Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now that I have thought about it, I like the trade. Suns have finally have some size, a front court of Thomas, Marion and Amare, with a backcourt of Nash and Johnson, I like it. Last years starting 5 was too soft and could not beat a Miami, Detroit or S.A in the playoffs. The Suns finally have some size, this team can score a ton of points and play physical, something the Suns have never been able to do in a long time.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
You sound like you think Thomas is another Bo Outlaw. He's not. He has a reliable elbow jumper -- in fact, he's probably a better mid-range shooter than Richardson -- and has averaged almost 13 points per game over the last four seasons, in a grind-it-out offense. On a game-by-game basis, Richardson outscored him by all of three and a half points last season. You don't think the advantages gained by a more versatile lineup can make up for that difference?

No, I agree with you that Thomas has a great 16-foot shot. The problem is that he doesn't have anything else. He'll punish help defenders for leaving him, but he's not going to exploit mismatches or weaker man defenders.

The thing is that the Suns' secondary break was a big part of their offense, and KT is much easier to identify and match up with (running to the elbow) than Q or JJax (running to the three-point line). Plus, that open three-pointer is worth more than an open KT mid-range jumper.

I doubt the Suns will give up their secondary break to get extra minutes for KT, especially at the beginning of the game, when the other team can't prepare for it as easily. :shrug:

fordronken

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
No, I agree with you that Thomas has a great 16-foot shot. The problem is that he doesn't have anything else. He'll punish help defenders for leaving him, but he's not going to exploit mismatches or weaker man defenders.

The thing is that the Suns' secondary break was a big part of their offense, and KT is much easier to identify and match up with (running to the elbow) than Q or JJax (running to the three-point line). Plus, that open three-pointer is worth more than an open KT mid-range jumper.

I doubt the Suns will give up their secondary break to get extra minutes for KT, especially at the beginning of the game, when the other team can't prepare for it as easily. :shrug:

A lot of Q's offense came out of help defense and a stronger focus on everyone else. He did drive the basket sometimes to score, but it was innefective more often than not.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
fordronken said:
A lot of Q's offense came out of help defense and a stronger focus on everyone else. He did drive the basket sometimes to score, but it was innefective more often than not.

OK, now read the second paragraph. :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
fordronken said:

I wouldn't say it was innefective. He got to the FT line an awful lot on his drives, even if he didn't finish all the time. ;)

fordronken

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
OK, now read the second paragraph. :)

I did. That probably acounted for 3 points every two games.

And if you think having an extra three point shooter on a secondary break is more important than getting the other team's rebound in the first place, then I don't really want to argue my point anymore.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
guys this was a great trade esp. if we fill in the bench with a 3 point shooter or two and one more big body. KT is no world beater but if you watched knicks games last year and had to choose between KT and Nazr you would have definatly chose kurt. And we all know how effective Nazr was in the post season. I liked Q the locker room guy and Q the clutch shooter but he was expendable. Think about it guys...we have the best rebounding front line now. Our SF averages 10 boards a game!!! Amare and Kurt both should average ten a game!!! Thats 30 boards from the front line (if averages maintain) plus kurts scoring will only go up with nash at the point so expect him to fill the void of Q's 15 points a game as well. Great move BC if this guy has two plus years left. i always remember thinking this guy was highly undervalued. You all should check out KT40.com.....now that is funny stuff

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KT is a double double center, especially in the Western Conference against all but maybe Yao Ming. I've said all along, all the Suns need is a guy averaging 10 and 10 at center to be the top dog. We haven't had a center, unless you count Amare as a center, that's been a double double guy. Last time we had a guy like that was Oliver Miller, pre-Nutri systems and Luc Longley buffet line regular, and Barkley had to kick his rear to get him to do it, too. Imagine Amare with a double double center, JJ, Nash, and the Matrix. I think we cause some problems for teams in the WC! :D

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
To those talking about how Q only scored 3 points more a game than KT last season. You have to also consider, KT was one of a very few options in NY. Q was getting his numbers while having to share the ball w/ 4 other scorers. True, KT will be left open when people double Amare, but it would seem like Amare would have to play the low block more. Thus pulling the second defender low on him, so that he can pass it out to the elbow to KT.

Look at the attempts per game then. Thomas averaged 11.3 attempts per game, while Q attempted 13.2.

I don't think they are officially announcing the trade today because the NBA wants all the media attention on game 7 tonight.

fordronken

Reaction score
Yuma said:
I wouldn't say it was innefective. He got to the FT line an awful lot on his drives, even if he didn't finish all the time. ;)

It was ineffective most of the time. If he scored or got fouled more than 50 percent of the times he drove to the basket, don't you think he would(or should) have done it a little more.

And does missing both free throws when you do get fouled still count as being effective? :)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Exactly, The Suns offense is still fine with Thomas instead of Richardson.

