Garnett punches Rickert

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Link

At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster.

Sounds almost familiar.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Michael Jordan's shot on Steve Kerr during a Chicago Bulls' practice years ago?

It's still inexcusable, but I guarantee Rickert did more than just beat KG on a play. He was probably over celebrating after it.

Joe Mama

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Are you talking about Michael Jordan's shot on Steve Kerr during a Chicago Bulls' practice years ago?

It's still inexcusable, but I guarantee Rickert did more than just beat KG on a play. He was probably over celebrating after it.

Joe Mama

Or Kermit Washington's shot on Rudy Tomjonovich? :shrug: I think Kermit was just in the moment and would have hit anyone that came near him. It was unfortunate that it was such a devastating blow. However, people made a racist deal of it after the fact. That's what it seems like with KG, too.

Djaughe

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:bhiich:

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Would you be speaking of Mr. KG's obvious problem with white people? :shrug:

According to Mitch Lawrence Amare bitch slapped Lampe during practice last season.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing a little about Rickert during his recruiting process out of high school, I would not be surprised if he deserved it. He seems a little full of himself.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Or Kermit Washington's shot on Rudy Tomjonovich? :shrug: I think Kermit was just in the moment and would have hit anyone that came near him. It was unfortunate that it was such a devastating blow. However, people made a racist deal of it after the fact. That's what it seems like with KG, too.

Well, it does seem that it's always these black guys striking the white guys. Washington on Tomjonovich, Shaquille O'Neal tried to knockout Brad Miller, Amare Stoudemire bitch slapped Lampe, Michael Jordan sucker punched Steve Kerr, and now KG nailed Rickert. That's a lot of black on white beatings in the NBA. :)

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Well, it does seem that it's always these black guys striking the white guys. Washington on Tomjonovich, Shaquille O'Neal tried to knockout Brad Miller, Amare Stoudemire bitch slapped Lampe, Michael Jordan sucker punched Steve Kerr, and now KG nailed Rickert. That's a lot of black on white beatings in the NBA. :)

Joe Mama

I'm not sure that's quite fair. Clearly when Steve Francis hit Amare, race had nothing to do with it. I never noticed that Karl Malone discriminated as to who he would take out when he would swing his elbows.

It is not just blacks. Going back a few years, Bill Lambeer was in a class of his own when it came to dirty play and I suspect that physical white inside guys like Pollard have had their moments as well too.

That being said, I do think there is a street ball ethic that leads to violent response when another guy deliberately shows a guy up. It is a kind of "don't make me look bad or I'll hurt you" message to intimidate opponents. It may lead to fines and suspensions, but it the message remains clear.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I'm not sure that's quite fair. Clearly when Steve Francis hit Amare, race had nothing to do with it. I never noticed that Karl Malone discriminated as to who he would take out when he would swing his elbows.

It is not just blacks. Going back a few years, Bill Lambeer was in a class of his own when it came to dirty play and I suspect that physical white inside guys like Pollard have had their moments as well too.

That being said, I do think there is a street ball ethic that leads to violent response when another guy deliberately shows a guy up. It is a kind of "don't make me look bad or I'll hurt you" message to intimidate opponents. It may lead to fines and suspensions, but it the message remains clear.
You may have forgotten Horny getting jacked by Stackhouse while the Mailman stood and watched. That made me realize that Karl was all show and no go.

The street ball mentality is really what makes these things issues. I don't recall guys ready to throw down with every hard foul years ago. You acted like a man, shot your freethrows if you were fouled and put it in the memory bank. Games are long, you always get a shot at a guy if you really want to take it. Defending you manhood with a sucker punch may impress the homies, but it makes you look like a ***** in a man's eyes.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
The street ball mentality is really what makes these things issues. I don't recall guys ready to throw down with every hard foul years ago. You acted like a man, shot your freethrows if you were fouled and put it in the memory bank. Games are long, you always get a shot at a guy if you really want to take it. Defending you manhood with a sucker punch may impress the homies, but it makes you look like a ***** in a man's eyes.

I don't think the NBA has as many problems as you do, but I also don't really like the way the hip-hop/thug mentality has taken over the NBA. I want to see guys celebrate when they make a big play like they used to instead of acting pissed off and yelling at people.

That said, I think you're crazy if you think players were any less willing or ready to throw down after hard fouls years ago. If you honestly believe that you've got some seriously selective memory. In fact I would go as far as to say that players were more willing, anxious, and ready to throw down in the past because the league put up with it a lot more.

