Honest question.....who would pay to watch these guys??

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I stand corrected as I did say I was going from memory. Maybe it was for off the bench players scoring per minutes played? I am not one for remembering statistics. No reason for you to be an ***** about it. I think Jimmer has value for this team we will agree to disagree if you think he does not.

If you're not one for remembering statistics, why are you using statistics to support your argument? You're just asking for someone to prove you wrong, and someone now has.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am both from St. Loius area until I was 10 and then South Texas. Back then you didn't get many games on Tv except playoffs. Paul Westphal became my favorite player after the '76 series against Boston and the Suns my favorite team in the West. Hated the Celtics\ Lakers who dominated in the 80's. Took lots of abuse from Spurs fans in the 80s being a Suns fan.

Ha! Westphal was my favorite player back then too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Westphal was my favorite player back then too.

I liked the edginess of Ricky Sobers but yeah, I think pretty much every Suns fan was a huge Westy fan back then. I was such a Westphal fan that it took me at least a hundred years to forgive Lionel Hollins for the cheap shots he directed Paul's way.

Steve

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was such a Westphal fan that it took me at least a hundred years to forgive Lionel Hollins for the cheap shots he directed Paul's way.

Steve

Please refresh my memory. I don't recall that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please refresh my memory. I don't recall that.

Hollins was a very good defensive player that routinely manhandled Paul. No specific incident but he always played Paul very physically. He'd pick up a foul or two but got away with most of them. Like any good physical defensive player, it depends on what uniform you're cheering for as to whether their play is clean or dirty. I saw dirty. Nothing extreme, just an elbow here and a hip check there kind of thing. It probably bothered me even more than some because Lionel had been a favorite of mine at ASU. And then there was the H-O-R-S-E competition between them in the late 70's.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pay to see Goodwin, Len and Bledsoe develop. The experiment of Eric and Goran playing together. A group of young, hungry Players to start their careers and restart the hopes for this franchise.

But I'd have no intention wasting my money to see Brown or Gortat playing for a better contract, producing useless wins or just getting older. Hey, even though it may be scary: I would rather give Michael Beasley (aka the untradeable) another chance than those two guys.

I think you have it right in the first paragraph. The Suns have no stars to attract fans except those who enjoy watching young players develop and enjoy fast break basketball.

I do not understand the fascination over Jimmer unless someone thinks he can develop into a third PG. He is not a player that will draw fans.

IMO, Gortat and Brown will likely be trade pieces.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching a young, athletic and developing team in a fast paced offense will attract some attention. I bet the Suns will be way more fun watch this season than any of the last 3.

Maybe I'm the only one, but watching young players develop isn't so bad. Guys like Len, Goodwin, Bledsoe, Dragic (yes imo he's still developing a little bit) play won't bore me or piss me off at all.

Watching the Suns last year pissed me off. Watching the Suns of the 2 years prior to that with a bunch of old guys trying to hold down a playoff spot bored me.

Next season won't be a good season but imo it will be fun to watch.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why don't the Suns sign Tim Tebow, I'm sure that can get more butts in seats at US Airway Center than Jimmer.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think most everyone in here is looking forward to watching the young guys this year and seeing what Hornacek can do with them. Slinslin has already pronounced Bledsoe and Dragic together a failure so it will add to the fun to see him proved wrong - not that he's ever going to admit it.

Two of the guys I'm most interested in watching are Plumlee and Kravtsov. They seem to have the physical tools to defend and rebound well but will they figure out the game? Setting good picks and blocking out? Show a glimmer of finding a shot they can make?

Can Ish beat Marshall out as back up point guard. Kendall passes the ball ahead well enough that he won't be a total loss on the break but it would be nice to keep a breakneck pace all the time.

Even Gerald Green is somewhat interesting - McDonough was part of the team in Boston that drafted him long ago. I could see him thriving as a spot up 3pt shooter on the break - he certainly isn't shy about putting it up and he's not a bad shot. He got 1000 minutes for Indiana last year so he probably is not a bad defender.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
His senior year, I enjoyed wathching Jimmer as much as anyone. I was deployed to Baghdad at the time and it was not as if anyone had alot going on that was particularly enjoyable. I remember sitting down in the dining facility with a group of people who worked in my building for midnight chow. We sat near a TV to watch whatever basketball game happened to be on. I don't think anyone who sat down to watch the game was a BYU fan, but it was the only thing on and we watched it. At the end of the meal, everyone got up from the table as a Jimmer fan. He was amazing, hitting absurdly long 3-pointers, floaters in the lane and stealing the ball. He seemed compeltely unstoppable and carried BYU to victory almost single handedly. We walked out of there wondering if he would be the #1 pick and made an effort to watch BYU for the rest of the season.
But . . . . since then Jimmer has not done squat. There are probably some diehard BYU fans who will pay to see Jimmer if he comes to the Suns. But it is not enough to make much of difference in ticket sales if the team does not start winning.
As much fun as Jimmer was to watch in college, he hasn't shown that he can make it as a pro player. I'd be willing to trade Shannon Brown for Jimmer, since I think they both belong on the bench but I would not give up an actual NBA quality player for someone who can't contribute against NBA quality defenses.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His senior year, I enjoyed wathching Jimmer as much as anyone. I was deployed to Baghdad at the time and it was not as if anyone had alot going on that was particularly enjoyable. I remember sitting down in the dining facility with a group of people who worked in my building for midnight chow. We sat near a TV to watch whatever basketball game happened to be on. I don't think anyone who sat down to watch the game was a BYU fan, but it was the only thing on and we watched it. At the end of the meal, everyone got up from the table as a Jimmer fan. He was amazing, hitting absurdly long 3-pointers, floaters in the lane and stealing the ball. He seemed compeltely unstoppable and carried BYU to victory almost single handedly. We walked out of there wondering if he would be the #1 pick and made an effort to watch BYU for the rest of the season.
But . . . . since then Jimmer has not done squat. There are probably some diehard BYU fans who will pay to see Jimmer if he comes to the Suns. But it is not enough to make much of difference in ticket sales if the team does not start winning.
As much fun as Jimmer was to watch in college, he hasn't shown that he can make it as a pro player. I'd be willing to trade Shannon Brown for Jimmer, since I think they both belong on the bench but I would not give up an actual NBA quality player for someone who can't contribute against NBA quality defenses.

As long as BYU wasn't playing your team, Jimmer was one of the most entertaining college basketball players I can remember. He could light you up from any distance and he still excelled even against defenses designed to stop him. I'm not really sure why he's struggled so much in the NBA as I really thought he'd be able to get his shot off against just about anyone. I didn't expect stardom from him, he was just too small and too slow to star, but I really thought he'd be a great change of pace guy off the bench.

I'm still not convinced it can't happen for him but IMO if he brings people to the game it will be mostly because of what he does on the court rather than his background. IOW, he will have to succeed as a player even to excite the Mormon crowd.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
A show of hands of the people that would trade Kendall Marshall for Jimmer. I'd do it, just for the sake of novelty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A show of hands of the people that would trade Kendall Marshall for Jimmer. I'd do it, just for the sake of novelty.

I wouldn't even need the novelty aspect to do it. :)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would do it just for the potential shooting. To me, Jimmer's potential value as a spot up shooter off the bench (ala Steve Kerr) is better than anything Marshall brings to the table. And please, do not criticize me for comparing Jimmer's shooting to Kerr's. I know its not the same. The real comparison is Jimmer and Marshall.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall just has no future here. Another legacy black mark from the Blanks era.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Even though Marshall had a few games last season in which he showed he is destined to lead the league in assists, I'd rather have Fredette. Both have been busts, but Fredette will fill more of a need if he ever gets it together. Marshall's ceiling with the Suns is to be a rarely used backup; there's just too much talent in front of him on the roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though Marshall had a few games last season in which he showed he is destined to lead the league in assists, I'd rather have Fredette. Both have been busts, but Fredette will fill more of a need if he ever gets it together. Marshall's ceiling with the Suns is to be a rarely used backup; there's just too much talent in front of him on the roster.

:biglaugh:

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Even though Marshall had a few games last season in which he showed he is destined to lead the league in assists, I'd rather have Fredette.

Eric should have used a smiley face. There is no doubt that his comment about Marsall was tongue-in-cheek.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I believe it was a subtle joke directed at Slin. I am also pretty sure Steve recognized that and laughed at Eric's joke.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake