How are the Lakers "the team to beat"?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Lakers wouldnt lose a game like this. Neither would the Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, Warriors, Jazz, or Nuggets

You keep telling yourself that. We shouldn't have lost this game, but I am sick of people making all the other West teams as some sort of invincible freight trains. They lose to bottom feeders just as much. It's just magnified more because we follow THIS team so closely.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You keep telling yourself that. We shouldn't have lost this game, but I am sick of people making all the other West teams as some sort of invincible freight trains. They lose to bottom feeders just as much. It's just magnified more because we follow THIS team so closely.

Reality check, Chaplin: this team is on a slippery slope. If you dont realize it, then I dont know what to tell you

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
At least the Lakers beat the sub .500 teams. :D

How's that been working out for you guys in the playoffs the past couple of years?

edit: Oh, I should also point out that the point of this thread isn't to compare the Lakers and Suns--which some of the less enlightened Lakers fans appear to be doing. It's to question the notion that the Lakers have accomplished anything in the last six years that warrant their mattering.

Along those lines: As a Suns fan, I'm way more concerned about the Spurs. Hell, even the Mavs are playing great basketball. The Lakers can look forward to yet another first round exit, same as always.

Last edited:

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Steven, I think I may have seen you at the game the other night. Is this you, weeping openly now that it's been conclusively shown that the Lakers with Gasol can only consistently beat sub .500 teams?

And what's the Suns record against the top 8 in the west BeeBeard? Should I even point out that you guys just lost to the 76'ers? If we're going to play this game after every single win or loss it's going to get pretty silly. No team goes undefeated, and sometimes good teams have bad games against bad teams. It happens.

The Lakers are no more doomed by their loss to Portland then the Suns are by their loss to the 76'ers. The difference is, at least ours came after a 10 game win streak. When you can say the same, then we'll talk.

How's that been working out for you guys in the playoffs the past couple of years?

How's it been working for the Suns through out history? Oh yeah, zero titles.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The Lakers wouldnt lose a game like this. Neither would the Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, Warriors, Jazz, or Nuggets

Spurs: 1/29 - 88-85 loss @ Seattle

Mavs: 2/10- 101-82 loss @ New Jersey, 2/11 -84-76 loss @ Philly

Rockets: 1/15- 111-107 loss vs. Philly

Jazz: 2/26- 111-100 loss @ Minnesota, 2/22- 114-104 loss @ Clippers

Those are just a few of the teams with a few of the losses.

I'm a bit frustrated with and nervous about this team as well, but everyone loses to bad teams.

Ode to Ocho

Registered
Reaction score

Keep holding onto those meaningless playoff victories. The Lakers had no business in the playoffs in the first place while starting Smush Parker and Kwame Brown. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Have fun watching the Lakers dominate for the next 10 years while Suns quietly fall out of the playoffs this season.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Spurs: 1/29 - 88-85 loss @ Seattle

Mavs: 2/10- 101-82 loss @ New Jersey, 2/11 -84-76 loss @ Philly

Rockets: 1/15- 111-107 loss vs. Philly

Jazz: 2/26- 111-100 loss @ Minnesota, 2/22- 114-104 loss @ Clippers

Those are just a few of the teams with a few of the losses.

I'm a bit frustrated with and nervous about this team as well, but everyone loses to bad teams.

Lakers also lost to Atlanta, after the Gasol Trade. It can happen to any team.

KCi

Reaction score
Oh, I should also point out that the point of this thread isn't to compare the Lakers and Suns--which some of the less enlightened Lakers fans appear to be doing. It's to question the notion that the Lakers have accomplished anything in the last six years that warrant their mattering.

Didn't the Lakers make the Finals less than 4 years ago. By your logic, the Suns haven't accomplished anything since it's existence.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Didn't the Lakers make the Finals less than 4 years ago. By your logic, the Suns haven't accomplished anything since it's existence.

So you quote me as saying something along the lines of "this thread wasn't about comparing the Lakers to the Suns" and then refuse to stay on-topic, and do exactly that anyway? Also, way to butcher my native language by misspelling "its" while calling the Suns an "it" as well. You're really off to a strong start, "KCi." Welcome to my ignore list.