George, I really wasn't serious about the black players picking on the white players. I just thought it was funny that all of these latest incidents we've been talking about have been that way. BTW the incidents you used as examples were not the same as the ones I was talking about. The examples I used were all guys throwing punches for the most part when the other player wasn't really ready for it.

Joe Mama

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I don't think the NBA has as many problems as you do, but I also don't really like the way the hip-hop/thug mentality has taken over the NBA. I want to see guys celebrate when they make a big play like they used to instead of acting pissed off and yelling at people.

That said, I think you're crazy if you think players were any less willing or ready to throw down after hard fouls years ago. If you honestly believe that you've got some seriously selective memory. In fact I would go as far as to say that players were more willing, anxious, and ready to throw down in the past because the league put up with it a lot more.

Joe Mama
I agree. I remember most teams in the early 70's had their "enforcer!" I remember a guy on the Celtics who came in just to get justice. You would see a lot of jumpers all of a sudden! :D

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
You may have forgotten Horny getting jacked by Stackhouse while the Mailman stood and watched. That made me realize that Karl was all show and no go.

I find your posts to have quite a racist touch the way you degrade hiphop, "homies", street ball or wrestling or whatever else.

I guess since violence is way more common thing in the NHL they must defend their manhood as well to impress their "homies"..

Despite whatever you say you are probably in the minority since the NBA is on the uprise again and hiphop by far the most succesful music style it looks like and not about to change anytimes soon.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Thank god despite whatever you say you are in the minority since the NBA is on the uprise again and hiphop by far the most succesful music style it looks like and not about to change.
I have done sessions as a professional drummer for all walks of life. No one has the market cornered on nihilism. Maybe hip-hoppers drink 40s at 10 a.m. in the morning. By that time, some rockers I know are hitting their heroin stride or finishing a fifth of Jack. Folk rockers are definately in with the NORML crowd, and I've known few C&W artists who didn't enjoy ending the day at the bottom of a pitcher of domestic beer.

Drugs and alcohol are ingrained in American culture. Sad but true. White NBA players have perfectly mirrored any given cross section of popular culture at any time during their existence. I have no idea why one type of crowd is singled out now as being less than standard. Maybe it's because the media never did a good job of reporting it until the NBA began looking less and less like the people who were doing the reporting. I say this as a former member of the sports media.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
I find your posts to have quite a racist touch the way you degrade hiphop, "homies", street ball or wrestling or whatever else.

I guess since violence is way more common thing in the NHL they must defend their manhood as well to impress their "homies"..

Despite whatever you say you are probably in the minority since the NBA is on the uprise again and hiphop by far the most succesful music style it looks like and not about to change anytimes soon.

how exactl;y do you feel that the NBA is on the uprise again? Because the Fnals had good ratings (when actually compared to the Jordan days - they were still abysmal). Was it the lack of offense in that great Pistons-Pacers series where NO ONE could scroe 80 points?

Personally - I don't see where this uprise is coming from. To me the NBA is as unwatchable as it has ever been - Hell - even the Finals sucked for the most part from a pure basketball point of view - the only thing that made them enertaining was watching the Lakers get the ever living snot knocked out of them.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
even the Finals sucked for the most part from a pure basketball point of view
Are you kidding me? The pistons play some of the purest basketball i've seen in the last decade. They were one of those teams that you loved to watch because they play defense and share the ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
Are you kidding me? The pistons play some of the purest basketball i've seen in the last decade. They were one of those teams that you loved to watch because they play defense and share the ball.

They were able to play as well as they did on O because of Ole defense by the Lakers. Their offense struggled all year long - and even in the playoffs - see the Indiana or NJ series for proof of that.

Were they fun to watch in the Finals - yeah - because the Lakers let them wlak all over them without putting up a fight.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

George, I really wasn't serious about the black players picking on the white players. I just thought it was funny that all of these latest incidents we've been talking about have been that way. BTW the incidents you used as examples were not the same as the ones I was talking about. The examples I used were all guys throwing punches for the most part when the other player wasn't really ready for it.

Joe Mama
Oh, Please, Joe, you can't be serious in comparing the fights of yesteryear with the constant bluster that's constant in todays game. Fights and rough play happened in the '70's and '80's, but now days, everyone feels the need to pump their little chests up and get in someones face at even the slightest foul. It's a rarity when you see someone just bounce right up after a hard foul without a word being spoken to the offender. That would be taking it, instead taking it like a man, in too many of todays players eyes.

Oh, and my post doesn't have anything to do with black players picking on white players. I just see the street ball mentality of needing to put on a show for your boys as the reason you probably see more black players hitting white players.

