Free agency thread 2022

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Dollar Bill was totally different. He was just cheap and kept his purse strings tightly closed. The Cards spend money now under Michael. Maybe they are a little too loose on what they spend their money on now?
Michael is not a meddling owner if you compare and contrast him with Jerry Jones. Jerry Jones is a great business guy by being able to make the Cowboys the number one sports income team without winning jack shiat in ages, but a putrid owner if the objective is winning. The Cowboys for the longest time probably have the best scouting staff in the league, but then Jurry manipulates the draft and the coach. Michael wants to win, Michael will spend money, Kliff is all out for getting guys... Keim is the freaking problem and Michael's one fault because you can say what you want, but the Bidwills as a whole are loyal to friendship but that is hindering our franchise

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes zero sense to me. If Trey Lance is not the guy then why not stay with Jimmy G? The guy has done nothing but win for you and his teammates like him.

Niners giving up three 1st for "not the guy" would be hilarious when they could have had Mac Jones where they were.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This makes zero sense to me. If Trey Lance is not the guy then why not stay with Jimmy G? The guy has done nothing but win for you and his teammates like him.
If Lance isn't ready (can't believe he would be), they have the opportunity to help Baker rebuild his value in an insanely QB-friendly offense and get something of value for Garappolo (maybe).

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Lance isn't ready (can't believe he would be), they have the opportunity to help Baker rebuild his value in an insanely QB-friendly offense and get something of value for Garappolo (maybe).
If they really had 2 seconds for Jimmy he would already be gone.

Best case IMO is Baker and Jimmy are a wash cost wise....so whats the point

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They have no QB. Our situations are completely different.
Colts will be in the playoffs next year with Matty Ice. That roster is actually missing few holes as the roster has depth unlike ours. They do need another WR. The beast that is a man named Quentin Nelson allows them to get by with an average LT. I’ll be surprised if their backup Will Fries doesn’t man the RG spot this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If they really had 2 seconds for Jimmy he would already be gone.

Best case IMO is Baker and Jimmy are a wash cost wise....so whats the point
Baker's more aggressive than Jimmy. Jimmy plays like Chiefs Alex Smith, which is fine to get you to the playoffs but probably won't win you a Super Bowl.

Healthy Baker with a talented cast probably makes the Super Bowl.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Colts will be in the playoffs next year with Matty Ice. That roster is actually missing few holes as the roster has depth unlike ours. They do need another WR. The beast that is a man named Quentin Nelson allows them to get by with an average LT. I’ll be surprised if their backup Will Fries doesn’t man the RG spot this year.
Well, NOW they have a QB; they didn't at the time of posting :)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We can disagree. Every offense will struggle when you have a QB who struggles with pre and post-snap reads. Kyler isn't helping Kliff pre-snap by calling audibles to get into the right play to take advantage of defenses. This results in Kliff calling the perfect play and the defense not audibling OR Rodney Hudson calling an audible for Kyler. Also, Kyler struggling post-snap means that the ball does not come out on time and in rhythm. This leads to missed opportunities, slower progressions, and an increased likelihood of negative plays.

The gap in talent between Colt McCoy and Kyler Murray is incredible but the execution of the offense within the structure was much closer. That shows that Kyler is consistently trying to make plays outside on structure where it is tough for a QB to consistently be successful.

EDIT (This isn't a 100% all or nothing argument. It is a above average % argument)
Kliff's offense was top 5 worst of the year with McCoy vs the Panthers. Only rookie QBs and Sam Darnold were worse.

Kliff's offense has flaws in it. And you know who knows that? Kilff Kingsbury. Thats why he bailed on Rosen. They outlined exactly what the problem is. He doesn't know when to ditch his offense and go to something more conventional.

Obviously Kyler has to get much pre and post snap. However, the issues are being way more elevated than they really are.

KLIFF acknowledges he just ran the same formula with Wesley and thought it would work. His brain auto-locks at times out there.

