How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Before anyone says anything, this isn't because I am a Suns fan and I hate he Lakers.

It's a legit question.

How are they "the team to beat" when their current roster has done ziltch? I mean really, you have "experts" right and left saying they are the team to beat. Why? Because they have played well for like 10 games? There is still like 20+ games left, if they play like that until the season ends, sure there is reason behind it.

Until then, they aren't the team to beat.

Big market lovin'.........

Usually the Champs are the team to beat.......

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
Before anyone says anything, this isn't because I am a Suns fan and I hate he Lakers.

It's a legit question.

How are they "the team to beat" when their current roster has done ziltch? I mean really, you have "experts" right and left saying they are the team to beat. Why? Because they have played well for like 10 games? There is still like 20+ games left, if they play like that until the season ends, sure there is reason behind it.

Until then, they aren't the team to beat.

Thank you for posting this.
I totally agree,I think when Lakers improve just a bit,the media exeggerates this easily.

Their pg Derek Fisher is not good at all,if he was,they wouldn't have sent him 3-4 yeas ago.And the back up kids,Farmar and Vujacic are so inexperienced,they are not good passers (maybe farmar is a bit),vujacic gets hot one game and gets lost for another 10.

their starter radmanovic is not the one we used to see in seattle,not even a 3 pointer thread he used to be.

definitely gasol and bryant so good,and Odom is consistent.But those who think team will be better with Bynum,I disagree,who will he replace?wose minutes will he get?bynum-gasol cant play together,i dont think they ll have good chemistry,plus bynum has attitude problem,sooner or later when he doesnt start,he ll ask for a trade.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this.
I totally agree,I think when Lakers improve just a bit,the media exeggerates this easily.

Their pg Derek Fisher is not good at all,if he was,they wouldn't have sent him 3-4 yeas ago.And the back up kids,Farmar and Vujacic are so inexperienced,they are not good passers (maybe farmar is a bit),vujacic gets hot one game and gets lost for another 10.

their starter radmanovic is not the one we used to see in seattle,not even a 3 pointer thread he used to be.

definitely gasol and bryant so good,and Odom is consistent.But those who think team will be better with Bynum,I disagree,who will he replace?wose minutes will he get?bynum-gasol cant play together,i dont think they ll have good chemistry,plus bynum has attitude problem,sooner or later when he doesnt start,he ll ask for a trade.

I'll just assume from you posts that you have never actually seen a Los Angeles Laker game. :lol:

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I'll just assume from you posts that you have never actually seen a Los Angeles Laker game. :lol:

why is that:)?I ve seen them this year maybe 7-8 times,couple of them to us.I think they re better team than last year,but they will be number 4-5 team in the West,at least I wish so:)

Their bench is not terrific,Turiaf,Vujacic,Farmar etc.And their 2 guard starters like Fisher,Radmanovic are not in capacity of a champion team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Their bench is not terrific,Turiaf,Vujacic,Farmar etc.And their 2 guard starters like Fisher,Radmanovic are not in capacity of a champion team.

If the Lakers bench is "not terrific" then ours is JV high school level.

I along with every GM in the NBA would trade the Lakers bench for ours in a nanosecond.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs are the team to beat until someone proves otherwise. That doesn't make the Lakers any less of a dangerous team.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score

I along with every GM in the NBA would trade the Lakers bench for ours in a nanosecond.

Nah,I don't think Skinner is worse than Turiaf,Skinner was playing pretty good before in Sacramento.Mihm is injured for 2 years now,Walton is good but doesn't read the game well.Plus we have Barbosa,the best 6 th man in NBA.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score

The Spurs wouldn't trade for the Lakers bench...those guys don't know the offense or defense schemes.:p

Since Ginobili is a bench player(6th man candidate), we can say that he is better than any other bench player in the L including anyone on the Lakers.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
why is that:)?I ve seen them this year maybe 7-8 times,couple of them to us.I think they re better team than last year,but they will be number 4-5 team in the West,at least I wish so:)

Ok, I'll play ball.. might be fun.

1. You say Derek Fisher isn't good at all? Ok, I don't know what you consider to be "good." If you're going to compare him to Steve Nash, he's obviously going to come up short, but Fisher is a smart veteran guard with 3 championship rings. He was the starting point guard for 2 of those 3 runs (2000 he was behind Harper) and he's a solid defensive player. Fisher's ability to run the Laker offense is one of the main reasons for the Lakers improvement over last year. He's not Chris Paul or Nash, but to say he's not good is silly.

2. Farmar is not a good passer? What are you basing this on? Farmar has very good court vision for a guard as young as he is. Again, he's not Nash, but to say he's not a good passer just means you haven't watched him play. As far as Sasha goes, you state he has one good game "then lost for 10." Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Sasha is a role player, he's not a main scoring threat. He's used to provide a spark when needed and provide depth and he does that very well. Since the Gasol deal, he's averaging 11.5pts off the bench in limited minutes and has been held in single figures scoring only 3 times. He keeps up at this pace, he'll be a candidate for 6th man of the year.

