Bryce is telling you where to go on defense, you're really bad.

We have tons of Lakers fans on BRO, they're always defending Zach and attacking Bryce and calling his dad a nepotist for not playing Zach as the backup PG that year in college. Today I suggested the Lakers should free up caproom to get Zach, when I last looked, not ONE single Lakers fan on that board thought it was a good idea, none of them actually think he can play they just praise him as part of the attack on Alford and son.

Idk why anyone would want him playing PG.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the Lakers tried to keep him but I thought how they pulled a 180 once he chose the Rockets instead was sort of jealous fans being upset that someone would turn down the Lakers for any reason. The story has been repeated a few times now and it seems that Lakers fans were actually right about a player for a change.
I remember the story went that Kobe crashed the meeting where the Lakers were trying to recruit Dwight back and Kobe proceeded to sabotage it.

Kobe was a raging douche who didn't get along with almost any other star, but in this case it turned out he was maybe ahead of the curve.

I heard someone on the radio talking about traveling with Team USA and how Dwight was stunningly immature, not like immature for a mid 20 year old, but instead that it was like they had an 11 year old with them.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t care about the money I’m just talking about them as players. Lavine has much higher upside and is a threat from the outside.

Sorry guys but I’m just not that high on TJ Warren.

I'm not high on Warren either, still think he's better than Lavine.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who even has 20 mil to spend at this point? Is that the number they thought they had to hit to keep the Bulls from matching?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember the story went that Kobe crashed the meeting where the Lakers were trying to recruit Dwight back and Kobe proceeded to sabotage it.

Kobe was a raging douche who didn't get along with almost any other star, but in this case it turned out he was maybe ahead of the curve.

I heard someone on the radio talking about traveling with Team USA and how Dwight was stunningly immature, not like immature for a mid 20 year old, but instead that it was like they had an 11 year old with them.

You’re probably thinking about Bickley who covered the 08’ Olympics. He said coaches had a hard time communicating with Dwight because he acted like a 6 year.

Guy had insane physical ability.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re probably thinking about Bickley who covered the 08’ Olympics. He said coaches had a hard time communicating with Dwight because he acted like a 6 year.

Guy had insane physical ability.

Not only did he have insane physical abilities he knew how to fake it for the cameras in regards to his personality. He always came across as a fun guy. I know I enjoyed seeing him compete in the dunk contests years back, before he left Orlando. The way he left was bad though. He had the ability to opt-out and he didn't, which was weird, and he said he wanted to stay and continue his career in Orlando and then a few months later he was begging for a trade again. He asked before, in the previous season, so it was odd he didn't opt out when he had the chance. A lot of teams had interest and cap space also so it's wasn't a matter of him leaving money on the table or having to accept a pay cut if he left.

Everything about that was strange. Like the interview he did with Van Gundy where Stan was being asked about Dwight wanting him fired and Dwight crashed in and leaned on Stan and butted in saying how great their relationship was. It was really strange. I don't think he knew what they were talking about when he sort of butted in because it looked like they were talking to reporters in a hallway or tunnel in the arena.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a Dwight Howard documentary that airs on Showtime occasionally. It's weird. It's got his spin on it but there isn't much that can be spun in some situations. It used to be on Netflix but it's not there right now. It's called "Dwight Howard: In the Moment". It's worth a watch if anyone gets the chance. He's a weird guy but in an odd way. Like he tries to sell an image of him that is completely different than what we see. Even that was manipulated some but they can't put a positive spin on everything.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not only did he have insane physical abilities he knew how to fake it for the cameras in regards to his personality. He always came across as a fun guy. I know I enjoyed seeing him compete in the dunk contests years back, before he left Orlando. The way he left was bad though. He had the ability to opt-out and he didn't, which was weird, and he said he wanted to stay and continue his career in Orlando and then a few months later he was begging for a trade again. He asked before, in the previous season, so it was odd he didn't opt out when he had the chance. A lot of teams had interest and cap space also so it's wasn't a matter of him leaving money on the table or having to accept a pay cut if he left.

Everything about that was strange. Like the interview he did with Van Gundy where Stan was being asked about Dwight wanting him fired and Dwight crashed in and leaned on Stan and butted in saying how great their relationship was. It was really strange. I don't think he knew what they were talking about when he sort of butted in because it looked like they were talking to reporters in a hallway or tunnel in the arena.

That media thing with Dwight and Stan was awkward af. It’s funny how Kobe-Dwight-Nash were supposed to be a Super Team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk why anyone would want him playing PG.

They wouldn't but that's why Zach left UCLA, at least that's what his dad and uncle publicly said. They were made Bryce got the backup PG minutes, were told Zach wasn't a PG and so they left. Of course we were also told that about halfway through the season they met with Alford, and Zach, and informed him that Zach was going pro after the season so at that point what coach in his right mind would give the kid backup PG minutes knowing next year Bryce was going to have to play some PG?

