Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
You think the Suns are going to give up small ball? With D'Antoni as coach and 62 wins behind them?

Kurt Thomas is a solid veteran who's capable of starting, but you can say the same thing about Jim Jackson. IMO the decision will be up to D'Antoni, which means Kurt Thomas is coming off the bench. :shrug:

You're just plain wrong here. Kurt Thomas WILL start. Bank on it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wonder if the Collangelos get invited to Q and Brandy's wedding? :D

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Steve Nash was the BFA last year by virtue of being league MVP! Check and Mate my Commrad! :biglaugh:

Sorry should have clarified, Best Restricted FA available at the time. I think you knew what I meant.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I agree. You don't make this move for a back up to Amare. :cool:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby Simmons would be an astounding acqusisition. However, I think some other team will pay him big bucks.

I still think Casey may come back to Phoenix. IMO, again, he will only get better like a Steve Kerr or at worst a Piakowski. Casey has always been inclined to drive to the basket when his shot was contested (not a bad instinct). Now he can sit back and just concentrate on shooting the open outside shot with the collapsing defenses.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Sorry should have clarified, Best Restricted FA available at the time. I think you knew what I meant.

Just joking with you! I couldn't let that go by, though. :D

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Is this the "Kobe is coming to Phoenix" bank on it, or do you have information that supports your opinion?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Is this the "Kobe is coming to Phoenix" bank on it, or do you have information that supports your opinion?

:biglaugh:

He may still come to Phoenix. When he's 38 and looking for one last pay day! Bank on it! :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

What exactly are you referring to? This has nothing to do with Kobe coming to Phoenix. Kurt Thomas is better than Jim Jackson, who is terrific off the bench, and allows our other players to play their natural positions. Is that confusing?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Caption: This goes in, I play the rest of my days in Phoenix!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Wow.

I didn't really want to trade any starters but I like Kurt Thomas.

The bottom line was the Suns needed someone to help Amare and Marion up front. Kurt Thomas is a quality front court player and a veteran that can really help in the playoffs.

Thanks to the Knicks once again. :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If we could get Stromile Swift now, instead of Donyell Marshall, I think that would be interesting! :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Poetic justice...

Our NBDL team will be shared with the Knicks, that would be the funniest thing... :D

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Poetic justice...

Our NBDL team will be shared with the Knicks, that would be the funniest thing... :D

That would be sad.....for NY! We would keep bringing up the good players, and they would keep taking the Luke Longleys! :eek:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
What exactly are you referring to? This has nothing to do with Kobe coming to Phoenix. Kurt Thomas is better than Jim Jackson, who is terrific off the bench, and allows our other players to play their natural positions. Is that confusing?

Jim Jackson has always maintained that he's better as a starter, and D'Antoni has never shown any concern for 'natural positions'. His goal was always to go small and run other teams out of the gym, and he only matched up size-wise when he was forced to.

Surely you remember the whole "point center" business of a few weeks ago. Does that sound to you like a team that's trying to play conventional basketball?

Hmm...maybe you'd be interested in a friendly wager, since it's just my opinion against yours here? :)

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Man I'm pissed. This might help us in the playoffs, but it also might move us back in the regular season. Q was a big part of the turnaround. I can't believe we gave up on our style of play and Q so easily. We made it all the way to the WCF with this style and JJ hurt. It seems as if everything Q did for 86 games was forgotten with a bad series against the Spurs.

The Suns advantage was putting 4, 3 point shooters on the floor at all times. Now we will only have 3 and Amare will still have trouble guarding the larger centers in the league. JJax is a good bench player, but Q used to hit those clutch 3s with someone right in his face. Not to mention Q is a much better rebounder than JJax.

Kurt Thomas does not impress me at all. He's a average player in the league. He doesn't block many shots and doesn't seem versatile enough to fit in this offense. It seems like we are reaching to me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Jim Jackson has always maintained that he's better as a starter, and D'Antoni has never shown any concern for 'natural positions'. His goal was always to go small and run other teams out of the gym, and he only matched up size-wise when he was forced to.

Surely you remember the whole "point center" business of a few weeks ago. Does that sound to you like a team that's trying to play conventional basketball?

Hmm...maybe you'd be interested in a friendly wager, since it's just my opinion against yours here? :)

I'll hold the money! :D You guys trust me, right? :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

LOL, it's not like Kurt Thomas is a 7'2" behemoth, you know. He's actually shorter than Amare, so I'm not sure why it isn't your definition of "small ball".

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say that this is a bad deal for the Knicks - that team needs to get younger and Kurt Thomas doens't do them a lick of good in the long run - whichis the only place the Knicks are ever gonna win - but I sure as hell DO like that he keeps helping us out - now if just wouldn't have helped the Spurs out as well that SOB.

I am loving this trade the more I think about it. I WILL miss Q's hustle, regular season shooting clutchness, but Kurt should solidify the second best front line in the NBA. At this point, I still have to give it to the Pistons because they are defending Champs, but it seems like we'll be offensive equivalent of them - with just good enough D as opposed to their defensive juggernaut with just good enough O.

A matchup with them in the Finals next year will be the stuff of legends! SA in no way scares me anymore. That team is, was and has always been soft as tissue paper - we were just softer this year - next year, we will kick their ass.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
We could have had the exact same player if Diagu fell to us. Kurt Thomas is only 6'9!!!!! Why did we mess with the team. This reminds me of what Dallas would do every year and kill there chemistry.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Man I'm pissed. This might help us in the playoffs, but it also might move us back in the regular season. Q was a big part of the turnaround. I can't believe we gave up on our style of play and Q so easily. We made it all the way to the WCF with this style and JJ hurt. It seems as if everything Q did for 86 games was forgotten with a bad series against the Spurs.

The Suns advantage was putting 4, 3 point shooters on the floor at all times. Now we will only have 3 and Amare will still have trouble guarding the larger centers in the league. JJax is a good bench player, but Q used to hit those clutch 3s with someone right in his face. Not to mention Q is a much better rebounder than JJax.

Kurt Thomas does not impress me at all. He's a average player in the league. He doesn't block many shots and doesn't seem versatile enough to fit in this offense. It seems like we are reaching to me.

Yeah, but our achilles heel for that last decade or more has been rebounding and defense. The Suns FINALLY go and get a good rebounder and tough defender, and you think it makes us worse? We get leads, then our shooters go cold, and we let teams right back in the game because of our poor rebounding and defense. Now, with KT, we might be able to hold some of those leads.

I can see where you're going with the argument. If we want to win it all, we NEED more toughness, defense, and rebounding. I guess there would be no trade off if KT could hit 40% of his threes! :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Man I'm pissed. This might help us in the playoffs, but it also might move us back in the regular season.

JPlay - weren't you one of the more vociferous voices of regular season doesn't mean jack if you can't win in the playoffs and that our D would be the reason why we wouldn't?

This is a great deal - a great deal.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
His goal was always to go small and run other teams out of the gym, and he only matched up size-wise when he was forced to.

That's true. I guess the question is whether he now realizes that he is "forced to" develop a more conventional lineup for postseason success.

No, it sounds to me like a team trying to appease its superstar while figuring out what to do next.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
We could have had the exact same player if Diagu fell to us. Kurt Thomas is only 6'9!!!!! Why did we mess with the team. This reminds me of what Dallas would do every year and kill there chemistry.

The best defender in the NBA is only 6'9". What does that have to do with it? ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

we traded one guy away for a defesnive/rebounder. Dallas would trdae their offensive players away for OTHER OFFENSIVE players, that's why they never went anywhere. They never made a stand like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05