It's the Line stupid

Vito

Reaction score
No line. either side of the ball--- All the great QBs, receivers, and running backs mean squat if you have NO LINE.

10$ million under the cap?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why does everyone bring up the cap space? there is noone worth signing.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Vito said:
No line. either side of the ball--- All the great QBs, receivers, and running backs mean squat if you have NO LINE.

10$ million under the cap?

Our Dline was actually pretty decent today. They held Alexander under 100 yards but inconsistent with their pressure on the QB

Does anyone on our DLine know how to jump though? Its like they don't even bother trying to tip passes

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
The Cards are going to have find a way to stabilize the O-line they have now. No starting linemen are going to become available until FA and maybe not even then. The only hope is for a team that has no hope to be willing to trade for draft picks and I mean draft picks. Even so, will they be able to gel this season?

HooverDam

Reaction score
D. Green needs to change his entire offensive line philosophy. Big, slow guys aren't going to get it done. We have the heaviest line in the league. I'd much rather have quicker, leaner lineman. Also, "Big" should probably be a gaurd, he is so slow on the outside, seems like good DEs eat him up.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
CardShark said:
The Cards are going to have find a way to stabilize the O-line they have now. No starting linemen are going to become available until FA and maybe not even then. The only hope is for a team that has no hope to be willing to trade for draft picks and I mean draft picks. Even so, will they be able to gel this season?

Considering the chaos of players not knowing who they were blocking the entire game ... I'd have my doubts

There just seemed to be a general level of confusion on the line. Its embarassing having to see players figure out who they were blocking with only 2 seconds left on the play clock. That caused more penalties then anything else IMO

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Our Dline was actually pretty decent today. They held Alexander under 100 yards but inconsistent with their pressure on the QB

Does anyone on our DLine know how to jump though? Its like they don't even bother trying to tip passes

Dockett played his best game in two years. Clancy and Moore also did some good things. The DEs were a disappointment though.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Dockett played his best game in two years. Clancy and Moore also did some good things. The DEs were a disappointment though.

Berry was going against the best LT in the game. I've never been satisfied with Okeafor.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
I wish they would let the OLine play 3 games together and let them gel. Get rid of Stepanovich and play Leckey or try Wells at C. How many bad snaps did Step have today? 3 I remember.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Considering the chaos of players not knowing who they were blocking the entire game ... I'd have my doubts

There just seemed to be a general level of confusion on the line. Its embarassing having to see players figure out who they were blocking with only 2 seconds left on the play clock. That caused more penalties then anything else IMO

This is the dissapointment

The offense was chronically late out of the huddle

They had to hurry to snap

Very poor recongnition

Linemen looked as if they had never seen a blitz before

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Twist18 said:
I wish they would let the OLine play 3 games together and let them gel. Get rid of Stepanovich and play Leckey or try Wells at C. How many bad snaps did Step have today? 3 I remember.

I have to agree on Step. Not only were the bad snaps killers, but he's responsible for calling the blocking at the line.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

Agreed. We really got some good play from the interior of the DL. We had little pass rush from either side from our DE's. Berry is a huge liablity against the run. He really just becomes a spectator most times. Maybe he should bring some popcorn out with him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:

The problem is, there WAS talent very much worth signing in the FA period. A lot of people got on management's case for not using it then. I was one of the fools simply happy to get James. Oh how stupid our front office was to not actually use our cap space when we could. Oh wait...now we can sign LD to a long-term deal :rolleyes:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:

Becauase the Cards had that money available when their were players out there. Just because there are none now, doesn't excuse the fact they could have signed some more players earlier.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly Stout we have had the money even when there were players to be had and we did nothing. We just assume our garbage line is just going to magically get better after the last pathetic season. The line wan the number #1 thing to be addressed and they made a half ass attempt at it and we still have a garbage line. Just unexcusable!

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Even if we had 3 pro-bowl players on that line, if they keep shifting people every week to new positions, we're going to have problems. Doing that kind of stuff means the players at the very least won't have the reps together to know what to do and whom to hit when they get hit with a guy rushing through their gaps, let alone an overload blitz. Its like playing doubles and both players just watching the ball go straight down the middle without swinging their rackets. "I thought you had it."

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
i can't believe they moved Wells over to tackle, when the intention is to move him back to LG once Ross comes back. What did that gain us?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
ChandlerCard said:
i can't believe they moved Wells over to tackle, when the intention is to move him back to LG once Ross comes back. What did that gain us?

Gaping holes for the SeaHags D-Line and LB's to run through that allowed them to intercept our running plays before we got to the LOS and a beat up QB?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd really like to know what's been going on behind the scenes (since the James Dexter/Joe Wolf era) with regard to our offensive line.

Back in the day, the Cardinals played their best football when they were solid upfront on offense - with outstanding tackles ranging from Ernie MacMillan and Bob Reynolds and Roger Finnie to Dan Dierdorf and guards ranging from Ken Gray and Irv Goode and Bob Young to Conrad Dobler. And centers like Tom Banks, Bob DeMarco and Tom Brahaney. The "solid O-line" era lasted 16 years (from 1963 to 1979) and we won as many as we lost throughout this period (with the Coryell era the most productive).

Since then, we've only had 3 winning (& one .500) seasons.

You'd think the Cardinal front office would have figured this out and "gotten religion." Great teams are built from the inside out, starting with the offensive line. Commit to having (and maintaining) a great O-line and - all other things equal - you're likely to be in pretty good shape from year to year.

I really don't think you can nickel and dime what's needed to be done to straighten out a really sorry offensive line. The team has to take the bull by the horns and commit itself to doing whatever it takes to get it straightened out.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall and know what which guys among ownership & on the various staffs have (a) been advocates for offensive line dominance, (b) have rationalized that "things will be OK" and adopted a policy of skating to just get by or (c) decided that there were several other more pressing priorities.

In other words, sometimes things aren't the way they seem, and I'd like to hold the right people accountable.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres what gets me. We have the BIGGEST line inthe NFL , which would lead me to believe we should have a mauling ,bloody your nose type attitude. No fancy traps. No pulling guards. That may come later, but for now I just think we should ask these big ass linemen to get off the ball and move forward.
If you're built to be road graders then don't try to be corvettes.
We need to take advantage of our size and wear our opponents asses out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
Let's bring in Lincoln Kenndy for 10 million :bang: .Maybe that will make soem people happy.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Let's bring in Lincoln Kenndy for 10 million :bang: .Maybe that will make soem people happy.
I do not buy that we needed to spend more during the FA period. I would have liked us to but we can't fix everything in the offseason. I AM NOT READY TO GIVE UP ON EDGE WINNING ALOT OF GAMES FOR US BEHIND THIS LINE. It has only been 2 games. If we are 1 and 5 with no running game to speak of then I will say they should have gotten a top five guard rather than Milford Brown. We did do some things on the OLINE. They need time to jell with Edge. I can see it happening in the next 3 games and James having a monster day. Remember I said it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really don't think you can nickel and dime what's needed to be done to straighten out a really sorry offensive line. The team has to take the bull by the horns and commit itself to doing whatever it takes to get it straightened out.

Mark Gruttadauria's injury that eventually ended his career was a real blow to the team.

It really looked like they had the pieces in place with Shelton(1st),Kendall(FA),Gruts(FA),and Davis(1st). They allowed only 29 sacks in 2001 and in 2002 had one of the best years rushing. So good that Shipp scored 6 rushing TDs!

Mark got hurt against St.Louis and the carousel began again. They had more injuries on the line as the season progressed and ended the season with Shelton,Wragge,Starkey,Dishman and Roundtree as starters.

With Gruts out they started 2003 with Shelton,Spikes,Kendall,Davis and Clement and we all know how that ended.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

It seemed to me our game plan did not include a lot of pressure on the QB. We were dropping a lot of people back. I prefer the occasional all out rush.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05