Zach had talent but he was one of my least favorite players in ages at UCLA, he just shut it down as soon as he decided to turn pro. It was stunning to watch, from highlight reel dunks in every game to rarely dunking because he was trying to protect his health. There was a game late in the year against Arizona where he played so badly you almost thought he was point shaving. I forget if it was Walton or MacLean who actually made that joke on air during the game because he was giving ARizona the game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They wouldn't but that's why Zach left UCLA, at least that's what his dad and uncle publicly said. They were made Bryce got the backup PG minutes, were told Zach wasn't a PG and so they left. Of course we were also told that about halfway through the season they met with Alford, and Zach, and informed him that Zach was going pro after the season so at that point what coach in his right mind would give the kid backup PG minutes knowing next year Bryce was going to have to play some PG?

Zach had talent but he was one of my least favorite players in ages at UCLA, he just shut it down as soon as he decided to turn pro. It was stunning to watch, from highlight reel dunks in every game to rarely dunking because he was trying to protect his health. There was a game late in the year against Arizona where he played so badly you almost thought he was point shaving. I forget if it was Walton or MacLean who actually made that joke on air during the game because he was giving ARizona the game.

Between Lavine, Shabazz and Lonzo Alford has had some interesting parents to deal with. :lol:

Looks like the Bulls are matching with some injury protection...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between Lavine, Shabazz and Lonzo Alford has had some interesting parents to deal with. :lol:

Looks like the Bulls are matching with some injury protection...

the irony in that is Lonzo was probably the one of the 3 whose dad was the lesser negative impact. Zach's dad made him leave, Bazz' dad violated NCAA rules, and Lavar went to games and talked a bunch but really had no impact on UCLA at all that year.

Since then obviously LAvar has taken it to a whole other level of annoying.

I never root against UCLA players and I don't with Zach either but he still has to decide does he want to be a highlight player or a winner.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the irony in that is Lonzo was probably the one of the 3 whose dad was the lesser negative impact. Zach's dad made him leave, Bazz' dad violated NCAA rules, and Lavar went to games and talked a bunch but really had no impact on UCLA at all that year.

Since then obviously LAvar has taken it to a whole other level of annoying.

I never root against UCLA players and I don't with Zach either but he still has to decide does he want to be a highlight player or a winner.
Yeah, I saw that in his "good" year he was one of the worst players in the league in team offensive and defensive impact. Basically, he can score at a decent rate and isn't even interested in doing anything else.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe the bulls are matching that. What position did the Kings have planned for him? He isn't a point guard by any stretch of the imagination and Buddy Hield is their owners golden boy.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that in his "good" year he was one of the worst players in the league in team offensive and defensive impact. Basically, he can score at a decent rate and isn't even interested in doing anything else.

Young Gerald Green. If you can afford to have him on your bench for instant offense it's fine as long as you don't rely on him and can bench him if he isn't hot. Counting on him to be a 20mil player seems like a disaster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the bulls are matching that. What position did the Kings have planned for him? He isn't a point guard by any stretch of the imagination and Buddy Hield is their owners golden boy.

It's always a tough call. Do you overpay to keep someone or do you let him walk for nothing? I figure if you think he might have trade value, you sign him and move him when he's eligible. And with someone like Lavine, he can probably create enough interest to make the signing reasonable.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's always a tough call. Do you overpay to keep someone or do you let him walk for nothing? I figure if you think he might have trade value, you sign him and move him when he's eligible. And with someone like Lavine, he can probably create enough interest to make the signing reasonable.
To me he's borderline among the players I wouldn't take for free. Yep, he can shoot and he can throw down highlight dunks, but he hurts his team on both ends. On offense because he can't create for anyone else... and also doesn't play off the ball and on D he may as well not exist.

It's really hard to win with one of those guys.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me he's borderline among the players I wouldn't take for free. Yep, he can shoot and he can throw down highlight dunks, but he hurts his team on both ends. On offense because he can't create for anyone else... and also doesn't play off the ball and on D he may as well not exist.

It's really hard to win with one of those guys.

I don't disagree at all but he can put up numbers and the highlight shows love him. It should create enough interest to trade him for value down the road and that's assuming he doesn't improve. Players like that rarely do get it together but someone might still buy into his future. Someone named Vivek maybe, although Chicago would have to hold onto him a little longer if he's their only buyer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't disagree at all but he can put up numbers and the highlight shows love him. It should create enough interest to trade him for value down the road and that's assuming he doesn't improve. Players like that rarely do get it together but someone might still buy into his future. Someone named Vivek maybe, although Chicago would have to hold onto him a little longer if he's their only buyer.

Isn't there some rule about matched free agent contracts where now the kings can't get him while he's on that deal? I might be totally wrong but I thought it came but back in the Eric Gordon offer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't there some rule about matched free agent contracts where now the kings can't get him while he's on that deal? I might be totally wrong but I thought it came but back in the Eric Gordon offer.

Oh, I didn't realize that? I thought it was just that the offering team couldn't trade for him for a full season but it's not something I know much about.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't realize that? I thought it was just that the offering team couldn't trade for him for a full season but it's not something I know much about.
That could be right, the length of the deal seems excessive.