Free agency thread 2022

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either Kyler’s the man or he ain’t. He will either be top 5 or middle of the road. He’s not going to be dreadful.

But enough of the excuses.
The excuses can be considered when the offensive is still ignored and the wr corp is just Hopkins basically

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't even know what you guys are trying to prove now? I for one didn't say anything about that. Shane said that IF Lance takes the 49ers anywhere this year it will disprove the claim that kyler's lack of snaps in college was an issue.

My response was Lance isn't going to take them anywhere they will take HIM, just like they did Jimmy G. If you go back I was the guy on this board early in the season saying SF was a SB contender if healthy when the Cards were unbeaten and much of this board was saying Shanahan isn't a good coach his record proves it. now the seasons over they nearly got to the SB again and they're desperately trying to dump the guy who was their QB because he's not very good.

Again you can't remotely compare the situations between the 3 QB. Kyler inherited one of the worst offensive teams in recent NFL history, and it had a first year HC with a losing record in college. You keep saying he is running his college offense we didn't hire Lincoln Riley we hired Kliff. Kyler came into a terrible team that needed a QB to be great right away.

Jimmy G was in an offense that asked him to NOT screw it up and maybe occasionally get the ball to a wide open downfield WR in a game winning situation in a SB(which he missed). Lance inherited the same team but with even less expectation, they didn't even want to play him this past season. When they drafted him it's pretty apparent the plan was for him to replace Jimmy but as was reported constantly and I posted here repeatedly before the season started, after seeing him in camp and preseason they realized he is not ready to play winning NFL football so it made no sense to throw him to the wolves when they had Jimmy. They put together some gadget packages for him and that was the plan until Jimmy got hurt and he had to play.

If Trey Lance walked into a team as bad as the team Kyler inherited and was told you're the man, then we could make a reasonable comparison, but he didn't. No QB in the NFL has had to make less difficult throws the last 3 years than Jimmy G, they'll ask Lance to do the same thing but push it downfield more and run more. He will not have even remotely as much on his shoulders with the 49ers as Kyler did at the same stage with us.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I like Fred Johnson. I liked him coming out of Florida. I can't remember why he went undrafted because if I recall he was a 4 or 5 star recruit coming out of high school.

Don't know what they deal with his salary is though after the Bengals tendered him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The excuses can be considered when the offensive is still ignored and the wr corp is just Hopkins basically
Yes. However there are things that at this point should never happen. Running out of bounds instead of throwing it away. Take a safety rather than a pick 6. Pre and post snap reads.
There were many plays last year that were successful but actually wrong.
Throwing an incomplete 20 yard pass on 3rd and 4 when there’s a wide open te or rb to get the first down.
Perfect example was sgainst the beard last year.
Fourth and 3 on the Bears 25 yard line. No score. Murray hits Hopkins for a touchdown. It took and absolutely perfect pass a phenomenal catch which at first was actually ruled out of bounds then overturned.
Truth is Connors was Wide open on the 10 yard line and would have probably scored.
At that point of the game Kyler chose the wrong read. Then we have a coach who actually said with a smile, “ Well I can’t question the decision to throw to Hopkins.”
In a dire situation okay. In a game management situation wrong. And Kyler missed plenty of secondary receivers while trying to rely on his athletic ability. He needs to get MUCH better at that.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. However there are things that at this point should never happen. Running out of bounds instead of throwing it away. Take a safety rather than a pick 6. Pre and post snap reads.
There were many plays last year that were successful but actually wrong.
Throwing an incomplete 20 yard pass on 3rd and 4 when there’s a wide open te or rb to get the first down.
Perfect example was sgainst the beard last year.
Fourth and 3 on the Bears 25 yard line. No score. Murray hits Hopkins for a touchdown. It took and absolutely perfect pass a phenomenal catch which at first was actually ruled out of bounds then overturned.
Truth is Connors was Wide open on the 10 yard line and would have probably scored.
At that point of the game Kyler chose the wrong read. Then we have a coach who actually said with a smile, “ Well I can’t question the decision to throw to Hopkins.”
In a dire situation okay. In a game management situation wrong. And Kyler missed plenty of secondary receivers while trying to rely on his athletic ability. He needs to get MUCH better at that.
Well you know 3 years later it’s “limited college reps” lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Meh. He has Ertz as well. Moore was a high pick. It isn't as barren as most make it out to be when compared to some other teams. At some point a QB needs to elevate his game and use what he has.

