Josh McCown (my take)

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying that I like McCown. He has all the physical tools to be a good NFL QB. He is tough and seems like a very good person. Like most Cardinal fans, I desperately want him to succeed. I would like nothing more than for McCown to lead us to the playoffs. That would be the best case scenario for all of us.

That said, IMO he never will be the answer for us at QB. He is too inconsistent and his field vision is below average. He makes too many poor decisions for a fourth-year player, like passing when he could run for a first down, throwing into coverage etc. He doesn't see open receivers and when he does, he throws the ball either too high, or too low far too often.

I'm not a "McCown hater", I just don't think he has the football smarts to be a successful starting QB in this league. That is my last word on our QB position for this season.

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
last word huh? dought that. Your take while may have some validity also fails to mention no QB in the NFL would have success with NO running game and and absolutely pathelic Oline. See the problem is we don't really know what McCown can do he had put up career games for the cardinals even with the abysmal oline. That said don't you think he would be a good if not great QB giving a good oline and an effective running game. The problem is our oline period every opposing D knows we can't run the ball and don't even have to worry about getting pressure, we give it to them automatically. It is almost as though we start every game already behind by a couple scores. Josh McCown if not here next year will prosper in the NFL I would just hate to see the cards make a QB change instead of fixing the problem. And most educated football fans know what the problem is "THE FREAKING OLINE", not the QB.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if Warner didn't start next week. DG does not have the patients to stick with josh after two bad games in a row.

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I forgot I for one am upset with the outcome of the game. Josh did not I repeat did not lose this game for us. He played one of the most couragous games I have ever seen a Cardinals QB play. He took shot after shot and got up and continued to try and help the team win. With the pathetic display our oline and running game put up today I think he did well.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
last word huh? dought that.
BIM: "Doubt"
And most educated football fans know what the problem is "THE FREAKING OLINE", not the QB.
The problem is both the oline and the QB. It doesn't have to be one or the other--just like we don't only have to address one or the other in next year's offseason. Most educated football fans know that. Surprised you didn't.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Here's my take.

Josh goes to a good team needing a QB and suprises all of us.

He's not that bad, the team is bad.

But when Duante is throwing pick number 4 in a game like this you can tell us how he's not football smart too.

This team got scredded.

Warner may start soon, hope he does. I'm tired of people picking apart the QB position and hiding behind that.

Our coaching and our schemes suck so let someone else take the blame for the rest of the season.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Snakester said:
I would be very surprised if Warner didn't start next week. DG does not have the patients to stick with josh after two bad games in a row.
Warner would have been knocked to IR in this game...

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
conrad I too since the season is already over would not mind seeing Warner in the next game or two so when he sucks and the team gets blown out, people will see Josh was not to blame and is not the problem of the team not winning. You don't see any of the offense speaking out and wanting warner back there?

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
conrad I too since the season is already over would not mind seeing Warner in the next game or two so when he sucks and the team gets blown out, people will see Josh was not to blame and is not the problem of the team not winning. You don't see any of the offense speaking out and wanting warner back there?

You really think Green would allow something like that? If it was Warner in their the other players wouldn't publicly be calling for McCown either.

coyotesareback

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whatever you guys are really pathetic if you think McCown is the reason the teams has lost. The team did nothing but lose with warner, while you blindly single out McCown as the problem of this team. I hope they do give up on McCown so he can go somewhere and be successful. Then you will all be mad that the team gave up on him, and will serve us and Denny right. Like I said go ahead and put warner in it will prove nothing he is gonna get lit up behind our line. If any of you really beleive Josh is why we are losing you are seriously dilusional.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
Whatever you guys are really pathetic if you think McCown is the reason the teams has lost. The team did nothing but lose with warner, while you blindly single out McCown as the problem of this team. I hope they do give up on McCown so he can go somewhere and be successful. Then you will all be mad that the team gave up on him, and will serve us and Denny right. Like I said go ahead and put warner in it will prove nothing he is gonna get lit up behind our line. If any of you really beleive Josh is why we are losing you are seriously dilusional.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the OL is terrible and needs fixing. It's just that some also think that our QB position needs upgrading. I have yet to see someone say that McCown is the one and only reason that we're losing.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:

Most people haven't said he's the 'only' reason but he IS part of it. He was not good today and neither was the rest of the team. The O-line sucked, Josh sucked, Arrington sucked, the D sucked, caoching sucked...hell, the ball boy sucked!. You might wanna talk to somebody about this creepy 'man-love' thing you have going for Josh cuz the last post almost sounded like you were gonna cry....lol

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Assface said:
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the OL is terrible and needs fixing. It's just that some also think that our QB position needs upgrading. I have yet to see someone say that McCown is the one and only reason that we're losing.

:iwa: thats what I was trying to say

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Renz said:
Let me start out by saying that I like McCown. He has all the physical tools to be a good NFL QB. He is tough and seems like a very good person. Like most Cardinal fans, I desperately want him to succeed. I would like nothing more than for McCown to lead us to the playoffs. That would be the best case scenario for all of us.

That said, IMO he never will be the answer for us at QB. He is too inconsistent and his field vision is below average. He makes too many poor decisions for a fourth-year player, like passing when he could run for a first down, throwing into coverage etc. He doesn't see open receivers and when he does, he throws the ball either too high, or too low far too often.

I'm not a "McCown hater", I just don't think he has the football smarts to be a successful starting QB in this league. That is my last word on our QB position for this season.

Do you know whats deeply troubling? That sounds a lot like what I posted about plummer four years ago.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Do you know whats deeply troubling? That sounds a lot like what I posted about plummer four years ago.
Way different. Jake possessed a questionable work ethic while he was here while Josh has always tried hard. Not to mention Jake had a track record of success on other levels.

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
I still think we were right to not re-sign Plummer, for the reasons Mao stated. We would be no better off with Plummer IMO, considering he threw 20 INT's last season and still hasn't won a playoff game in Denver.

Maybe he will take the next step this season and finally get deep into the playoffs, but it will be in his 9th year in the league.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Way different. Jake possessed a questionable work ethic while he was here while Josh has always tried hard. Not to mention Jake had a track record of success on other levels.

A little different, but not way different. Nobody every questioned how hard Jake played on Sun.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coyotesareback said:
I thought I directly addressed this in my last reply to you.

Bad oline. Not a good QB. Add 'em together and you have an inept offense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

Yep, waiting for Jake was tough because that was a guy who essentially started 4 years in a pro style offense in a pass happy conference, he was expected to be ready to play earlier. josh bounced in and out of the lineup in multiple offenses, it stood to reason he was less polished and would take longer.

that said, my opinion on Josh is the same, he has the physical abilities but not the right mental makeup for a QB, and no I'm not saying he's dumb. he lacks something, vision to see the field, poise to calm himself down(why he overthrows guys so often), and he lacks decision making ability. He has the arm, has the body, has guts, but unless he's throwing to wide open players all day the things he lack become too important and ultimately stop him from succeeding.

This OL sucks, so Josh can't sit back there and pick which WR to throw to, and then his shortcomings become apparent. I think saying there's no sense getting a QB when the OL stinks misses the point that if you CAN get a better QB, he'll do more with the same crappy line, and a lot more with a better line you hopefully build as well.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
McCown proved today what he'll always be. A bad QB that can maybe be a decent backup. He completed a pass that should have been intercepted but turned into a great play because the guy just happened to be there. That hit in the first quarter was typical McCown. Stare down the pass rush running RIGHT AT YOU, do nothing about it, wait too long, and then throw while you're getting CREAMED. Vintage McCown. Just happened to complete the pass. Then he constantly overthrows and underthrows receivers, misses open receivers, knocks us out of FG range by taking another stupid sack, and just overall sucks. Even his TD pass was a great adjustment by Boldin. Ugh. Glad he won't be back, and I laugh hard every time someone says he'll be a good starter somewhere else.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stout said:
McCown proved today what he'll always be. A bad QB that can maybe be a decent backup. He completed a pass that should have been intercepted but turned into a great play because the guy just happened to be there. That hit in the first quarter was typical McCown. Stare down the pass rush running RIGHT AT YOU, do nothing about it, wait too long, and then throw while you're getting CREAMED. Vintage McCown. Just happened to complete the pass. Then he constantly overthrows and underthrows receivers, misses open receivers, knocks us out of FG range by taking another stupid sack, and just overall sucks. Even his TD pass was a great adjustment by Boldin. Ugh. Glad he won't be back, and I laugh hard every time someone says he'll be a good starter somewhere else.

We've heard it all before.

Just substitute Plummer for McCown.

With our O-line we're simply not in position to fairly evaluate either our QB or our running backs.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Stout said:
McCown proved today what he'll always be. A bad QB that can maybe be a decent backup. He completed a pass that should have been intercepted but turned into a great play because the guy just happened to be there. That hit in the first quarter was typical McCown. Stare down the pass rush running RIGHT AT YOU, do nothing about it, wait too long, and then throw while you're getting CREAMED. Vintage McCown. Just happened to complete the pass. Then he constantly overthrows and underthrows receivers, misses open receivers, knocks us out of FG range by taking another stupid sack, and just overall sucks. Even his TD pass was a great adjustmetnt by Boldin. Ugh. Glad he won't be back, and I laugh hard every time someone says he'll be a good starter somewhere else.

again eerily similar to what we used to say about Jake.

And I'm not saying the situation is exactly the same. for example, Josh never led us to the playoffs like Jake did.

Jake showed enough that a good team like the donkeys wanted to give him the opportunity of a lifetime.

Josh will probably end up going to a team a little more desperate (e.g. buffalo).

With that said, I think plummer is a better QB than McCown. More accurate and better vision. And, I don't think McCown will ever be a successful as Plummer.

Warner is a stop gap. To me, we either draft a QB or go after rivers or c-pep or somebody.

gee whiz, are we ever going to get right?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yep, waiting for Jake was tough because that was a guy who essentially started 4 years in a pro style offense in a pass happy conference, he was expected to be ready to play earlier. josh bounced in and out of the lineup in multiple offenses, it stood to reason he was less polished and would take longer.

that said, my opinion on Josh is the same, he has the physical abilities but not the right mental makeup for a QB, and no I'm not saying he's dumb. he lacks something, vision to see the field, poise to calm himself down(why he overthrows guys so often), and he lacks decision making ability. He has the arm, has the body, has guts, but unless he's throwing to wide open players all day the things he lack become too important and ultimately stop him from succeeding.
This OL sucks, so Josh can't sit back there and pick which WR to throw to, and then his shortcomings become apparent. I think saying there's no sense getting a QB when the OL stinks misses the point that if you CAN get a better QB, he'll do more with the same crappy line, and a lot more with a better line you hopefully build as well.

Evidently you're not watching what Jake is doing to Eagles right now.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
We've heard it all before.

Just substitute Plummer for McCown.

With our O-line we're simply not in position to fairly evaluate either our QB or our running backs.

not exactly. I've seen enough of Shipp. lots of heart, no speed. the guy is running in mud. not saying jj is better, just saying that we can a get a "bruiser" with more speed than marcell.