Joe Johnson out for remainder of playoffs

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Terrible. I have feared injury much more than I've feared any team this year, I just hope we can overcome it. Sucks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man - who ever thoughts JJ would go out on a dunk? I hate to say it - but because he goes up with little power on the dunk, it made him sucseptible to harder foul. T-Mac or Kobe just jams that crap on Stacks face.

man - this sucks. I still think there is an outside shot we can win this series, but we got no chance if we do get past this series to beat SA without JJ.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
well folks, there's a fat lady in my office. and she's singing. sux. now i just have to hope for some entertainment and some fight outta the boys to see what they're made of. i expect nothing more from this team, but i also no longer expect to get outta this round. heal quickly and fully jj.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
well folks, there's a fat lady in my office. and she's singing. sux. now i just have to hope for some entertainment and some fight outta the boys to see what they're made of. i expect nothing more from this team, but i also no longer expect to get outta this round. heal quickly and fully jj.

definitely time for me to temper my own expectations. Now I just want to see what we're really made of. Do we go into a shell? Do we battle hard and make this a series - possibly even win it and get that ALL TOO IMPORTANT first showdown with SA (where we likely get slaughtered) out of our system so we can get over the hump next year?

Man - this just sucks - sucks - sucks - sucks.

Has this been confirmed by anyone but the anti-jinx?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what will REALLY bother me is this - if we do go down - people jumping on the I TOLD YOU SO bandwagon and not acknowledging how huge of a part of our team JJ was.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just my Option we will still win this series and the title still. JJ is a very big part of the team, but J2J and Barbosa will get more minutes. I am worried about Jimmy Jacks D on Stack and Ginoble in Round 2.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
what will REALLY bother me is this - if we do go down - people jumping on the I TOLD YOU SO bandwagon and not acknowledging how huge of a part of our team JJ was.

I hear you, but one of the big "told you so" predictions has been that the Phoenix Suns lack of depth would be their undoing. For the most part the Phoenix Suns have been fortunate this year. There really has not been any serious injuries.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Just my Option we will still win this series and the title still. JJ is a very big part of the team, but J2J and Barbosa will get more minutes. I am worried about Jimmy Jacks D on Stack and Ginoble in Round 2.

SweetD - love the faith - but can I get a little of what you're smoking to put me in the same place?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
SweetD - love the faith - but can I get a little of what you're smoking to put me in the same place?

Sure.... The biggest issue with loosing JJ is on the D end. Barbosa can fill the minutes in a point the JJ would have gotten. Plus Dallas will go with an even smaller line-up with Danells. We could also see more of Hunter & Amare on the floor at the same time, which will give them time to get ready for the Spurs. Amare will be matched up with Dirk and will be able to get to the line and open jumpers more often. IMO the biggest wild card will be how Walter plays if he can step up we could get back on track.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Sure.... The biggest issue with loosing JJ is on the D end. Barbosa can fill the minutes in a point the JJ would have gotten. Plus Dallas will go with an even smaller line-up with Danells. We could also see more of Hunter & Amare on the floor at the same time, which will give them time to get ready for the Spurs. Amare will be matched up with Dirk and will be able to get to the line and open jumpers more often. IMO the biggest wild card will be how Walter plays if he can step up we could get back on track.

I think you underestimate JJ's importance on the offensive end as well though. He's the thrid guy down the stretch who can create his own shot - which was SORELY lacking in last night's game. Marion can't do it - he needs to be set up and I just don't have faith in Barbosa at this point to be able to give Nash enough minutes on the bench - nor is he the three point shooter that JJ is which spreads the floor and allows us to play our game. The guy was money from that one spot and has seemed to make big play after big play in the fourth Q's for us the second half of the season.

And hoping that Walter can step up is asking for A LOT SweetD - if he can - great, but that's really hoping for what I believe is akin to a miracle.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Boy, is this ironic. One of the big reasons not to extend Johnson last summer was to see what he was made of when the pressure is on. Now, I'll admit that he looked very good in his five and a half playoff games, but that's all it was, five and a half games. If the Suns bow out of the postseason now, can we really conclude that he would have made a difference? And if they keep winning, how valuable can he really be?