Limiting second chance points will be a huge boost for the Suns.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yuma said:
KT is a double double center, especially in the Western Conference against all but maybe Yao Ming. I've said all along, all the Suns need is a guy averaging 10 and 10 at center to be the top dog. We haven't had a center, unless you count Amare as a center, that's been a double double guy. Last time we had a guy like that was Oliver Miller, pre-Nutri systems and Luc Longley buffet line regular, and Barkley had to kick his rear to get him to do it, too. Imagine Amare with a double double center, JJ, Nash, and the Matrix. I think we cause some problems for teams in the WC! :D

I don't get this DOUBLE DOUBLE stuff he did it one year and hasn't even come close before!

fordronken

Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Exactly, The Suns offense is still fine with Thomas instead of Richardson.

Limiting second chance points will be a huge boost for the Suns.

And you have to factor in the improvement of JJ and Amare and the retweaking of the offense anyway.

Honestly, do you guys really believe that if we lose in the playoffs next year, we're gonna be saying, "Man! I wish we had a little more offense. That's what killed us this year. I sure do miss that extra three point shooter on the secondary break."

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's been a year and a half since a thread grew this fast. I don't think the Nash signing was this quick. :notworthy

Hard to add much except that I think the chances of the Suns drafting Garcia jumped from 20% to 60%. With the likelyhood that Ike will be gone, the Suns may have felt that none of the bigs would be immediate help. At the same time, Garcia has demonstrated he is an outstanding three point shooter.

BTW, the Suns have worked Garcia out twice. :cool:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
SweetD said:
I don't get this DOUBLE DOUBLE stuff he did it one year and hasn't even come close before!
Did you read where I said "in the Western Conference?" That's the key! ;)

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Honestly, do you guys really believe that if we lose in the playoffs next year, we're gonna be saying, "Man! I wish we had a little more offense. That's what killed us this year. I sure do miss that extra three point shooter on the secondary break."

You are totally right on that point. We never lost a game because we lacked offense, it was always because we lacked interior defense and more importantly gave up too many second chance points

BTW I like this trade but what bugs me is if we are getting a first round pick or sending our own

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
JPlay - weren't you one of the more vociferous voices of regular season doesn't mean jack if you can't win in the playoffs and that our D would be the reason why we wouldn't?

This is a great deal - a great deal.

Yeah but I don't consider Kurt Thomas a defensive force in this league. He's not a great shotblocker and had a career year rebounding last year on a really, really bad Knicks team.

I think the Suns jumped at their first offer when we could have put together a better package for someone like Jamal McGloire. The damn off-season for the NBA hasn't even started yet. Why not wait until after the draft and see who we get first before messing with the team.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yuma said:
The best defender in the NBA is only 6'9". What does that have to do with it? ;)

Are you seriously comparing Kurt Thomas to Ben Wallace. I hope not. Sorry but this is a reality check to you. It's Kurt F-ing Thomas.... Not Ben Wallace the shot-blocker and Defensive player of the year.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
we traded one guy away for a defesnive/rebounder. Dallas would trdae their offensive players away for OTHER OFFENSIVE players, that's why they never went anywhere. They never made a stand like this.

Yeah so you're saying Eric Dampier is an offensive player. That was a reach for them and this is a reach for us. If you're gonna trade Q, package him and do it for a legit center...not an undersized PF who can't block shots.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Are you seriously comparing Kurt Thomas to Ben Wallace. I hope not. Sorry but this is a reality check to you. It's Kurt F-ing Thomas.... Not Ben Wallace the shot-blocker and Defensive player of the year.

No, just heights since it sounded as if anyone under 7 foot wasn't a good defender, according to the post I responded to.

No, he may not be Ben Wallace, but he's closer to Ben Wallace than Hunter is, and I liked Hunter. I think as far as defense goes, he IS an upgrade for us. Especially compared to Q, who he is replacing! :thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread...but Gambo just said the SUNS are sending the pick, not the Knicks....

Mike

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I think the Suns jumped at their first offer when we could have put together a better package for someone like Jamal McGloire.

Magloire was a pipe-dream. Would he be perfect - sure! Would he have costed us Marion - you bet and more. Sorry, but little guys just don't have the same value as big guys, no matter how good they are.

I think you'll be happily eating crow come June next year. This team didn't need to become the defensive equivalent of the Pistons to win the title - their defense just merely needed to become the equivalent of the Pistons offense - good enough to win when counterbalanced with their superiority on D.

We are now the Polar opposite of the best team in the NBA - no longer the Indianopolis Colts of basketball - we are now the 1999 St. Louis Rams - a great offense with enough D to win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key, IMO, to making this a successful trade is if the Suns get another first round draft pick this year.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
The reason Detroit has been so effective on D is that their big men have the quickness to switch on the pick and roll and defend Parker and Ginobli. Kurt Thomas is slower than a fat kid running in the mud.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05