Free agency thread 2022

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We were never a SB contender...even without the complete collapse this season we weren't getting past better more experienced teams in the playoffs. We are closer to a rebuild then we are consistent division winners.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We were never a SB contender...even without the complete collapse this season we weren't getting past better more experienced teams in the playoffs. We are closer to a rebuild then we are consistent division winners.
Every other team in our division has been to the Super Bowl TWICE since we were there, yet somehow, that was worthy of a 6 year extension.

Absolute madness.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With a roster absolutely bleak of cornerstones, I actually think I’ve been underselling Kliff.
Oh baby. We may have hooked another one. Welcome to the team.

I jest, but Kliff might be the only one I have confidence in. I don't believe Keim is capable and I am not certain Kyler is self-aware enough.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
· 1h
Now watch for Marcus Mariota to the #Falcons. Sources say Atlanta is expected to pursue a reunion with Mariota and Arthur Smith, who was with Mariota during his time with the #Titans.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh baby. We may have hooked another one. Welcome to the team.

I jest, but Kliff might be the only one I have confidence in. I don't believe Keim is capable and I am not certain Kyler is self-aware enough.
You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

He was 1 win away from the 2nd most wins in franchise history. That's not nothing.

And I say that as a long time critic.

They are obviously all in on Kliff and see him as a developing coach. Going to be a tough year for him.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was 1 win away from the 2nd most wins in franchise history. That's not nothing.

And I say that as a long time critic.

They are obviously all in on Kliff and see him as a developing coach. Going to be a tough year for him.
And we can run off the accomplishments Kyler has in 3 years. Especially compared to franchise history.

It was more about his confidence in Kliff and then mentioning Kyler not being self-aware. You could argue Kliff still doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Finding common themes between all years given two different levels of football and different personnel is always going to be hard. There are issues with the style of offense that Kingsbury runs. The easy answer is that the Air Raid offense — with its limited formations, motions and concepts — can be schemed up against as the season goes on and the offense does not adjust enough.

Those are questions for another day, however. The issue plaguing the Cardinals this season is one that afflicts many teams. Their quarterback, Kyler Murray, stopped playing exceptional football in unstable environments.

CLIPPED WINGS
As teams figure out the Kliff Kingsbury offense for the ninth year in a row and Murray’s explosive plays move into “unstable” territory, the Cardinals find themselves in a mess. Not having DeAndre Hopkins makes matters worse. The way Arizona's offense is set up, with hyper-specific position alignments for receivers, it can only replace Hopkins with Antoine Wesley to man the “left outside receiver” position and run, to a certain degree, the same plays with a lesser receiver. With Murray generally throwing outside the numbers, those outside receivers prove very important in this offense. Most teams can shuffle players around and find new formations in the case of injury or absence. The Cardinals will not or cannot.

Kyler Murray is as important to the success of the Cardinals as anyone else, and if he’s hitting those “unsustainable” plays at a high rate and Hopkins is on the field being one of the best one-on-one players in the league, the team is still going to be one of the toughest outs in the playoffs.

That helped get the really high highs with Manziel and Mahomes, but some of the downside as well.

FWIW, I like Kliff but either things run smooth or he has no adjustments at the moment. Even the Colt McCoy 3 game run was filled with an big swings in consistency.

Imo both QB and coach are equal in needing to adjust. Im not a 100% sure Kliff wont have that same far off confused look he usually has at the end of the year.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Was he good or was he just good in that scheme? That's the issue with FA's and why so many don't work out.

There are players that are just talented and can adapt and play in any system, but most players are scheme dependent. They play well being asked to be specific things. Like Littleton was at the Rams. Or De'Vondre Campbell or Rasul Douglas has at Green Bay. How Jordan Philips was for a season at the Bills and trash everywhere else.

Douglas is a prime example. Cut 4 times in the last year, couldn't make a 53 then thrived at GB. Did he suddenly get good or did he just find the right role?

That's one thing Keim/coaching hasn't been good at since BA left. The Keim time signings under BA worked because they suited how we played. We haven't been as good at that since.
Like all those FA players signed from away from the Patriots system, they rarely pan out on another team. A good coach makes an average player play well, while VJ needs healthy All pros to keep his system working.

Reaction score
LOL why not? You're literally trying (failing) to argue that Keim bears no responsibility for his failures. Add on that you're attributing to me statements I haven't really made (I've been all over the board bitching about dead money?), although the problems he's created for the team with dead money are absolutely valid.

So, which way would you like it? Is it his problems drafting that creates holes that have to be filled through FA and contracts that hurt us on the back end, or is he somehow blameless in the quagmire that is our current roster/cap situation?

Where have I said that? I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of your complaining. You post a contract that has dead money down the road & say ''see, we can afford such & such why aren't we'' to paraphrase & then when we do that you complain about the dead money. Which is it?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And we can run off the accomplishments Kyler has in 3 years. Especially compared to franchise history.

It was more about his confidence in Kliff and then mentioning Kyler not being self-aware. You could argue Kliff still doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Finding common themes between all years given two different levels of football and different personnel is always going to be hard. There are issues with the style of offense that Kingsbury runs. The easy answer is that the Air Raid offense — with its limited formations, motions and concepts — can be schemed up against as the season goes on and the offense does not adjust enough.

Those are questions for another day, however. The issue plaguing the Cardinals this season is one that afflicts many teams. Their quarterback, Kyler Murray, stopped playing exceptional football in unstable environments.

CLIPPED WINGS
As teams figure out the Kliff Kingsbury offense for the ninth year in a row and Murray’s explosive plays move into “unstable” territory, the Cardinals find themselves in a mess. Not having DeAndre Hopkins makes matters worse. The way Arizona's offense is set up, with hyper-specific position alignments for receivers, it can only replace Hopkins with Antoine Wesley to man the “left outside receiver” position and run, to a certain degree, the same plays with a lesser receiver. With Murray generally throwing outside the numbers, those outside receivers prove very important in this offense. Most teams can shuffle players around and find new formations in the case of injury or absence. The Cardinals will not or cannot.

Kyler Murray is as important to the success of the Cardinals as anyone else, and if he’s hitting those “unsustainable” plays at a high rate and Hopkins is on the field being one of the best one-on-one players in the league, the team is still going to be one of the toughest outs in the playoffs.

That helped get the really high highs with Manziel and Mahomes, but some of the downside as well.

FWIW, I like Kliff but either things run smooth or he has no adjustments at the moment. Even the Colt McCoy 3 game run was filled with an big swings in consistency.

Imo both QB and coach are equal in needing to adjust. Im not a 100% sure Kliff wont have that same far off confused look he usually has at the end of the year.
We can disagree. Every offense will struggle when you have a QB who struggles with pre and post-snap reads. Kyler isn't helping Kliff pre-snap by calling audibles to get into the right play to take advantage of defenses. This results in Kliff calling the perfect play and the defense not audibling OR Rodney Hudson calling an audible for Kyler. Also, Kyler struggling post-snap means that the ball does not come out on time and in rhythm. This leads to missed opportunities, slower progressions, and an increased likelihood of negative plays.

The gap in talent between Colt McCoy and Kyler Murray is incredible but the execution of the offense within the structure was much closer. That shows that Kyler is consistently trying to make plays outside on structure where it is tough for a QB to consistently be successful.

EDIT (This isn't a 100% all or nothing argument. It is a above average % argument)

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Where have I said that? I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of your complaining. You post a contract that has dead money down the road & say ''see, we can afford such & such why aren't we'' to paraphrase & then when we do that you complain about the dead money. Which is it?
You're being a hypocrite and trying to point out supposed hypocrisy using false equivalency. This is clearly not a black and white issue where you can never sign a contract that creates dead money or only sign such contracts. The GM has to have, you know, flexibility. Figure out when to take the risk, when not to take it. When to rely on the draft, when to chase a big-price FA or a big trade. Cooper? Would've plugged a ginormous roster hole and helped our offense immensely, especially with a need to put weapons around KM. I think we should've gone after him. We could've afforded him. It's a disappointment.

Let's put it another way: Are YOU confident going into next year with Nuke, Moore, a bunch of nobodies, and a Keim time draft pick or two at WR? I'm certainly not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05