Killing Time Before Training Camp: Preseason Power Rankings!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1. New England Patriots - Love 'em or hate 'em, they have a Top 3 QB, Top 10 WR, and a defense that just finds ways to get the job done. The Colts won the Super Bowl, but the Pats are again the team to beat.

2. San Diego Chargers - They have the talent to overcome Norv Turner the same way they overcame Marty Schottenheimer. May be the 2007 version of the 2005 Steelers; they just need to overcome some adversity.

3. Indianapolis Colts - Yes, they lost a lot of players this offseason, and yes, Tarik Glenn's retirement is an unexpected blow. But they still have Manning, Harrison, and Freeney, and as long as they have those guys, they're going to be competitive.

4. Denver Broncos - Travis Henry is that good--he could rush for 1800 yards in the Broncos' scheme. If the Front 7 can make plays and someone can step up opposite Javon Walker, the Broncos are going to surpass some expectations.

5. Baltimore Ravens - Willis McGahee has the ability to gain 2000 yards in a single season, and their defense is going to continue to be dominant. Can Steve McNair become more consistent? Because the Ravens will go only as far as he can take them?

6. Chicago Bears - A weak division and improved passing game will help make up for the loss of Thomas Jones. Defense remains the class of the NFC.

7. Seattle Seahawks - A healthy Alexander and Hasselback may mean homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. A defense will be aided with fewer cripping injuries.

8. Cincinnati Bengals - Palmer's going to be all the way back. Can the defense be merely average?

9. New Orleans Saints - They'll have a tough row to hoe, but this team should win the division and will only go as far as their defense can take them.

10. Dallas Cowboys - The most unexamined question of the preseason is what we can expect from Tony Romo. The defense should be very good.

11. Carolina Panthers - Jake Delhomme performs best under pressure and overcoming low expectations. He'll have both this season with David Carr in his rear-view mirror. Look for a breakout season from Thomas Davis.

12. Jacksonville Jaguars - Can Byron Leftwich get anything out of his trio of first-round pass-catchers? That's the only thing holding back this very talented franchise.

13. Philadelphia Eagles - Still a classy organization with a lot of talent. This is a team that could legitimately surprise people this season. No one's talking about them.

14. Minnesota Vikings - Needs to improve the pass rush, but I think people are sleeping on Tavarius Jackson and a passing game that will have windows due to a solid running game.

15. Kansas City Chiefs - A playoff team from 2006 is another year older. The problem is that Herm Edwards never wants to rebuild.

16. New York Jets - Don't get the schedule breaks that they did last season; they face the NFC East and AFC North, along with improved teams inside their division.

17. New York Giants - A chemistry experiment gone horribly awry, but if they can avoid injuries they'll compete for a playoff spot.

18. San Francisco 49ers - Every season you have to be concerned with Frank Gore's knees, because their holding the entire weight of the franchise. Everyone's assuming that the defense will improve with the addition of a top-shelf cornerback, but I'll believe it when I see it.

19. Detroit Lions - This team will have to make a quantum leap on both offense and defense for this team to be competitive in the win-loss column, but they're going to be in every game. The last season of real frustration in Detroit.

20. Houston Texans - Gary Kubiak has to figure out his defense, but the offense has some solid potential.

21. Washington Redskins - Have the talent to be better than this, but I have serious reservations about a coaching staff that seems to have too many chiefs and not enough indians.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers - A talented group that is in a transition year while new coach Mike Tomlin finds out what he has and what he still needs.

23. St. Louis Rams - Absolutely love the offense and its potential, but that defense is cover-your-eyes awful and there's no way to hide it. Mike Tomlin and his quarterback don't have the patience to make every drive 8 minutes long, and they don't have the personnel for it, either.

24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jon Gruden is on the hot seat, which is not a place where he's comfortable. Will look good in Washington next year.

25. Green Bay Packers - The players on this team in their late-20s have to wonder when the Brett Favre farewell tour will end so that they can be competitive again.

26. Arizona Cardinals - A talented team with too many variables to predict success.

27. Tennessee Titans - Are set at Quarterback, but this team seemed more interested in taking itself apart than building around that setpiece this offseason.

28. Buffalo Bills - Needed the defense to carry the load while they break in a running back and settled their offensive line. Unfortunately, all their good defensive players left.

29. Miami Dolphins - Cam Cameron may be successful in Miami, but he's going to need to give his GM time to work out this roster in transition.

30. Oakland Raiders - The team will be good--in three years. For now, it'll be interesting to see their new HC and the development of their QB.

31. Cleveland Browns - Will sneak up and surprise some teams. The pieces are there for an explosive offense, but it will take time to come together.

32. Atlanta Falcons - This team is going to be a disaster. With the distraction of Vick, losing a defensive leader in Kearney, injuries to important playmakers in the defensive front seven, this team could very likely not win a game until December.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work K9. I agree about Travis Henry. That guy is a beast and was my #1 choice to come here when there were rumbling we may trade for him. He is very talented.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, I can feel football really starting to pulse through my blood again. we're almost to the point of the season REALLY starting... the annual Cardinal #1 pick holdout and the ensuing board battle to come. THAT'S when the you know football's REALLY close! Men, get to your battle-stations!

good write up K9, although I think you give Minny a little too much props. I expect them to be pretty bad.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, I can feel football really starting to pulse through my blood again. we're almost to the point of the season REALLY starting... the annual Cardinal #1 pick holdout and the ensuing board battle to come. THAT'S when the you know football's REALLY close! Men, get to your battle-stations!

good write up K9, although I think you give Minny a little too much props. I expect them to be pretty bad.

