Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Amare will be point center on offense, and will be PF on defense. I think KT will be our center when Amare is out there on the defensive end. That's where I think Amare is bitching about getting beat up anyways. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The Post is Peter Vecsey, and HE isn't reporting it! And since it involves the Knicks, he should be ALL over it!

That's when he gets out from under Isiah's desk! :eek:

mribnik

Reaction score
Assuming this trade does indeed go down, I'm wondering if that conditional first rounder could be used in a trade to help us move up in this draft (if the Suns are ecstatic about a certain player that is).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
fordronken said:
If that was true, you'd think his information would be a little more accurate.

Must be hard to hear from down there! Especially when he's concentrating on something else! :eek:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
mribnik said:
Assuming this trade does indeed go down, I'm wondering if that conditional first rounder could be used in a trade to help us move up in this draft (if the Suns are ecstatic about a certain player that is).

Don't the Knicks have 2 first rounders this year? That could factor into this. ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The problem with KT in the starting lineup is that he takes pressure off the other team's defense--he allows them to play big if they want, because he's a magnet for the other team's weakest defender.

You sound like you think Thomas is another Bo Outlaw. He's not. He has a reliable elbow jumper -- in fact, he's probably a better mid-range shooter than Richardson -- and has averaged almost 13 points per game over the last four seasons, in a grind-it-out offense. On a game-by-game basis, Richardson outscored him by all of three and a half points last season. You don't think the advantages gained by a more versatile lineup can make up for that difference?

I must admit, however, that I'm shocked by how rarely Thomas gets to the line -- barely one attempt per game last season. Still, with the way the Suns' offense is designed, they wouldn't want him clogging the paint on the offensive end anyway.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The Post is Peter Vecsey, and HE isn't reporting it! And since it involves the Knicks, he should be ALL over it!

Daily News doesn't have it either.

OK, who do you believe, The Republic or the Times and Post? I'd take The Republic over those tabloids!

Secondly, Paul Caro as a reporter or Peter Vecsey? I'd go with Caro, again. I've seen Vecsey be wrong on lot's of stuff in the past.

I didn't see it in the Post or Times either. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta wonder - do you guys think we'll use both the 1.7 and mid-level FA exceptions? I wouldn'd mind signing a Person or Jon Barry with the 1.7 and getting a guy like Donyell at the higher exemption. Thorw is our first round pick and you have a team that looks like this:

C - Amare
PF - Kurt Thomas
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

Bench:
JJ2
Donyell Marshall
Person/Barry
Barbosa
1st round pick
whatever other garbage.

Is that a pipe dream above? I think that team would be sick - our entire bench would be nothing but three point shooters basically and really alow us to do anything we want matchup wise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yuma said:
OK, who do you believe, The Republic or the Times and Post? I'd take The Republic over those tabloids!

Secondly, Paul Caro as a reporter or Peter Vecsey? I'd go with Caro, again. I've seen Vecsey be wrong on lot's of stuff in the past.

I didn't see it in the Post or Times either. ;)

Huh? This is a trade for arguably the Knicks' second best player! Don't you think they'd be all over it?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I gotta wonder - do you guys think we'll use both the 1.7 and mid-level FA exceptions? I wouldn'd mind signing a Person or Jon Barry with the 1.7 and getting a guy like Donyell at the higher exemption. Thorw is our first round pick and you have a team that looks like this:

C - Amare
PF - Kurt Thomas
SF - Marion
SG - JJ
PG - Nash

Bench:
JJ2
Donyell Marshall
Person/Barry
Barbosa
1st round pick
whatever other garbage.

Is that a pipe dream above? I think that team would be sick - our entire bench would be nothing but three point shooters basically and really alow us to do anything we want matchup wise.

That bench scares me because Marshall would be the only guy bigger than 6'5" off the bench. Assuming we don't draft a PF or C, that is.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Huh? This is a trade for arguably the Knicks' second best player! Don't you think they'd be all over it?

2nd best??? They have been trying to move him for most of last year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The problem with KT in the starting lineup is that he takes pressure off the other team's defense--he allows them to play big if they want, because he's a magnet for the other team's weakest defender.

You sound like you think Thomas is another Bo Outlaw. He's not. He has a reliable elbow jumper -- in fact, he's probably a better mid-range shooter than Richardson -- and has averaged almost 13 points per game over the last four seasons, in a grind-it-out offense. On a game-by-game basis, Richardson outscored him by all of three and a half points last season. You don't think the advantages gained by a more versatile lineup can make up for that difference?

