How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually Ginobili has been starting recently. I think he's out of Sixth Man consideration. He has 13 starts this season, and I don't know what the magic number is, but historically voters have shied away from quasi-starters who log huge minutes and are barely on the threshold of eligibility. Barbosa may win it again if the Suns can right the ship.

ShowtimeRedux

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this.
I totally agree,I think when Lakers improve just a bit,the media exeggerates this easily.

Their pg Derek Fisher is not good at all,if he was,they wouldn't have sent him 3-4 yeas ago.And the back up kids,Farmar and Vujacic are so inexperienced,they are not good passers (maybe farmar is a bit),vujacic gets hot one game and gets lost for another 10.

their starter radmanovic is not the one we used to see in seattle,not even a 3 pointer thread he used to be.

definitely gasol and bryant so good,and Odom is consistent.But those who think team will be better with Bynum,I disagree,who will he replace?wose minutes will he get?bynum-gasol cant play together,i dont think they ll have good chemistry,plus bynum has attitude problem,sooner or later when he doesnt start,he ll ask for a trade.

you are one ignorant basketball fan... Either in denial or just uninformed. Fisher left because he wasnt getting enough playing time and at that point was the second option to gary payton (who ended up leaving anyway, and sucked) He is a team leader and is playing some of his best basketball this year. Farmar is a great aggressive backup point guard. Sasha has been averaging 13 points a game and 51% three point shooting for the entire month of february. You're having trouble finding out who Bynum will replace? Pau is a natural power power forward with a finesse style of play, and would much rather play around the rim than under it. When Bynum comes back, vladdy will be shifted out of the starting rotation and bynum will play center, duh... The way the triangle works, with gasol as a smart passing, quick big man and bynum already familiar with the offense, theres no way they will have major problems meshing. You should take another look at your train of thought.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Actually Ginobili has been starting recently. I think he's out of Sixth Man consideration. Barbosa may win it again if the Suns can right the ship.

Thanks for pointing this out, but it opens up a can of worms.

According to the Wiki entry on the award (and as well know, Wikipedia is 100% right and can never be changed... :|), all you have to do is come off the bench in more games than you start.

DISREGARD
Right now, Manu has come off the bench in 36 of the 49 games he's played in. So only if he plays in and starts in every game from now on would he be disqualified. Oddly enough, even a 7-game injury would make him a shoe-in for the award.DISREGARD

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. The Spurs have just 28 games left to play, so it's actually impossible for Ginobili to not qualify for the 6th Man Award. He cannot start enough games from this point on to overcome the number of times he's already come off the bench.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
EDIT: Actually, I take that back. The Spurs have just 28 games left to play, so it's actually impossible for Ginobili to not qualify for the 6th Man Award. He cannot start enough games from this point on to overcome the number of times he's already come off the bench.

Right, but see my edit. Voters have been known to exercise their discretion in borderline cases.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score

According to the Wiki entry on the award (and as well know, Wikipedia is 100% right and can never be changed... :|), all you have to do is come off the bench in more games than you start.

DISREGARD
Right now, Manu has come off the bench in 36 of the 49 games he's played in. So only if he plays in and starts in every game from now on would he be disqualified. Oddly enough, even a 7-game injury would make him a shoe-in for the award.DISREGARD

That's already locked up with his play. There are a few journalist who feel that leaving him off the AS West team was a travesty but what drives him is not the accolades. It's the winning. And in the tight West, you want to have as little L's as anyone else. I want the Spurs to meet the Lakers and then send them fishing.

sublimineezy

Reaction score
i hate manu ginobili and his big nose

DISREGARD

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
Well,I ve read the posts today in this thread and I respect everyone's opinion.But when disagreeing with my opinion,blaming me for troll or being Lakers fan is simply shallow.I mean,I'm the one who's saying media is kind of brainwashing now and Lakers is not gonna be even finalist in the West,then I'm accused for being Lakers fan:)??

Plus,Donald's accusing me with a Lakers avator;)

Ok,back to the topic,wasn't that roster same before Gasol?And even Kobe has been talking negative about Bynum and asked for the trade simply thinking the team sucks,right?If they had that "great bench depth" "amazing team chemistry" as some of you claim,why were they eliminated in 1st rounds every year?Kobe was sick of the team probably seeing they re not champions caliber team,and it's same story every year.

I just said I thought Gasol-Bynum-Odom won't play altogether because even though Gasol is PF he's not as athletic or runner like Stoudamire,I think he'd prefer two 6 10 guys and these will be Gasol-Odom,he ll keep Bynum in the bench.

And still,to be champion or contender,I don't think an old Fisher and inexperienced Farmar,Karl,Vujacic will be enough.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Good luck with that.

