Is Stewart Bradley this years FA bust?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Every year the Cards/Graves bring in at least 1 free agent that is a bust and gone after the first year. This year's candidate is Bradley. They gave him a 5 year 25 mill contract and he's playing in goal line situations only. I didn't like his signing from the get go and thought people on here were vastly over rating him. Sure, he's 6'5 and athletic but that doesn't make him a good player. Let's face it but they guy was injury-prone 4-3 LB(and really not all that great in that system). It's not like the Cards have some great LB corp and is hard to break into the starting lineup. The fact that he's behind Lenon AND Walker speaks volumes. Sounds like it was a good thing Quan Strurdivant stunk or he may not have made the team. I'm ready for all the excuse to come rolling in but, if he can't beat out Reggie Walker, I don't care what anybody says, it's not a very good sign. He's not some rookie and needs to develope. I guarantee he was signed to man the ILB from day 1, not battle Reggie Walker for playing time.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
No.

And since you don't care what anybody says, I will leave it at that.

Since we cannot bring up old posts from the past, I will make a gentleman's, avatar, whatever bet he will play more by years end and make an impact on this team.

Last edited:

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Cbus you are right What has he Ever done? But Sat on the eagels bench

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Every year the Cards/Graves bring in at least 1 free agent that is a bust and gone after the first year. This year's candidate is Bradley. They gave him a 5 year 25 mill contract and he's playing in goal line situations only. I didn't like his signing from the get go and thought people on here were vastly over rating him. Sure, he's 6'5 and athletic but that doesn't make him a good player. Let's face it but they guy was injury-prone 4-3 LB(and really not all that great in that system). It's not like the Cards have some great LB corp and is hard to break into the starting lineup. The fact that he's behind Lenon AND Walker speaks volumes. Sounds like it was a good thing Quan Strurdivant stunk or he may not have made the team. I'm ready for all the excuse to come rolling in but, if he can't beat out Reggie Walker, I don't care what anybody says, it's not a very good sign. He's not some rookie and needs to develope. I guarantee he was signed to man the ILB from day 1, not battle Reggie Walker for playing time.

You may want to read the story on the Cards web site, but, on second thought, given that you don't care what anyone says... why bother.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Can we really make this statement this early on? Especially, considering the preseason was abbreviated. Let's give the guy half the season before we write him off as a bust. The Cardinals loved his athleticism & attitide. Actually, I think that he was a bad fit for the Eagles & needs time to acclimate. We'll have a better idea within the next few weeks. CBus, will you be in DC this weekend??

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
No.

And since you don't care what anybody says, I will leave it at that.

Since we cannot bring up old posts from the past, I will make a gentleman's, avatar, whatever bet he will play more by years end and make an impact on this team.
:lol:, What kind of bet is that? He almost has to play more by years end. He can't really play any less.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Can we really make this statement this early on? Especially, considering the preseason was abbreviated. Let's give the guy half the season before we write him off as a bust. The Cardinals loved his athleticism & attitide. Actually, I think that he was a bad fit for the Eagles & needs time to acclimate. We'll have a better idea within the next few weeks. CBus, will you be in DC this weekend??
Won't make DC but Baltimore is looking better. I agree it's early but the concerning thing to me is that he's not a rookie so he shouldn't need that much time to acclimate and the fact that the other 2 guys aren't world beaters. I hope he plays well but it's not a good omen that he didn't even see the field, except in short yardage.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread rules.
claphat.gif

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree that it is troublesome that it's taking him so long to learn the system. The other difficulty is that KW said the guy needs physical reps to learn. Well, buried so low on the depth chart, he sure in the heck won't get many physical reps. I mean, I hope he comes on to do well this season, but I'm not counting on it right now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
One game in the books and he's already a bust?

Bradley wont be a bust. I've seen him play and when he's healthy, the man can flay out play and make his presence felt. He's getting acclimated to an entirely new system. With more practice and studying comes more familiarity with the 3-4. The lockout certainly limited this.

Bradley admitted he is still learning. Whiz is understanding about it.

I'm sure Horton will find a way to get him out there. Bradley is too talented.

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Sporting News All Pro team after his first year as a starter.
L
Sporting News all pro team and that means What now....did he go to the pro bowl i Do know he was starting in phily Then lost his starting spot and Then all he saw was the bench

TJ

Reaction score
I agree that it is troublesome that it's taking him so long to learn the system. The other difficulty is that KW said the guy needs physical reps to learn. Well, buried so low on the depth chart, he sure in the heck won't get many physical reps. I mean, I hope he comes on to do well this season, but I'm not counting on it right now.

So long? He lost 4 months of learning time due to the lockout. He lost 4 of practicing in vivo. 4-3 to 3-4 in addition to a new playbook is a much more difficult transition than you think.

Also, he is not "buried deep" in the depth chart.

Remember, we've played one game so far.

TJ

Reaction score
L
Sporting News all pro team and that means What now....did he go to the pro bowl i Do know he was starting in phily Then lost his starting spot and Then all he saw was the bench

Due to injuries. Not due to poor play.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One game in the books and he's already a bust?

Bradley wont be a bust. I've seen him play and when he's healthy, the man can flay out play and make his presence felt. He's getting acclimated to an entirely new system. With more practice and studying comes more familiarity with the 3-4. The lockout certainly limited this.

Bradley admitted he is still learning. Whiz is understanding about it.

I'm sure Horton will find a way to get him out there. Bradley is too talented.

Where is he going to play? Paris Lenon is a captain of the defense and wears (I'm pretty sure) the radio for the defensive playcalls. Daryl Washington is one of the three most talented players on our defense.

Maybe Bradley comes in for some sub packages (like the goalline where you'll use Washington as a 2nd safety because you don't want him playing so close to the line), but are you going to bench your captain because the front office made a poor move in free agency (again)?

Stewart Bradley is at the top of my list as the Free Agent Flop of 2011. I hope he's renting. Daryn Colledge is the only other clear possibility.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Where is he going to play? Paris Lenon is a captain of the defense and wears (I'm pretty sure) the radio for the defensive playcalls. Daryl Washington is one of the three most talented players on our defense.

Maybe Bradley comes in for some sub packages (like the goalline where you'll use Washington as a 2nd safety because you don't want him playing so close to the line), but are you going to bench your captain because the front office made a poor move in free agency (again)?

Stewart Bradley is at the top of my list as the Free Agent Flop of 2011. I hope he's renting. Daryn Colledge is the only other clear possibility.

Let's not get a head of ourselves and judge this signing ONE GAME into the season.

Tactical patience.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I think this year new players have to be viewed in a little different light--

all the offseason work is taken for granted by the fans -- I think its more important that realized

I was listening to a guy talk about all the big passing numbers this past weekend, and he was saying that he couldn't remember ever seeing the the number of blown coverages across the league that he did this past week. Thinks its a result of no offseason work.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cbus - If you're going throw Bradley under the bus because he didn't do enough in his first game as a Cardinal suggests that the NFL should have one-game seasons.

We could decide the Super Bowl contestants (& winner) on the basis of widest point differential. It would save everyone a lot of time.

If you bothered to read Urban's piece on Bradley, it takes time to convert from instinctively knowing the ins & outs of a 3-4 defense after playing most of your pro career in a 4-3.

Bradley is a smart guy and an athletic guy with good football intincts.

Prediction: If he stays healthy, he could very well turn out to be our 2011 defensive MVP

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ugh god no. it's just one game many are overreacting too.

I have watched Stew play ALOT. He is an absolute stud and maybe the most talented true MLB we have had in years.

Maybe the injury is still an issue or maybe he's ar 4-3 guy all the way but I wouldn't bet on either. By the end of the season he'll be starting and calling all the plays. Book it.

Again it's been 6 weeks in a complete new defense. That's what makes Kolb that much more remarkabkle. It would be completely justifiable if he was having similar struggles.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I see that you've found a new whipping boy.

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Cbus - If you're going throw Bradley under the bus because he didn't do enough in his first game as a Cardinal suggests that the NFL should have one-game seasons.

We could decide the Super Bowl contestants (& winner) on the basis of widest point differential. It would save everyone a lot of time.

If you bothered to read Urban's piece on Bradley, it takes time to convert from instinctively knowing the ins & outs of a 3-4 defense after playing most of your pro career in a 4-3.

Bradley is a smart guy and an athletic guy with good football intincts.

Prediction: If he stays healthy, he could very well turn out to be our 2011 defensive MVP
Lets see he Cant Start even though hes healthy but he is good enough to be defensive mvp

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I don't understand why he is struggling learning how to attack the one with the ball and making the play? His instinct and experience should carry him the rest of the way instead of worrying where he should be based on some offensive scheme that is designed to trick you anyway. Find the one with the ball and knock him down, it's not rocket science.

Excuse my rant, my medicine is starting to kick in, gotta go.