Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Casey Jacobsen still has no business being on this team.

Anyone have a link for the FA list that Eric put up a couple weeks ago? I'm curious as to who the swingmen/shooting guards are that are out there.

Hey beefaroni, we agree on this, Casey does not belong on this team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I was not expecting a straight up deal, you know my preferences were Ratliff and Nene in a package deal.

I glad you changed your description of Q to a streak shooter who plays average D, you have become enlighted.

I never said anything else about those two things - I didn't include that he was one of the emotional leaders of the team because in a trade scenario, "emotional leader" has about as much value as my toilet paper.

nd to think that any package of Q was somehow going to net Ratliff or Nene is still ludicrous.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
sigh...

Q WAS NOT an experiment!

Now Barbosa gets a few more minutes a game at the 2. They won't play Jimmy Jack that many more minutes because they don't want to wear him out either. I think Barbosa is a winner with this trade, too! ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Hey beefaroni, we agree on this, Casey does not beong on this team.

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

Seriously - the guy is worst "pure shooter" I've ever seen and can't play defense. Please, please, please don't bring him back Suns!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
if they could somehow get Marshall, this team would absolutely roll over people.

That was my thinking. I could easily see Marshall becoming one of the clutchest role players in league history. ;)

that my friend - would be welcomed with open arms! It really sucks defending a player you hate with a passion!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
playstation said:
-did the suns braintrust do this themselves, or was their hand forced (amare?)?

Amare is still playing center, so it wasn't him. Maybe Marion demanded to shift back to SF, but I don't see him having the leverage to force a trade.

playstation said:
-if the suns do not win a title in the next 2 years, is this trade a bust?

Impossible to say. A lot of things can happen in the next 2 years.

playstation said:
-how much of this move was cost-cutting?

Not very much. They'll probably have to sign another expensive player when Kurt Thomas' contract expires, or possibly trade Thomas' expiring contract. As long as Amare is here, the team should be a contender.

playstation said:
-did jim jackson prove enough during the playoffs to lessen q's value?

No, he was already 'proven' long before this year's playoffs. Picking him up in the first place made this trade possible, though.

playstation said:
-should amare now be the frontrunner for league mvp next year, with the team quite obviously focusing on him?

No.

playstation said:
-do the suns now have the best frontline in the nba?

No.

playstation said:
-how does this change drafting strategy?

It raised the priority for drafting a swingman (starting SG/SF is now a long-term need) and lessens the priority for drafting a power forward who can help right away. If the Suns already promised their pick, though, this trade won't matter at all.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We still need 6 more guys, assuming JJ is resigned. This is a gamble by the Suns. We had Q for sure. If for some reason we can't match on JJ, this trade blows up in our face! ;)

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Come on, I was pretty close with the Joe Smith scenario.

I think it simply didn't occur to us that Isiah Thomas would overpay for another wing player yet again.

Yes. You were certainly the closest and that's impressive. But point was just that no matter how close we get, it seems like nobody ever even ends up speculating the actual trade that winds up happening. I'm not criticizing. If anything, I'm marvelling at the simple mathematical odds of not ever getting one right.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

Seriously - the guy is worst "pure shooter" I've ever seen and can't play defense. Please, please, please don't bring him back Suns!

If a guy has to work on his shooting technique, like CJ did, he can never be classified as a pure shooter.

He can play "matador" defense.

I really enjoy this harmonic convergence between us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the FA list, I throw my exception at one of two players - Donyell Marshall or Bobby Simmons. Having watched a lot of Clipper games this year, I believe Simmons is a player - steady, hits the open three, decent enough defender - gritty.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It raised the priority for drafting a swingman (starting SG/SF is now a long-term need) and lessens the priority for drafting a power forward who can help right away. If the Suns already promised their pick, though, this trade won't matter at all.

Why? If we resign JJ, noone we draft will start ahead of either him or Marion. We have backup guys for that now. :shrug:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
sigh...

Q WAS NOT an experiment!

How can you not call signing the BFA available and then trading him not an experiment.

Last edited:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Yuma said:
We still need 6 more guys, assuming JJ is resigned. This is a gamble by the Suns. We had Q for sure. If for some reason we can't match on JJ, this trade blows up in our face! ;)

Yuma,
You can forget the JJ not signing with this team.........Okay?

You are as bad as Joe Mama in saying there is no way in H... the suns would trade Q this off season.........:) :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
-if the suns do not win a title in the next 2 years, is this trade a bust?

No. The only way you could say that would be if you thought that the team before the trade had a better chance of winning a title. Watching the level of play between the Spurs and Pistons in the last couple of games, I think the reality is that last year's Suns were farther away than any of us really wanted to acknowledge.

totally agree.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Well now that it apprears we may have created more time for Barbosa to play the two spot, I still like the option of bringing in J Williams to play point behind Nash. I really feel like he would be perfect to groom to take this team over as Nash gets older....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
How can you not call signing the BFA avaiable and then trading him not an experiment.

yeah - I gotta agree with colorado on this one.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Yes. You were certainly the closest and that's impressive. But point was just that no matter how close we get, it seems like nobody ever even ends up speculating the actual trade that winds up happening. I'm not criticizing. If anything, I'm marvelling at the simple mathematical odds of not ever getting one right.

I agree. However, I brought this up two weeks ago and was hammered on it. Too many guys think pie in the sky on proposed trades in here. Last off season there were a few of us that wanted KT in a trade. I guess we were a season ahead of BC! Had to get Q first so we could trade to get KT I guess! :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Looking at the FA list, I throw my exception at one of two players - Donyell Marshall or Bobby Simmons. Having watched a lot of Clipper games this year, I believe Simmons is a player - steady, hits the open three, decent enough defender - gritty.

Simmons will sign somewhere where he can be a starter, and that's not with the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
How can you not call signing the BFA avaiable and then trading him not an experiment.

Steve Nash was the BFA last year by virtue of being league MVP! Check and Mate my Commrad! :biglaugh:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Actually, I'm thinking Jim Jackson will replace Q in the starting lineup.

You're probably making a joke ... uh, right? Why would the Suns make this deal for Thomas just to park him on the bench and play more small ball?

You think the Suns are going to give up small ball? With D'Antoni as coach and 62 wins behind them?

Kurt Thomas is a solid veteran who's capable of starting, but you can say the same thing about Jim Jackson. IMO the decision will be up to D'Antoni, which means Kurt Thomas is coming off the bench. :shrug:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Yuma,
You can forget the JJ not signing with this team.........Okay?

You are as bad as Joe Mama in saying there is no way in H... the suns would trade Q this off season.........:) :)

Hey, it's not a done deal, yet. When he gets re-signed, I will rest a LOT better! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05