How has Joe Thomas performed so far??

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I remember Grimm saying that he thought that Thomas and Brown were rated nearly identical.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering who was coaching the team those 3 years we don't really know if Davis was a POS Tackle. But they should have kept LD and drafted Brown. Then we would have had real talent at Tackle and Guard.

I can't argue with the coaching part.

JTS

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with the coaching part.

JTS

I think just about everyone, except maybe Shane, thought Davis was a better T than Gandy. I think what Grimm has done with Gandy has been amazing. He surely could've helped Davis too.

But, we did what we did, and I'm happy the line is playing as well as it is. I hope Levi can play after the bye.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i loved what I was seeing also... just not stoked on him being glass Joe so far. We need him back in there - the O-line looked so much better with him in there.

Looked? they were arguably better. For example, Edge had 277 yards gained out of 60 carries the first three weeks when Levi was playing, and 245 yards with 69 carries the last three games. 32 more yards on 9 fewer carries with Levi in the game.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
So, how has Joe Thomas looked? Good, I guess.

Rookie of the year
1. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings. Reggie Who? Being in Chicago and watching Peterson run all over Minnesota this past Sunday, I was thrilled just as much as all the Bears fans in the bar were disappointed. He has moves and vision you just can't teach, and that acceleration to the outside once he finds a seam inside? Wow. He's joining Brady in a runaway victory.
2. Marshawn Lynch, RB, Bills. There haven't been many bright spots in Buffalo's offense, but Lynch, with his tough running and versatility, is an easy standout. He has better potential than Willis McGahee, and more important, a much better attitude for being a Bill.
3. Dwayne Bowe, WR, Chiefs. I loved this guy when he was at LSU, and he's delivered as the complete package with his size, speed and hands. It's been a while since KC got a wideout who can ideally play off tight end Tony Gonzalez for big plays, both downfield and in the red zone.
4 (tie). Nick Folk, K, Cowboys, and Mason Crosby, K, Packers. Kickers don't get enough respect for all the pressure situations in which they need to excel. Folk and Crosby have both been booming and have been clutch legs for the NFC's two best teams. But don't forget about: Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions and Joe Thomas, OT, Browns. Johnson got off to a hot start, only to be slowed by a back injury. But if he's healthy the rest of the season, he can make up good ground on Peterson with TDs in bunches in Mike Martz's passing game. Anderson wouldn't be firing the ball downfield to Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow without Thomas' blindside protection.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think just about everyone, except maybe Shane, thought Davis was a better T than Gandy. I think what Grimm has done with Gandy has been amazing. He surely could've helped Davis too.

But, we did what we did, and I'm happy the line is playing as well as it is. I hope Levi can play after the bye.

Come on aj. Gandy is playing at a higher level at LT then LD did in 3 years at the position. Do you really deny that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked? they were arguably better. For example, Edge had 277 yards gained out of 60 carries the first three weeks when Levi was playing, and 245 yards with 69 carries the last three games. 32 more yards on 9 fewer carries with Levi in the game.

i know this, that's why they looked better out there. Not sure what the issue is? I didn't say they were a mirage. Obviously something's going to look better if it is better. At least that's obvious to me.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this, that's why they looked better out there. Not sure what the issue is? I didn't say they were a mirage. Obviously something's going to look better if it is better. At least that's obvious to me.

Yup line was WAY better with Brown. Not only running but pass protection was WAYYY better!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on aj. Gandy is playing at a higher level at LT then LD did in 3 years at the position. Do you really deny that?

Shane, I know you're not dense so this thing against LD must really cloud your judgement because you totally missed AJ's point, which was this: Gandy was thought to have been a complete disaster at T everywhere he'd gone before Grimm got a hold of him. No considering how good Gandy looks, wouldn't LD have probably looked just as good if not better with the same coaching? Or at his rightful position.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Shane, I know you're not dense so this thing against LD must really cloud your judgement because you totally missed AJ's point, which was this: Gandy was thought to have been a complete disaster at T everywhere he'd gone before Grimm got a hold of him. No considering how good Gandy looks, wouldn't LD have probably looked just as good if not better with the same coaching? Or at his rightful position.

I was one of Big's biggest detractors... But, the Gandy example is a solid one, and even I would have to assume that Big would have been much improved under Grimm - particularly if he was moved to Guard!

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was one of Big's biggest detractors... But, the Gandy example is a solid one, and even I would have to assume that Big would have been much improved under Grimm - particularly if he was moved to Guard!

I think you have to take into consideration the relative cost of the two individuals. The Cards are getting far more value with Gandy than they would with Davis.