I must admit, however, that I'm shocked by how rarely Thomas gets to the line -- barely one attempt per game last season. Still, with the way the Suns' offense is designed, they wouldn't want him clogging the paint on the offensive end anyway.

Jump shooter's don't get to the line all that much on average. Plus, all off season the Suns have supposedly looked at centers in the draft who could shoot a mid range jumper for Amare to pass to. If you are going to double Amare, then I would back off KT, so I bet his points per game may go up with Phoenix. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

uh - I would think Crawford is their 2nd best player. Kurt is a good role player, but as far as the Knicks are concerned not really part of the equation(although, I don't WHAT that equation is with Isiah running the show). But you would think some NY paper would have it.

fordronken

Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I think Vescey is trying to come with a "source" to tell him that the reason the deal isn't done yet is because it might be turning into a three-way trade with the Timberwolves involving Kevin Garnett and Fred Hoiberg.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
uh - I would think Crawford is their 2nd best player. Kurt is a good role player, but as far as the Knicks are concerned not really part of the equation(although, I don't WHAT that equation is with Isiah running the show). But you would think some NY paper would have it.

The Knicks stink, and Kurt Thomas is their 2nd best player--Crawford is too streaky to be worth anything more than a late first rounder. Q immediately becomes their 2nd best player upon completion of this trade.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Looking at their content online, it doesn't look like they update their web sites all that much. You gotta give AZcentral.com credit, they do update content quite frequently.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I think Vescey is trying to come with a "source" to tell him that the reason the deal isn't done yet is because it might be turning into a three-way trade with the Timberwolves involving Kevin Garnett and Fred Hoiberg.

Since when does Vecsey need a "source" to report anything? :p

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Kurt Thomas is pretty much a jumpshooter on offense (well, obviously. He wouldn't be a jumpshooter on defense, that's for sure :p ). According to 82games.com, last season, 89% of his shots were jumpers. The good thing is, his eFG% on those (.455) is one of the best among big men in the entire league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That bench scares me because Marshall would be the only guy bigger than 6'5" off the bench. Assuming we don't draft a PF or C, that is.

I can understand that - but if you think about it, how many teams actually have more than one player off the bench that is a contributor or even plays at 6'9 or taller? The Pistons have only had one this season, the Spurs only have one and considering that we'll likely still go small for extended periods of time, having 3 guys at 6'9 or taller would be plenty IMO. I also think we'll go big at 21.

Basically, we were one man short on big guys who could play this year - getting Marshall and Thomas shores that up. I don't think there's really that much of a need in the NBA for more than three competent big men - especially with the style we run.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
The Knicks stink, and Kurt Thomas is their 2nd best player--Crawford is too streaky to be worth anything more than a late first rounder. Q immediately becomes their 2nd best player upon completion of this trade.

Okay Chap.

fordronken

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Since when does Vecsey need a "source" to report anything? :p

Heh.

As for the comment about Richardson being the second best player, I'm not sure. I think Crawford will do more for that team next year than Q will. It's just the make up of the team.

Speaking of which, what the hell is the Knicks lineup gonna look like next year?

PG Marbury
SG Crawford
SF Richardson
PF Sweetney
C Frye

Bench:
Tim Thomas
Hardaway
Etc.

Or maybe Thomas will start over Q. Or they'll go small with Steph, Craw, Q, Thomas and Sweetney. Geez. I mena, it's not like New York sports fan deserve the ability to complain about anything, but this Knicks team is certainly making a case.

HooverDam

Reaction score
To those talking about how Q only scored 3 points more a game than KT last season. You have to also consider, KT was one of a very few options in NY. Q was getting his numbers while having to share the ball w/ 4 other scorers. True, KT will be left open when people double Amare, but it would seem like Amare would have to play the low block more. Thus pulling the second defender low on him, so that he can pass it out to the elbow to KT.

Im more interested in now thinking about what else the team will do/needs to do than arguing about the legitimacy of certain papers/reporters. Does anyone know for CERTAIN if the pick we got from the Knicks could be used this year, or is it next year at the earliest? Perhaps we can use it (or the rights to Milos) to help us move up in the first round if we think Ike (or whatever big we want) will be gone by 21. This trade also means that we need to go look for another guard. Whether thats more of a true PG to back up Nash, or a SG to be a long range threat and let LB play back up PG, we need one more G I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05