3. Vlad Radmanovic, this one I'll give you. No, he's not the player he used to be, but once Bynum gets back, Gasol will start at the 4 and Vlad will be where he belongs, providing depth off the bench. Vlad isn't a very good starter, but he's a solid bench guy. The Lakers have the deepest bench in the NBA like it or not.

But those who think team will be better with Bynum,I disagree,who will he replace?wose minutes will he get?bynum-gasol cant play together,i dont think they ll have good chemistry,plus bynum has attitude problem,sooner or later when he doesnt start,he ll ask for a trade.

This is the worst part of your post by far. Who's minutes will he get? Vlad isn't a starter normally, and Gasol isn't going to remain at center. When Bynum is healthy the Lakers will start 5-Bynum 4-Gasol 3-Odom 2-Bryant 1-Fisher. Not sure why you say that Bynum and Gasol can't work together, that's just speculation. The part about Bynum demanding a trade because he's not starting is silly as well. Bynum hasn't even been the starter the entire year, yet he's never complained, even when being put behind Kwamie Brown. I'm not sure what "attitude" you're talking about when it comes to Bynum.

You really should just stop here. I'm not going to say the Lakers will win the title, honestly, I'm not so sure they will. But to give their lack of bench production as the reason is just silly. The Lakers have the deepest bench in the NBA rather you want to admit it or not. You state guys like Turiaf, Vujacic and Farmar not being the capacity of a champion. Maybe not as starters, but that's a pretty damn good bench. Maybe you should stick to topics you know more about, cause you don't know jack about the Lakers my friend.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Lakers are on one hell of a hot streak, ill give them that. But one thing Laker fans should get out of their heads is that the return of Bynum will make them better. He suffered a serious knee injury and wont be 100% for the rest of the season, not even for the playoffs. IT might be smart to keep him out for the season or put him on the bench.

One thing that pisses me off is that the LAkers schedule is cake the rest of the way, while suns have the hardest schedule remaining

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Lakers are on one hell of a hot streak, ill give them that. But one thing Laker fans should get out of their heads is that the return of Bynum will make them better. He suffered a serious knee injury and wont be 100% for the rest of the season, not even for the playoffs. IT might be smart to keep him out for the season or put him on the bench.

One thing that pisses me off is that the LAkers schedule is cake the rest of the way, while suns have the hardest schedule remaining

I'll be honest with you, while I want to think the Lakers will take it this year, my gut says next year. The injuries to Bynum and Ariza are big for the Lakers as it takes out their starting center and probably the 2nd best perimeter defender on our team. The uncertainty over Bynum is a huge concern, no doubt.

As far as the schedule goes, the Lakers paid their dues big time. Up till about 2 weeks ago, the Lakers had the hardest schedule in the west. The only reason the Lakers schedule is light now, is because we got all the hard games out of the way earlier.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
Ok, I'll play ball.. might be fun.

1. You say Derek Fisher isn't good at all? Ok, I don't know what you consider to be "good." If you're going to compare him to Steve Nash, he's obviously going to come up short, but Fisher is a smart veteran guard with 3 championship rings. He was the starting point guard for 2 of those 3 runs (2000 he was behind Harper) and he's a solid defensive player. Fisher's ability to run the Laker offense is one of the main reasons for the Lakers improvement over last year. He's not Chris Paul or Nash, but to say he's not good is silly.

2. Farmar is not a good passer? What are you basing this on? Farmar has very good court vision for a guard as young as he is. Again, he's not Nash, but to say he's not a good passer just means you haven't watched him play. As far as Sasha goes, you state he has one good game "then lost for 10." Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Sasha is a role player, he's not a main scoring threat. He's used to provide a spark when needed and provide depth and he does that very well. Since the Gasol deal, he's averaging 11.5pts off the bench in limited minutes and has been held in single figures scoring only 3 times. He keeps up at this pace, he'll be a candidate for 6th man of the year.

3. Vlad Radmanovic, this one I'll give you. No, he's not the player he used to be, but once Bynum gets back, Gasol will start at the 4 and Vlad will be where he belongs, providing depth off the bench. Vlad isn't a very good starter, but he's a solid bench guy. The Lakers have the deepest bench in the NBA like it or not.

This is the worst part of your post by far. Who's minutes will he get? Vlad isn't a starter normally, and Gasol isn't going to remain at center. When Bynum is healthy the Lakers will start 5-Bynum 4-Gasol 3-Odom 2-Bryant 1-Fisher. Not sure why you say that Bynum and Gasol can't work together, that's just speculation. The part about Bynum demanding a trade because he's not starting is silly as well. Bynum hasn't even been the starter the entire year, yet he's never complained, even when being put behind Kwamie Brown. I'm not sure what "attitude" you're talking about when it comes to Bynum.

You really should just stop here. I'm not going to say the Lakers will win the title, honestly, I'm not so sure they will. But to give their lack of bench production as the reason is just silly. The Lakers have the deepest bench in the NBA rather you want to admit it or not. You state guys like Turiaf, Vujacic and Farmar not being the capacity of a champion. Maybe not as starters, but that's a pretty damn good bench. Maybe you should stick to topics you know more about, cause you don't know jack about the Lakers my friend.