Steven

Reaction score
^You weren't off to a hot start either my friend. Who said Bynum would be out for an additional 8 weeks? Who said Bynum tore the ligaments in his knees? Don't point out someone else's spelling mistakes when you can't even read. So I wouldn't be talking. :)

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
So you quote me as saying something along the lines of "this thread wasn't about comparing the Lakers to the Suns" and then refuse to stay on-topic, and do exactly that anyway? Also, way to butcher my native language by misspelling "its" while calling the Suns an "it" as well. You're really off to a strong start, "KCi." Welcome to my ignore list.

Well if im not mistakened was it not you who sort of "cheapened" the Lakers 10-gamer by invoking the sub .500 patsie notion when its been noted that they did defeat the Magic, Suns and Portland. Two of those three were beaten on the road.

But you can relinquish the stronghold on the argument about owning the Lakers in the playoffs, as things have changed now. You just might be reminded of that if there were to ever be a head-to-head matchup in these upcoming playoffs. Its no longer the Lakers of Kobe and some D-Leaguers as others have stated. We're bringin lumber and not Legos this time.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Well if im not mistakened was it not you who sort of "cheapened" the Lakers 10-gamer by invoking the sub .500 patsie notion when its been noted that they did defeat the Magic, Suns and Portland. Two of those three were beaten on the road.

But you can relinquish the stronghold on the argument about owning the Lakers in the playoffs, as things have changed now. You just might be reminded of that if there were to ever be a head-to-head matchup in these upcoming playoffs. Its no longer the Lakers of Kobe and some D-Leaguers as others have stated. We're bringin lumber and not Legos this time.

Meh. This is all talk and bluster at this point. I mean I think we can agree that unless a team has an impressive playoff run starting in April, it doesn't matter how many lottery teams they beat (or don't, as the case may be). Will the Lakers actually go deep in the playoffs? Well gosh, who can say?

But the more you build up this current Lakers team as something special, something different, the more I will relish their early exit that much more. I don't know if it will be the Suns vs. Lakers in the first round--nobody knows that because the seeds are so tough to predict right now. But it will be a team, throwing the City of Angels into turmoil soon enough. Gasol is a proven disaster in April, Bynum won't be fully recovered and will be run off the court, and Kobe Bryant's finger will be slapped and beaten by every swingman stopper in the league. Yeah, I'm just not seeing it happening for L.A. Not this season, anyway. Make sure you catch us a big one! :D

KCi

Reaction score
^^ lol..Trying to correct a simple grammatical mistake won't make you sound any less ignorant. The reason why you didn't want to compare the Suns and the Lakers in this thread was because it would obviously expose your whole " Lakers haven't accomplished anything in the last six year "statement.

So you quote me as saying something along the lines of "this thread wasn't about comparing the Lakers to the Suns" and then refuse to stay on-topic, and do exactly that anyway?
No, I just find it hypocritical that you would make that statement yet be guilty of doing just that in this very thread. And how naive do you have to be, to believe that an 18 page thread on a Suns forum ,discussing the Lakers, will not involve comparisons between the two teams. :rolleyes:

2. Fractional accomplishments. Winning a playoff series, or making it to the Conference Finals, for example, counts for something albeit something much less than winning it all. Under this theory, the Lakers have done nothing for 3 years and that will remain the case until they actually win a playoff series this season (no guarantees on that, either, since the West is packed with good teams at every seeding position.) Also, as a Western Conference Finals team, the Suns had a better year last season than two dozen other teams, including the Lakers.
:lmao:Way to live up to your own words.

Steven

Reaction score
Keep thinking that buddy. You seem to think that the Lakers only have a one or two year window of opportunity. Think again. Kobe is 29 years old, and has not shown any signs of slowing down. Pau Gasol is only 27, and Bynum is only 20 years old. Lamar Odom (for what it's worth) is 28. We have a great nucleus and this team will contend now, and in the future. Guys like Ronny Turiaf (25), Jordan Farmar (22), Sasha Vujacic (24), and Trevor Ariza (23) have all played a major factor this season, and they will only get better. I can't say the same for the Suns, who have a 34 year old Steve Nash, who has clearly declined this season (or at least that's what Suns fans say, he doesn't play a lick of defense), 36 year old Shaquille O'Neal, who won't get any better than he already is. Raja Bell? 32. Grant Hill? 36. Bottom line is, the Lakers have a big window of opportunity, and while teams like Boston, San Antonio, and Dallas get older, we'll only get stronger. Notice I didn't even mention Phoenix because you guys will probably struggle to make the playoffs next year. Shaq is guarenteed to miss 1/3 of the season, like he always has, and then you guys will be left to fend for yourself. And seeing how well you guys have been playing lately, I don't think it will turn out too pretty, will it? So keep on thinking Kobe will destroy his finger (even though he doesn't even seem the least bothered by it), keep thinking Bynum tore a ligament and will be out an additional 8 weeks (even though he'll be back late March or early April, and still have another couple of games to get into shape), but in the end, you should be more worried about your Suns. :)

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
I love how San Antonio seems to be relegated by both casual fan and the 4-letter network to below the Lakers, and yeah they are young and have talent just like Portland. But what San Antonio does better than anyone is play the cap and it's style of play on anyone. Spurs have a bunch of cash to play with, since they will only have Tim, Manu, Tony, & Bruce as their only signed players after 08-09. They will be able to play the FA market and say, they get someone like oh I don't know, Elton Brand...they'll still be a force. It could happen, prepare yourself, it could very well happen.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I love how San Antonio seems to be relegated by both casual fan and the 4-letter network to below the Lakers, and yeah they are young and have talent just like Portland. But what San Antonio does better than anyone is play the cap and it's style of play on anyone. Spurs have a bunch of cash to play with, since they will only have Tim, Manu, Tony, & Bruce as their only signed players after 08-09. They will be able to play the FA market and say, they get someone like oh I don't know, Elton Brand...they'll still be a force. It could happen, prepare yourself, it could very well happen.

I think the problem that people see for the Spurs is that Duncan is getting older (not worse, mind you, but he's getting up there in years) and Ginobili's style of play doesn't seem conducive to a long, productive career.

Parker is young, sure, but the Spurs' "core" isn't really all that young.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Question:
I think the problem that people see for the Spurs is that Duncan is getting older (not worse, mind you, but he's getting up there in years)
Kobe Bryant has played 1 more year in the League than Duncan, why is it that no one say he's getting up there in years?
About Ginobili, while it's true that he does take a pounding, you guys already know he is a great shooter, he can fill that role with relative ease and Parker, well...he is both young and experienced. It's about the cap and not only that, it's also about having talent that will attract the stars whose very presence affects the NBA Landscape. Elton Brand will be one of those people.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Well, because Kobe came to the NBA straight out of High School, and Duncan played 4 years of college ball maybe?

Exactly, Kobe is a couple years younger then Duncan. The other reason is because Duncan statistically is having a drop off year while Kobe is leading for MVP. They don't start to say your age is getting to you when you're leading the league in MVP votes.

Steven

Reaction score
No Kobe will start to fall off. According to BeeBeard, his entire pinky finger will fall off his hand, and then Andrew Bynum's entire leg will become completely detached from his body.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No Kobe will start to fall off. According to BeeBeard, his entire pinky finger will fall off his hand, and then Andrew Bynum's entire leg will become completely detached from his body.

It seems like Kobe's pinky will be fine (although its swollen and red like an apple, gross). Transitioning Bynum back into the offense will take time. His knee was pretty seriously injured and Gasol will have to take on a different role entirely.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the problem that people see for the Spurs is that Duncan is getting older (not worse, mind you, but he's getting up there in years) and Ginobili's style of play doesn't seem conducive to a long, productive career.

Parker is young, sure, but the Spurs' "core" isn't really all that young.

Timmy turns 32 in late April.
Kobe turns 30 in August.

That's just under 2.5 years apart. Timmys game lends itself to having a long career. Can Kobe play at this level at 35? I'm sure Timmy can play near this level till he's about 38 or so (see below)

Statistically he's down because of the emergence of Parker as a legitimate offensive threat. Fact is, the Spurs no longer need to rely on his offense to get them through games. Another important fact, his MPG are down as well. Almost no one takes note of these things anymore.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like Kobe's pinky will be fine (although its swollen and red like an apple, gross). Transitioning Bynum back into the offense will take time. His knee was pretty seriously injured and Gasol will have to take on a different role entirely.

I don't care about Bynum integrating into the offense. 100% confident he'll flow right in.

I don't care about Gasol taking on the PF role. He's smart, and picked up the center role quickly. He's talented enough to slide in...what the league should be afraid up is what he'll be like late next year when he actually KNOWS the offense.

What worries me is Bynum's confidence in his knee when he comes back and if he'll still be as aggressive as he was pre-injury when he was second only to Dwight Howard in dunks. It might take him quite a few games until he "forgets" that he had a knee injury and plays like he's 100%. Physically he may be healed, but mentally is almost as important.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05