Idea!

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
If we don't get a top 3 pick why not trade our pick and the new york pick so we can take Okufur (sp)

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Nobody's going to go for that.

i guess it would really depend on what pick we have and what pick new york has, and then it would also depend on who declares and who is available.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's too early to game plan the draft. Trading up is not as impossible as it might seem, but it takes luck. A lot depends on the team's salary situation.

The rookie salary structure is such that the higher the pick, the more expensive the player will be. Why pay for a player you like with a fifth pick if you can get him for a 12 and pay less money?

A #1 pick costs $3.3 million the first year, $3.7 million the second year and $3.8 million the 3rd year.

A #10 costs $1.45 million the first year, $1.55 the second, and $1.68 the third.

The point is that if the player you want is not available, there may be people willing to pay (usually with extra picks) to move up. Then the extra picks can be used with others of your own to trade up even higher.

Even without using future picks, there are numerous options. This is why giving away picks to clear cap space can prove a lot more expensive than some people imagine.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I would trade both the draft picks to grab Oakfor.

I would throw in a backup like KC also...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
I would trade both the draft picks to grab Oakfor.

I would throw in a backup like KC also...

A future pick would make more sense in both directions.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brandon_Webb
Erm well what about also throwing in the Cleveland pick/New Yorks other pick?

So you're saying to trade 3 picks for a higher pick in THIS draft?? Are you crazy???

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
So you're saying to trade 3 picks for a higher pick in THIS draft?? Are you crazy???

The sad thing is, it wouldn't even work.

Trading up at the top of the draft is nearly impossible anyway, and when a team has its sights on a potential franchise player like Okafor, they're not going to trade their pick without getting a similar-quality prospect in return. (Remember the Elton Brand trade?)

Two years ago, Phoenix and Portland were both trying to trade up to #6 or so for Amare, and neither team could find anybody who was willing to deal; last year, the highest 'pick trade' was Boston moving from 16 to 13, and even that might not have happened if the Warriors hadn't taken Pietrus...

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score

Last time I remember seeing that happen was the rockets and nets a while back.

Seem to remember the 3 for 1 worked out pretty good in the rockets favor :rolleyes:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tank
Last time I remember seeing that happen was the rockets and nets a while back.

Seem to remember the 3 for 1 worked out pretty good in the rockets favor :rolleyes:

That's because the rockets took a total head case with that high draft pick.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that most teams at the bottom of the draft are screwed up. When the Suns were trying to move up, they made an offer to Cleveland who used their pick for Wagner - who was certain to be available at the 9th pick.

Actually, the Suns may end up going the opposite direction and trade down rather than up to pick up more future picks. I get the feeling there is as much value in the middle of the first round than in the lottery, so maybe getting a future first would be a better choice. A guy like Rafael Araujo of BYU may be as good a center prospect as any, but he is likely to last until the 20's.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brandon_Webb
If we don't get a top 3 pick why not trade our pick and the new york pick so we can take Okufur (sp)

Why don't we trade Marion in some package for a high pick to get Okafor or Howard? And draft Warrick or maybe Smith to replace him long term and cheaper.

Sorry, but Shawn is just very frustrating this season. He is like JJ was before but not as smooth, with no excuses and a max contract.

I would like to see if Marion can return to old form but I am also afraid of being stuck with him if he can't.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
If we can't trade up to a sufficient level (top 3) in the draft then I prefer to package them with Eisley, White or both of them. Eisley I really want to get rid of.

I dont think we want to use all of our draft picks (especially if the Cavs made the playoffs). Using all our picks will only add salary and more youth to our already extremely young team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: Re: Idea!

Originally posted by slinslin
Why don't we trade Marion in some package for a high pick to get Okafor or Howard? And draft Warrick or maybe Smith to replace him long term and cheaper.

Sorry, but Shawn is just very frustrating this season. He is like JJ was before but not as smooth, with no excuses and a max contract.

I would like to see if Marion can return to old form but I am also afraid of being stuck with him if he can't.

Gawd, do you know ANYTHING about Marion's contract? All I hear from you is trade him! His BYC status make him virtually untradable.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Idea!

Gawd, do you know ANYTHING about Marion's contract? All I hear from you is trade him! His BYC status make him virtually untradable.

Glad to see you wised up and are using the word "virtually" now...In a previous post you were flat out stating he was untradable period....WRONG

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Idea!

Originally posted by creed
Glad to see you wised up and are using the word "virtually" now...In a previous post you were flat out stating he was untradable period....WRONG

Show me the post.
And I know you're just going to post something that semantically isn't worth jack. And I suppose you're one of the people that wants to trade Marion for a 1st round draft pick, right?

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idea!

Show me the post.
And I know you're just going to post something that semantically isn't worth jack. And I suppose you're one of the people that wants to trade Marion for a 1st round draft pick, right?

Ignoring the BYC issue, the only team that can accept Marion in exchange for a draft pick is Utah. But this is a team that has an SF in the All Star game. They can get better deals for people they need.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idea!

Show me the post.
And I know you're just going to post something that semantically isn't worth jack.

Here are the posts....No need to say you're sorry...I know you are.:D

Marion can't be traded. Can't. Not won't.

Let's see...

For the one hundredth time, SHAWN MARION CANNOT BE TRADED!!!

Whew, I hope that covers that, at least for today.

Arizona Sports Fans Network - Crap Bowl 2003 - Suns vs. Clippers
Address:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21146&perpage=15&highlight=creed&pagenumber=5

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Idea!

Originally posted by creed
Here are the posts....No need to say you're sorry...I know you are.:D

I'm sorry. Where's the crow? :D