You'll need it. ;)

the spurs would beat the lakers in a 7 game series, i don't think there is any question of that.

parker>fisher
Ginobili< kobe (not by too much)
Bowen >walton/ariza/odom
Duncan >every lakers big man
Oberto<bynum

plus the spurs are....well the spurs. in the post season they just don't lose.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the spurs would beat the lakers in a 7 game series, i don't think there is any question of that.

parker>fisher
Bowen >walton/ariza/odom
Oberto<bynum

Uhm...wow. Just wow.

Bowen better than Odom? Kobe just a bit better than Manu?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

parker>fisher
Bowen >walton/ariza/odom
Oberto<bynum

I hate that I have to defend the Lakers here, but this is way off base. I mean, you're not comparing the Lakers bench to the Spurs bench, and depth is a huge plus for LA this year.

Also, the Spurs don't lose in the post season...unless it's an even year. And what do you know, the year is 2008!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Uhm...wow. Just wow.

Bowen better than Odom? Kobe just a bit better than Manu?

kobe isn't too far ahead of manu lately. ginobili is as hot as any player out there right now, and he usually has everything in gear for the playoffs. kobe is more than just slightly better than manu, i was just pointing out that ginobili is on fire lately. the guy can't miss from 3.

how is bowen not better than odom (assuming odom even plays sf)? he can shut down any perimeter player in the league on any given night. Odom plays a vanishing act in 99% of laker playoff games. His defense is average. His shooting is good for his size, but not better than bowen's lethal 3.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Except when they're playing the Lakers. ;)

I'm far more concerned about Phoenix then I am San Antonio.

you guys beat the spurs in the '04 playoffs in large part because of the luckiest shot in post-season history with 0.4 seconds on the clock. it also didin't hurt to have essentially 5 hall of famers in the starting lineup. This year is much different. You'd be a fool to be more concerned with this struggling suns team than the spurs at this point.

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I hate that I have to defend the Lakers here, but this is way off base. I mean, you're not comparing the Lakers bench to the Spurs bench, and depth is a huge plus for LA this year.

Also, the Spurs don't lose in the post season...unless it's an even year. And what do you know, the year is 2008!

year has nothing to do with it. it would be stupid to say they can't win because it's an even year, that's sheer coincidence. i don't believe in fate or anything like that. They can win on an even year just as easily as another team. They almost had it in '06, but a few questionable calls down the stretch took them out of the game with dallas.

The lakers bench is fantastic, yes, but the spurs are far from bad in that area as well. Damon stoudamire, Udoka, Kurt thomas, ginobili, vaughn is hardly a weak bench. Even if you swap ginobili and finley, they are still a strong unit.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
you guys beat the spurs in the '04 playoffs in large part because of the luckiest shot in post-season history with 0.4 seconds on the clock. it also didin't hurt to have essentially 5 hall of famers in the starting lineup. This year is much different. You'd be a fool to be more concerned with this struggling suns team than the spurs at this point.

Let me first clarify that I'm not "disrespecting" the Spurs. The Spurs and my team have split the NBA titles for the last decade, I'm the last person to show them lack of respect. The reason I fear Phoenix more is mostly because of lack of familiarity with them, especially in their current state with Shaq, the last 2 years of history, and the fact we probably won't have Ariza who's a strong defender against a team that's in love with the jump shot.

San Antonio has a good team, and a good coach. They always have, they're a class organization, I just think that the Lakers have enough familiarity with them that they can create problems for them easier then they can with the Suns. The Lakers could very easily win or lose a 7 game series with either of those two teams. They are the only two teams in the West that I think has any shot of beating the Lakers, period.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
year has nothing to do with it. it would be stupid to say they can't win because it's an even year, that's sheer coincidence. i don't believe in fate or anything like that. They can win on an even year just as easily as another team. They almost had it in '06, but a few questionable calls down the stretch took them out of the game with dallas.

The lakers bench is fantastic, yes, but the spurs are far from bad in that area as well. Damon stoudamire, Udoka, Kurt thomas, ginobili, vaughn is hardly a weak bench. Even if you swap ginobili and finley, they are still a strong unit.

And it's not stupid to say they never lose in the post season? I'm sure it's happened before.

As for the benches, sure SA isn't weak there either.

Let's face it: both teams are very strong and will make it that much more difficult for the Suns to come out of the West.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
While you might say that the Lakers have enough familiarity with the Spurs, do the Lakers have enough time to become familiar with each other ONCE Bynum. Pau looks great without anyone to clog up the middle but where is Bynum going to go? High post or down low where Pau was making a killing? It'll be very interesting, what I don't need is luck, if the Spurs are completely healthy going in, they have the best chance, even though the media will champion others until they end up at the Riverwalk.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
While you might say that the Lakers have enough familiarity with the Spurs, do the Lakers have enough time to become familiar with each other ONCE Bynum. Pau looks great without anyone to clog up the middle but where is Bynum going to go? High post or down low where Pau was making a killing? It'll be very interesting, what I don't need is luck, if the Spurs are completely healthy going in, they have the best chance, even though the media will champion others until they end up at the Riverwalk.

I won't disagree there either. I realize that the Lakers seem to have a better chance of winning the title next year rather then this year. There are a lot of variables for the Lakers in regard to their injury situation, when people come back, how strong they come back, and how well they integrate. The Lakers have been dealing with this all season though, and still they sit on top of the mountain in the West which tells me that so far they have handled it well. I can't tell you how well they will play with Bynum, I don't know that for sure. I don't know how well the Spurs or Suns will play in the playoffs either.

I will say this though. Everyone talks about the "wide open west," and that is something I totally disagree with. There are only 3 contenders in the West and they are the Lakers, Spurs and Suns. Right now, I give either of those teams a 33.3% chance of winning. There are too many variables for me to call it this early, but that won't stop me from rooting tooth and nail for my Lakers. Good luck to you as well the Suns fans on this forum. It's going to be a hell of a fun year.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Let me first clarify that I'm not "disrespecting" the Spurs. The Spurs and my team have split the NBA titles for the last decade, I'm the last person to show them lack of respect. The reason I fear Phoenix more is mostly because of lack of familiarity with them, especially in their current state with Shaq, the last 2 years of history, and the fact we probably won't have Ariza who's a strong defender against a team that's in love with the jump shot.

San Antonio has a good team, and a good coach. They always have, they're a class organization, I just think that the Lakers have enough familiarity with them that they can create problems for them easier then they can with the Suns. The Lakers could very easily win or lose a 7 game series with either of those two teams. They are the only two teams in the West that I think has any shot of beating the Lakers, period.

hmm, i suppose you're right with the point about lack of familiarity. Even so, the suns are playing far from their best basketball right now. if they don't seriously kick it into gear, they're in deep trouble. i thought ariza was returning within the next couple of weeks though? he is a big loss for you guys. i would say s.a has the ultimate playoff team (or at least they have for many years prior to now). I think any matchup between any 2 teams this year in the west will be able to go either way in 7 games. don't fall asleep on utah though. they are quietly a very dangerous team IMO. when healthy, they are certainly a force to be reckoned with. Same goes for Denver. a team with as many stars as that team doesn't go down easily. That being said, i agree that if anyone will beat the lakers in the west this year it will have to be the spurs or suns.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I will say this though. Everyone talks about the "wide open west," and that is something I totally disagree with. There are only 3 contenders in the West and they are the Lakers, Spurs and Suns. Right now, I give either of those teams a 33.3% chance of winning. There are too many variables for me to call it this early, but that won't stop me from rooting tooth and nail for my Lakers. Good luck to you as well the Suns fans on this forum. It's going to be a hell of a fun year.

cheers to that! i couldn't agree more. people considering anyone other than those three teams or maybe utah (stretching it) as serious contenders need some help. Though i don't like our chances against the lakers at this point, i will still root for them until the bitter end (or sweet end with a ring), either way. I'll also root for my cavs until the last game, as i am just as big a fan of the cavs as the suns. Good luck to you and your lakers, this will be one hell of a post season. probably the best one since i've been a basketball maniac. All the recent traders just make it all the better. Let's start the playoffs now!

My dream finals this year: Lakers vs. Cleveland. Just think:

-Lebron's second run at the finals
-Kobe Vs LeBron on the ultimate stage
-Ben wallace back fighting the lakers
-2 teams who altered quite a bit with trades going head to head.

what more could you ask for?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
cheers to that! i couldn't agree more. people considering anyone other than those three teams or maybe utah (stretching it) as serious contenders need some help. Though i don't like our chances against the lakers at this point, i will still root for them until the bitter end (or sweet end with a ring), either way. I'll also root for my cavs until the last game, as i am just as big a fan of the cavs as the suns. Good luck to you and your lakers, this will be one hell of a post season. probably the best one since i've been a basketball maniac. All the recent traders just make it all the better. Let's start the playoffs now!

My dream finals this year: Lakers vs. Cleveland. Just think:

-Lebron's second run at the finals
-Kobe Vs LeBron on the ultimate stage
-Ben wallace back fighting the lakers
-2 teams who altered quite a bit with trades going head to head.

what more could you ask for?

Umm, the Suns playing opposite Cleveland?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05