i still can't understand the shelton cut...

sundevil81

Veteran
Reaction score
i assume this was a cap cut but why now, it seems to really hurt our depth. with ross, davis, step, wells, bridges, brown, shelton, clement we had a pretty deep o-line, not to say that clement and shelton were anything special but they were decent depth guys, maybe even move one of them to G if bridges, wells or brown don't work out. now we have ross, davis, step, briges/wells and brown with very bad depth unless you count leckey. considering our qb needs more protection than anyone in the league to be successful, depth seems pretty important. we have plenty of room under the cap this year couldn't we have cut these two next year and still have had the extra cap room. maybe this is just my lack of knowledge of the cap but it doesn't make sense to me if anyone out there is a capologist fill me in.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
It's easy he sucks. He's coach Mac garbage. Why keep around a cancer who isn't producing and is lazy. Denny is cleaning house, proving a point, and sending a message.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
It's easy he sucks. He's coach Mac garbage. Why keep around a cancer who isn't producing and is lazy. Denny is cleaning house, proving a point, and sending a message.

umm... how exactly was he a cancer again?

From what's been said, Shelton's been nothing but a team player - taking his demotion like a man, not complaining etc.

Personally I wish we'd have kept him, but I do understand that he was not performing well, which led to his demise. But not him being a cancer.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

LJ is not a cancer or lazy. He got demoted while hurt and never truly got a fair shot with Green here.

LJ - best of luck wherever you end up. You're much more than "coach Mac garbage" to most of us fans. Don't let a few negative posters get you down. Thanks for your time here.

BIM

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
IMO we couldn't get squat for him because teams knew we would cut him.

He had time on his deal yet, however if he's cut then the new team gets to write his deal however they want.

It happens like this all the time in the NFL, no one gives up anything for players like LJ because they know what's comming.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevil81 said:
we could have at least got a fifth rounder for him

then tell me - why DIDN'T WE?

as far as negatvie posters - people that are calling him a cancer are going too far but those who believe he was just another part oft he Mackage aren't negative - they're REALISTIC.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
then tell me - why DIDN'T WE?

as far as negatvie posters - people that are calling him a cancer are going too far but those who believe he was just another part of the Mackage aren't negative - they're REALISTIC.

Saying he was a "Coach Mac guy," or something like that, would be more apprpriate than calling him "coach Mac garbage." To me that's ridiculous. Spin it however you want, I think it's negative to call someone else garbage or say that they suck.

Maybe I'm biased because I have dealt with LJ off the field - I just don't understand the negativity toward him. :shrug:

Why not say "It didn't work out. Best of luck wherever you end up." ? Why is it "You suck. You're a cancer." :shrug:

It's not like LJ has gone Simeon or anything. What has he done to stir up the haters? He's been very mature about this whole situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
LJ is not a cancer or lazy. He got demoted while hurt and never truly got a fair shot with Green here.

LJ - best of luck wherever you end up. You're much more than "coach Mac garbage" to most of us fans. Don't let a few negative posters get you down. Thanks for your time here.

BIM

you know, i really gotta call out all the "fair shot" posters. it's bs. denny wants to win badly enough that he'll keep you around if he thinks you can add to his "w" column. that's the only thing that keeps you on or off the squad. thus either you can't perform physically to his standards or you're a malcontent that undermines his program. since lj is obviously not a malcontent (that we know of - just b/c he's nice in the papers doesn't mean he's great elsewhere) i think denny just doesn't think he can help this team in winning. denny's ego is too large to let anything else get in the way of winning.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Maybe I'm biased because I have dealt with LJ off the field - I just don't understand the negativity toward him. :shrug:

Why not say "It didn't work out. Best of luck wherever you end up." ? Why is it "You suck. You're a cancer." :shrug:

I agree with the above - I see no reason why people are calling him a cancer. That being - I still thought he was a huge underachiever and am happy to see him go, but wish him luck on hisnext stop. He's been a class act as far as what he's said about the organization - but he still sucks. :thumbup:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
you know, i really gotta call out all the "fair shot" posters. it's bs. denny wants to win badly enough that he'll keep you around if he thinks you can add to his "w" column. that's the only thing that keeps you on or off the squad. thus either you can't perform physically to his standards or you're a malcontent that undermines his program. since lj is obviously not a malcontent (that we know of - just b/c he's nice in the papers doesn't mean he's great elsewhere) i think denny just doesn't think he can help this team in winning. denny's ego is too large to let anything else get in the way of winning.

That's it, my thoughts exactly. I don't think it was anything other than that. DG sees more than we do and can evaluate alot more than we can. I hope he goes somewhere and starts, he was a good guy.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the first things Green said about the team was that they watched film of the oline and concluded that 4 of the 5 guys should not be starting or played the wrong position. I think that's why only one guy is left more than anything else. They just didn't think that line was any good, and it's really hard to argue it was.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shelton was let go because the Cards were scheduled to pay him THREE million dollars. They didn't want to.