When you add the risk that LD might not have responded to the coaching, it is easy to see why the Cards made the decision they did.

JTS

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly cheese.

See, it's not THAT hard to understand, is it Shane? ;) Yes, Gandy is playing better than Davis and I'm thrilled. He was AWFUL in Buffalo. He sat around for a few weeks in free agency, and there was not even a whiff of a rumor of any other team pursuing him. Grimm getting so much out of so little makes me think he could have done a lot with Davis too. Then, maybe we could've gotten AP if we had kept Davis and signed Gandy.

But, I don't really care now. It's water under the bridge, and I'm pulling for the guys who are here.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly cheese.

See, it's not THAT hard to understand, is it Shane? ;) Yes, Gandy is playing better than Davis and I'm thrilled. He was AWFUL in Buffalo. He sat around for a few weeks in free agency, and there was not even a whiff of a rumor of any other team pursuing him. Grimm getting so much out of so little makes me think he could have done a lot with Davis too. Then, maybe we could've gotten AP if we had kept Davis and signed Gandy.

But, I don't really care now. It's water under the bridge, and I'm pulling for the guys who are here.

Your rigth i misread what you were saying. I went back and re-read it and it makes perfect sense to me now. :D

However I cant say that with any shadow of a doubt LD would be that much better with Grimm. I just dont believe that LD was suited to be a T. I said all along to pay him less money and move him to guard and I will be happy. We had a coach or two that were highly thought of as OL coaches within the NFL if I'm not mistaken.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

To your earlier question:

No considering how good Gandy is, wouldn't LD have probably been just as good if not better with the same coaching? Or at his rightful position

(looks can be deceiving...)

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To your earlier question:

No considering how good Gandy is, wouldn't LD have probably been just as good if not better with the same coaching? Or at his rightful position

(looks can be deceiving...)

huh?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If I recall the question correctly, Thomas has been playing very well. He was a solid pick. As to Davis, he is playing at a Pro Bowl level in Dallas. He has been especially effective pulling and blocking at the second level. Dallas is very pleased with him.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall the question correctly, Thomas has been playing very well. He was a solid pick. As to Davis, he is playing at a Pro Bowl level in Dallas. He has been especially effective pulling and blocking at the second level. Dallas is very pleased with him.
To my untrained eye, LD seems to be the extra blocker on the line quite often on pass plays. Meaning he will just be standing waiting for someone to block.

Not sure what that means, just something I noticed.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think (not sure) it means defenses are trying to go around him rather than through him.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

We so could have got a draft pick for him. But the that isnt in the spirit of the franchise tag according to som FO people.

Maybe we could have had a 3rd rounder that actually made the team.

Speaking of 3rd rounders, why do we currently have 2 spots open on the practice squad. I know we had one open so who else was let go and who is going to take those 2 spots, Moses?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We so could have got a draft pick for him. But the that isnt in the spirit of the franchise tag according to som FO people.

Maybe we could have had a 3rd rounder that actually made the team.

Speaking of 3rd rounders, why do we currently have 2 spots open on the practice squad. I know we had one open so who else was let go and who is going to take those 2 spots, Moses?

Happy 9000th post!

Problem, as you can appreciate, is you have to exercise the tag beforehand. Find the team willing to give you the 3rd. rounder and cross your fingers that Big's reps agree to a deal. And, if not - you're stuck with a guy at 9-10 million for the year - who really doesn't fit into your plans.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree their was no way Joe Thomas was falling to us at number 5, but I am more then happy with Levi Brown would've been okay with Adrian Peterson also but oh well lol, Levi Brown was the type of player we needed at number 5 not a rb

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think (not sure) it means defenses are trying to go around him rather than through him.

Defenses seldom went through LD when he was at Tackle. They'd just line up way outside and run around him. It's why most of the sacks from that side came when the QB backed out of the pocket.

With LD at guard instead of Wells and people would be talking about Edge's sensational year instead of why we didn't draft AD.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy 9000th post!

Problem, as you can appreciate, is you have to exercise the tag beforehand. Find the team willing to give you the 3rd. rounder and cross your fingers that Big's reps agree to a deal. And, if not - you're stuck with a guy at 9-10 million for the year - who really doesn't fit into your plans.

no one's stuck with anything considering that most guys who are tagged wait forever to sign the tender which means a good poker player GM can try to get something in trade and if that's not possible, then, viola, you rescind the tag and he goes on his way. Nothing gained, nothing lost. And no - no player EVER signs the tage immediately so please don't even say that could have been a scenario that would have played out.