Is nobody else concerned about Fitz not getting seperation so far in camp?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
It is interesting.

How many of Gilmore's yards were yac I wonder. Or any other speed guy? If you're theory holds true the burner/deep threats should be low.
Charles Rogers, there's a comparison that should bear out.

Gilmore had 47 YAC yards in 2003. 22.5% of his total yardage (208). Not really a stat set to worry about.

Charles Rogers had 38 YAC yards out of 243, 15.6%.

It's hard to say. With guy's like Moss, they're both fast and big, so you can't tell.

18.6% of Terry Glenn's yards were after the catch. Here's a good one: 50% of Steve Smith's 1110 yards came after the catch. Interesting.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Thanks. Over 40% of Anquan's yardage last season was after the catch. By comparison, Torry Holt had 22.3% of his yards after the catch, Marvin Harrison had just over 25% of his yards after the catch, and just over 1/3 of T.O.'s yards were after the catch.

EDIT: Analysis: this just props up the thesis the Anquan can't get behind secondaries. He excells in the short passes, but the fact that his yardage after the catch was so disproportionate in comparison to the other top wideouts, it makes me think that he was blowing up the shorter routes, but failing to connect on the bombs.

Another interesting note: while we all know that Anquan's production sagged once Josh McCown took the starter's mantle, it's not because he wasn't looking Anquan's way. Anquan averaged 10 targets per game over the first 13 games of 2003, and 11.7 targets per game over the last three.

Interesting but how many bombs did the Cardinals connect on as a team compared to those teams? I would bet total passes over 20 or 30 yards would be much less. With the effectiveness of Jeff Blake and the Offensive line for last year deeper routes were not really that much of an option were they?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Gilmore had 47 YAC yards in 2003. 22.5% of his total yardage (208). Not really a stat set to worry about.

Charles Rogers had 38 YAC yards out of 243, 15.6%.

It's hard to say. With guy's like Moss, they're both fast and big, so you can't tell.

18.6% of Terry Glenn's yards were after the catch. Here's a good one: 50% of Steve Smith's 1110 yards came after the catch. Interesting.

Seems somewhat intuitive, you cover a guy like Rogers you're so afraid of him running by you , that you back off, give him a cushion, and then rush up to tackle him. With a guy like Boldin who you think can't run by you, you try to cover him tighter, so when he makes the catch, the margin for error on tackling him is much less.

Sort of like how 8 in the box can be so effective until someone misses a tackle and the RB goes 50 yards for a TD. You play really tight on a guy like Quan you sure as hell better make the tackle, or he's going to burn you. I don't see Fitz being that elusive after the catch, but I think he can get downfield better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05