Free agency thread 2022

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Lance takes the 49ers anywhere next season at all or performs at a very high and consistent level. I for sure don’t want to read another single post from anyone that Kylers faults are due to his lack of college snaps. Which was being thrown around mightily since drafted and even in his 3rd year as a pro this last season….
If Lance can do what Jimmy G did (one drive away from the SB) then I would be completely wrong about him. I consider Lance a bottom 5-7 QB in this league right now. He isn't Justin Fields bad, but he is bad.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff's offense was top 5 worst of the year with McCoy vs the Panthers. Only rookie QBs and Sam Darnold were worse.

Kliff's offense has flaws in it. And you know who knows that? Kilff Kingsbury. Thats why he bailed on Rosen. They outlined exactly what the problem is. He doesn't know when to ditch his offense and go to something more conventional.

Obviously Kyler has to get much pre and post snap. However, the issues are being way more elevated than they really are.

KLIFF acknowledges he just ran the same formula with Wesley and thought it would work. His brain auto-locks at times out there.

Dont tell me you're going to absolve Kliff's own admission he should have done better?

Again I like Kliff. However, no he's not the least of our concerns. He gets equal pie.
Did you just conveniently ignore the two games where McCoy started and they won?

Also, Kliff's offense was terrible with Kyler vs the Rams in the playoffs...so, execution is not as much different between the two as it should be.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Colts will be in the playoffs next year with Matty Ice. That roster is actually missing few holes as the roster has depth unlike ours. They do need another WR. The beast that is a man named Quentin Nelson allows them to get by with an average LT. I’ll be surprised if their backup Will Fries doesn’t man the RG spot this year.
I say they won't with Matty Melt Ice :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If Lance takes the 49ers anywhere next season at all or performs at a very high and consistent level. I for sure don’t want to read another single post from anyone that Kylers faults are due to his lack of college snaps. Which was being thrown around mightily since drafted and even in his 3rd year as a pro this last season….
That's not an "excuse".

QBs with as few college starts as Murray almost never are good in the NFL because of the inexperience factor.

Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells would have never taken Murray on that factor alone.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not an "excuse".

QBs with as few college starts as Murray almost never are good in the NFL because of the inexperience factor.

Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells would have never taken Murray on that factor alone.
It was being used for Kyler as an excuse all the way to the end of this last season. People were still throwing it out there that he just needs time due to lack of college starts… lol

So all I’m saying how’s it gonna look if Lance comes out and kills it this year? After one year as a back up and fewer colllege snaps then Kyler against much inferior talent and missed his entire senior season to boot?

Reaction score
You're being a hypocrite and trying to point out supposed hypocrisy using false equivalency. This is clearly not a black and white issue where you can never sign a contract that creates dead money or only sign such contracts. The GM has to have, you know, flexibility. Figure out when to take the risk, when not to take it. When to rely on the draft, when to chase a big-price FA or a big trade. Cooper? Would've plugged a ginormous roster hole and helped our offense immensely, especially with a need to put weapons around KM. I think we should've gone after him. We could've afforded him. It's a disappointment.

Let's put it another way: Are YOU confident going into next year with Nuke, Moore, a bunch of nobodies, and a Keim time draft pick or two at WR? I'm certainly not.
Lol. Ok...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You say that like Garoppolo is total trash. He’s not. Still played a key role. If Lance plays in a consistently high level and get them back to NFC championship game. Doesn’t have the occasional games where he ***** the bed completely like Kyler etc… Either a lack of college snaps is a viable excuse or they aren’t… If Lance comes in and kills it with his less snap counts then Kyler in college and at a much much lower level of competition then I don’t think that excuse could be used for Kyler anymore at all. Honestly I think it’s overused as it is.

It was overused after year 1. College isn't the NFL. Even 3 year college starters need to adjust the the NFL. After Kyler had started 16 NFL games we should have expected more of a jump in year 2.

Are we really supposed to believe that the extra 408 pass attempts Burrow made in college are the difference between him coming out the gates strong and making the SB in year 2 and Kyler's trajectory being much flatter since his first NFL snap? I don't think so.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t say play average though in my post either… I Was pretty clear about the level of play.

And fyi I do not think Keim is worth his salt in anyway. He’s def screwing the pooch this off season 100% def should not have gotten an extension either. All of which I’ve stated before. Nothing new.

If you ain't attacking Keim in every post then you're defending Keim...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ you do realize that Kyler is heading into his literal 4th season as a full time starter in an offense completely designed to have him succeed? With a coach hired specifically for him. Are you still literally trying to say that lack of college snaps could still be an issue for him? Yet the less talented division 2 guy who Last played in a college game in 2019 is possibly better prepared to play in the NFL then Kyler in his only 2nd year?

Are you somehow trying to convince that if Kyler is still struggling/panicking this coming season “lack of college snaps could still be the issue” ???