I'm not trying to trivialize Johnson's injury and I wish him the best. But the negotiations with him this summer will have a much different flavor than they would have otherwise.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And hoping that Walter can step up is asking for A LOT SweetD

I agree. The pressure falls on Jackson now. It's time for him to show why he was the #4 overall pick in the draft a dozen years ago. If he can match Johnson's usual production, Barbosa and McCarty should be adequate as opportunistic scorers in limited bench minutes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Boy, is this ironic. One of the big reasons not to extend Johnson last summer was to see what he was made of when the pressure is on. Now, I'll admit that he looked very good in his five and a half playoff games, but that's all it was, five and a half games. If the Suns bow out of the postseason now, can we really conclude that he would have made a difference? And if they keep winning, how valuable can he really be?

I'm not trying to trivialize Johnson's injury and I wish him the best. But the negotiations with him this summer will have a much different flavor than they would have otherwise.

boy - I really don't think so. The guy has been absolutely money in the playoffs and is really just starting to blossom - even kicking that annoying home versus road game demeanor throughout the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

The only way I would be worried about Joe is if we had to sign him to a contract worth more than 10 per year. The kid's only going to get better, has a great handle, plays good defense and has shown to be clutch for as long as he was actually in the playoffs.

He and Amare are the true future of this team - they are ultimately going to be the ones who lead us to a title - he reminds of Joe Dumars in that quiet, just go about your business way of playing.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
boy - I really don't think so. The guy has been absolutely money in the playoffs and is really just starting to blossom - even kicking that annoying home versus road game demeanor throughout the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

The only way I would be worried about Joe is if we had to sign him to a contract worth more than 10 per year. The kid's only going to get better, has a great handle, plays good defense and has shown to be clutch for as long as he was actually in the playoffs.

He and Amare are the true future of this team - they are ultimately going to be the ones who lead us to a title - he reminds of Joe Dumars in that quiet, just go about your business way of playing.

Yeah I agree, Eventhough the Suns may still beat Dallas without JJ, they won't beat SA without him. JJ has gotten better every year he has played fans may not recognise his total value but GMs most likely do someone will offer him big money if the Suns don't, his injury is not a big deal in the long term perspective. If JJ had a different personality whether it be a punk ass like Iverson or a more embrarceable one, people would probably have a different perspective on his true value.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Better to know this now, than to anxiously hope for JJ's quick return. Now they know the deal, and can start planning for how to react. No rescue's from JJ. It's on the rest of the guys. And D'Antoni can really measure his worth as COY.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has this ACTUALLY been confirmed yet? I know it's been confirmed that he's OUT for Game 3 and 4 - but it's still not on the suns.com - you'd think it would be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time believeing he's done for the playoffs. Guys have come back with face shields after injuries like this and played after a week - regardless though - the severity of the injury definitely sucks, but if this series does go the distance, I'll say this right now - I'll be shocked if he's not back out there and if he isn't, well then, I might start to question a little of his toughness... but he's an iron man - has been for his whole career, that's why I thinkhe'll be be back out there and if he's not - on second thought - maybe it is serious enough to keep him out without me questioning his toughness.

Ugh - this sucks. We would have beaten them last night with him on the floor and we would have won in 5 - damnit.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I thought he would come back with a face shield. This is the same injury Lebron had, but I think the concussion is what makes it worse. I suspected he might sit out this series at least. Hopefully he can come back for the next series, if we make it that far.

fordronken

Reaction score
I really want JJ back, but I think that the majority of the negotiating won't be with the Suns. He's gonna accept another team's offer, and the Suns are going to have to decide what to do with it.

fordronken

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'm having a really hard time believeing he's done for the playoffs. Guys have come back with face shields after injuries like this and played after a week - regardless though - the severity of the injury definitely sucks, but if this series does go the distance, I'll say this right now - I'll be shocked if he's not back out there and if he isn't, well then, I might start to question a little of his toughness... but he's an iron man - has been for his whole career, that's why I thinkhe'll be be back out there and if he's not - on second thought - maybe it is serious enough to keep him out without me questioning his toughness.

Ugh - this sucks. We would have beaten them last night with him on the floor and we would have won in 5 - damnit.

Different injuries are different. It's probably not a pain thing, but a long term health thing.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Dizamn, broken orbital bone sounds painful. This sucks, sucks, sucks. He should have just held on to the rim. Bad timing for this to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake