Just a thought on Emmitt..

brandon

Rookie
Reaction score
I have seen on this board and others that some people say that Emmitt would have been better with a better offensive line, therefore meaning since we have a better line, he will do better. Well this is true TO A SMALL EXTENT. However the people that say he will do better with us just because our line is better are wrong. Dallas' rush average last year was 4.1 yrds/carry. The Cards' was 4.2 yrds/carry. In order for the offensive line argument to be accurate, these two averages should differ more than just .1 yard. Our multiple running backs last year, far less experienced than Emmitt, managed to get an average/yrd/per/carry of .1 less than Emmitt, the owner of the all-time rushing yrds record. The line of the Cowboys was worse than ours, but not THAT worse,and that's no excuse for the greatest running back to play the game. Emmitt is falling, and I believe that we will feel as some say that he "took us for a paycheck," because he is not that great anymore. Shipp is our future.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
You could also say that our line was sooo good that it made our make shift RB's produce as much as a good RB behind a bad line...

Although I thing Shipp might end up being pretty good. There is nothing wrong in having Emmitt back there also!

We know there will be some injuries, were are solid at RB now, more than I can ever remember

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Renz: Emmitt got his numbers last year with Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson under center....'Nuff said.

Good point, but not "Nuff."

A lot of Emmitt has or hasn't done in the past has to do with timing, play calling and fitting into the system.

We won't know how that all works out til we see him in action during preseason and early regular season. Quite possibly Shipp might turn out to be the better fit. Or maybe the opposite.

We're all guessing in advance of seeing.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Renz: Emmitt got his numbers last year with Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson under center....'Nuff said.

Good point, but not "Nuff."

Yeah. I just like saying "nuff".

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
DAL did have a vastly inferior O-line than AZ. I heard one commentator state during a game during last season that DAL may have the worst O-line in the league. Even if that statement was not entirely accurate, where there's smoke there's fire. All I'm saying is that there may be some substance to that statement even if it is not entirely accurate. The combinations of Freddy Jones, James Hodgins and our O-line should be able to get Emmitt around 4.6 per carry and about 1200 yards....

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
aLSO YOU GOTTA TAKE INTO EFFECT HOW MANY TIMES DID WE ACTUALLY HAVE THE COMPLETE OFFENSIVE LINE ON THE FIELD. MOST OF THE TIME SOMEONE WAS INJURED. NOW WE HAVE MORE DEPTH I THINK TO COUNTER INJURIES. SO WE WILL SEE.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
Emmitt got his numbers last year with Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson under center.

'Nuff said.

Marcell Shipp got his numbers last year with Jake Plummer under center dohhhhh NUFF SAID! :eek:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm pleased to see Blake here and not Jake, even Jake was way bette that either of the QBs Dallas had last year.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by wierwolf
aLSO YOU GOTTA TAKE INTO EFFECT HOW MANY TIMES DID WE ACTUALLY HAVE THE COMPLETE OFFENSIVE LINE ON THE FIELD. MOST OF THE TIME SOMEONE WAS INJURED. NOW WE HAVE MORE DEPTH I THINK TO COUNTER INJURIES. SO WE WILL SEE.
Good post wierwolf
Our offensive line was totally decimated by injuries last year.
Clement went down in pre-season....our regular starting O-line DID NOT PLAY A SINGLE REGULAR SEASON GAME AS A UNIT!!!!!
enuff said :cool:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
Even though I'm pleased to see Blake here and not Jake, even Jake was way bette that either of the QBs Dallas had last year.

Are you 100% certain about that?????

Jake Plummer

Att:530 Comp:284 Yds:2972 TDs:18 INTs:20 Yds Per att: 5.6

Quincy and Chad combined

Att:471 Comp:252 Yds:3025 TDs:14 INT:16 Yds per att: 6.4

Nidan if you look at those numbers they really arent all that different and in fact you could say thay maybe the rooks on the cowboys played better than Jake based purely on stats. Which really is kind of pathetic in Jakes case. They had more yards with 32 less attempts. They had a much better Yards per attemot average. They made less mistakes overall with only 16 Ints.

So to say Jake was better is just looking through some very glossy glasses!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brandon
I have seen on this board and others that some people say that Emmitt would have been better with a better offensive line, therefore meaning since we have a better line, he will do better. Well this is true TO A SMALL EXTENT. However the people that say he will do better with us just because our line is better are wrong. Dallas' rush average last year was 4.1 yrds/carry. The Cards' was 4.2 yrds/carry. In order for the offensive line argument to be accurate, these two averages should differ more than just .1 yard. Our multiple running backs last year, far less experienced than Emmitt, managed to get an average/yrd/per/carry of .1 less than Emmitt, the owner of the all-time rushing yrds record. The line of the Cowboys was worse than ours, but not THAT worse,and that's no excuse for the greatest running back to play the game. Emmitt is falling, and I believe that we will feel as some say that he "took us for a paycheck," because he is not that great anymore. Shipp is our future.
<p>brandon---this is like comparing apples and oranges. Not only do you have to consider what the offensive line was like, you also have to consider the passing game, (was the opposing team able to stack 8 men on the line because they didn't have to worry about the pass) FB, (a capable blocking back or one who misses blocks, is he a threat to also carry the ball or catch short passes over the middle) TE, (good blocker, good relief valve, used to his full capacity) QB, (able to burn a defense with the long bomb if they suck up to close to the line) and most important of all, the skill level of the RB. A great offensive line will make any RB look OK if the other parts of the offense are also clicking. In these same circumstances, they will help a great RB look great.