Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
we traded one guy away for a defesnive/rebounder. Dallas would trdae their offensive players away for OTHER OFFENSIVE players, that's why they never went anywhere. They never made a stand like this.

You forget, they drafted Pavel Podolskin! :biglaugh:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Besides we may STILL draft Diogu if he's still there. In fact, he would be nice coming off the bench with Barbosa, JJ2 and maybe even Marshall.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, okay. I don't know who is going to start, and my guess is that who finishes games will depend on matchups. F-Dog is right that we'll see a lineup of Stoudemire/Marion/Johnson/Jackson/Nash a fair amount. But I also think that Thomas will be playing a bare minimum of 25 minutes per game, and probably at least 30.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Besides we may STILL draft Diogu if he's still there. In fact, he would be nice coming off the bench with Barbosa, JJ2 and maybe even Marshall.

Aside from that Diogu is NOT Kurt Thomas. He would take several years to develop the NBA body Thomas has. Thomas is a great trade for the here and now. Diogu would be a great pick for the future. If we got Diogu, KT would be a great guy for him to learn from. :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Well, okay. I don't know who is going to start, and my guess is that who finishes games will depend on matchups. F-Dog is right that we'll see a lineup of Stoudemire/Marion/Johnson/Jackson/Nash a fair amount. But I also think that Thomas will be playing a bare minimum of 25 minutes per game, and probably at least 30.

agree. I wouldn't put it past DA to go with a small ball lineup to start either. I just the flexibility this move gets us.

fordronken

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Man I'm pissed. This might help us in the playoffs, but it also might move us back in the regular season.

Is this a joke? We'll do better in the playoffs but you don't want to hurt our regular season? Ooh, ouch.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
agree. I wouldn't put it past DA to go with a small ball lineup to start either. I just the flexibility this move gets us.

Like I said, KT comes in when the offense goes south and we are holding onto our lead. Also, if we do go point center, then when Amare sits, KT has a back to the basket low post game that would help keep our offensive scheme going. :)

Reaction score
I'm still going to wait until this is confirmed. The Suns are shifty that way ;).

But the one thing that has been nearly unanimous on this board is that we need to improve our rebounding. So this would give us size and rebounding. I can see the logic. But I also agree with whoever said that JJax will start. He has averaged 40 mpg quite recently in his career (I believe) and he is a great shooter.

But the deal isn't done yet according to this report from East Valley Tribune:
The Phoenix Suns are exploring the idea of trading swingman Quentin Richardson to the New York Knicks for power forward Kurt Thomas.
A team source said the trade is not a done deal, although it was being reported as such on two Internet sites Wednesday morning.

Richardson has five years and $37.7 million left on his contract. Shedding his salary would give the Suns more financial space to sign Amaré Stoudemire to a contract extension and re-sign guard Joe Johnson.

Richardson set a club record last season with 226 3-pointers, but had a disappointing run in the playoffs.

Thomas, 32, averaged 11.5 points and 10.4 rebounds for the Knicks last season. He has two years left on his contract, plus a player option for a third year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Best running team I ever saw was Show Time with Magic Johnson. Kareem NEVER ran on the break and they were still deadly effective on the fast break! :thumbup:

folks, we have a new "dirty kurt" in town . . .

even the showtime lakers had kurt rambis. we now have, in my opinion, a better version of him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:
I'm still going to wait until this is confirmed. The Suns are shifty that way ;).

But the one thing that has been nearly unanimous on this board is that we need to improve our rebounding. So this would give us size and rebounding. I can see the logic. But I also agree with whoever said that JJax will start. He has averaged 40 mpg quite recently in his career (I believe) and he is a great shooter.

But the deal isn't done yet according to this report from East Valley Tribune:

What seals it for me is that the Republic actually has quotes from Q about the trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
What seals it for me is that the Republic actually has quotes from Q about the trade.

Right. They don't tell the players until the deal is really happening.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
LOL, it's not like Kurt Thomas is a 7'2" behemoth, you know. He's actually shorter than Amare, so I'm not sure why it isn't your definition of "small ball".
It's not my definition we're talking about here, is it?

The problem with KT in the starting lineup is that he takes pressure off the other team's defense--he allows them to play big if they want, because he's a magnet for the other team's weakest defender.

Jim Jackson as a starter forces the other team to make tough choices, because he can run to the three-point line, just like Q did.

The Suns' starting lineup led the NBA in +/- last year.

So, are you interested in a little bet? We can make it avatars if you'd like--if you win, I'll wear a KB#8 avatar for the entire 2005/6 season, and if I win, I'll choose one out for you (reasonably tasteful, of course).

:confused:

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I believe it has happened. But it was the reporters that broke the news to him. He didn't report it to the reporters, there's a big difference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really can't say enough how awesome this trade is and how stoked I am about it. It's not a superstar trade - but we didn't need a superstar trade. We needed an Oakley for Cartwright type deal I believe this to be it. We can now go in any direction we want both draft-wise and in FA - and it pretty much is a guarantee that JJ is coming back. I love it - the future - both in the present and long term is so bright for this team - awesome - just awesome!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
So, are you interested in a little bet? We can make it avatars if you'd like--if you win, I'll wear a KB#8 avatar for the entire 2005/6 season, and if I win, I'll choose one out for you (reasonably tasteful, of course).

:confused:

Why the HELL would I want you to wear a KB#8 avatar for the season??

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Right. They don't tell the players until the deal is really happening.

I think the teams are prohibited from announcing it until the league offices confirm it, or at least give it the initial OK. Nothing on either team's web site or NBA.COM, but both city's papers are saying it's a done deal. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I think the teams are prohibited from announcing it until the league offices confirm it, or at least give it the initial OK. Nothing on either team's web site or NBA.COM, but both city's papers are saying it's a done deal. :D

Neither the NY Times nor NY Post are reporting the deal.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
lancelet's cousin said:
I believe it has happened. But it was the reporters that broke the news to him. He didn't report it to the reporters, there's a big difference.

There's quotes from Q saying he talked to BC about it. So either way, he's talked to the Suns and they told him why they are making the move. Just waiting on the league ofices, of whom, they are busy with Game 7 stuff today. ;)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Why the HELL would I want you to wear a KB#8 avatar for the season??

Sorry, I meant the avatar of your choice, within the bounds of good taste, of course. ;)

HooverDam

Reaction score
I know we need toughness, defense and rebounding....but a 33 year old w/ a huge contract? Thats the thing that worries me about this whole deal. He hasn't had injury problems yet, but at that age, I certainly think he could start to have those kind of problems.

Now whats our starting 5 look like:

C Amare
PF Thomas
SF Marion
SG JJ
PG Nash

That means Amare still plays the C (though if its this Point center we've been talking about, maybe he wont mind). Hopefully this deal will mean more things created for Marion (and thus him being happier).

I also worry that this deal give JJ a ton of leverage in contract negotiations. He knows that he and Qs games over lap, and now he can tell the Suns to pay them whatever he wants, or they'd be screwed at the wings. I know they intended to pay him whatever he wanted anyway, but I wonder if that will be higher now.

Also, a future conditional 1st rounder? That doesnt really help us NOW, and this trade is supposed to be for now isn't it?

As for what we need to do for the rest of the off season:

Draft Ike (or someone like him) to play back up PF. Resign Hunter if at all possible. We also still need another wing player and PG now. Salim Stodumire might be a good pick (shoots the 3, may learn to be a PG someday).

Anyway, I still think the Suns have a lot of work to do before we crown them future NBA champs.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Anyway, I still think the Suns have a lot of work to do before we crown them future NBA champs.

True but we are alot closer than most teams.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Neither the NY Times nor NY Post are reporting the deal.

Did you try the NY Daily News? Prosportsdaily is from NY, I believe, and they are reporting it. I think most papers are behind since they mostly do AP stories, and AP won't report it until the league say it's a deal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Did you try the NY Daily News? Prosportsdaily is from NY, I believe, and they are reporting it. I think most papers are behind since they mostly do AP stories, and AP won't report it until the league say it's a deal.

The Post is Peter Vecsey, and HE isn't reporting it! And since it involves the Knicks, he should be ALL over it!

Daily News doesn't have it either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05