Getting a Grip on Q's Hip

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Notebook: Warner sacked just once this season
By DARREN URBAN

You must be registered for see images

Receiever Anquan Boldin (center) hopes he can finally be in uniform this Sunday after missing two games with a hip injury.

Anquan Boldin was walking off the practice field Thursday – after sitting out yet another session – when suddenly he went WWE on rookie wide receiver Steve Breaston.

Boldin needed just a few seconds to get Breaston pinned.

“Ya’ll got to give me a task. That was too easy,” Boldin said. “I told him we fold rookies up like towels. He didn’t believe me so I had to prove it to him.”

So did it mean Boldin is physically fit to play Sunday against Carolina?

“That’s the thing, it wasn’t a challenge so it doesn’t determine where I am physically,” Boldin said.

Where Boldin is is “about 80 percent.” Eighty percent of Boldin is good, but it still doesn’t mean Boldin will finally return to the field when the Panthers visit. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he was happy with the progress Boldin is making, but Boldin was getting another MRI Thursday afternoon to officially judge where he stands.

He won’t know until Friday morning if he will practice Friday, but it would be almost a must to see him play. Even Boldin acknowledged he wants to practice at least one time before playing again. Besides, Boldin said, there is still risk to factor in.

“I feel we will be in the playoffs and I would really be (ticked) off if I was sitting on the sideline for a playoff game,” Boldin said with a chuckle.

MAX PROTECT

From 2002 to 2006, Kurt Warner was sacked almost three times a game on average. This season, Warner has been sacked just once in the 70 times he has dropped back to pass.

That’s a big deal to a player who has been plagued by fumbles in the past. Last season, Warner was sacked 12 times in his first four starts, which helped lead to 10 fumbles in those games.

“I can tell you I have been better protected this year than the last three that I have played, maybe more,” Warner said. “To me, that is the biggest difference. It’s hard to drop the ball when you’re not getting hit.”

The positive reinforcement just underscores the improvement the offensive line has made this season.

“He trusts us more,” guard Deuce Lutui said. “He has that faith in us. I think that is great. It is good that he said that.”

TO PLAY OR NOT TO PLAY?

Elton Brown made it through a second straight practice Thursday with his sore knee and he believes he will be able to play Sunday. That’s important, because after suffering a setback with his ankle sprain Wednesday, Levi Brown sat out Thursday and is unlikely to play again this weekend.

“As a football player, this is the job. (Levi) is down, and someone has to step in and play,” Elton Brown said. “Why not be me? If I can’t go, I can’t go, but I feel like I can give it a shot.”

The Cardinals hope Bryant Johnson can do the same. Johnson is nursing a sore quadriceps muscle, although he did take part in all of practice and even pulled down a nifty-one handed sideline catch over cornerback Ralph Brown. For the official injury report, look here.

HONORING WEHRLI

New Cardinals Hall of Famer Roger Wehrli is going to be inducted into the franchise’s ring of honor at halftime of Sunday’s game. Wehrli will also be presented with his Hall of Fame ring and his bust from the Hall will be flown in from Canton for the occasion.

“I am really looking forward to it, obviously,” Wehrli said. “To be up there with all the Cardinal greats, it is something I never really dreamed of.”

EXTRA POINTS

General manager Rod Graves said the Buccaneers, who have had a rash of injuries at the running back position, called to inquire about the availability of either J.J. Arrington or Marcel Shipp. Graves told the Bucs the Cards were content to keep both. …

Whisenhunt, on the lack of carries for anyone but Edgerrin James: “If it came to that point where (Edge) is at 30 or 35 carries a game, then we would want to get Marcel or J.J. in there. But as long as he is in the mid-20s and not having a lot of carries in a row, it’s not a problem. I think you’d have a hard time getting carries from Edge right now.”

James, who leads the NFC in rushing with 442 yards, is averaging only 21.4 carries a game. Shipp has three carries total, Arrington eight.

Contact Darren Urban at [email protected]. Posted 10/11/07

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1989

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James, who leads the NFC in rushing with 442 yards, is averaging only 21.4 carries a game. Shipp has three carries total, Arrington eight.

man, oh man, oh man was I wrong about Edge being relatively washed up. Can't wait to see the line back somewhat healthy after the bye when Edge can really start pounding people again. Till then, keep grinding Edge!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the situation they are in at RB, the Bucs probably would have given up a 4th rounder for JJ and 3rd or 2nd for Shipp. Still, I would not have pulled it since we play on the road in Tampa this year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
With the situation they are in at RB, the Bucs probably would have given up a 4th rounder for JJ and 3rd or 2nd for Shipp. Still, I would not have pulled it since we play on the road in Tampa this year.

A 2nd for Shipp. Pass some this way if you have nay left.

The were probably offering a 6th rounder like they were to Minny for a similar level of RB.

I would have taken that 6th and ran with it for Shipp. He isnt running the ball and I am sure his special teams spot could be replaced buy any other player on the roster and could take his 3 carries for the next 5 games. Especially considering the bank he is making for doing pretty much nothing. Take the 2.2 Mill he is making and add it the contract you better be offering to Dansby.

freebyrd

Reaction score
hip ailments scare me it reminds me of bo jacksens degenrative hip this can't befall the mighty Q, can it?

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
A 2nd for Shipp. Pass some this way if you have nay left.

