Gannon roasted for pep talk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I think we will spend all of our cap next year? Probably not. (unless we decide to cut Kyler for some strange reason and eat the cap space that way) I'd completely advocate for it though, since that was the question.

Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap. While I haven't done the numbers, you would think that they will need to spend enough to get one or two good free agents next year.
you didn't answer ANY of my questions.

why the hell are one or two GOOD FAs going to come to a team that's been a complete and utter abortion for two straight years while continually ranking amongst the worst franchises in terms of pretty much everything. And are you going to be good with blowing MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CAP space on TWO players since it will take the overspend of a century to get top level players to come to this disaster?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whose to say they feel as though they need to revamp the scouting department? It seems to me the problem was SK thought he was smarter than everyone else. So maybe he didn't listen to them or was able to properly assess the information being given to him. It seemed to me he went rouge and didn't listen to the scouts anyway.
this is based on absolutely nothing.

my question is why would a new GM, who wants to start completely fresh, not start completely fresh with the people who scouted what he believed to be trash for the most part and needed to start over?

if the team needed a clean sweep, why the hell haven't they made a clean sweep?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score

Tried to read the whole Athletic article but it’s behind a paywall. Oof.

As long as you win you can be an a-hole, but Gannon hasn’t won anything ever.
LOL this is a deranged argument.

Rookie Michael Jordan has never won anything ever either.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score

why the hell are one or two GOOD FAs going to come to a team that's been a complete and utter abortion for two straight years while continually ranking amongst the worst franchises in terms of pretty much everything.
Why did players sign with the Lions?
And are you going to be good with blowing MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CAP space on TWO players since it will take the overspend of a century to get top level players to come to this disaster?
This just shows how little you know about building a good team. How many good teams are built on high priced free agents. The next Cardinals play off team is going to be built around Paris Johnson and all the other draft picks on the roster.

Rarely do any wart free players make it to free agency. You can find good to middling players in free agency, but the best players are had via draft or trade.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Whose to say they feel as though they need to revamp the scouting department? It seems to me the problem was SK thought he was smarter than everyone else. So maybe he didn't listen to them or was able to properly assess the information being given to him. It seemed to me he went rouge and didn't listen to the scouts anyway.
Or it could be as simple as adjusting the traits they look for.
For the top 100 players anybody can pull hundreds of snaps from the internet. But film doesn't really show work ethic, dedication, how he treats his teammates or how he treats the campus janitors. Lots of guys get less PT because they are less athletic...so they don't get highlight reels or go in the first couple rounds. But they can be better pros because they are instinctive and take better angles

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

why the hell are one or two GOOD FAs going to come to a team that's been a complete and utter abortion for two straight years while continually ranking amongst the worst franchises in terms of pretty much everything. And are you going to be good with blowing MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF CAP space on TWO players since it will take the overspend of a century to get top level players to come to this disaster?
The same reason why most free agents leave teams. Money. Hell, we had a top 3 player (at their respective position) leave our team and his primary motivation was money.

But using your logic, why would any good free agent have signed with us this offseason if we have been an utter abortion for two straight years?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He more than adequately wrecked your argument.
lol You're saying that me not wanting to provide a list of players wrecks my argument right after you present an argument saying you don't have to list the same players. You're outdoing yourself, my guy. Purposefully, I have no doubt.

Stout

Reaction score
I get that. If he wants to keep them, fine. But a looot of excuses were slung around about our demurring on FA this year, and those excuses largely centered on Monti not trusting the old regime's scouting department. Those excuses have been proven to be dog poo.

Stout

Reaction score
Good, young AND cheap who would sign multi year deals
Nuh uh. Never said good, young and cheap. Good, young, and decently priced. You need plenty of good, solid, non-star players on a roster. The cheap ones you'll get in the draft, if you're good. They can be had in FA, and they can be had without absolutely breaking the bank, but they will certainly not be "cheap."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get that. If he wants to keep them, fine. But a looot of excuses were slung around about our demurring on FA this year, and those excuses largely centered on Monti not trusting the old regime's scouting department. Those excuses have been proven to be dog poo.
Yup. By the same people now saying they have no problem with the entire scouting department staying as is… even though it’s been atrocious forever.

And to be honest, if he does want these guys, I have almost zero faith in Monty and just buoys my fear that he was just the cheapest, most docile GM the Cardinals could find.

What kind of manager comes into a train wreck and decides he wants all the same engineers who helped produced the train wreck?

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I think bringing in a high level talent evaluator like Dave Sears to be your number 2 man makes a difference. The only evidence we have so far is this year's draft, and between the players selected and the draft choices acquired for year's draft, it sure looks like a success. I guess we'll know more after year two, and next year's draft.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
The Cardinals are not tanking. They have reset their roster and salary cap in Monti's first year. The players and coaches will be actively trying their best to win with what they have.
I’ll dive a bit deeper , as I said before traditional balanced offense is needed to evaluate current players compared to the air red kk offense. The evaluation is not over with Simmons, colt, jones.
I mean we have a host of players that Would be great FA pick ups for other teams if we dumped them.

MAYBE better then FA we can pick up as discussed here. Sanders, Collins, KM ! every pundit says our talent is worse in NFL, so we signed a bunch of waiver players dumped by other teams. Hopefully live action will show cards staff who to keep and who to not with ongoing evaluations.

we are not talentless, KM, conner, Ertz , McBride, brown, baker , Thompson, oline Looks good to me.
we have trade capital and room for long term deals as needed. I will not concede crap until I see this team, play in a traditional fundamentally sound game plan.

Dobbs is good back up quality, I’m not sure about tune? Nobody is, it’s all theory and projection.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yup. By the same people now saying they have no problem with the entire scouting department staying as is… even though it’s been atrocious forever.

And to be honest, if he does want these guys, I have almost zero faith in Monty and just buoys my fear that he was just the cheapest, most docile GM the Cardinals could find.

What kind of manager comes into a train wreck and decides he wants all the same engineers who helped produced the train wreck?
Who said that? I must have missed it?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
this is based on absolutely nothing.

my question is why would a new GM, who wants to start completely fresh, not start completely fresh with the people who scouted what he believed to be trash for the most part and needed to start over?

if the team needed a clean sweep, why the hell haven't they made a clean sweep?
Really based on nothing? Widely reported the staff didn't want Isabella but kk and SK drafted him anyway. There are more but it could be as simple as the scouts, SK, an KK we're not in the same page. It's starts with the Coach telling the GM what he needs, and the GM telling the scouts what they are looking for. Type of players they want to fit into certain schemes. It's not just a single thing saying the scouts suck because the cards drafted the wrong dude. Wanting the staff replaced is completely based on absolutely nothing. Imo

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Rookie Michael Jordan wasn’t an A-hole, either. How many rings did MJ have when he punched Steve Kerr?
And Michael Jordan was absolutely an *****. I don't think anyone would ever say differently. Your argument is just so... silly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22