KC have Kelce and Hill. (Signed JuJu)
LV have Adams and Waller.
LAC have Keenan and Mike.
Bengals have Tee and Chase.
Bills have Diggs and misc.
49ers have Deebo and Kittle.
Cardinals have Hopkins and Ertz.

Two highly paid weapons is on par with most teams. Whether or not you really like our top two weapons is kinda irrelevant.

In terms of the offensive line, we are currently #10 in dollars spent for 2022.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It was overused after year 1. College isn't the NFL. Even 3 year college starters need to adjust the the NFL. After Kyler had started 16 NFL games we should have expected more of a jump in year 2.

Are we really supposed to believe that the extra 408 pass attempts Burrow made in college are the difference between him coming out the gates strong and making the SB in year 2 and Kyler's trajectory being much flatter since his first NFL snap? I don't think so.
Burrow and Kyler are outliers though. It's nearly unprecedented for a one year starter to be a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ertz ain't close to any of those #2's, and teams don't really have to gameplan for him. Hell, teams had much more to worry about when Maxxxxx was healthy!

After that, we have a WR who catches everything behind the line of scrimmage with injury issues and a bunch of yuck. Even losing Edmonds is a big deal, for both Kyler in terms of weapons and Conner usage.

Even state TV (98.7) is shaking their heads at the Cards so far, which is surprising. Maybe they'll even get Wolf to say something bad!

In terms of our line, we spend the money, but I don't think anyone can say we're close to a dominant line, let alone a very good one. Outside of center, we could use upgrades all around. Humprhies is ok, but the team is almost backed into a corner to pay him big money for the sake of continuity.

Keim better have some incredibly aces up his sleeve this time because we're looking at a 7-10 or 8-9 team at this point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear, if he runs out of bounds for another 3-yard loss rather than throwing the damn ball away...smdh
It makes me want to rip my hair out too. I also see Lamar Jackson doing the same thing, so it isn't only a Kyler thing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burrow and Kyler are outliers though. It's nearly unprecedented for a one year starter to be a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

To be fair. There have been very few 1 year starters drafted that high so not much of a field.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It makes me want to rip my hair out too. I also see Lamar Jackson doing the same thing, so it isn't only a Kyler thing.
That’s like my kid who used to come home and say “well Kenny did it too” As parent I don’t care what Kenny does. Same applies here as a fan.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s like my kid who used to come home and say “well Kenny did it too” As parent I don’t care what Kenny does. Same applies here as a fan.
No it isn't. I admitted that I didn't like seeing Kyler doing it. Read all of it, not only what you want to read.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it isn't. I admitted that I didn't like seeing Kyler doing it. Read all of it, not only what you want to read.
Oh I read it all… And you said it make you wanna pull your hair out yes…and then add a l”but Lamar does it too sometimes” as though that somehow excuses Kyler… You may not mean it that way but that surely how it reads

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I read it all… And you said it make you wanna pull your hair out yes…and then add a l”but Lamar does it too sometimes” as though that somehow excuses Kyler… You may not mean it that way but that surely how it reads
That's you reading into it. Maybe the players are coached this way for some stupid reason.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
$7m per for a 'dime a dozen' running back?

What a waste of Cap space! ;)
Sheez. Agreed. I get bringing back Tommy's boys but damn. You could have given him a take it or leave it deal at a much lower number. Especially with 3 years. But hey, they've won a SB in recent memory so what do I know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05