Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
So give me your version of a 2023 Cardinal pep talk
turdtumblers

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really based on nothing? Widely reported the staff didn't want Isabella but kk and SK drafted him anyway. There are more but it could be as simple as the scouts, SK, an KK we're not in the same page. It's starts with the Coach telling the GM what he needs, and the GM telling the scouts what they are looking for. Type of players they want to fit into certain schemes. It's not just a single thing saying the scouts suck because the cards drafted the wrong dude. Wanting the staff replaced is completely based on absolutely nothing. Imo
Lol… based on nothing? it’s based on the years of trash drafting/FA decisions.

oh… right… you contend that those were all Keim and Kliff’s fault, right? Well, guess what… that idiot you blame for all the terrible decisions ALSO was the same idiot who PUT THIS SCOUTING TEAM TOGETHER. But I’m sure he was great at that part of the job, right?

come on guys…

Last edited:

pemory09

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol… based on nothing? it’s based on the years of trash drafting/FA decisions.

oh… right… you contend that those were all Keim and Kliff’s fault, right? Well, guess what… that idiot you blame for all the terrible decisions ALSO was the same idiot who PUT THIS SCOUTING TEAM TOGETHER. But I’m sure he was great at that part of the job, right?

come on guys…
Please, for the love of God, no more Andy Isabella talk. Ever. Please! :bang:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nuh uh. Never said good, young and cheap. Good, young, and decently priced. You need plenty of good, solid, non-star players on a roster. The cheap ones you'll get in the draft, if you're good. They can be had in FA, and they can be had without absolutely breaking the bank, but they will certainly not be "cheap."

Ok, to use your own words "Good, young, middle-of-the-road FAs with upside are what I was advocating for." I assume "middle of the road" means value in this context.

So who? I sent you a link of all players signed in FA yesterday. Which of them fit that bill for you?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ok, to use your own words "Good, young, middle-of-the-road FAs with upside are what I was advocating for." I assume "middle of the road" means value in this context.

So who? I sent you a link of all players signed in FA yesterday. Which of them fit that bill for you?
Ugh, a practice in futility. But sure, I'll bite. Send the list again (I don't recall it) and I'll take a gander.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think Samer is, but even if he were, what does that have to do with the quotes from JG where he’s a jerk to people?

What quotes where he is a jerk to people? I've read both the dominator and athletic articles and there's nothing about him being a jerk to people.

Stout

Reaction score
First thought--Zach Allen has a 6mill cap hit and half this board is crying he's too expensive lol

Lazard would have been a good signing. Same with Sutton. Just over a 3 mill cap hit each on multi-year deals. Both in their prime. That's two at a quick glance. But nah, nobody available in that range that could've helped us.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
First thought--Zach Allen has a 6mill cap hit and half this board is crying he's too expensive lol

That's not how it works.

You can give anyone a low cap number in one year but you are going to have to pay for it later.
In this case, Zach's cap hit the next two years is $19m and $17m.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you didn't answer ANY of my questions.

why the hell are one or two GOOD FAs going to come to a team that's been a complete and utter abortion for two straight years while continually ranking amongst the worst franchises in terms of pretty much everything. And are you going to be good with blowing MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CAP space on TWO players since it will take the overspend of a century to get top level players to come to this disaster?

I think its a fair assessment that the players understand how quickly a team can turn things around in the modern NFL. I think agents pay attention, and dependent on how we move forward, your concern is a non issue. Im not saying we WILL do it the right way, but the argument that players wont come here cause we sucked for a second straight years is flimsy at best.

And your all caps in the last sentence is not only hyperbolic, its not what was proposed. Its what you inferred to fit your argument.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The board and this season are gonna be really rough.

If it is as bad as many here think it will be, I think most of the board will hop on for the ride and view it like the entertaining disaster that it will assuredly be.

I don't understand the idea behind the views of the posters here who think this season will be anything but a complete train-wreck, but I respect their optimism.

I really doubt anything in this season is going to be worth crowing over... is there any joy in mocking someone who thought we'd win 5-7 games when we only win 2? I don't think so.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holy hell the "I-Told-you-So's" are going to be INTENSE.