This. Most QB's have to learn entirely new scheme and verbiage coming into the NFL. Kyler got a college coach tailoring a scheme around what he was used to and using the same language. He didn't have any of the heavy lifting most QB's have. I believe Kyler even said at one point he's basically playing the same scheme since high school.

The not even college snaps excuse as always been weak after year 1 because 16 games in the NFL are worth 32 in college.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ you do realize that Kyler is heading into his literal 4th season as a full time starter in an offense completely designed to have him succeed? With a coach hired specifically for him. Are you still literally trying to say that lack of college snaps could still be an issue for him? Yet the less talented division 2 guy who Last played in a college game in 2019 is possibly better prepared to play in the NFL then Kyler in his only 2nd year?

Are you somehow trying to convince that if Kyler is still struggling/panicking this coming season “lack of college snaps could still be the issue” ???

You quoted a comment I made about Jimmy G so I'm not sure what point you're making?

I did say Lance and Kyler are not apples to apples and they aren't. Kyler inherited the worst offensive team in the NFL in decades when he took over, Lance is inheriting a team that's been to a SB and an NFC championship game in the last 3 years.

The Cards needed Kyler to play right away and be great, SF didn't play Lance until they had to.

Kyler as a rookie was WAY better than lance as a rookie. We will see how that changes going forward but if you're trying to make comparisons their rookie years weren't even close to comparable.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You quoted a comment I made about Jimmy G so I'm not sure what point you're making?

I did say Lance and Kyler are not apples to apples and they aren't. Kyler inherited the worst offensive team in the NFL in decades when he took over, Lance is inheriting a team that's been to a SB and an NFC championship game in the last 3 years.

The Cards needed Kyler to play right away and be great, SF didn't play Lance until they had to.

Kyler as a rookie was WAY better than lance as a rookie. We will see how that changes going forward but if you're trying to make comparisons their rookie years weren't even close to comparable.
What I’m saying is pretty clear. Regardless of their first years. If Lance by some chance comes out and kills it this year on the field and performs at a high level with his background(less college playing time then Kyler, far less competition, missing his entire senior year) Then we simply need to stop using that excuse for Kyler. Which people were still doing at the end of his 3rd full year as an NFL starter.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Most QB's have to learn entirely new scheme and verbiage coming into the NFL. Kyler got a college coach tailoring a scheme around what he was used to and using the same language. He didn't have any of the heavy lifting most QB's have. I believe Kyler even said at one point he's basically playing the same scheme since high school.

The not even college snaps excuse as always been weak after year 1 because 16 games in the NFL are worth 32 in college.
Yup exactly

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't even know what you guys are trying to prove now? I for one didn't say anything about that. Shane said that IF Lance takes the 49ers anywhere this year it will disprove the claim that kyler's lack of snaps in college was an issue.

My response was Lance isn't going to take them anywhere they will take HIM, just like they did Jimmy G. If you go back I was the guy on this board early in the season saying SF was a SB contender if healthy when the Cards were unbeaten and much of this board was saying Shanahan isn't a good coach his record proves it. now the seasons over they nearly got to the SB again and they're desperately trying to dump the guy who was their QB because he's not very good.

Again you can't remotely compare the situations between the 3 QB. Kyler inherited one of the worst offensive teams in recent NFL history, and it had a first year HC with a losing record in college. You keep saying he is running his college offense we didn't hire Lincoln Riley we hired Kliff. Kyler came into a terrible team that needed a QB to be great right away.

Jimmy G was in an offense that asked him to NOT screw it up and maybe occasionally get the ball to a wide open downfield WR in a game winning situation in a SB(which he missed). Lance inherited the same team but with even less expectation, they didn't even want to play him this past season. When they drafted him it's pretty apparent the plan was for him to replace Jimmy but as was reported constantly and I posted here repeatedly before the season started, after seeing him in camp and preseason they realized he is not ready to play winning NFL football so it made no sense to throw him to the wolves when they had Jimmy. They put together some gadget packages for him and that was the plan until Jimmy got hurt and he had to play.

If Trey Lance walked into a team as bad as the team Kyler inherited and was told you're the man, then we could make a reasonable comparison, but he didn't. No QB in the NFL has had to make less difficult throws the last 3 years than Jimmy G, they'll ask Lance to do the same thing but push it downfield more and run more. He will not have even remotely as much on his shoulders with the 49ers as Kyler did at the same stage with us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I’m saying is pretty clear. Regardless of their first years. If Lance by some chance comes out and kills it this year on the field and performs at a high level with his background(less college playing time then Kyler, far less competition, missing his entire senior year) Then we simply need to stop using that excuse for Kyler. Which people were still doing at the end of his 3rd full year as an NFL starter.

So you want me to concede to a hypothetical that hasn't happened yet and if I don't it means I'm wrongly defending Kyler?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want me to concede to a hypothetical that hasn't happened yet and if I don't it means I'm wrongly defending Kyler?
I didn’t say to concede to anything. I made my point that if it happens we need to stop excusing it for Kyler.. Both actions would happen in the future not at the current time that’s pretty clear I’d say.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05