Is JJ THE MAN?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ had 31 points (12 of 27), 5 rebounds, 3 assists and did a great job on Marbury when he defensed him in the fourth quarter. He did all of this on a night when the Knicks defense was focused on stopping him.

In the process, JJ showed some fantastic moves close to the basket. He had at least three or four close shots just rim out and was effective both inside and outside.

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 1, 2004 12:00 AM

NEW YORK - Apparently, all Suns coach Mike D'Antoni had to do was ask.

Before the Suns lost to the Knicks on Saturday night, D'Antoni was talking about how well Joe Johnson has been playing.

"I don't know why he's got a problem with 30, though," he said. "I asked him why he can't score 30 in a game. He scores 26, 28 all the time."

So Johnson scored a career-high 31 against the Knicks.

"He's really playing good basketball," D'Antoni said. "He's putting up All-Star numbers. I don't know if anybody has been playing better than him the last three weeks."

Then D'Antoni joked that he might raise the bar.

"I'll let him get comfortable at 30 for a while, and then I'll ask him if he can score 40," he said.

Moments later, he stopped by Johnson's locker.

"Have you ever heard the term triple-double?" he asked.
Republic

King A

Registered
Reaction score
yea, he IS the man

at least for now.
he stands at 15.6 ppg for the season now.
he'll surely put that number up.

Will Kobe be necassary?

scudney

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished watching the game from last night. The thing that really impressed me about JJ was the way he was creating easy shots for teammates. He only ended up with 3 assists, but he was setting up players time after time leading to free throws.

That spin move JJ made in the lane was incredible. He also seems to able to get that floater off in the lane with ease. I think JJ will have a 40+ game yet this year. A triple double would also be nice :D

King A

Registered
Reaction score
LeBron just scored 38.

Must be a magic number for rookies coming coming out of high school :)

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by King A
yea, he IS the man

at least for now.
he stands at 15.6 ppg for the season now.
he'll surely put that number up.

Will Kobe be necassary?

Forget Kobe! We need a center!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phill11

I agree that the money would be better spent on a center, but more than anything the Suns need their power forward rotation to get healthy.

Joe Mama

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I agree that the money would be better spent on a center, but more than anything the Suns need their power forward rotation to get healthy.

Joe Mama

Very true. I say we save the money for the future. We Dont HAEV TO Spend it. Save it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Saving won't be very effective.

Until 2005 we will pay all of our draftpicks and Joe Johnson's new contract as well as the increases on our current contracts.

I didn't check out the details but logic tells me that Joe Johnson will cancel out Jahidi White's expiring contract and possibly a little more. Plus the first round picks and we will have significatly less capspace than this offseason.

Little capspace is useless because you get the MLE anyway even if you are just 1$ over the cap.

King A

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phill11

If you have a chance to sign such a player, you do it!

Plain and simple.

Or is there another top 5 player avaible???

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"I'll let him get comfortable at 30 for a while, and then I'll ask him if he can score 40," he said.

Moments later, he stopped by Johnson's locker.

"Have you ever heard the term triple-double?" he asked.

I love having D'Antoni as coach. Not only is he more knowledgable than our recent coaches, but he always gives a great qoute.:thumbup:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
JJ is playing very very good. Not only is he putting up good numbers but he is making it look easy. And shooting a high percentage.

I couldnt imagine him playing any better. But the guy "could" do even better. He is THAT talented.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ

I couldnt imagine him playing any better. But the guy "could" do even better. He is THAT talented.

I think the only thing he can't do real well right now is working without the ball. If he can learn to do that better and become better at catch and shoot he'd have the complete package.

fordronken

Reaction score
I don't have any problem with getting Kobe and playing JJ at the three. Can anyone say Scottie Pippen?

Oh, and by the way, who's Shawn Marion?

fordronken

Reaction score
Another thought on JJ

Many players, once they get their first decent contract, stop working hard and their success drops off. With Joe Johnson, though, I get the feeling that the security of a contract like that would make him feel more stable in his place on a team and he would end up playing more consistently. Who knows, but it's a thought.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The best part about JJ is he is a good kid. He doesnt get mad at the ref's or anything like that.

It makes it real easy to cheer for a guy like that.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
JJ is great but he still needs to work on his jumpshot. He's only really effective inside 15 feet as far as scoring goes. The suns may want to keep looking into getting kobe. JJ may be better off playin a small forward spot closer to the basket. That kind of leaves marion out unless the suns go small most of the time.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Believe me I would be thrilled if we did sign KOBE. But I dont think it will happen. And I think we would be better off getting some bigs instead....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need a good backup power forward who can also play some center.

Just look at the difficulty the Suns have had winning without Stoudemire.

Perhaps Lampe may fill this particular role sometime down the road, hopefully sooner than later.

However, a good power forward should be their focus in the offseason, unless of course, a good center should become available through the draft or free agency.

I do think it's easier to find a good serviceable power forward than it is to find a good center.

I like Kobe, but I think this team is headed in the right direction without him and they should stay the course. Our future looks bright with the young talent we have and those players we can acquire through the draft, draft rights and if need be, free agency or trades.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
The thing that's impressing me about JJ is that he's finally developing a "go-to" move.

The little spin away from the defender is breathtaking. And, his footwork once he gets the defender off-balance is lethal.

He's barely scratched the surface in terms of realizing his full potential.

I guess we fans better get used to seeing PHX players develop from teenagers to All-Stars.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly

He's barely scratched the surface in terms of realizing his full potential.
Thats so true.

He is playing great, but he could be even better soon. :thumbup:

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
Thats so true.

He is playing great, but he could be even better soon. :thumbup:

Every game JJ makes at least one "wow" play.

Even his outside shooting is improving. He hit 2 of 4 for 3 agains the Knicks, 3 of 8 against the Wizzards, and 1 of 2 agains the Pacers. I'd rather he got in closer, but they will not be able to just back off on him.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I remember two months ago everyone had given up on this guy. (Me included)

Something clicked. Good job proving us wrong joe! :thumbup:

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
I remember two months ago everyone had given up on this guy. (Me included)

Something clicked. Good job proving us wrong joe! :thumbup:

I never gave up on JJ, but I did get pretty frustrated. He would show brief spurts where he would look fantanstic and then look terrible for periods. Now, his terrible periods are very brief and his fantastic periods are getting longer and longer.

I always believed he'd be a good player, but I admit he has surprised me at how good he got so quickly

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What impresses me about JJ is that he plays D too.

Honestly, MJ was maybe the greatest player of all time, but there were other players whose offense was in the same league as MJ. The beauty of MJ was that his defense was as good as his O.

It is such a rare thing to have a player that is WILLING to play both ends of the court. While there has been some crit of Shawn's O lately, we actually have two players who are play the WHOLE game.