I'm going to puke

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I think the hysterics are pretty funny

We are acting like they just took Tony Ugoh at #5

Brown is a reach -- I would have preferred a trade down, but with the Vikings and Dolphins not taking Quinn, obviously they werent going to trade up for him.

Then I would have preferred Peterson, but would have then spent the rest of the offseason hoping he stays healthy.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
A more athletic Steven Hawking, though their speaking voices are equally annoying.

I am the only one who just pictured Hawking with a helmet returning a punt in his chair for a TD.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I think the hysterics are pretty funny

We are acting like they just took Tony Ugoh at #5

Brown is a reach -- I would have preferred a trade down, but with the Vikings and Dolphins not taking Quinn, obviously they werent going to trade up for him.

Then I would have preferred Peterson, but would have then spent the rest of the offseason hoping he stays healthy.

GREAT point!

Let it go, guys....

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't mind the pick. Was it my first choice? No, but it isn't going to make me hate my life and ruin my day like it has apparently done for some of you. He is a big physical tackle that Grimm will help mold into a great player. Was it a bit of a reach at 5? Perhaps. But we needed an O-lineman in the worst way. Of course this happens and we all start screaming that we should have traded down and picked up a few picks later on. Well the truth is it's not that easy so after no takers we stand pat and take the guy we like most for the team. I feel pretty good about it.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Graves is a total idiot. And the Bidwills as well. And Wis isn't much better.

Congrats to you. I had no intention of looking at the board today or tomorrow but then the bulb went on and I said I wanted to see the first Bidwill suck or graves is an idiot.

YOU WON. Not only is Graves a TOTAL idiot, you throught the new coach under the bus too. Again Congrats. On you next post there is still room to get Grimm under their too, cause you know he had something to do with this as well.

Now you will have a whole year to Rag, Rag, Rag. Nice job!

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
Holely-smoley guys will you calm down. We need as much OL as we can get. If some people think it's a reach, then so be it. Lets see if the guy can play first before we pop an artery. It's not like he's some pud. The guy is clearly 1st round talent and obviously NO ONE wanted to trade or they would have. Someone wrote he might have a bad knee and they wanted us to take a half-back facing potential knee surgery and a twice broken collarbone instead???

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This whole up in arms thing is ridiculous. I actually think there is a good possibility that had Thomas been on the board they STILL might have gone this route depending on how much influence Grimm already has.
Pittsburgh (as many astute posters have pointed out) has ALWAYS been of the philosophy of that they want physical maulers in the run game as oline man and pass protection as a secondary concern. The thinking is that you can always have an Edge, Terrelle Smith, or a TE back there to help with pass protection but the majority of your run blocking at the point of attack is going to come from the five guys up front. So Grimm and Wiz's philosophy is get guys who are big nasty run blockers and coach them up on pass blocking.

Is this a smart way to think? Well it won them a Super Bowl so it couldn't be all that wrong. I think this pick remionds me a lot of when Levi Jones was picked or a Marvel Smith. Those turned out to be pretty good fits.

The bottom line is if he is starting opening day (assuming he gets in on time) all the crying stops.

If he isn't.....well then all bets are off.

Right now we are banking is that the coaching (and specifically offensive line coaching) will be better than it has been in years.

Damn - where's Mitch when you need him???:)

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Congrats to you. I had no intention of looking at the board today or tomorrow but then the bulb went on and I said I wanted to see the first Bidwill suck or graves is an idiot.

YOU WON. Not only is Graves a TOTAL idiot, you throught the new coach under the bus too. Again Congrats. On you next post there is still room to get Grimm under their too, cause you know he had something to do with this as well.

Now you will have a whole year to Rag, Rag, Rag. Nice job!
When it's all said and done we are going to be thanking God that Whisenhunt and Graves came to the Cardinals. In no way was hiring those two guys setting this organization back. Passing AP or taking Brown didn't set this team back, but it may be a move we end up regretting.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I actually don't mind the pick. I'm geeked for a smashmouth running game.
The false start as a negative is pretty damn funny though.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When it's all said and done we are going to be thanking God that Whisenhunt and Graves came to the Cardinals. In no way was hiring those two guys setting this organization back. Passing AP or taking Brown didn't set this team back, but it may be a move we end up regretting.

I agree in a sense. I think AP will be an amazing back in the NFL and could very well turn into the best back in the game in the next few years. But at this point with the pieces we have I feel Brown was a good selection. But you are right I think in a few years we will be dreaming of what might have been with AP here. I still feel like we made the right move for the present situation though.

AzWins23

Reaction score
Everyone needs to stop crying...This is why we are the arizona cardinals...winning starts up front, and we got the player for a need!

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I defer to Whis and Grimm. They know who they want in their system. Peterson wouldn't have been able to run with the line we had. He would've been a luxury that wouldn't produce because of the blocking and everyone would be calling him a bust and still going crazy that the Cards once again didn't address the O-line problems. There was no one in free agency that would've upgraded the line. The area I still fault Graves with was not getting any compensation for Davis.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Both Thomas and Brown were slated to be a top 10 pick, I don't see all the angst about selecting Brown since Thomas was gone. As far as trading down, even Washington couldn't broker a trade either.

Last edited:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I don't get some of you...

Sounds like this is a reach by 3 positions (ATL was rumored to select him) which doesn't demand the grand-standing I see going on.

When the Cards selected Brown commentators gave reasons for the selection and for the most part they all made sense.

We all new the Cards really liked Brown and Thomas. Thomas was gone.

I want AP too, but it seems like every year there is a RB that will change the game. My guess is in the next two years we can easily pick up a new RB.

I can understand disappointment but to say the Cards are gonna suck next year because of one pick is ridiculous.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

Sounds like this is a reach by 3 positions (ATL was rumored to select him) which doesn't demand the grand-standing I see going on.

When the Cards selected Brown commentators gave reasons for the selection and for the most part they all made sense.

I want AP too, but it seems like every year there is a RB that will change the game. My guess is in the next two years we can easily pick up a new RB.

I can understand disappointment but to say the Cards are gonna suck next year because of one pick is ridiculous.

It's not terrible but it is an example of being forced into picks again, as always with a brief respite from that under Green.

This didn't have to be this way because of the way we handled the offseason but again I'm not arguing they didn't need to do this, I am in fact saying the problem is that they NEEDED to do this.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Graves is a total idiot. And the Bidwills as well. And Wis isn't much better.

Only a few sites on the web make me laugh out loud. I can always get a good laugh out of ASFN. Probably isn't a total incorrect statement . . .

But I would add the fans to your list. I think we may be idiots as well!!!

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I like Brown he seems like a nice enough kid. I don't like the pick because we were froced into it and once again we had to draft for need. If we suck it's because RG once again mismanged our offseason. We will get our RB next year in McFadden thanks Graves!(j/k)

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
In Whiz we trust....and Whiz trusts Grimm....and Grimm likes Brown.

I would have rather had Thomas or Adams....but Brown works.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The way I look at it, the Cardinals just traded LeRon Landry (or APeterson or Patrick Willis etal) and Leonard Davis for Levi Brown.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
In Whiz we trust....and Whiz trusts Grimm....and Grimm likes Brown.

I would have rather had Thomas or Adams....but Brown works.

Well our line is officially rebuilt, with Wells being possibly the only starter of old on it at RT.

Can't say it didn't need to be done and so far it looks as if it's complete and we can move on now to other areas and stop devoting gigantic amouts of resources to it.

Just wish we'd have done more in the offseason to keep the need there off our backs.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
It's not terrible but it is an example of being forced into picks again, as always with a brief respite from that under Green.

This didn't have to be this way because of the way we handled the offseason but again I'm not arguing they didn't need to do this, I am in fact saying the problem is that they NEEDED to do this.
But why is this different then if say the Cards selected Brown? I just don't see the huge disappointment...

I'm just glad I'm not a Miami fan!!!! Passing on Quinn is fracking stupid!!!

Could you imagine if the Cards passed on Leinart at 10 last year? Holy crap that would have sucked!!!!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I like Brown he seems like a nice enough kid. I don't like the pick because we were froced into it and once again we had to draft for need. If we suck it's because RG once again mismanged our offseason. We will get our RB next year in McFadden thanks Graves!(j/k)
You will need to change that to Grimm because he had Brown rated higher than Thomas. According to rumors...

OP
OP
CtCardinals78

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But why is this different then if say the Cards selected Brown? I just don't see the huge disappointment...

Could you imagine if the Cards passed on Leinart at 10 last year? Holy crap that would have sucked!!!!
If Green wasn't there I am sure Graves would have.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

I'm a Cardinal fan, of course I could imagine it.... :D