It had nothing to do with buying into any system or being in "Green's doghouse" it was about the money.

Shelton was the beneficiary, along with a few other players, of the Cardinals extending contracts to show the fans, media and agents that the team had changed its ways and was moving into the modern age of NFL contracts and personell management.

Once that was accomplished the Cards got rid of all the over paid players.

Used to be that they would cut a guy like LJ and he would re sign with the team for a salary more commenserate with his performance. I don't know why but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Players end up signing for less money but now it is with another team.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Denny wants nasty, aggressive run blockers. Shelton was a backup LT suited to finess pass protection.

Somewhere along the line between Tobin and Mac this TEAM got neutered.

Denny is doing his best to restore some conjones to this team, and thank god for it, it's a bout time.

seesred

Reaction score
It's not a money problem, it's not a cancer problem, it's an ability problem. Denny gets bonused up when he wins. The coaches and Green don't believe LJ can help us. That's it. There is no more to understand. LJ nice guy came in out of shape last year off an injury. Green doesn't want players coming in soft with any excuses. He should have come in ready to play. He didn't. When he played RT he wasn't that good. Then they tried others and knew they had a problem and part of that problem was LJ. He had his chance to shine and he didn't period. We have a zillion LJ threads with we should have got at least, why didn't we, can't he at least back up and still there are some that question the Ken Doll move.LJ, KEN doll, et al were an over paid bad line.

The extensions were given before Green came. Maybe it was Graves, maybe it was Mac and maybe the coaching staff didn't know how to get better so they settled. DAvis out of position should have been the LT from year one and maybe he would be bettrer than he is. There is a guy that could have, maybe still can, be a great lineman if he ever decides he wants to play every down.
BUt Mac thought heck Davis will like RT. He screwed up many things but the line was his mastermind. IMO it was the fall of Plummers confidence and ultimate leaving town. Anyway LJ is GONE....NEXT!

GBR

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yes Cancer in the sense that he was another one of the overpaid, highly drafted players that Mac brought in and were just coasting and collecting paychecks. That type of mentality spread throughougt the team and now all of those type of players are pretty much gone.

I didn't know him personally, and could care less if he was a nice guy. He didn't produce and obviously was doing something very wrong if he was in Denny's doghouse.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:

BIM

And the conservative and liberal agree. Whoo hoo! :cheers:

Seriously though, I liked LJ a lot. Let me echo Brian's thanks and I hope you get a good job somewhere else and succeed.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yes Cancer in the sense that he was another one of the overpaid, highly drafted players that Mac brought in and were just coasting and collecting paychecks. That type of mentality spread throughougt the team and now all of those type of players are pretty much gone.

I didn't know him personally, and could care less if he was a nice guy. He didn't produce and obviously was doing something very wrong if he was in Denny's doghouse.

Prior to last year, LJ was the Cardinals most consistent lineman. He didn't go from capable starter to total garbage in one year.

DKCards

Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Shelton was let go because the Cards were scheduled to pay him THREE million dollars. They didn't want to.

It had nothing to do with buying into any system or being in "Green's doghouse" it was about the money.

Shelton was the beneficiary, along with a few other players, of the Cardinals extending contracts to show the fans, media and agents that the team had changed its ways and was moving into the modern age of NFL contracts and personell management.

Once that was accomplished the Cards got rid of all the over paid players.

Used to be that they would cut a guy like LJ and he would re sign with the team for a salary more commenserate with his performance. I don't know why but that doesn't seem to happen anymore. Players end up signing for less money but now it is with another team.

LJ already got paid his $3 Mil as part of his signing bonus. That was the cap hit not his salary. He was going to make $800 K this year in salary. So it was a playing decision not a money decision

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DKCards said:
LJ already got paid his $3 Mil as part of his signing bonus. That was the cap hit not his salary. He was going to make $800 K this year in salary. So it was a playing decision not a money decision

His salary was $3,000,000 in 2004 so I assume that he was going to make that again in 2005. I think you have it backwards. The 800k was the portion of his signing bonus that will be charged to 2005 cap.

And to SEESRED, It's always about the money!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
IMO we couldn't get squat for him because teams knew we would cut him.

He had time on his deal yet, however if he's cut then the new team gets to write his deal however they want.

It happens like this all the time in the NFL, no one gives up anything for players like LJ because they know what's comming.

Yep, trade him last year possibly,being out of shape at the time would have made it tougher, trade him now, damn near impossible that's why the Henry deal was worth exploring since Buffalo had a specific need but they've solved that (snicker).