The were probably offering a 6th rounder like they were to Minny for a similar level of RB.

I would have taken that 6th and ran with it for Shipp. He isnt running the ball and I am sure his special teams spot could be replaced buy any other player on the roster and could take his 3 carries for the next 5 games. Especially considering the bank he is making for doing pretty much nothing. Take the 2.2 Mill he is making and add it the contract you better be offering to Dansby.

If you get rid of Shipp, who do you give the ball to if Edge gets hurt, JJ? Have you seen anthing from him that says he can carry it 25+ times per game?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. If we get rid of Shipp then we basically have nothing behind Edge.

Then why don't we trade that "nothing" if someone wants him?

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
If you get rid of Shipp, who do you give the ball to if Edge gets hurt, JJ? Have you seen anthing from him that says he can carry it 25+ times per game?

Exactly. This season is young, but already its been a major lesson is the importance of depth. We've taken hits at QB, WR, OL, etc. Without depth, we'd be much worse than 3-2. If something were to happen to Edge, we don't want to be stuck with JJ, and a practice squad player.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of the season, the thought at that time by most members of this board was a lack of depth at most positions for this team. Now we are talking about trading away one of the few positions that we knew we had depth at? I don't understand the logic.

As this season wears on, Edge is going to get tired. When he starts wearing down, we can bring Shipp in and make sure Edge is ready to go when the playoffs roll around (provided we are in them). You very seldom use the back-up QB, but when you need him, he'd better be there. Same for the RB. Trading Shipp for a draft pick in the later rounds would be like playing Russian Roulette with an automatic.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the beginning of the season, the thought at that time by most members of this board was a lack of depth at most positions for this team. Now we are talking about trading away one of the few positions that we knew we had depth at? I don't understand the logic.

As this season wears on, Edge is going to get tired. When he starts wearing down, we can bring Shipp in and make sure Edge is ready to go when the playoffs roll around (provided we are in them). You very seldom use the back-up QB, but when you need him, he'd better be there. Same for the RB. Trading Shipp for a draft pick in the later rounds would be like playing Russian Roulette with an automatic.
nice analogy

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

I agree. We need 3 RB's.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
General manager Rod Graves said the Buccaneers, who have had a rash of injuries at the running back position, called to inquire about the availability of either J.J. Arrington or Marcel Shipp. Graves told the Bucs the Cards were content to keep both. …

Depends on what they are offering there, but I'd trade either JJ or Shipp if we could get something good for them. We don't use them enough as it is and a high draft pick or a good player at a need position would be nice to have for this team on the rise. We could replace either, I think. And yes, I'm the resident JJ apologist.

I do think I'd not want to see Shipp or JJ getting a ton of carries against us later this year...just the way ex-card RBs seem to do well elsewhere.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what they are offering there, but I'd trade either JJ or Shipp if we could get something good for them. We don't use them enough as it is and a high draft pick or a good player at a need position would be nice to have for this team on the rise. We could replace either, I think. And yes, I'm the resident JJ apologist.

I do think I'd not want to see Shipp or JJ getting a ton of carries against us later this year...just the way ex-card RBs seem to do well elsewhere.

I say trade em both.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's just dumb. Sorry Shane, but it's dumb unless you get two of the Bucs fourth and fifth string RBs in return. And then, well, it's just dumb.

Nah. We have edge who will never be hurt again. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. I'll take earnest Graham off there hands and a 3rd rounder for Shipp n Arrington :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. We have edge who will never be hurt again. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. I'll take earnest Graham off there hands and a 3rd rounder for Shipp n Arrington :D

Dockett will twist Graham's leg again and put him out for the season.

I love that you think Edge will never be hurt again...he's a stud. But seriously...to say something like that without a :stick: is DUMB!!!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dockett will twist Graham's leg again and put him out for the season.

I love that you think Edge will never be hurt again...he's a stud. But seriously...to say something like that without a :stick: is DUMB!!!

Dude! Do you realize who I am?

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

Thankfully, it's not up to you.

So, if 14 different teams came forward offering a 6th round pick for our top 14 backups, would you make those trades? We could then have 14 more 6th rounders next year, and no backups this year. Would you have traded Warner for a 6th before the season? He's making more than Marcel, maybe that money could have gone to Dansby. That would have been a hell of a move. Injuries are part of the game, and you better have a plan B if James goes down. I guess JJ could be your plan B?

Marcel was the FIRST guy signed in the Weisenhunt era. Do you think that is a coincidence? It's not. Marcel is the perfect back as a backup in our system. He runs hard between the tackles, and among the most respected guys on the team.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Edge doesnt get tired. Dude runs 300+ carries a season like its nothing, and is showing no signs what so ever slowing down.

As for depth JJ is the 2nd string RB. No matter what any depth chart tells you JJ has played in 50% more snaps then Shipp.

If Edge goes down we are screwed no matter what. Shipp, JJ, Blaylark they are all the same if our OL is blocking.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm concerned about Q's hip - we keep getting these optimistic comments that his condition is improving each week; yet we're into the third week and he still may not be good enough to go. Which begs the question: If his condition continues to improve, what did it improve from? i.e. Was Boldin's injury worse than it was initially made out to be?

Regarding the TB offer - The Football Gods are watching - Bet the store that Edge would come down with a serious injury within hours after the deal was done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser