Gambo: Possible Cousins to suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Gambo is never shy about saying that he has a source on the Suns. In this particular case, he said his source was a Kings insider. Of course, if Cousins himself is trying to force something, I could see Gambo calling that a Kings source.

If Gambo is not getting some information from the Suns he is risking the chance of losing credibility. His sources may be different (non-Suns) but he is still the one putting the story out there.

It's hard to understand Cousins turning down a designated player max extension this summer for 5 years, $207 million unless the Kings are getting cold feet. This is about 35 million more than another team can offer him over the life of the deal.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11...on-designated-player-contract-if-kings-offer/

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone in this draft that's 6'11 and gonna average 28 points and grab 10 rebounds while getting you 4 assist? Doubt it highly doubt it.

If he leaves he leaves man you gotta take risk sometimes. Can't live life scared

Shouldn't live life stupid either. We can just sign him in the offseason (next year) if we really want him. You still haven't given us a good reason to get rid of Warren, Chriss/Bender, Len and a really valuable 1st round pick.

We are in year 7 of the absolute worst stretch in the history of the Suns. We've struggled because we've had very little talent during that stretch, we haven't even had the benefit of someone like your superstar Cousins. Coincidentally, Cousins has been in the NBA for each of those same 7 seasons. His team has won a grand total of 180 games during that stretch. The Suns, again during the worst stretch in the history of the franchise, have won a total of 223 games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, if the Suns traded for Cousins now they would have him for the remainder of this season and the 2017-18 season as well.

You're right, I've been off by a year in several posts now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BTW. On 45% shooting, which is not so hot for a big man shooting that much.

Let me put that in perspective, Alex Len is shooting over 50%, Tyson Chandler is shooting 68% . . . .

I guess he would be in improvement in efficiency for us at the PF spot, but our present usage there is so low, he might hurt us more than help us with his higher usage.

The attitude, low efficiency, losing team, parade of coaches. I am beginning to think fools gold.

Lol seriously. Alex Len and Tyson Chandler do nothing but get put backs and dunks that's why they are at such a high percentage.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't be serious the Kings are a model of a bad franchise to try and act like they've given him everything is just plain wrong.

They're not a model franchise by any means but how many of the questionable moves they’ve made been directly related to Cousins? They’ve only won over 30 games once in his 6 full seasons there. He’s had decent players around him, Rudy Gay, Tyreke Evans, Isaiah Thomas, and Rajon Rondo plus a mix of youth and veterans. I know the West is deeper and more competitive than the East but he hasn’t come close to getting them to the postseason. Since he’s been there the Kings have a winning percentage of 34% and have won 24, 22, 28, 28, 29, and 33 games. All of that with some good coaches too but coaches don't last with Cousins. This year they’re on pace to win 31 games. They’ve shown virtually zero improvement as a team year to year. His win share has actually decreased every year he’s been in the league, in his rookie year it was 7.9 and it’s gone down to 6.0, 5.7, 4.4, 4.2, and just 1.1 last year. They won the most games since he's been there last year but his win share was the lowest it's ever been. Tyson Chandler had a 1.8 win share last season for comparison. We know what he brings to the table and I don't think he's a legit star, definitely not the type to build a team around as his time in Sacramento has shown.

If he can't make his team better than the Suns have been over the last 2-3 seasons then why should we give up the majority of our young developing prospects for him? His supporting cast has been about equal to what the Suns have in terms of production although the Suns have a brighter future, IMO. If he did make us better though, how much better would we be? I think we'd compete for the 8th seed in the playoffs, at best, or just narrowly missing them. So we'd be back where we were a few years ago, stuck picking in the mid-teens but we'd have given up all of the young players we'd acquired and spent time developing the last few years. Acquiring him this season means we'd give up our shot at the #1 overall pick also plus we wouldn't have our pick at all so it wouldn't matter where we finish, we'd end up giving a good lottery pick in a solid draft class for him. He could easily leave after next season also, so we would have given up a ton for nothing. We'd have a "star" though, which seems like it'd be enough for some people, although I don't know why. I'd rather keep Warren, Len, Bender or Chriss, and the pick we're headed towards. Our pick is really valuable now but it should only get more valuable so long as we don't make any huge trades to boost our wins this year. If it's #1 overall it might be enough to trade for a star on it's own. This is a good draft class that is deeper than in years past so we should be able to get a good player anywhere in the top 5. I think it's giving up too much for a guy who's led his team to just as much success as the Suns have had over the last few years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shouldn't live life stupid either. We can just sign him in the offseason (next year) if we really want him. You still haven't given us a good reason to get rid of Warren, Chriss/Bender, Len and a really valuable 1st round pick.

