Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People really think Kyler can start winning with one maybe two adequate receivers and a banged up o-line.

Nobody expect wins.

They expect him not to repeatedly underthrow balls. Not to throw wobbly ducks. Not to throw the 2 yard pass to a guy in tight coverage that has no chance when there is a guy wide open. Not to throw late on timing routes. Not to throw bad passes on 3rd and 3 when the middle of the field is wide open and he could have run it easily.

Basically all the bad stuff which is under his control.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The look on his face going back on the field after the successful fake punt really threw me, he looked disappointed to be going back on to the field.

Reactions: PJ1

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nobody expect wins.

They expect him not to repeatedly underthrow balls. Not to throw wobbly ducks. Not to throw the 2 yard pass to a guy in tight coverage that has no chance when there is a guy wide open. Not to throw late on timing routes. Not to throw bad passes on 3rd and 3 when the middle of the field is wide open and he could have run it easily.

Basically all the bad stuff which is under his control.
All qb’s make bad passes and miss wide open receivers.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All qb’s make bad passes and miss wide open receivers.

On occasion. Not 75% of the time.

He finished with a flattering 27/45 and 256 yards and that was all garbage time.

He was 50% passing most of the game against a mediocre pass defense that you couldn't name a single DB from without looking.

I'm willing to give him some leeway for now but let's not pretend this is normal QB play.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Kyler simply isn't getting better - watching a rookie like CJ Stroud show much better command of a team and an offense the last couple of weeks has been eye opening.

I've never been on board with moving on from Kyler, but he's going to need to show much more or he'll be gone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler simply isn't getting better - watching a rookie like CJ Stroud show much better command of a team and an offense the last couple of weeks has been eye opening.

I've never been on board with moving on from Kyler, but he's going to need to show much more or he'll be gone.
100%. We don't have to decide right now, and (thankfully) it's not my decision to make. I still believe it's what Kyler does Monday through Saturday that's more important to Monti and JG's evaluation process than play on Sunday.

But, man, that was some bad football, and you have to wonder how long Michael Bidwill can accept his stadium having zero rizz.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s over, especially if we finish at #2(I actually think we will because despite how awful they’ve been, I think New England will sweep the Jets).

Was rooting for Kyler since I’ve been watching him since his days at Allen & I’ll still root for him when he’s on another team, but yea, it’s over.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. I was thinking he was going to have a wonderful afternoon and it would be nice to chat about. Then he fell apart like a 10-cent watch.
Not really the gameplan and playcalling totally switched, Connor had 4 runs that drive then 2 the entire rest of the game lol! Let’s not pretend the rest of the game was even remotely called similar to the first drive!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really the gameplan and playcalling totally switched, Connor had 4 runs that drive then 2 the entire rest of the game lol! Let’s not pretend the rest of the game was even remotely called similar to the first drive!
Doesn’t excuse how Kyler played. It shows an OC who is, I guess, ill prepared for his role

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not when Kyler had no pro-training camp and was thrusted into a brand new offense
But it doesn’t account for wobbly end over end throws that look like a three year old made the pass. Nor the sorry under thrown pass to a RB two yards beyond the line of scrimmage

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Nope. I was thinking he was going to have a wonderful afternoon and it would be nice to chat about. Then he fell apart like a 10-cent watch.

I was hoping for a little more at this point but am willing to be patient.

And I need to go back and watch the game again, because it seemed like the play calling changed after the first drive.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn’t excuse how Kyler played. It shows an OC who is, I guess, I’ll prepared for his role
Or it shows they are just experimenting in games while not actually trying to win. Running Connor only 6 times and 4 of those were In The scoring drive lol… could have easily stuck with a similar game plan but no they switched to shotgun and started chucking it all over with an Oline that’s not great in pass protection against the Rams Dline! Yeah that’s a recipe for trying to win. And while throwing it all over the place clearly told Kyler to stay in pocket and not to scramble, no called runs outside of the TD run, again in the first drive! So result is many sacks surprisingly not any turnovers and once again allow the Rams to dominate our pathetic defense! But yeah it’s all because Kyler’s numbers weren’t great while not using Connor, arguably our best rectwith any size at all in Wilson out, very few targets to the young TE, yep sounds like we were really going all out to try and win lol…

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best possible thing is Kyler actually playing like a mid NFL QB at this point but I’m starting to think that is a pipe dream
Yeah his 2 pro bowl selections while playing for an absolute disaster as an NFL coach were total accidents. He’s no better than a lot of the trash starting around the league right? Some of you are just blindly hating on the kid while he is surrounded by what? In a brand new system 3 games in he should be excelling right?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, none of the lame-duck throws, the throws into coverage, the end-over-end throws, or the poor touch on the deep ball is his fault because the play calling changed from one drive to the next. But recall your excuse is that he can't be held accountable because of the OL, and if the OL did well enough for him in the first drive, then it can't all be on the OL.

I'm curious. What exactly can be Kyler's fault? Because your messaging is nothing, ever. Is he a perfect QB to you? Is he doing the best any QB can do in this situation? Because he appears Teflon to you. For me? I gave him kudos the first week he's been back (and lots of kudos when he's playing well, ala the winning streak) and call him out when he's not playing well. You give him kudos when he does well and make every excuse under the sun when he isn't. Why?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah his 2 pro bowl selections while playing for an absolute disaster as an NFL coach were total accidents. He’s no better than a lot of the trash starting around the league right? Some of you are just blindly hating on the kid while he is surrounded by what? In a brand new system 3 games in he should be excelling right?
When he makes the decision to throw, yes at that point he should be excelling.

As for the Pro Bowls, what have you done for me lately? And yes, Kliff has nothing to do with his Pro Bowls :sarcasm:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was hoping for a little more at this point but am willing to be patient.

And I need to go back and watch the game again, because it seemed like the play calling changed after the first drive.
Sure it did. Still not an excuse for a lot of what we saw from him, though. It feeds into the "he can only play well if everything is perfect around him" narrative.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or it shows they are just experimenting in games while not actually trying to win. Running Connor only 6 times and 4 of those were In The scoring drive lol… could have easily stuck with a similar game plan but no they switched to shotgun and started chucking it all over with an Oline that’s not great in pass protection against the Rams Dline! Yeah that’s a recipe for trying to win. And while throwing it all over the place clearly told Kyler to stay in pocket and not to scramble, no called runs outside of the TD run, again in the first drive! So result is many sacks surprisingly not any turnovers and once again allow the Rams to dominate our pathetic defense! But yeah it’s all because Kyler’s numbers weren’t great while not using Connor, arguably our best rectwith any size at all in Wilson out, very few targets to the young TE, yep sounds like we were really going all out to try and win lol…
Coaches don’t keep their jobs if they aren’t trying to win. I get it. Kyler is perfect and it is everyone and everything around him that is the problem. Poor little $250m snowflake.