Gerald Hayes and MLB

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in reading through threads in recent weeks it's apparent to me that I'm not alone in thinking Ron McKinnon is a great guy who has done a ton for this franchise, but his best days are behind him. that said, when is Hayes going to start getting more reps? Just seems to me like he's got the talent and he really makes people pay for running near him, but he's not getting the PT.

Also, NFL.com's gamebook is listing Ray Thompson, not McKinnon as the starting MLB? I assume this is because we opened with a 5 man line per Pasch, but they list only 4 DL's as starters. They list darling as WLB and Dansby as SLB and Thompson as MLB. True?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
the fact that hayes is not starting makes me wonder what goes on in practice, because he clearly is more athletic than Mckinnon. I just hope he is working hard in practice... not saying that he doesn't, but makes you wonder.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
the fact that hayes is not starting makes me wonder what goes on in practice, because he clearly is more athletic than Mckinnon. I just hope he is working hard in practice... not saying that he doesn't, but makes you wonder.

I think it's probably more a matter of coaches being slow to replace a long time starter during the season. During preseason when there's open competition or when you're expecting the older guy to move on it's one thing but on any team you don't normally see a veteran leader lose his starting position halfway through the season.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Assface said:
I think it's probably more a matter of coaches being slow to replace a long time starter during the season. During preseason when there's open competition or when you're expecting the older guy to move on it's one thing but on any team you don't normally see a veteran leader lose his starting position halfway through the season.

Darling is getting most all the PT at MLB. Mostly for his experience , mobility and play reading.

I think Hayes would be much better at the run, but just lacks in exp. and play reading.

McKinnons pretty much out now.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WildBB said:
Darling is getting most all the PT at MLB. Mostly for his experience , mobility and play reading.

I think Hayes would be much better at the run, but just lacks in exp. and play reading.

McKinnons pretty much out now.

But was it Darling or Thompson who started at MLB? NFL.com is saying Thompson which is a surprise to me.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
But was it Darling or Thompson who started at MLB? NFL.com is saying Thompson which is a surprise to me.

Sorry I missed the first few minutes. If they came out with 5 down linemen then starting Thompson at MLB would'nt be all that surprising.

Darling I know played pretty much the entire game there though.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I think Ron knows he's gone next year, but he also knows that someone else will pick him up. It's part of the biz. Gerald will have plenty of time to start for us next year.

I'm curious if Ray is back next year. Darling is in with Green, as is Gerald and Dansby. Ray is the odd man out, and with his contract, I wonder if he'll be around. With Green is charge, who knows?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McKinnon played very little on Sunday because of the game plan to go with speed. I would guess he'll play more against the Giants.

However, I agree with Russ, Ron is on his way out. Gerald Hayes is nursing a groin pull and my guess is he'll be held out unless we play power teams, which, if you look at the schedule, are few in number this remaining season.

Fitzfan1

Reaction score
The one thing I can tell you from following Hayes for some time is that he had tremendous work ethic in college and absolutely knew how to read plays. He was never out of position and was continually making plays all over the field.

I will tell you this. I am a huge Larry Fitzgerald fan, but the loss that hurt the Pitt Panthers more was losing Gerald Hayes at MLB. We have not been able to stop the run since he is gone despite having better overall talent on defense. LB's are regularly out of position just enough to miss the tackle. Hayes never seemed to miss a tackle.

If the Cardinals continue to draft Pitt Panthers I may have to change my NFL allegiance to Arizonia.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Oran said:
I think Ron knows he's gone next year, but he also knows that someone else will pick him up. It's part of the biz. Gerald will have plenty of time to start for us next year.

Man, I hope not. I want Ron to retire a Cardinal. But in saying that I REALLY want to see Hayes at MLB.

Quite frankly I'm very surprised Hayes has not seen more playing time.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Man, I hope not. I want Ron to retire a Cardinal. But in saying that I REALLY want to see Hayes at MLB.

Quite frankly I'm very surprised Hayes has not seen more playing time.

Hayes will be the starter next year. If McKinnon latches on somewhere, it'll only be for a year, two at the most. And, I can't think of a team where he'd really fit. Even if he does play elsewhere, I think he'd follow his idol Eric Hill and do a sign-and-retire deal with the Cards.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I will tell you this. I am a huge Larry Fitzgerald fan, but the loss that hurt the Pitt Panthers more was losing Gerald Hayes at MLB. We have not been able to stop the run since he is gone despite having better overall talent on defense. LB's are regularly out of position just enough to miss the tackle. Hayes never seemed to miss a tackle.

I heard a guy on a national talk radio show say the same thing in regard to Hayes. Have been waiting for him to break out ever since.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Fitzfan1 said:
The one thing I can tell you from following Hayes for some time is that he had tremendous work ethic in college and absolutely knew how to read plays. He was never out of position and was continually making plays all over the field.

If the Cardinals continue to draft Pitt Panthers I may have to change my NFL allegiance to Arizonia.

There were pre-draft stories of this kid watching film until midnight on Fridays, etc. Coaches said they would come in, expecting to have the film room empty and Hayes was watching film why his teammates were out on the town. Hayes will be a stud and works hard to improve. Many people had him as a late 1st rounder, but like most MLBs, slid.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think Hayes should be splitting time at MLB at the least. He is going to be a stud there, every bit as much as Dansby will be on the outside. Hayes is the complete package at MLB.