We are in year 7 of the absolute worst stretch in the history of the Suns. We've struggled because we've had very little talent during that stretch, we haven't even had the benefit of someone like your superstar Cousins. Coincidentally, Cousins has been in the NBA for each of those same 7 seasons. His team has won a grand total of 180 games during that stretch. The Suns, again during the worst stretch in the history of the franchise, have won a total of 223 games.

My superstar? Yeah I'm the only one who think that the 26 year old 3x all star who's 6'11 averaging 28 points and 10 rebounds is good. Any of the guys the Suns giving up as good? Ever be as good? Probably no hell of a chance it's a no

And he's been on a really bad team we've been over this. Kings are a joke of a franchise. When the Pelicans kept losing and losing does that mean you don't want Anthony Davis either.

Come on now

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok let's just get this straight. Who exactly are we giving up?

The rumor I am hearing and that was on the radio and bleacher report and other outlets

Len, Warren, #1 for Cousins.

Neither Len or Warren I would consider core players.

Anyone have any links saying otherwise not just oh well I'm hearing or I imagine

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My superstar? Yeah I'm the only one who think that the 26 year old 3x all star who's 6'11 averaging 28 points and 10 rebounds is good. Any of the guys the Suns giving up as good? Ever be as good? Probably no hell of a chance it's a no

And he's been on a really bad team we've been over this. Kings are a joke of a franchise. When the Pelicans kept losing and losing does that mean you don't want Anthony Davis either.

Come on now

I seriously doubt that any one from the group of Len, Warren, Chriss or Bender will be the player Cousins is but if you're going to just point to his great stats and ignore the impact he has on the players around him, I'm going to continue to point at his record.

This will draw some mocking, I'm sure, but if you ask me to choose between Markkanen and Cousins, right now I'd serious consider taking Lauri. I think he's the best chance we've ever seen of a player becoming the "next Nowitzki". He may not average 28 and 10 but I'd be surprised if he didn't "win" more games over his career than Demarcus does.

Demarcus doesn't deserve the full blame for the Kings record but he is surely a big part of it. And the Pelicans with Davis on the roster, in 2 fewer seasons, is only 25 wins away from matching the 7 year win total of Cousins. And I don't know if there's a team that has suffered from more injuries the past several years than the Pelicans. And he doesn't have the attitude issues that Cousins has. So no, I don't see it as the same kind of thing.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The rumor I am hearing and that was on the radio and bleacher report and other outlets

Anyone have any links saying otherwise not just oh well I'm hearing or I imagine

I've yet to hear that rumor. I've heard Warren, Len, Chriss and our pick this season. I've heard Warren, Len, Bender and our pick this season. And I've heard each of those two scenarios upgraded by at least one more highly unprotected picks.

For me, the killer is this year's pick. If I really wanted DeMarcus, I'd give up Len, Warren, Chriss and both Miami picks for Cousins assuming we had assurances from his camp (even though they'd lack any substance). But I think Fultz is special, I think Ball is special and I think there's 5 or 6 others that have a better chance of becoming special than Cousins does. If it's up to me, I don't move that pick for Cousins even if he's locked up long term.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You've yet to hear that rumor? It's the only rumor

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's stay the course and draft Lonzo Ball cause we're not getting to 1 probably end up 2-4 range.

I've always said you know what the Suns need....another PG

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the rumor (Len, Warren, #1 for Cousins) I heard on Gambo and Burns but realistically the Kings would want more. And another team would likely offer more but so could the Suns.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the rumor (Len, Warren, #1 for Cousins) I heard on Gambo and Burns but realistically the Kings would want more.

Ok that's the rumor that's the only rumor. The rest is just guys going well they might want this guy or that guy

No if it's Len, Warren and 1 for Cousins you have to do that deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that's the rumor that's the only rumor. The rest is just guys going well they might want this guy or that guy

I agree. The Suns should roll the dice on this one but I think the Kings would want more.

It is likely the original rumor has mutated or maybe this was only the baseline of the trade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the rumor (Len, Warren, #1 for Cousins) I heard on Gambo and Burns but realistically the Kings would want more. And another team would likely offer more but so could the Suns.

Actually, the first time Gambo mentioned the trade on that show he actually said more than just your quote above. It was pretty clear that he was speculating as to the actual names because he kept saying "maybe someone like" and things like that. At one point he said it would likely be "Len, Warren and probably another player because it would need to be a 3 or 4 for 1". I used the quote despite bringing it back from memory, I might be off by a word or three.

In subsequent conversations from him over the air and with other sources talking to him it's been fleshed out to either include Bender or Chriss and quite possibly even 1 or 2 more additional picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, it's not. Go back and listen to his show, it's still available on Arizonasports.com.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the first time Gambo mentioned the trade on that show he actually said more than just your quote above. It was pretty clear that he was speculating as to the actual names because he kept saying "maybe someone like" and things like that. At one point he said it would likely be "Len, Warren and probably another player because it would need to be a 3 or 4 for 1". I used the quote despite bringing it back from memory, I might be off by a word or three.

In subsequent conversations from him over the air and with other sources talking to him it's been fleshed out to either include Bender or Chriss and quite possibly even 1 or 2 more additional picks.

I'm not quoting, I'm just saying what I heard on the radio when the rumor first game out on "Gambo and Burns." I didn't listen to the entire show. We agree, the Kings would want more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not quoting, I'm just saying what I heard on the radio when the rumor first game out on "Gambo and Burns." I didn't listen to the entire show. We agree, the Kings would want more.

Yeah, but my quote above is almost exact and it's from the beginning of that segment. I don't know if we're talking about the same show, the one I'm referring to they opened the hour with clips of Bledsoe to Cousins highlights from their year together at Kentucky? My point though is if you listen to it, he isn't really saying it's this guy or that guy. He's saying it will be 2 or 3 young players and then he names Len and Warren as possible names rather than as guaranteed names.

The Kings "insiders" side of this suggest that the deal was more involved than Gambo has reported. It involved Warren, Len and either Chriss or Bender plus our first round pick this season and probably one more first rounder. Of course, Kings fans don't think even that's enough. Many of them seem to feel it would take those 3 players, our pick and both Miami picks at a minimum. I kind of think they are right, and that's a bad deal for us IMO.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Griffin is taking it to the Suns tonight. Suns don't have "that guy". Do it!

I'd keep Warren, wouldn't let Booker, Bledsoe, Chriss and Len go though. I say Len because there's always a need for a backup center, he isn't garbage. Kings probably need a center in return for Cousins though.

I just don't see Bender panning out. He's got some length but may be more of an AK47 type of player without any legit offense right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but my quote above is almost exact and it's from the beginning of that segment. I don't know if we're talking about the same show, the one I'm referring to they opened the hour with clips of Bledsoe to Cousins highlights from their year together at Kentucky? My point though is if you listen to it, he isn't really saying it's this guy or that guy. He's saying it will be 2 or 3 young players and then he names Len and Warren as possible names rather than as guaranteed names.

I didn't listen to the entire show. I tuned in as soon as I saw Gambo's tweet about the trade rumor... not the start of the show.

The Kings "insiders" side of this suggest that the deal was more involved than Gambo has reported. It involved Warren, Len and either Chriss or Bender plus our first round pick this season and probably one more first rounder. Of course, Kings fans don't think even that's enough. Many of them seem to feel it would take those 3 players, our pick and both Miami picks at a minimum. I kind of think they are right, and that's a bad deal for us IMO.

As I said, it only stands, the Kings would want more.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score

Gambo said Chriss wouldn't be in the deal. Phoenix likes him too much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said Chriss wouldn't be in the deal. Phoenix likes him too much.

He's probably had several on air conversations about this rumor and I haven't listened to all of them but he didn't say anything like this during his initial episode on it. He did, however, say almost those exact words about Booker though.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If it happens it would be this summer. Also the Kings have no use for Len.

Top-3 pick (unless it's #1)
Warren
Bender (the Kings had the opportunity to draft Chriss)
Possibly Ulis or another future 1st

I wouldn't necessarily make that trade but I think that's what I'd take...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking, let the Kings pay Cousins $207 million if they want to keep on the same path. :hairraise

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05