I really don't think so. Only way the "I told you so" will be intense is if the team actually doesn't flat out suck and is competitive, and if so... let em brag, they were right, the coaching staff turned out to be great and the front office knew what they were doing. That is an outcome that most here would feel great about.

Meanwhile, if we're the worst team in the league, why brag? A large portion here thinks we are the worst, the consensus among NFL prognosticators says this is a horrid roster, the odds makers think this is the worst team in the league... I really don't see how "I told you so" will carry much weight when it is backed by the opinion of 98% of the population.

That said... I don't get ya'll that think this team won't be trash. We're trading for 3rd string QBs and tossing em into the starting lineup 5 minutes before the season starts... holy moly is this team going to suck.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really don't think so. Only way the "I told you so" will be intense is if the team actually doesn't flat out suck and is competitive, and if so... let em brag, they were right, the coaching staff turned out to be great and the front office knew what they were doing. That is an outcome that most here would feel great about.

Meanwhile, if we're the worst team in the league, why brag? A large portion here thinks we are the worst, the consensus among NFL prognosticators says this is a horrid roster, the odds makers think this is the worst team in the league... I really don't see how "I told you so" will carry much weight when it is backed by the opinion of 98% of the population.

That said... I don't get ya'll that think this team won't be trash. We're trading for 3rd string QBs and tossing em into the starting lineup 5 minutes before the season starts... holy moly is this team going to suck.

My thoughts on the team are irrlevent to my above belief. I just think people on this board, due to a lack of winning on the field, have all decided that they have to win every damn thread on this board.

Stout

Reaction score
My thoughts on the team are irrlevent to my above belief. I just think people on this board, due to a lack of winning on the field, have all decided that they have to win every damn thread on this board.
I'm not sure if it's about winning threads. My view is that there's part of the board behind everything the team is doing right now, for reasons varying from blind optimism in a new regime to the need to rip out all the rot from the old regime. I can understand where they're coming from, if not agree with them. I get it, because if this new regime isn't doing it right, we are beyond royally screwed long-term. There's part of the board picking apart each and every deal, transaction, move, etc. I put myself in this part. Some moves have been very good--despite my initial reaction and continued preference for the pass rusher at #3, I got behind the trade back--and some moves we view as horrendous. Then there's the entire spectrum in between.

Funny thing is, I think darksiders are going to be more upbeat as we lose, because we've been ready for it, and I think those full of hope will become more bitter as we lose. It's going to be a weird season and a nutty ride. Let's get started :D

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great, he can do that with the assistance of the new scouting department he--nope, we still have the same scouting department. Which was the excuse some made for Monti for not doing more this offseason. Yet why hasn't he begun working on that future you mentioned, and with the college season now under way?

Wow!

And what exactly do you know about what Monti and his scouting staff are doing at this point?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What quotes where he is a jerk to people? I've read both the dominator and athletic articles and there's nothing about him being a jerk to people.
I’m sure you have a very baroque explanation for why this isn’t being a jerk, but here is one example:

After he ripped into a player during a meeting this summer, one of his assistants pulled him aside afterward, telling him he crossed the line. Gannon thought about it for a minute, then realized the assistant was right.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’m sure you have a very baroque explanation for why this isn’t being a jerk, but here is one example:
IMO, he made a bad decision...being a jerk, however, would be to double down on that bad decision and insist it was right. Having the ability to reflect and change course indicates not being a jerk...again, that's how I look at things.

Good people make bad decisions.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lazard would have been a good signing. Same with Sutton. Just over a 3 mill cap hit each on multi-year deals. Both in their prime. That's two at a quick glance. But nah, nobody available in that range that could've helped us.

Apart from the fact Lazard went to the Jets to be with Rodgers who he knew was going there I'm still not sure how us spending $11m per on a guy who's best year is 788 yards would have been a wise move.

I'm not sure paying $11m per for a slot corner would have been great either. I know he's played outside some but he's 5'11" and run 4.52.

I think both would have been very poor ways to spend money for this team, and I'd rather have Wilson and Clark personally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22