I think the Suns are blowing it!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns are trying to sell more season tickets this year and so far have a net loss over last year. The best way to showcase this team would be to get them on TV during preseason. Anyone on the fence about buying tickets is probably waiting to see what the team looks like. I think you generate more ticket sales in general by getting fans excited by the upcoming season. If I were the GM, I would lower preseason ticket prices just to get potential fans into the house, and I would televise the games to showcase the team. I looked at the Suns' preseason schedule on Suns.com and they have "no TV" by each of the games listed. Who decides these things? :shrug:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I don't think that's the Suns' decision, to put the games on TV. What station would want to broadcast a preseason game? How much of an viewership would that really get?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
green machine said:
I don't think that's the Suns' decision, to put the games on TV. What station would want to broadcast a preseason game? How much of an viewership would that really get?

I'd be glued to the TV...

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
yotes1921 said:
All Lakers pre season games are on TV

Lakers have a different fanbase then we do.

I mean, I'd watch the games, and I'm sure the big Suns fans would too. But how many of us are there? How many people would want to watch it, how many would watch it? Is it enough to make showing the game worth it?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing Yuma. They could at least show them tape-delayed at midnight or something. I'm not too familiar with midnight programming anymore, but don't they just show reruns of Moisha or something?

On a second note, do they charge full price for preseason games?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Well, considering the over half (I forgot the exact number) of league revenues come from TV deals, we can assume stations pay a VERY large amount of money to broadcast each game.

To give an idea of the amount of money we are talking about, the NBC deal that ended 2 years ago netted the league 1.45 billion over 4 years. The Turner deal that ran along the same time netted them 890 million.

Now this was a deal that started the year after Jordan retired. Arguably the worst 4 year period in the league in the last 15 years.

The Suns do not pay to put games on TV, the TV networks pay the suns. The suns have little to no control over it.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
NY Knicks control their TV. Madison Square Garden TV or something like that. We are so small market.....

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
NY Knicks control their TV. Madison Square Garden TV or something like that. We are so small market.....

Thats what happens when the owner is also the owner of cablevision.

There can't be more than a handful of professional sports teams, if any others that have a deal like the Knicks do.

About the market size, you are right. If you want a real look at how the NBA handles television, you have to consider LA and NY outlyers.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Does anyone know why they don't put games on NBATV? Instead of games, they continuously run a commercial for the NBA Season Ticket. I would think that preseason games would be a better way to advertise your product.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Does anyone know why they don't put games on NBATV? Instead of games, they continuously run a commercial for the NBA Season Ticket. I would think that preseason games would be a better way to advertise your product.

I have no information on it, but I would assume it has something to do with their current TV deals having provisions not allowing the league to televise games without consent. There really isn't any other reason for it.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What sucks is there is no more Cox 9 Suns games so the only time we get to watch the team now is on National TV. :( for the past years I have only missed a few games now I am going to be lucky to see 10 games.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SweetD said:
What sucks is there is no more Cox 9 Suns games so the only time we get to watch the team now is on National TV. :( for the past years I have only missed a few games now I am going to be lucky to see 10 games.

Away games are mostly on 45 cable 16. Most other games are on fox(34). Last year there were only a few games not televised and most of those were against low draw teams.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
SweetD said:
OK I am off... Just had to track it down....

Suns Release 2004-05 Television Schedule

Posted: Aug. 16, 2004

The Phoenix Suns announced their 2004-05 television schedule today, and Suns fans will again be able to watch all 82 regular season games on either local or national broadcasts.

UPN 45 enters its 17th consecutive season covering the Suns and will have 41 games (39 away), highlighted by road contests vs. defending NBA champion Detroit Pistons on Jan. 17 and newly-acquired Suns guard Steve Nash’s first encounter versus his former club, the Dallas Mavericks, on Nov. 16. UPN 45 will carry two home games (Nov. 13 vs. Sacramento Kings and March 11 vs. Houston Rockets).

Fox Sports Net Arizona will televise 39 games (37 home) this season, including the season opener vs. the Atlanta Hawks on Nov. 3 at America West Arena and Shaquille O’Neal’s first visit to the Valley of the Sun in a Miami Heat uniform on Jan. 11. FSN AZ will air two away games (Nov. 17 at New Orleans Hornets and March 23 at Charlotte Bobcats).

Phoenix will appear on national television eight times this season. TNT has exclusivity to two games when the Suns host Dallas on Feb. 17 and Detroit on March 3. The six-game ESPN schedule is highlighted by a matchup against the Rockets’ Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady on Jan. 5 when no other NBA game will be available on television in any viewing market.

For the 35th-straight season, all Suns games will be broadcast on radio on the Suns flagship station, KTAR Radio 620 AM, with the “Voice of the Suns” Al McCoy calling play-by-play action.

Season ticket packages offer the best available locations at America West Arena (including a limited number of seats in the lower bowl), a savings of $5 to $17.50 off single-game prices, and one of the more attractive benefits packages in professional sports. More information about season ticket packages is available online or by calling (602) 379-SUNS. Single-game seats will go on-sale in late September based on availability.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
SweetD said:

Cox carries Fox sports too, so if you got the cox 9 games you would have been able to see every game.

CardNots said:
Last year there were only a few games not televised and most of those were against low draw teams.

All 82 are televised, every year for at least the past 4.

I was stoked when they ended the deal with cox. The only reason I had that sorry excuse of a provider was to watch suns games. I was finally able to get sat in my house once the switch was made!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the Suns are upset about low season ticket sales they're out of line.

I think a lot of season ticket holders were pretty pissed last year when the Suns stunk so bad and traded good players away to dump salary. This after selling fans on the idea that the Suns were an up and coming playoff contender.

The only way the Suns are gonna get butts back in the seats is by winning. Free agent signings are good but wins are better. On top of that even the occasional fan is aware of the Suns front court problems.

I don't have a problem with any of the moves the Suns made but I didn't shell out big bucks for lower bowl last year either. :shrug:

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:

Well The NFL Sunday Ticket put ALL preseason games on their plan!! ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake