Kevin Willis???

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
The Spurs are looking for a point guard, I don't even know if it's possible, but would you or could trade Brevin Knight for Kevin Willis?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not sure but he would be a one year fix, but would only be able to play 10-15mins a game. May also slow us down. ???

OP
OP
Y

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
I was reading this morning the Spurs were looking for a point guard. I know they have money under the cap, Willis would provide the Suns with some muscle. When Zarko got yanked out of rebounding position the other night, it lead me to two thoughts, First you should never allow yourself to get yanked out like that, or if you cant help it then flop. I don’t think Willis would have been yanked out.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I have always liked Willis he is a big dude and his size alone would help, but I don't know what his contract is. I am pretty sure he only signed a one-year deal this year to try to get a ring again not sure if he would want to play some were else.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
The Spurs looking for a point guard? Didn't they just draft and then trade one to the Suns? Sounds like the Suns trading away Big Jake and then going out looking for a center.

Oh wait, it's not that silly. :rolleyes:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by JJ Slim
The Spurs looking for a point guard? Didn't they just draft and then trade one to the Suns? Sounds like the Suns trading away Big Jake and then going out looking for a center.

Sounds like the NBA :biglaugh:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by JJ Slim

You forgot the word "serviceable" between the words "a" and "center"

OP
OP
Y

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
Why do we need a young guy to add depth to our frontcourt, especially if we are not trading away any of our young core?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
Boo. No Kevin Willis. The guys too old.

He would keep Googs off the court and that's good enough for me.

OP
OP
Y

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
The Spurs looking for a point guard?

here is the quote from Popovich:

``We didn't have any point guards after that. We'll have to bring somebody in to make sure we have somebody there when our next game comes. We can't depend on Carter's knee right now.''

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by hcsilla
Spurs can sign Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland or Robert Pack.

BTW, SAS does not have a cap room anymore.

So they would have to do a trade not sign a free agent from above...

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by yotes1921
Why do we need a young guy to add depth to our frontcourt, especially if we are not trading away any of our young core?

We don't. I guess it doesnt matter, but my pref is for Knight to hit the road and for us to save the most money possible for future positioning than making a move to try and add some wins this year. I dont think WIllis ='s more wins, thats all. I dont know his contract, so I dont know that angle.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I simply don't want Willis after that vicious elbow he threw at Scott Williams in the playoffs last season. Maybe the replay made it look worse than it actually was but you could see that it was completely pre-meditated and not incidental.

Thumbs down on that trade for me.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
He would keep Googs off the court and that's good enough for me.

Great point. I agree!

or I guess I should say my mandatory line:
Excellent post! :thumbup:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even at his age Kevin Willis would be one of the better centers the Phoenix Suns have had in a long, long time. He is in fantastic shape and could easily play 20-25 minutes per game.

That said, I don't think San Antonio would trade him. He is actually a small, but important piece to their success.

Joe Mama

Errntknght

Reaction score
If the team was looking like a contender Willis might be a good gamble but the Suns have to develope the team game on offense before it gets to that level. For that Willis is not a good fit - to begin with he likes to occupy the same spot on the floor that Amare does, to work his little jump hook. That means he would fit as a backup for Amare but it seems likely that we'll want Zarko getting good minutes filling in at PF. From this point of view Scott Williams is a better fit since his offense comes on mid range jumpers.

I'm still happy with the team like it is now - FJ has to play Jake heavy minutes and that's really the most important thing for the team right now. If Jake shows he really can't handle the starting role that's still a lot better than not knowing whether he can or not. I'm certainly encouraged after one game that he can contribute what this team needs at center. True we do need reinforcements but not now - with someone like Battie Frank could easily dork around the whole season and not establish any basis to go forward on. Maybe near the trading deadline the situation would be clear and then a new body would be a good thing. Heck, with no change for a while, maybe Frank and the other coaches would work their heads off to bring Trybanski along though I suppose he goes to the IL when Scotty comes back. Casey would be a better choice to develope a debilitating hangnail but you know Frank...

As far as a trade goes with the Spurs one possibililty is trading Knight for the first round pick we owe them from Barbosa... I guess from what people are saying they'd have to clear cap space to do that but it would be a good money move for the Suns.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not sure I would be willing to give Knight up for our future #1. That #1 is protected and could be given to the Spurs when we win the Championship. I would rather make one of our competitors wait until the pick is worthless. Knight is a servicable back-up sure I would rather have Barbosa, but I don't think he is ready for a #2 possition, I would like to see Barbosa playing some SG also.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
So they would have to do a trade not sign a free agent from above...

The above listed players are vet min. FA's.
You can sign as much vet min. FA's as you can even if you are over the cap.

BUt if you are over the cap then you can't take a player with 5 mil. salary (Knight) for a player (Willis) with 1 mil. salary (the vet min.).

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Not sure I would be willing to give Knight up for our future #1.

Don't worry!
Nobody will give a future 1st rounder (even a top 20 protected one) for Knight.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I've read that the Suns will have to give a first rounder to get someone to take Knight.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devilalum
I've read that the Suns will have to give a first rounder to get someone to take Knight.

Where did you read that? It really depends on who the Phoenix Suns are trying to acquire. A good, backup point guard with a $5 million expiring contract should be quite valuable, especially if the team that is going to get him is not in danger of paying the luxury tax THIS season.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
Where did you read that? It really depends on who the Phoenix Suns are trying to acquire. A good, backup point guard with a $5 million expiring contract should be quite valuable, especially if the team that is going to get him is not in danger of paying the luxury tax THIS season.

Joe Mama

I'm pretty sure I read it on Insider. Dumping Knight will save the Suns about 10 mil. unless they trade him for another 5 mil. player.

There was some discussion about the Suns trading him to Utah with a #1 for a second rounder just to save money.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The biggest players who is available right now is not playing on any team. He plays bigger than his 7'4" frame and he is a sure Hall of Famer once he gets back on an NBA team. I am talking none other than Keith Closs. This man can block anything in NBA Live '99 and led the league in blocks, points and rebounds when he got the playing time. I couldn't keep this guy from clowning up Shaq and pre-Kidney trouble Mourning.

He is so rad that if you saw him walking down the street, you would cross and walk the other way. He is 100% pure intimidation and desire. He owns the paint, nobody goes into his house unless he invites them.

This would be a dream come true for ANY Suns fan, just to get this guy in uniform would sell out AWA every night and get the fans back into the groove. Bank on it!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake