How has Joe Thomas performed so far??

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
I know that most NFL teams had Joe Thomas as the No1 Tackle in the draft and we might have picked him as well if the Browns hadnt picked him. I dont follow the Browns game much, so how has he been performing?? Is he as good as he was projected??
I know that its too early to tell, but Levi has been good in what little we have seen him so far.. So, did we make the right choice or you guys still wish that JT was available at No 5???

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, Dinesh, Joe Thomas was not available at #5, so why speculate?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He's played in all 6 of the Browns games.

None of our last 3 first round draft picks started for us against Carolina. :bang:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grimm wanted Levi over JT.

yup. Thats enough for me. Plus the guy was a S-T-U-D when he was actually playing. He was mauling people.

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
Grimm wanted Levi over JT.

what was he supposed to say "I really wanted Thomas, but we couldnt get him so we drafted the next best thing"

whether or not Levi turns out better or not lets not be ignorant to what teams say to the media and what they say/think in private.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what was he supposed to say "I really wanted Thomas, but we couldnt get him so we drafted the next best thing"

whether or not Levi turns out better or not lets not be ignorant to what teams say to the media and what they say/think in private.

He said that openly before the draft ever took place.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And let's not be ignorant as to what you are talking about in general Feeble McFeeble.

Grimm was all over Levi BEFORE the draft ever took place. It was clear that they were angling to draft him, and it was no surprise at all. Grimm wanted him over JT, and said as much. It's the main reason I went and researched Levi in depth since I was a fan of JT...I knew we'd take Levi even if JT was on the board.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And let's not be ignorant as to what you are talking about in general Feeble McFeeble.

Grimm was all over Levi BEFORE the draft ever took place. It was clear that they were angling to draft him, and it was no surprise at all. Grimm wanted him over JT, and said as much. It's the main reason I went and researched Levi in depth since I was a fan of JT...I knew we'd take Levi even if JT was on the board.

come on guys - if you have no shot to draft JT (which we didn't) of course our guys are going to pimp the player they likely were going to have to draft. Even coaches know part of their job is PR. Thus I'd take anything out of our coaches mouth with at least a grain of salt, especially considering the ENTIRE world rated Thomas ahead of Levi.

That being said - who cares? We didn't even have the opportunity to draft Thomas so why does it matter? That being said, he's got to be doing something right as that beyond pathetic Cleveland offense from last season is lighting up the scoreboard this year and is wayyyyyy up in passing and rushing stats.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
come on guys - if you have no shot to draft JT (which we didn't) of course our guys are going to pimp the player they likely were going to have to draft. Even coaches know part of their job is PR. Thus I'd take anything out of our coaches mouth with at least a grain of salt, especially considering the ENTIRE world rated Thomas ahead of Levi.

That being said - who cares? We didn't even have the opportunity to draft Thomas so why does it matter? That being said, he's got to be doing something right as that beyond pathetic Cleveland offense from last season is lighting up the scoreboard this year and is wayyyyyy up in passing and rushing stats.

You didnt know we had no shot till draft day. There was plenty of talk in draft shows and amongst experts that Joe Thomas could drop as far as we were picking.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didnt know we had no shot till draft day. There was plenty of talk in draft shows and amongst experts that Joe Thomas could drop as far as we were picking.

That was a reach at best and you know it Shane. Most experts had him going at 2, if not to the Bucs. Almost no one had him falling all the way to five. You know it and I know it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a reach at best and you know it Shane. Most experts had him going at 2, if not to the Bucs. Almost no one had him falling all the way to five. You know it and I know it.

No I dont. It was a reach that we could get Matt Leinart at 10 but it happened. So far the other 9 are looking pretty smart right now by the way.

There was many many draft boards that had him falling to us and many experts thought we would get lucky and have him fall to us. Shoot many expexted Cleveland to take Quinn at that pick not trade up and get him later in the round.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL Draft Countdown had us taking Thomas in their final mock draft. :shrug:

2007 Final Mock Draft

Round One

1. Oakland Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, QB, L.S.U.
2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (f/DET): Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
3. Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
4. Detroit Lions (f/TB): Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
5. Arizona Cardinals: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/archive/2007/mock.html

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I dont. It was a reach that we could get Matt Leinart at 10 but it happened. So far the other 9 are looking pretty smart right now by the way.

There was many many draft boards that had him falling to us and many experts thought we would get lucky and have him fall to us. Shoot many expexted Cleveland to take Quinn at that pick not trade up and get him later in the round.

sorry man, but you must have been reading different sites than me considering that ther were three teams ahead of us, all with dire needs for a LT and pretty much everyone saying that he wouldn't last through all of them. Regardless, when the team would likely be LUCKY (by your own admission) to get Thomas by all accounts, anyone who knows how to play the PR game (and i consider our Pitt coaches pretty smart so they do) are gonna pimp the guy they are most likely to get (Levi) over the guy they aren't likely to (Thomas).

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2007 Final Mock Draft

Round One

there were a ton of those. Thx for looking that up by the way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2007 Final Mock Draft

Round One

well, that's one!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry man, but you must have been reading different sites than me considering that ther were three teams ahead of us, all with dire needs for a LT and pretty much everyone saying that he wouldn't last through all of them. Regardless, when the team would likely be LUCKY (by your own admission) to get Thomas by all accounts, anyone who knows how to play the PR game (and i consider our Pitt coaches pretty smart so they do) are gonna pimp the guy they are most likely to get (Levi) over the guy they aren't likely to (Thomas).

That could have all been PR. But for some reason I just dont think so. just a stupid hunch really.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could have all been PR. But for some reason I just dont think so. just a stupid hunch really.

and you definitely COULD be right - I'm just saying whatever is said at draft time should be taken with a grain of salt.

and that being said, JT has played very well for a rook so far and up to this point is certainly more durable than Levi.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and you definitely COULD be right - I'm just saying whatever is said at draft time should be taken with a grain of salt.

and that being said, JT has played very well for a rook so far and up to this point is certainly more durable than Levi.

Boy isnt that the truth. but I can say with what I saw out of Levi for 2 games I am VERY excited about his future. He was blocking his ass off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy isnt that the truth. but I can say with what I saw out of Levi for 2 games I am VERY excited about his future. He was blocking his ass off.

i loved what I was seeing also... just not stoked on him being glass Joe so far. We need him back in there - the O-line looked so much better with him in there.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is this: if Leonard Davis hadn't turned out to be such a POS Tackle, then we could have drafted Peterson instead of either Thomas or Brown.

JTS

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I see the Browns some every week here. Thomas has played very well.The addition of him and Eric Steinbach has really solidified that OL.Too bad LeCharles Bentley can't get healthy,they would have one the better OL's around.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The bottom line is this: if Leonard Davis hadn't turned out to be such a POS Tackle, then we could have drafted Peterson instead of either Thomas or Brown.

JTS

Considering who was coaching the team those 3 years we don't really know if Davis was a POS Tackle. But they should have kept LD and drafted Brown. Then we would have had real talent at Tackle and Guard.