Cheese you crack me up man. That was great! But your absolutely right the battle is coming. UNFORUNATELY!

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
very nice and good placement. better by far than most i've seen from pro journalists.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Something is not right if Cardinals are not in the top ten for off-season or pre-season rankings...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
32. Atlanta Falcons - This team is going to be a disaster. With the distraction of Vick, losing a defensive leader in Kearney, injuries to important playmakers in the defensive front seven, this team could very likely not win a game until December.

lol. Cards play them in December.

spanky1

Reaction score
k9,

It's tough to do a pre-season ranking, but I applaud the effort. I know we disagree from time to time but for what its worth, I think you have the SeaHawks a tad too high, and Minnesota and Detroit way too high.

And I'd put us ahead of Tampa Bay and Green Bay.

SightsSoundsBach13

Registered
Reaction score
1. New England
2. Arizona
3. Philadelphia
4. Indianapolis
5. Denver
6. Dallas
7. San Diego
8. Pittsburgh
9. Seattle
10. New Orleans
11. Tennessee
12. New York Jets
13. Detroit
14. Chicago
15. Carolina
16. Cincinatti
17. St. Louis
18. Jacksonville
19. Baltimore
20. Tampa Bay
21. Atlanta
22. New York Giants
23. Kansas City
24. Houston
25. San Francisco
26. Miami
27. Green Bay
28. Minnesota
29. Buffalo
30. Oakland
31. Cleveland
32. Washington

Washington, Houston and Carolina will progress during the season and I think Kansas City, Atlanta, San Francisco and maybe the New York Jets will regress. The scale is where teams are at right now.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
k9,

It's tough to do a pre-season ranking, but I applaud the effort. I know we disagree from time to time but for what its worth, I think you have the SeaHawks a tad too high, and Minnesota and Detroit way too high.

And I'd put us ahead of Tampa Bay and Green Bay.

Green Bay beat us last season. I think Tampa will beat us this year. They're still somewhat good. If their O-line can continue to improve, Cadillac will be ready.

Minnesota's my sleeper team. 8th in total defense last year, despite being dead last in passing defense and in the bottom 10 in sacks. They're getting back Erasmus James and Chad Greenway.

The offense is a question, but I think that they'll get back on track, especially as Bryant McKinnie and Steve Hutchinson continue to gel. Minnesota's going to surprise people this season. Remember that Childress was a guy who conviced teams in the NFL that A.J. Feeley was worth something.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
good, but why does everybody think that detroit will be good? THEY ARE HORRIBLE.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Green Bay beat us last season. I think Tampa will beat us this year. They're still somewhat good. If their O-line can continue to improve, Cadillac will be ready.

Minnesota's my sleeper team. 8th in total defense last year, despite being dead last in passing defense and in the bottom 10 in sacks. They're getting back Erasmus James and Chad Greenway.

The offense is a question, but I think that they'll get back on track, especially as Bryant McKinnie and Steve Hutchinson continue to gel. Minnesota's going to surprise people this season. Remember that Childress was a guy who conviced teams in the NFL that A.J. Feeley was worth something.

Nice read, but Minnesota? I dont think they win more than 5 games. And Jackson is terrible. I dont even believe they think he will be any good. Why else have they said the QB job is wide open? He has to compete with Brooks Bollinger? WOW!

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
im not even sure about that many points... kevin jones had ankle problems all last year, and does anybody honestly have that much faith in KITNA?!?!?! i mean i know he guaranteed 10 plus wins or whatever..but im sorry. NO. having a good i mean great wide reciever in calvin johnson doesnt make you a great qb. just take a look at aaron brooks/randy moss.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The DET line is going to have to improve out of sight for them to score that many points a game. Football outsiders ranked them nearly last in both run and pass blocking.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
haven't the lions shown that highly drafted wr's don't do well in detroit?ex. mike williams im not saying calvin won't do well, but he's not a a reason to put the lions in the top 15 or top 25 for that matter.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
K-9; very impressive. I could not begin to claim a broad enough knowledge to even try and power-rank the NFL, but I have to offer two suggestions:

1. The Cardinals need to be rated higher.:koolaid:

2. The Cowpies need to be rated much lower. :serious:

;)

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
im not even sure about that many points... kevin jones had ankle problems all last year, and does anybody honestly have that much faith in KITNA?!?!?! i mean i know he guaranteed 10 plus wins or whatever..but im sorry. NO. having a good i mean great wide reciever in calvin johnson doesnt make you a great qb. just take a look at aaron brooks/randy moss.

I dunno. I am not a big Kitan fan, but did you see what he threw for last year? 4200 yards? wow.

I think Calvin Johnson is going to be great, roy williams is also very very good, and Mike Furrey isnt a bad WR either. Martz will throw the ball all over the place...If Jones can stay healthy they have a shot to put up some serious points.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
im not saying they wont score, im just saying they wont win. ill be the one saying i told you so to everyone when the lions go 3-13

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have Detroit at 19. I'm really expecting their defense to be improved. It takes a couple years for that Cover-2 to take hold, and they have some talent in their front 7.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you're overrating KC. Shielfds and Roaf are gone... So LJ will not have as productive a season as he has had in the past. They'll probably have Brodie Croyle as their starting QB, so that's another question mark. Their defense got even older.. I'd rank them below the Cards actually.

The Giants are also a huge mess, you overranked them.

I'd put the Cards 22-25. We're not that bad.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good post.

I think that 12 of your top 17 were in the playoffs last year. So much for parity.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan