Kings @ Suns Game Thread 12-17-12

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're on a nice little run here, back in front by one. Brown is hot and our defense is much more active. We'll see if we can stay like this with the Kings second unit. It was that group that gave us so much trouble in the first half, getting them out to a 19 point lead.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was an amazing 360 basket by Dragic.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morris has been absent tonight thus far.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cant believe we've won 9 games. These are some rough lineups we have to use.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dudley has been icing the game for the Suns. When he gets time to set-up for a 3 point shot he can hit it.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dudley has been icing the game for the Suns. When he gets time to set-up for a 3 point shot he can hit it.

After a really rough start Dudley has been playing lights out. He was shooting 57% with 52% from 3 for the month of December entering tonight's game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scola had a nice second half, fortunately Beasley didn't get much time after the first half.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a really rough start Dudley has been playing lights out. He was shooting 57% with 52% from 3 for the month of December entering tonight's game.

Dudley is starting to look like the Dudley of old. When the Suns make the extra pass they play well. I have to give major credit to Shannon Brown tonight as he seemed to get the Suns on fire.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its really amazing that the difference a 20 point scorer has made for us...the last 3 games (all wins) Dudley has been our go to scorer and its paying evidents.

Its obvious Dudley is not going to keep this up for very long. Hopefully he'll keep it up long enough til we perhaps do a trade to land a potential go to scorer (Gerald Henderson preferably)

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Yep, it's really astonishing to me that there are actually fans calling for Gentry to be fired.

It's the easiest thing to point to when losing frequently. The reason people think he's an awful coach (timeouts and substitutions) just happen to be things he really is mediocre at. I do think he's a good coach, and have never once suggested he be fired. I actually hope they give him a new contract next year and see what he can do with a high draft pick and a decent FA signing like Iggy or Kevin Martin.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's the easiest thing to point to when losing frequently. The reason people think he's an awful coach (timeouts and substitutions) just happen to be things he really is mediocre at. I do think he's a good coach, and have never once suggested he be fired. I actually hope they give him a new contract next year and see what he can do with a high draft pick and a decent FA signing like Iggy or Kevin Martin.

I happen to think he's quite good with timeouts and particularly his rotations. He's done a good job of developing bench production every year he's been HC even when left little talent and players lacking versatility. I really like how flexible he can be to allow guys that are playing well on a given night get extended minutes.

I know it's unlikely, but I also hope the Suns don't commit any big money to next years FA. I'd rather keep the capspace open and acquire assets to be in better position to net a star player.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Coaches can't win with substitution patterns. If they follow the clock the same way every game, fans complain that they don't allow a group that's working well together to say on the floor. If they respond to the particular dynamics of each individual game, fans complain that the players can't be consistent when their minutes keep fluctuating. If they employ a hybrid strategy, fans blame losses on poor substitution decisions.

Gentry's substitutions are fine. Once in a while it's possible to identify a mistake in hindsight, but that's because his players aren't very good and he has no way of predicting when someone is going to provide productive minutes and when they aren't.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I actually hope they give him a new contract next year and see what he can do with a high draft pick and a decent FA signing like Iggy or Kevin Martin.
Denver gave up Afflalo to acquire Igoudala. I think it will be difficult to pry him away from the Nuggets.

OKC traded for K-Mart because they felt like they can afford him, I doubt K-Mart goes elsewhere. Plus Martin has been on some pretty bad teams throughout his career, he must enjoy playing on a title contender.

After trading Harden for him, I can only imagine the backlash OKC would get if they didn't resign Martin.
I happen to think he's quite good with timeouts and particularly his rotations. He's done a good job of developing bench production every year he's been HC even when left little talent and players lacking versatility. I really like how flexible he can be to allow guys that are playing well on a given night get extended minutes.

I know it's unlikely, but I also hope the Suns don't commit any big money to next years FA. I'd rather keep the capspace open and acquire assets to be in better position to net a star player.

:yeahthat:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its really amazing that the difference a 20 point scorer has made for us...the last 3 games (all wins) Dudley has been our go to scorer and its paying evidents.

Its obvious Dudley is not going to keep this up for very long. Hopefully he'll keep it up long enough til we perhaps do a trade to land a potential go to scorer (Gerald Henderson preferably)

Gerald Henderson? A go to scorer? LOL! You are a riot.

And totally ignoring Henderson's laughable status as a "go-to guy"... he is going to be a free agent this summer, hardly the move for a lotto bound team to make.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coaches can't win with substitution patterns. If they follow the clock the same way every game, fans complain that they don't allow a group that's working well together to say on the floor. If they respond to the particular dynamics of each individual game, fans complain that the players can't be consistent when their minutes keep fluctuating. If they employ a hybrid strategy, fans blame losses on poor substitution decisions.

:), true.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Denver gave up Afflalo to acquire Igoudala. I think it will be difficult to pry him away from the Nuggets.

I'm not sure that it will be that difficult. Money talks. Besides Iggy didn't flourish in Nuggets high pace system as many people thought he will.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gerald Henderson? A go to scorer? LOL! You are a riot.

And totally ignoring Henderson's laughable status as a "go-to guy"... he is going to be a free agent this summer, hardly the move for a lotto bound team to make.

"Potential go to scorer"

Learn to read.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Potential go to scorer"

Learn to read.

lol, I read it fine. The guy is the 3rd leading scorer on an awful Bobcat team. And he is going to be a free agent!

To claim Gerald Henderson is a "potential" go-to scorer is seriously... hilarious.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, it's really astonishing to me that there are actually fans calling for Gentry to be fired.

Yes. The fact that Gentry didn't lose the locker room in the losing streak and that the team was still putting together extra practice sessions and film time is a testament to Gentry's ability to keep a team together.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jimmer is showing some signs of life. I didn't see the game, is he still horrible defensively?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake