Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yeah so you're saying Eric Dampier is an offensive player. That was a reach for them and this is a reach for us. If you're gonna trade Q, package him and do it for a legit center...not an undersized PF who can't block shots.

Blocking shots isn't the be all and end all on defense. Hunter was a very good shot blocker. Did that stop Manu and Parker from driving down the lane all day? NOPE! Will they want to keep coming down the lane when KT rings their bell? NOPE! (I exagerated for effect, but KT will bring Eastern Conference toughness to our team defensivly.) :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Haven't read the whole thread...but Gambo just said the SUNS are sending the pick, not the Knicks....

Mike

That's what the AZ Republic is reporting, too. From Paul Caro. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I want Pachulia if he can be had as a FA from Milwaukee.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yeah so you're saying Eric Dampier is an offensive player. That was a reach for them and this is a reach for us. If you're gonna trade Q, package him and do it for a legit center...not an undersized PF who can't block shots.

You are certifiably insane if you think Q could have gotten us a "legit center". I'm sure there's plenty of GM out there with a legit center(in a league where they are few and far between) just waiting to jump at the chance to deal that center for a 6'5 streak shooter who plays mediocre at best defense.

Come on man.

As far as the Mavs - do you honestly think if they kept that team together they'd be ANY better right now? And apparently, getting Damp and retooling their team DID make them better - are they title contenders? No - and they never will be be Dirk is a big soft puss. We on the other hand have Amare, thus we can make a trade like this and get better.

You said it yourself, this will hurt us in the regular season and probably help us in the playoffs - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Magloire was a pipe-dream. Would he be perfect - sure! Would he have costed us Marion - you bet and more. Sorry, but little guys just don't have the same value as big guys, no matter how good they are.

I think you'll be happily eating crow come June next year. This team didn't need to become the defensive equivalent of the Pistons to win the title - their defense just merely needed to become the equivalent of the Pistons offense - good enough to win when counterbalanced with their superiority on D.

We are now the Polar opposite of the best team in the NBA - no longer the Indianopolis Colts of basketball - we are now the 1999 St. Louis Rams - a great offense with enough D to win.

I would have rather had Nazi Muhommed for a pick than KT for Q. We need a defensive center and a PF as a backup. This still doesn't solve our problem with Amare playing out of position. Kurt Thomas is not the answer to our defensive problems.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
The reason Detroit has been so effective on D is that their big men have the quickness to switch on the pick and roll and defend Parker and Ginobli. Kurt Thomas is slower than a fat kid running in the mud.

You remember being a kid? I remember fighting fat kids and running circles around them. I also remember what happened when they caught you, too! :eek:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
The reason Detroit has been so effective on D is that their big men have the quickness to switch on the pick and roll and defend Parker and Ginobli. Kurt Thomas is slower than a fat kid running in the mud.

AGAIN - we are not going to become the defensive equivalent of the Pistons and to think that we were is just flat out stupidity.

Our rebounding will get better which means fewer second shots which is what killed us more than anything last year. Also, havign a guy down low that will actually put Parker and Ginobli's asses on the ground will make a hell of a difference.

I guess it boils down to this - you are a Suns fan that will bitch and complain about every move the Suns make. You bitch about us not being big enough and running too much during the season, then when the Suns address that need, you bitch about us getting rid of the team that was so successful during the regular season. I feel sorry for fans like you.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I would have rather had Nazi Muhommed for a pick than KT for Q. We need a defensive center and a PF as a backup. This still doesn't solve our problem with Amare playing out of position. Kurt Thomas is not the answer to our defensive problems.

I bet KT could out sprint Nazr Muhommed in a foot race anyday! Still, I don't see San Antonio letting Nazr go. KT was available and Nazr wasn't. I would have like us to pick up Tim Duncan for our second round pick. C'mon, be serious! :biglaugh:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
You are certifiably insane if you think Q could have gotten us a "legit center". I'm sure there's plenty of GM out there with a legit center(in a league where they are few and far between) just waiting to jump at the chance to deal that center for a 6'5 streak shooter who plays mediocre at best defense.

Come on man.

As far as the Mavs - do you honestly think if they kept that team together they'd be ANY better right now? And apparently, getting Damp and retooling their team DID make them better - are they title contenders? No - and they never will be be Dirk is a big soft puss. We on the other hand have Amare, thus we can make a trade like this and get better.

You said it yourself, this will hurt us in the regular season and probably help us in the playoffs - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT?

What I said was package Q, that means him plus either other players or picks. The Freekin Spurs got Nazi Muhammed for a late draft pick.

Dampier did not help them at all. They lost in WCSF to a team without a true center...us.

And I said it might help us in the playoffs during a slowdown game, but it might take away the advantage that we had over the other teams too and put us in the middle of the pack during the regular season. The regular season and the playoffs are two different games, look at Detroit.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
AGAIN - we are not going to become the defensive equivalent of the Pistons and to think that we were is just flat out stupidity.

Our rebounding will get better which means fewer second shots which is what killed us more than anything last year. Also, havign a guy down low that will actually put Parker and Ginobli's asses on the ground will make a hell of a difference.

I guess it boils down to this - you are a Suns fan that will bitch and complain about every move the Suns make. You bitch about us not being big enough and running too much during the season, then when the Suns address that need, you bitch about us getting rid of the team that was so successful during the regular season. I feel sorry for fans like you.

Damn Cheese, leave the guy SOME dignity! :notworthy

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I feel sorry for mindless fans like you who agree with everything the Suns do. Grow a pair.

The Suns have needed a center for years. I want them to get a tough defensive minded center who can run on the break. Not an old, slow, short PR who can't block shots.

Breaking up the starting 5 is not worth Kurt Thomas..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Dampier did not help them at all. They lost in WCSF to a team without a true center...us.

oh no - didn't rhe Mavs win 52 games last season? Hmm, I think they won 58 this season. And what did the Mavs do last season in the playoffs? Oh yeah, they got their asses kicked in the first round. I'd say getting to the second round and being 2 seconds from forcing a Game 7 with team with the best record in the league is helping them somewhat, don't you think?

Now take a team that actually made it the conference finals - had the best record in the league and got incrementally better in an area that was a weakness and you could have the same type of improvement - one more round (into the Finals) and who knows once you get there.

Keep bitching away though - it's what you seem to enjoy doing with this time come rain or shine anyway.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I feel sorry for mindless fans like you who agree with everything the Suns do. Grow a pair.

The Suns have needed a center for years. I want them to get a tough defensive minded center who can run on the break. Not an old, slow, short PR who can't block shots.

Breaking up the starting 5 is not worth Kurt Thomas..

Let's not forget that this trade was as much about re-signing JJ, as it was taking Kurt Thomas. We were in a bind salary-wise to max Amare AND JJ this off season. In one trade, we can max JJ, got KT, and got a draft pick, too! KT isn't the next Kareem Abdul Jabbar, but I'll take him if it means we get JJ long term! :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:

The Suns have needed a center for years. I want them to get a tough defensive minded center who can run on the break.

I forgot that those guys just grow on trees - how stupid of me. As far as being a mindless fan who agrees with everything the Suns do - why don't you look back one year from today and see my thoughts on signing Steve Nash. Yeesh.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap that took a long time to read.

JPlay and cheese please take it easy. There's no problem with disagreeing... none at all. Just don't get personal. Hasn't been that bad yet, but I can see this going downhill quickly. :) Thanks.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns have needed a center for years.

You mean they've needed a good center. They weren't going to get one this year either. Magloire is vastly overrated and I'm perfectly fine with the Suns not giving up the farm for him. Dalembert is more promising, but I don't think the Suns would want to pay the price for him.