I think you re biased and effected by media's brainwashing quotes nowadays.Of course they're now having a team identity and becoming better,what I said is they re not a complete-terrific team as the media is showing.

I didn't say Farmar is good passer,I said Vujacic and Radmanocis isn't.I don't even agree they will start three 6-10 plus guys Bynum,Gasol,Odom together.

Fisher was a backup in Wariors and Utah,his minutes are limited,he can start in Hawks,Seattle etc but now with his dropped minutes,less energy and mobility,I said him and Radmanovic as starters can't be champion.I have huge respect to him,to his fatherhood and humanity but he's not a threat he used to be.

Kobe is the heart of the team and Gasol is the best addition in any trades this year,but they have problems in guards.Fisher,Farmar,Karl,.not sufficient.

They don't have our Barbosa,Diaw in bench.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
They don't have our Barbosa,Diaw in bench.

Fat Doris and Luke Walton are pretty much the same player. The Lakers don't have a Barbosa but Farmar, Turiaf, Radmanovic, Ariza, and Vujacic are better than anyone outside of our top 7 (and coincidentally all of those guys would get solid PT with the Suns as they all fill gaping holes in our roster). I know deluding ourselves into thinking the Lakers aren't that good helps everyone sleep at night, but the reality is that they've owned us head-to-head this year and are better team across the board statistically against a tougher schedule.

Last edited:

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score

Except Derek Fisher is a 3 time champion proving you have no idea what in the hell you are talking about.

Fisher is no a world beater, but he is a fantastic, clutch, shooter and one of the best leaders in the league.

As for Radmanovic - who cares if he starts? Once Bynum comes bacck, even if he Rad is still starting LO will get most of those minutes so it's of no consequence. He is there for 3point shooting and he will get WIDE OPEN looks with Gasol, Lamar, Bynum and Kobe on the team.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dude, stop posting. You haven't got a CLUE.

P.S....check out where Vlad, Sasha and Fisher stand on 3pt % this season...hint...they are all top 20.

Vlad isn't a starter when the team is healthy. Fisher-Kobe-Lamar-Gasol-Bynum. Ariza, Vlad, Sasha and Farmar off the bench...and Turiaf and Luke.

Fisher not good at all? And you base that on the Lakers letting him go? Do you KNOW how much money he got in Golden State? The Lakers weren't going to pay that much...but Fish is very good. Clutch shooter, knows the triangle, multiple championships.

I don't even know why I waste my time pointing out facts to people who spout off garbage like you did...I am positive it will be in one ear and out the other.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why does that piss you off? The Lakers had the third hardest schedule in the league to date...now it is easing up. :shrug:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm calling it. Passenger is a Laker fan trolling. NOBODY would make those statements unless they were trolling other Laker fans trying to get them to post the obvious answers, and maybe start a flame war. Because really, those comments are just silly.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Ok, I'm calling it. Passenger is a Laker fan trolling. NOBODY would make those statements unless they were trolling other Laker fans trying to get them to post the obvious answers, and maybe start a flame war. Because really, those comments are just silly.

Yeah, you're obviously right.. check this out..

.I don't even agree they will start three 6-10 plus guys Bynum,Gasol,Odom together.

This can't be serious. Tell me passenger, which guy do they sit then? Gasol? (19.6 PPG 8.4 RPG) Odom (13.7 PPG 10.0 RPG) or Bynum? (13.1 PPG 10.2 RPG)

You must be a Laker troll, just stop it.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
actually, that is a stroke of genius. Bynum shouldn't start. They don't even need him.

Sit Bynum on the bench to play with the 2nd unit or when Gasol needs a rest. wreak havoc from the bench

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Fisher is no a world beater, but he is a fantastic, clutch, shooter and one of the best leaders in the league.
Offensively he is solid. Defensively though against quicker guards, some laker fans I talk to think the guy is sometimes a turnstile.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offensively he is solid. Defensively though against quicker guards, some laker fans I talk to think the guy is sometimes a turnstile.

Ever since his foot surgery early in his career, he's been a decent to subpar defender. Prior to that, he was a good defender...the mind is there but he just can't do it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Why does that piss you off? The Lakers had the third hardest schedule in the league to date...now it is easing up. :shrug:

Because I hate the Lakers and hope they lose out the rest of the season :p

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score

Tell me about it. I was getting my panties in a bunch over this joker the other night, and I have no idea why. I guess it's just the pretending to be a fan of another team thing that irked me. After spamming up the boards for like 6 hours straight last night as a proclamation to his fandom, he's probably forgotten all about this site already. But no worries, I'm sure we'll all be honored with his presence the next time the Suns lose a game.

And while it's technically true that Ginobili is a bench player and therefore a 6th man shoe-in, we all know that he plays starter's minutes and that his "bench" status is a little phony. Along those same lines, I'm not even sure Barbosa is a legitimate selection, since LB logs almost 30 minutes every game himself...Hmm...Great, it's finally happened, I've confused myself... :confused:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05