Free agency thread 2022

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We gotta stop acting like Ertz is some dominating threat or even to what he was years ago. Before the injury, I would put up Maxx before Ertz. I hated the extension & will still do unless Ertz turns into a good blocker overnight.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its come to people hyping Ertz who is about to be 32 and the Eagles couldn't wait to get rid of him.

I think its Kyler who is being far undersold here. FWIW, healthy Hopkins and I still believe he can get it done though.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We gotta stop acting like Ertz is some dominating threat or even to what he was years ago. Before the injury, I would put up Maxx before Ertz. I hated the extension & will still do unless Ertz turns into a good blocker overnight.
He's basically a more polished Dan Arnold in this offense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking like Keim has to have a good draft.

I think that's an oxymoron.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's looking like Keim has to have a good draft.

I think that's an oxymoron.
Problem is, a good draft won't be enough. He pretty much needs to hit on either a starter (and super high-level starter at that) or a solid contributor with EVERY DAMN PICK, or we're in a boat load of trouble. Unless, of course, he works all kinds of roster magic before the draft. Who here is confident of that? *crickets*

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem is, a good draft won't be enough. He pretty much needs to hit on either a starter (and super high-level starter at that) or a solid contributor with EVERY DAMN PICK, or we're in a boat load of trouble. Unless, of course, he works all kinds of roster magic before the draft. Who here is confident of that? *crickets*

There is no reason to believe this draft will be different than other... lots of hope and then disappointment.

I was being a bit sarcastic with my comments.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You quoted a comment I made about Jimmy G so I'm not sure what point you're making?

I did say Lance and Kyler are not apples to apples and they aren't. Kyler inherited the worst offensive team in the NFL in decades when he took over, Lance is inheriting a team that's been to a SB and an NFC championship game in the last 3 years.

The Cards needed Kyler to play right away and be great, SF didn't play Lance until they had to.

Kyler as a rookie was WAY better than lance as a rookie. We will see how that changes going forward but if you're trying to make comparisons their rookie years weren't even close to comparable.
I agree. And let’s not forget that Kyler took over, not just the worst team in the NFL, but arguable the worst Cardinal team in franchise history. Murray needs weapons around him. And a little luck so that those weapons stay healthy. Burrow impressed in year 2, but had probably the best WR group in the NFL. Bengals were also fortunate that they stayed healthy, while everyone else in their division did not. Let’s see how they perform if the AFC North teams return to some semblance of healthy.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. And let’s not forget that Kyler took over, not just the worst team in the NFL, but arguable the worst Cardinal team in franchise history. Murray needs weapons around him. And a little luck so that those weapons stay healthy. Burrow impressed in year 2, but had probably the best WR group in the NFL. Bengals were also fortunate that they stayed healthy, while everyone else in their division did not. Let’s see how they perform if the AFC North teams return to some semblance of healthy.
Kyler took over the 2000 Cardinals? :D

Statistically the 2018 Cards were worse for sure, but the 2000 season was depressing without hope at all IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ertz ain't close to any of those #2's, and teams don't really have to gameplan for him. Hell, teams had much more to worry about when Maxxxxx was healthy!

After that, we have a WR who catches everything behind the line of scrimmage with injury issues and a bunch of yuck. Even losing Edmonds is a big deal, for both Kyler in terms of weapons and Conner usage.

Even state TV (98.7) is shaking their heads at the Cards so far, which is surprising. Maybe they'll even get Wolf to say something bad!

In terms of our line, we spend the money, but I don't think anyone can say we're close to a dominant line, let alone a very good one. Outside of center, we could use upgrades all around. Humprhies is ok, but the team is almost backed into a corner to pay him big money for the sake of continuity.

Keim better have some incredibly aces up his sleeve this time because we're looking at a 7-10 or 8-9 team at this point.
Well, Ertz is getting paid to be.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I get it, but we are paying Ertz to be the #2 WR option.

Same with our offensive line. We are #10 in positional spending on the OL. We are paying for top 10 production.

Kyler is being given.

#11 highest paid RB (per year avg)
#2 highest paid WR (per year avg)
#10 highest paid TE (per year avg)
#10 highest cap dollars for OL in 2022.

You can argue about the quality of players that money is being spent on, but significant cap room is being dedicated to giving him help.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you all really want me to make you sick.

Tyreek Hill - 18 mil (per year avg)
Travis Kelce - 14.3 mil (p y a)

Combined 32.3 mil.

Deandre Hopkins - 27.2
Zach Ertz - 10.5

Combined - 37.7 mil.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same with our offensive line. We are #10 in positional spending on the OL. We are paying for top 10 production.

Kyler is being given.

You can argue about the quality of players that money is being spent on, but significant cap room is being dedicated to giving him help.
The biggest problem?

Obtained through trade.
Obtained through trade.
Obtained through trade.
3/5th obtained through trade.

This is the cost effect.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kyler is being given.

This just shows that Keim is an idiot.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler took over the 2000 Cardinals? :D

Statistically the 2018 Cards were worse for sure, but the 2000 season was depressing without hope at all IMO.
BOTH were awful. I give the nod to the 2018 team, because they were totally, completely unwatchable on both sides of the ball & Wilks was by far the worst HC we ever had & that’s saying something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05