Maximus

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I never noticed that Karl Malone discriminated as to who he would take out when he would swing his elbows.
I did. His name was Joe Kleine. Remember? :D

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I agree. I remember most teams in the early 70's had their "enforcer!" I remember a guy on the Celtics who came in just to get justice. You would see a lot of jumpers all of a sudden! :D
The enforcer was kind of a by-product of the league. You suddenly had much more speed in the game, and with the rules, hard fouls were tolerated as price you had to willing to pay to drive the lane.

The flagrant foul has really ruined that part of the game to a major degree. Guys drive without the respect they once had for who was there under the basket. You really didn't want to challenge everyone in the league, and that's probably one of the reasons the parimeter shooting has fallen off. I've never really seen the problem with a solid chest to chest foul. I also don't understand the idea behind not letting a guy get off the shot if you know your going to get called. I always got told, 'if your going to get called for a foul, get your money's worth and don't give him the basket and the freethrow'.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
slinslin said:
I guess that's part life, I'll learn to live with it. Some people are always looking for an excuse to play that card. I posted this earlier, so maybe you missed it: Loathing a trend, or attitude isn't racist. It's a taste thing. How could it be racist? Does every black person like Hip Hop? Is Hip Hop only liked by black people? The notion doesn't really make sense. I do truly despise the attitude and antics of those that embrace that culture. It's the least skilled form of musical expression. It glorifies the most negative qualities in people, as in degrading women, drug use, praising violence, articulating through the most inappropriate language, embracing crime, you name it, if it's bad, Hip Hop pumps it up. Trust me, I'm not some squidly little prude that doesn't understand the roots. I worked on videos with Dr. Dre. I had enough chances to see what these guys were all about. It's not pretty. Nothing like seeing a bunch of guys hanging around on a shoot at 9:00 AM with there kids, sucking down Old English and Cognac out of paper bags. By 10:00 the kids were joining in. Nice.

Once you get past the 'cool', you see it for the sh*t it really is.

I guess since violence is way more common thing in the NHL they must defend their manhood as well to impress their "homies"...
A different sport, different style of violence. If you haven't watch both sports for about 40 years, you probably wouldn't have noticed the changes and differences.

That's really kind of comical. The league is in trouble and all but Stern and you seem to realize that. Hip Hop has hit it's peak and will continue to slip down the industry from a cutting edge point of view. All we see now are copycats and wanna be's, all the trend setters are gone. The Seattle sound was supposed to last forever too, and we don't see that much anymore. It all comes and goes. Rap will too.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:

Pretty sure he was joking George. :shrug:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think saying the league is in "trouble" overstates the situation. Overall the NBA is entertaining and pretty competative. It could be better and some of the rule changes have been attempted to help promote better basketball, but I have no doubt more can be done.

One of the problems with rule changes is that they take a while to become integrated into the way teams play. For example, around 1990 or so, the rules were changed to prohibit the use of two hands when trying to keep low post players out of the low block. Prior to that, centers did not have to possess overwhelming upper body strength to play defense, but soon afterward they did. It was a small rule change, but it seriously changed the personality of the game.

The recent changes in defensive rules are likely to have the same effect. Under the old "illegal defense" rules, it made sense to clear out a side and have guys go one on one. Players were recruited for those skills and coaches focused on training players to defend in isolation.

Since the rule change, shooting percentages have gone down as teams have been slow to adapt to the new rules. But as more teams start focusing on ball movement over one on one, shooting skills rather than just athleticism, and team defense; the game is going to evolve. My hope is that it will be toward a somewhat more Europeant style. It it doesn't work, then more rule changes are likely to follow. But it will never be FIBA.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
They were able to play as well as they did on O because of Ole defense by the Lakers. Their offense struggled all year long - and even in the playoffs - see the Indiana or NJ series for proof of that.

Were they fun to watch in the Finals - yeah - because the Lakers let them wlak all over them without putting up a fight.
My favorite series was the Indiana vs. Detroit series. This is was a defensive battle. Of course Deroit struggled offensively against them. Indiana had the second best defense (behind detroit) in the east. Detroit was definetly better in that series and outside of a couple of games, they didnt struggle as much as you think.

New Jersey was a different story, but that was mainly due to the fact that NJ is a run and gun team and that seemed to be a weakness for this Detroit team (at least during that series).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
At the risk of alienating even more people.

Doesn't KG also have a problem with Wally World and wasn't he instrumental in getting rid of Nesterovic and replacing him with Candy Pants?

I certainly don't know Kevin Garnett personally but he seems to have a problem with white players.

This may be a streotype but I've witnessed a lot of black players become quite angry when bested by a white guy.

Or maybe they were just shocked. :)