I want them to get a tough defensive minded center who can run on the break.

Any suggestions? I hope you don't think that Magloire or Dalembert are big-time open-court players. The closest match to your description is Stoudemire, who can be "sort of" a center and may eventually get tough defensively -- more likely sooner rather than later, now that another legitimate PF is on board.

Not an old, slow, short PR who can't block shots.

Thomas isn't particularly short for a PF, and he has never looked slow to me, either. His age is a concern, but his numbers have been steady over the last few years and he's been uncommonly healthy, so those are positive signs.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I forgot that those guys just grow on trees - how stupid of me. As far as being a mindless fan who agrees with everything the Suns do - why don't you look back one year from today and see my thoughts on signing Steve Nash. Yeesh.

Yeah you're probably as right about this as you are about that. Thanks for proving my point. Maybe the Suns should do the opposite of what you think they should do and we would be on our 9th championship.

sunsfn

Reaction score
WHO IS GOING TO GET THE D........ FIRST ROUND PICK??

That info keeps changing. If anyone sees for sure let us know.

I have been looking but nothing for sure. It might not be announced until after the game tonight.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Holy crap that took a long time to read.

JPlay and cheese please take it easy. There's no problem with disagreeing... none at all. Just don't get personal. Hasn't been that bad yet, but I can see this going downhill quickly. :) Thanks.

Joe Mama

Did you see the slurp quote? :eek: My EYES!!! :biglaugh:

scotsman13

Reaction score
JPlay said:

what i feel sorry is fans like you who say that they want something then when it comes cant be happy with it. you think that a player that will bring us 10 boards a game play solid post defense and score on open 15-18 foot shot is going to hurt this team more then a player that shot 38% from the field? you have to be kidding me. all you are doing here is bitching to bitch. you are all for trading a all nba 3 rd team for some player that didnt grab as many rebounds as Kt and scored almost the same points as Kt and you think that you have a good idea of what this team needs to win.

well jplay it is time you for you to wake up and smell the coffee. this is a trade that moves this team in a direction to being a real championship team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Yeah you're probably as right about this as you are about that. Thanks for proving my point. Maybe the Suns should do the opposite of what you think they should do and we would be on our 9th championship.

or maybe since the Suns KNEW what they were doing with that deal, they might just know what they're doing with this one - right?

And you miss the point - not surprisingly. I wasn't holding that deal up as evidence that I'd be right - it was in relation to your ridiculous notion that I just lick up everything the Suns offer - or can you not remember that far back?

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
why cant KT play C on the defensice end for us. the players that gave us the most problems were always the PFs being guarded by marion the soft ones he could use his quickness to beat but the bangers really gave him fits.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
WHO IS GOING TO GET THE D........ FIRST ROUND PICK??

That info keeps changing. If anyone sees for sure let us know.

I have been looking but nothing for sure. It might not be announced until after the game tonight.

Mike logged in and said he heard on the radio we got it. I read Paul Caro's article on AZCENTRAL.COM and it said we got it, too. There's a thread on the board about liking how an article broke the trade down, and it says we got the pick, too! :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
why cant KT play C on the defensice end for us. the players that gave us the most problems were always the PFs being guarded by marion the soft ones he could use his quickness to beat but the bangers really gave him fits.

I think they will do that. Amare plays center on offense, KT plays center on defense! :thumbup:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
ESPN's Brian James view of the trade:

Alex, Phoenix
Hey brian,whats your take on the richardson for kurt thomas deal. im a big suns fan who really enjoyed their style of play last year and i dont know if they can do it as well without Q. plus Q was a great locker room presence. this could possibly bust their tight chemistry. whats your take?

Alex,Q is a great locker room guy and I don't know the reasoning behind this one. But possibly Phoenix felt that it put Shawn Marion at too much of an disadvantage in the playoffs having to start out guarding the power forwards like Duncan. Who knows because I too loved watching Phoenix play this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05