I'm going to puke

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Whis has stated among others that Peterson cleared medically, and that it wasn't a concern.

And as we all know teams are completely honest right before the draft. Come on guys you're smarter then this.

Nobody had Brown going top 5, and there is a reason for that. I think we can both agree, Peterson has a far greater chance of being a great player than Brown. We panic because our tackles are atrocious, and because the Browns pick Thomas, we get screwed. This all gets back to not taking care of the tackle position in free agency. We replace the guy we could have easily afforded for exactly the same type of player.

I like Peterson but the fact that he can't stay healthy is a HUGE red flag especially for a guy that we are going to give so much guaranteed money to. I would've prefered like everyone else to trade down and get some extra picks and then draft Brown if we wanted him that bad.

The problem is I didn't know that the Falcons were so high on him to take him on 8 so we got pretty much screwed

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if this is the guy that they feel will be one of their best O-lineman for years to come......then it is a good pick.
First, let me reiterate that I'm okay with the pick.

But, this is wrong-headed thinking. Just because the Cards THINK a guy is going to be good doesn't make it a good pick--especially when you're passing up other guys who have got to be more highly rated (Landry, Peterson).

That goes for any team, but especially for the Cardinals.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
And as we all know teams are completely honest right before the draft. Come on guys you're smarter then this.

I like Peterson but the fact that he can't stay healthy is a HUGE red flag especially for a guy that we are going to give so much guaranteed money to. I would've prefered like everyone else to trade down and get some extra picks and then draft Brown if we wanted him that bad.

The problem is I didn't know that the Falcons were so high on him to take him on 8 so we got pretty much screwed
It is hard to trade down these days. you just don't get the compensation that you want.....then there is the chance you don't get your guy. I could see someone trading for johnson ala manning a couple of years ago. but with the way the draft has gone thus far......it looks like a lot of teams have players dropping to them.

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A- we don't know if they tried to trade down. It might not have been a possiblity with ATL wanted Brwon at 8th.

B- People are forgetting that L.Davis sucked, and was the false start king. Who know who would have traded for him.

Again- 5 more picks to go. If the rest suck, I'm right on board with you.

Remember: Wilson, Boldin, Dansby, Dockett, Deuce, Fransisco, and Shipp were not first round picks. We can still pick up impact players the next two days!
A. We do know they didn't try to trade down. They spent the first six minutes on the phone with Brown per Adam Shefter.

B. LD didn't suck that bad he was a pro bowl alternate twice. He sucked for a second round pick but he was still our best Olineman next year.

I am not against picking him, I am against reaching for him. I don't care if he was the highest rated on the Cards board that is their PR spin on this they would have LOVED it if Joe Thomas fell to them.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I am going to give Levi a chance but holy crap was that a reach and that's my point. Plus they still could have gotten a good OT in the second round. Everyone said Levi is going to take a year to devolp his pass protection.

I really don't see that, alot of tackles in the 2nd round are being looked at as guards.

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really don't see that, alot of tackles in the 2nd round are being looked at as guards.
Blalock can play both and I think Ugoh will be there in the second. Plus even if you just traded the second pick to PIT for Fanaca this allows Wells to go back to RT.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I am not against picking him, I am against reaching for him. I don't care if he was the highest rated on the Cards board that is their PR spin on this they would have LOVED it if Joe Thomas fell to them.

Do you notice that your contradicting your self here? You don't know who was rated higher, so can't assume that they would of loved Thomas to be there.

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But hey on the bright side at least Ross is starting at tackle again.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
First, let me reiterate that I'm okay with the pick.

But, this is wrong-headed thinking. Just because the Cards THINK a guy is going to be good doesn't make it a good pick--especially when you're passing up other guys who have got to be more highly rated (Landry, Peterson).

That goes for any team, but especially for the Cardinals.
why is it wrong. You never can tell whether a guy will be great or a flopp when you are selecting that high. what you hope for is the guy to be a solid player to say the least. It's pretty clear the cards decided to fill a hole with a player they feel can be a franchise guy. I can't say i blame them right now. That's were they have the biggest problems on offense. you have edge, leinart, 2 all-pro's, pope, ect. this was their plan all along.

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you notice that your contradicting your self here? You don't know who was rated higher, so can't assume that they would of loved Thomas to be there.
My point is that they probably said that they liked Levi better to prepare us in the event JT was gone which was most likely and we reached for Brown which we did.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just because the Cardinals like someone doesn't mean they're good. We should all know that by now.

Completely agree with you. With Graves leading our drafts we are completely screwed. Green at least understood how to evaluate players and put together a draft.

the fact that Graves made a "risky" pick immediately puts him back into the "I'm still a giant MORON" bin. Given his history, he needed to pick an impact player, who was as close to a "no miss" guy as possible. Instead of going with AP or even Landry, he REACHES for LT to fill a hole he created all on his own. Complete incompetence.

I can't describe how insanely upset I am right now. Peterson was sitting right there for us. This is LT for Tomlinson all over again. Or, more recently with Graves, passing on Terrell Suggs.

Graves...digging ours one draft pick at a time.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Blalock can play both and I think Ugoh will be there in the second. Plus even if you just traded the second pick to PIT for Fanaca this allows Wells to go back to RT.

There is alot of talk about Blalock and Ugoh not having the feet and height to play on the edge. LT is too critical postion to leave to the 2nd and 3rd round.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I am going to give Levi a chance but holy crap was that a reach and that's my point.

Its only a reach if he doesn't develop and that we could have traded down and still gotten him. The problem is that we couldn't trade down because the Falcons 3 spots down would've taken him.

It sucks but thats reality

Plus they still could have gotten a good OT in the second round.

Well if you listen to the draft "experts" then they'd say that they're only 4 good OT prospects in the draft (Thomas, Brown, Staley, and Ugoh). After those 4 it was a huge drop off and with the need for Olinemen league-wide, its one helluva assumption that one of them would be there at 38.

The other high Oline prospects were interior linemen.

Everyone said Levi is going to take a year to devolp his pass protection.

Everyone (including me) thought it would take years for Vince Young to develop. Turns out, we were wrong and if you look back at past drafts the "experts" are wrong just as often then they are right (or possibly more).

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'll give Levi the same chance I give every Cardinal, I root like heck for them to succeed because I want my team to win.

This isn't about him but it is about Graves allowing this train to run over him like he does every time he's in charge of a draft.

I hear all the line arguements but with one of the best O line coaches in the league supposedly, you leverage that and draft one in the 2nd round and go BPA first round every stinkin time.

This wasn't the optimum pick IMO by a long shot, it was a reach period.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its only a reach if he doesn't develop
I disagree. It's a reach because we passed on guys that project to be better football players to fill a need.

But, hey, we DID fill a need with a top-talent. So, that's okay...(i guess).

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is alot of talk about Blalock and Ugoh not having the feet and height to play on the edge. LT is too critical postion to leave to the 2nd and 3rd round.
Problem solved Ross is out LT! ESPN speculated Brown will start at RT and I agree. I still think Brown should go to LT and Wells to RT but I'll let the experts handle that and by experts I don't mean Graves.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was a good pick. I would have liked Peterson, but with Davis gone our o-line is so pathetic...Peterson would struggle to pass 100 yards on the season. Yes it's an exaggeration, but you guys are exaggerating too. I'm happy with the pick, I trust Whis and Grimm.

Okay, so there's a once in a every 5-6 year player on the board, someone that will dominate his position and we just threw away that future to REACH for a player at a position of need because Graves was so stupid as to not address it in the offseason...and you're okay with that? Graves is being incredibly short sighted, he's building for 1 year in advance, not even giving a look at the future here. Levi Brown is NOT a top rated tackle. He'll probably be good, but we can get a good tackle in FA or in the 2nd round, or trade or anything.

Where else are you going to get a TOP FLIGHT running back? Where? They don't fall out of trees and as much as I like Edge, he's got maybe 2 strong years left and then it's all down hill.

So we just gave away what could have been a player that generates fear in the hearts of opponents every Sunday for the next 8-10 years, to fix a hole for this 1 season, a hole which Graves created.

I want to puke.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I disagree. It's a reach because we passed on guys that project to be better football players to fill a need.

By whom though? Thats the problem. The experts are wrong just as often as they are right but yet people take what they say as gospel.

Some scouts said that Brown was a better prospect then Thomas.

But, hey, we DID fill a need with a top-talent. So, that's okay...(i guess).

and that we did do

BTW The Fins just passed on Quinn for Ted Ginn. Holy Crap