How has Joe Thomas performed so far??

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rod Woodson did it with the Raiders. I'm not saying that I disagree with your point but...

a) Rod Woodson never played with the Raiders and b) that's pretty much the exception to the rule (assuming you're talking about Charles Woodson). Bottom line, that's such a miniscual risk, a good GM takes it if he thinks there will be a market for his player out there.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
a) Rod Woodson never played with the Raiders and b) that's pretty much the exception to the rule (assuming you're talking about Charles Woodson). Bottom line, that's such a miniscual risk, a good GM takes it if he thinks there will be a market for his player out there.

Rod Woodson did play for the Raiders in 2002 and 2003.

I think that Ken was talking about Charles Woodson though. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rod Woodson did play for the Raiders in 2002 and 2003.

I think that Ken was talking about Charles Woodson though. :D

whoa! then count me wrong there. Really, he played for the Raiders? I thought he ended his career with the Ravens. Was he on the Super Bowl team?

Also, that situation is completely different (not to mention the absolute exception to the rule) because the Raiders were wayyyy over the cap and his people were afraid the Raiders would pull the offer because of that after the Moss deal.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
OK ya got me, it's Charles. :thumbup: Like I said, I don't disagree with your point, I just see the girl turning "anti-clockwise".

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100203

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
whoa! then count me wrong there. Really, he played for the Raiders? I thought he ended his career with the Ravens. Was he on the Super Bowl team?

Yes, Rod played for Baltimore from 1998-2001. He made the Pro Bowl in 2000, the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl.

His final two seasons were with Oakland.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
no one's stuck with anything considering that most guys who are tagged wait forever to sign the tender which means a good poker player GM can try to get something in trade and if that's not possible, then, viola, you rescind the tag and he goes on his way. Nothing gained, nothing lost. And no - no player EVER signs the tage immediately so please don't even say that could have been a scenario that would have played out.

And the other "good poker play" GMs can spot a "bluff".

They know when a player is wanted, and whether he fits into their plans. They also know that a GM has to make decisions on how much to dedicate to Free Agency, and how to setup their draft board early in the off seaon.

So, voila, they wait, and wait... and eventually the tag is rescinded and the approach the free agent without having to give up anyhing from the first day draft. And, although the chances are relatively small, you do risk having that unwanted free agent sign the tender.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Happy 9000th post!

Problem, as you can appreciate, is you have to exercise the tag beforehand. Find the team willing to give you the 3rd. rounder and cross your fingers that Big's reps agree to a deal. And, if not - you're stuck with a guy at 9-10 million for the year - who really doesn't fit into your plans.

3 Teams offered him more then 40 Million dollars all within the same division. Dallas ended up paying him 50 Mill. Not really a cross your fingers moment here they really wanted him and they were fighting over him. There is nothing like 3 teams in the same division fighting over 1 player to drive up value. You can revoke the tag later on if you wish and Davis was not going to sign the tag while talking to 3 different teams for longer term cash. Even if he did sign the tag you can still trade him just as easily which I have already gone over in the past while it was happening. All of that wouldnt have even messed with anything we did in free agency or the cap on future years.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 Teams offered him more then 40 Million dollars all within the same division. Dallas ended up paying him 50 Mill. Not really a cross your fingers moment here they really wanted him and they were fighting over him. There is nothing like 3 teams in the same division fighting over 1 player to drive up value. You can revoke the tag later on if you wish and Davis was not going to sign the tag while talking to 3 different teams for longer term cash. Even if he did sign the tag you can still trade him just as easily which I have already gone over in the past while it was happening. All of that wouldnt have even messed with anything we did in free agency or the cap on future years.

Okay, if I tell you I agree, can we move on?

:lol:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the other "good poker play" GMs can spot a "bluff".

They know when a player is wanted, and whether he fits into their plans. They also know that a GM has to make decisions on how much to dedicate to Free Agency, and how to setup their draft board early in the off seaon.

So, voila, they wait, and wait... and eventually the tag is rescinded and the approach the free agent without having to give up anyhing from the first day draft. And, although the chances are relatively small, you do risk having that unwanted free agent sign the tender.

see Joe's post. And considering that two of the teams interested (and everyone knew were going to be interested) were the Skins and Cowboys who both HAVE made deals for guys who have been tagged or were restricted and have little regard for draft picks in the past not to mention bad GMs, your point really doesn't hold much water.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Viola the Tag is taken away an wham now you have 31 other teams trying to get the same guy instead of just trading for him to make sure you do get him. Or Viola its now 2-3 weeks into FA and you no longer have the cap space to sign the guy any more. You want him you trade for him. And a teams plans are never as obvious to other teams so they have no clue if they want said player or will just drop them later on, unless you are a GM and team that are complete morons and let other teams know what is going on. If teams knew what other teams where going to do or were thinking the Draft wouldnt be nearly as up in the air as it is.

I guess people just didnt realize the magnitude of last offseasons trade market. The best trade market ever in one offseason. Look what Miami got For Wes Welker, heck a freakin Kicker was traded for a 6th rounder. Thats only a small sample. The FA market was crap with a ton of money to spend. Lots of fighting over a small amount of players lead to bigger prices and a ton of trades becuase that was the only way to upgrade your team and actuall spend your money(its also why I am not that to upset with the whole Roster bonus thing we did anymore). If there was ever a market to have the stones to franchise a guy and try to trade him that was the offseason. It will be the same market this next offseason as well.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just in passing: Viola, maybe the name of someone's grandmother, but it's VOILA, if you mean "and there..:. Trust me, I was educated in French.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in passing: Viola, maybe the name of someone's grandmother, but it's VOILA, if you mean "and there..:. Trust me, I was educated in French.

I love it when people can't admit they're wrong so they resort to pointing out spelling errors rather than respond in the conversation. and my apologies on being educated in French. ;)

Last edited:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IfAs to Davis, he is playing at a Pro Bowl level in Dallas. He has been especially effective pulling and blocking at the second level. Dallas is very pleased with him.

Which tells us nothing about how he would have performed here.

No one doubted his potential, it just seemed like he wanted out of here

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, if one starts a post with "just in passing" can it still be deemed an "attack?"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, if one starts a post with "just in passing" can it still be deemed an "attack?"

no - was just in a rush to get back to something and was to lazy to write "pointing out". yes, cheese is lazy and busy at the same time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which tells us nothing about how he would have performed here.

No one doubted his potential, it just seemed like he wanted out of here

all the more reason to tag him, since like you said, it seemed like he wanted out of here and he had potential that no one doubted, thus he likely wouldn't have broken the long-standing practice of signing the tender immediately.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
On L. Davis, it seems Grimm and Whis didn't think even with coaching he would be worth the money and getting Gandy and believing in him says a lot of what they thought of Davis. I think Davis is an above average Ol none the less but not for the Pro-Bowl money he wanted from us.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Back to the "what-if" game for a second--considering most seem to think that the Card's were lucky to have Leinart fall to #10, what if he didn't? Who would the Card's have taken and where would they be now?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Back to the "what-if" game for a second--considering most seem to think that the Card's were lucky to have Leinart fall to #10, what if he didn't? Who would the Card's have taken and where would they be now?

Cutler, and he would be sitting on the sidelines right now with a broken collarbone.

With perfect hindsight I'd have taken Landry last year instead of LBrown or Peterson. We need a better secondary badly and it looks like Grimm can take just about anybody and make a decent offensive lineman out of them. With Edge on the roster Peterson was a luxury we couldn't afford.

Just like Leonard Davis. :D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Patrick Willis would have been nice
Wrong draft. I think that DJ is right. Cutler would have been our man and we would be gnashing and weeping about "what if" we had gotten Leinart. Out of the surprise picks before Leinart (Huff, Whitner & Simms) I think that the only guy that we may have taken was Simms.