Dont tell me you're going to absolve Kliff's own admission he should have done better?

Again I like Kliff. However, no he's not the least of our concerns. He gets equal pie.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a story out this morning that says don't be surprised if Lance is an MVP candidate next year. Then when you read the story their logic is well Mahomes was, Murray for half of his 2nd year was etc. In other words no specific reason just he could.

The only good thing I've read is that by the end of the year Lance was no longer consistently missing high, that was his problem all through camp and preseason, when he missed the ball sailed, like the pick he threw against us. McNabb was never amazing but the reason he threw so few INT's relatively speaking was when he missed, it was low, usually burying into the turf, if you're going to be inaccurate that's where to miss. Lance all last year was missing high something Steve Young mentioned repeatedly. the claim is they've coached that out of him

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a story out this morning that says don't be surprised if Lance is an MVP candidate next year. Then when you read the story their logic is well Mahomes was, Murray for half of his 2nd year was etc. In other words no specific reason just he could.

The only good thing I've read is that by the end of the year Lance was no longer consistently missing high, that was his problem all through camp and preseason, when he missed the ball sailed, like the pick he threw against us. McNabb was never amazing but the reason he threw so few INT's relatively speaking was when he missed, it was low, usually burying into the turf, if you're going to be inaccurate that's where to miss. Lance all last year was missing high something Steve Young mentioned repeatedly. the claim is they've coached that out of him
If Lance takes the 49ers anywhere next season at all or performs at a very high and consistent level. I for sure don’t want to read another single post from anyone that Kylers faults are due to his lack of college snaps. Which was being thrown around mightily since drafted and even in his 3rd year as a pro this last season….

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Idk about MVP. However, if he gets a nice improvement with his accuracy he could be really good.

Kyle has made RG3 and Jimmy G look really good at times. They have the talent on offense IMO.
If Lance takes the 49ers anywhere next season at all or performs at a very high and consistent level. I for sure don’t want to read another single post from anyone that Kylers faults are due to his lack of college snaps. Which was being thrown around mightily since drafted and even in his 3rd year as a pro this last season….
No we'll just say he went to a team not far removed from the Super Bowl and not a team that won 3 games the year prior and now with a former college coach. ;)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man FA is slow this year. After the initial few days it's dead.

Another day running down and barely a move.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You have to define takes them anywhere. 2 of the last 3 years they've been to the SB and the NFC title game with Jimmy G at QB. They have a VERY good team aside from QB. If Lance just doesn't suck they're probably going to be good again.

It is all over the map on him right now there were local reports they asked about Watson, they were looking at other guys etc. Then others said they might keep Jimmy, or they're locked in on Lance.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You have to define takes them anywhere. 2 of the last 3 years they've been to the SB and the NFC title game with Jimmy G at QB. They have a VERY good team aside from QB. If Lance just doesn't suck they're probably going to be good again.

It is all over the map on him right now there were local reports they asked about Watson, they were looking at other guys etc. Then others said they might keep Jimmy, or they're locked in on Lance.
They're gambling on him being Josh Allen 2.0.

The problem is he'll probably be more Josh Allen year 2. However, they are talented enough where that might be enough.

His biggest hurdle is avoiding hits. He's not going to last 17 games trying to truck LBs.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You say that like Garoppolo is total trash. He’s not. Still played a key role. If Lance plays in a consistently high level and get them back to NFC championship game. Doesn’t have the occasional games where he ***** the bed completely like Kyler etc… Either a lack of college snaps is a viable excuse or they aren’t… If Lance comes in and kills it with his less snap counts then Kyler in college and at a much much lower level of competition then I don’t think that excuse could be used for Kyler anymore at all. Honestly I think it’s overused as it is.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man FA is slow this year. After the initial few days it's dead.

Another day running down and barely a move.

Aside from all of the crazy trades this has been a really quite FA period so far. Except for the Jags blowing their wad on 4 midling FAs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lance can be average & the Niners can still make the SB. They made it to two NFC championships & 1 SB with average QB play, which says a lot on how they built that team. I love how you -never- want to criticize our GM in charge.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jimmy G in 2019 playoff run leading up to the SB:

Two games: 201 yards & 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

Jimmy G in 2021 playoff run leading up to the NFC Ship:

Two games: 303 yards & 0:2 TD/INT ratio.

“Still played a key role”

lmaoooooo

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say that like Garoppolo is total trash. He’s not. Still played a key role. If Lance plays in a consistently high level and get them back to NFC championship game. Doesn’t have the occasional games where he ***** the bed completely like Kyler etc… Either a lack of college snaps is a viable excuse or they aren’t… If Lance comes in and kills it with his less snap counts then Kyler in college and at a much much lower level of competition then I don’t think that excuse could be used for Kyler anymore at all. Honestly I think it’s overused as it is.

I don't think Lance will be as good as Kyler but it's not apples to apples. Kyler started from jump with a team that had one of the worst offenses in recent NFL history the year before, and a rookie head coach. Lance spent most of his first year learning from Jimmy G, with a IMO very good coach in Shanahan.

Lance's first full year as starter will be year 2, on a team that was in the NFC title game the prior year. he has far less pressure to excel they don't need him to be Mahomes they just need him to make some of the big plays Jimmy left on the field every game and not make a bunch of mistakes. He's more raw than Kyler coming in I agree, but you can't just make comparisons most QB's that get picked that high don't go to a team that is that close to a SB team.

Jimmy is not trash but the point is there's a reason they are trying to dump him after being to a SB and a NFC title game with him in the last 3 years, they know he's simply not good enough. For them to win the defense and run game has to dominate and they're not convinced that's possible right now in a league so dominated by passing. You're just not likely going to beat KC or now the Bengals with just defense and a run game, you have to be able to make SOME plays in the passing game.

Remember the SB he has a guy wide open for a game winning TD and misses him. A couple of plays later has a guy wide open for a huge gain and doesn't throw the ball and IIRC gets sacked. That's why they drafted Lance.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lance can be average & the Niners can still make the SB. They made it to two NFC championships & 1 SB with average QB play, which says a lot on how they built that team. I love how you -never- want to criticize our GM in charge.
I didn’t say play average though in my post either… I Was pretty clear about the level of play.

And fyi I do not think Keim is worth his salt in anyway. He’s def screwing the pooch this off season 100% def should not have gotten an extension either. All of which I’ve stated before. Nothing new.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy G in 2019 playoff run leading up to the SB:

Two games: 201 yards & 1:1 TD/INT ratio.

Jimmy G in 2021 playoff run leading up to the NFC Ship:

Two games: 303 yards & 0:2 TD/INT ratio.

“Still played a key role”

lmaoooooo

I can't find it right now but I read an article today that said he had a QB rating of like 40 in the fourth quarter of close games it was something like the 3rd lowest rating of all QB's in the entire NFL. And it's for like the last 3 years combined not just last year when he had the shoulder injury.

That's their issue with him he's fine when everything is working but when they need him to make a play, he usually doesn't.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find it right now but I read an article today that said he had a QB rating of like 40 in the fourth quarter of close games it was something like the 3rd lowest rating of all QB's in the entire NFL. And it's for like the last 3 years combined not just last year when he had the shoulder injury.

That's their issue with him he's fine when everything is working but when they need him to make a play, he usually doesn't.

Russ you do realize that Kyler is heading into his literal 4th season as a full time starter in an offense completely designed to have him succeed? With a coach hired specifically for him. Are you still literally trying to say that lack of college snaps could still be an issue for him? Yet the less talented division 2 guy who Last played in a college game in 2019 is possibly better prepared to play in the NFL then Kyler in his only 2nd year?

Are you somehow trying to convince that if Kyler is still struggling/panicking this coming season “lack of college snaps could still be the issue” ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05