Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
KLL said:
Again... look at the source...I believe this would be reported... Plus.. isnt RealGM come from the East Coast? It's already noon there...wouldnt you think this story would also have been updated by now if there was any validity to the story? I believe so... it's all moot, but I guess it makes everything more interesting/exciting for everyone rather than complete monotony....

We're all dealing with an extreme case of hearsay.... It's just that JJ and Q's game complemented each other perfectly...

True..the trade could greatly alter the draft strategy, but it's too major of a risk that could ultimately backfire for everyone....

I think that if JJ's in fact has already been signed by the Suns (his fate being sealed), then that would have been announced by now.....

I believe there were several occasions when Q became more than just a mere 5th option... He seemed to hit the clutch shots when the Suns needed it most and he would create several mix-matches himself if D'Antoni allowed for him to go inside more to the extent that he would even be more of a focal point on offense than he actually was....

Again... it's just this rumor seems to be made by someone who tends to sensantionalize everything without any regards to logic.......

given amare's emergence as a go-to-performer in the playoffs i don't think we're as dependent on q being the clutch-time shooter than we might have been during the season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
XTRA910 is talking right now with Paul Coro of the Republic, and how Bryan and Q's agent both called him in NY to let him know before he heard it elsewhere...

Seems real to me.

Mike

Now THAT is a much better confirmation than anything else out there. But the question remains about that conditional pick--anything said about it?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:
I dont like this trade at all, we defined our selves as a run and gun team last year and being as young as we are are only going to get better now we add a slow footed under sized power forward the put up decent numbers on a horrible team because he was one of the better options they had... not only that but Q will get better Kurt Thomas has already seen his prime go by..... bad trade and completely defeats what it looked like this team was trying to accomplish... I for one have not desire to watch a team like San Antonio or Detriot and it seems like this makes our Suns more in that mold... Boring basketball which has made this NBA Finals virtually impossible to watch.... WTF

I have to agree somewhat. Will Kurt Thomas be able to run with us? I'm not sure he will...

OP
OP
H

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since NYK can't trade another future protected 1st rounder (remember they already sent one to the Suns in the Marbury-trade which finally UTA got in the Gugliotta-trade) "conditional" may mean the lesser or higher one between the Knicks two 2006 1st rounders (they have SAS' 1st too from the Rose-trade)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
What I wonder is if we could get someone with the same general skill set as Thomas, but maybe a bit younger and maybe taller.

chap, very rarely can you trade small for big of equal talent. here i think we have equal talent in kurt and q, so to compensate for the big for small we end up going young for older. makes some sense in balancing the equities.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I have to agree somewhat. Will Kurt Thomas be able to run with us? I'm not sure he will...

We have four others who will run, and I don't see losing Q for Kurt hurting us at all.

We get one more three point shooter somewhere...and we're fine.

This just gives us more options...

I love it.

Mike

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Since NYK can't trade another future protected 1st rounder (remember they already sent one to the Suns in the Marbury-trade which finally UTA got in the Gugliotta-trade) "conditional" may mean the lesser or higher one between the Knicks two 2006 1st rounders (they have SAS' 1st too from the Rose-trade)

We could get our 1st rounder back that SA sent to them, probably would be determined when the 30th pick comes around next week. That could be considered conditional 1st rounder.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
assuming this trade goes through here is what i think the suns should do with the rest of the offseason....

1. draft ike, chris taft, or simeien (in that order) to fullfill back up power forward role with the 21st pick.

2. Draft salim stoudamire or diener (i would much prefer SS) to make up for three point shooting we are losing as well as help at PG d (in salims case)

3.Max out amare and resign joe

4. Resign Hunter at 1.2 mil over 2 years

5. Pick up jay williams with another smaller deal possibly breaking up the MLE between hunter and williams

1.nash/barbosa/jwilliams
2.Joe/Salim
3.Marion/Jjax
4.Stoudamire/diogu
5.Thomas/Hunter

Now that is a squad to be feared. Another possibility at 21 is Francisco Garcia (i think he will be a good player in the NBA) and giving the MLE to Kwame...we will see but if the deal goes thru, we are much better equipped to play the spurs and pistons...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
chap, very rarely can you trade small for big of equal talent. here i think we have equal talent in kurt and q, so to compensate for the big for small we end up going young for older. makes some sense in balancing the equities.

No, you mean we're going young for A LOT older.

That said, he certainly is durable. He's played in at least 77 games each year since 99, so injuries don't seem to be a huge hurdle. Averaged about 12 points a game over the past 3 years and it looks like this past season was his career-high in rebounds per game.

I like what he'll bring to the defense, but 2 things still bother me:

1) His age

2) Will he be able to run with Steve Nash?

OP
OP
H

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
We could get our 1st rounder back that SA sent to them, probably would be determined when the 30th pick comes around next week. That could be considered conditional 1st rounder.

No, that's not conditional anymore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

very few legit bigmen can run like the suns. if he can secure the defensive board and outlet i'm sure that amare and marion and jj can do the finishing.

i think y'all were hoping for too much in the way of a big man this offseason. no one trades a great big man for a player like q. we wouldn't be able to pry magliore away from new orleans. SAR and swift were not going to sign for the MLE. and no one in the draft at NUMBER FRICKIN' 21 was going to come in and provide a presence. kurt thomas is a good dirtworker. he's not coming all injured like hot rod. and he's only costing us q. it's a gamble, but i think it may be a good gamble.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
From Q...

"It's not something I wanted but it's something I accept," Richardson said of the trade. "I'm not trying to be angry or spiteful. They're trying to better the team and I can't be mad at that. When we're not playing the Suns, I'm still going to be a Suns fan."

Man, I hate to lose him... :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
very few legit bigmen can run like the suns. if he can secure the defensive board and outlet i'm sure that amare and marion and jj can do the finishing.

Well, obviously Amare can, and Hunter can to an extent.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll be among those "eating crow"....

Oh well.. perhaps I must look at it from a bigger-picture... perhaps with removing Q's contract off-the-books, this could generate future moves that would help shape the Suns further.... I guess I'll look at it from that perspective...

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
Man I really don't like this trade unless the pick we get turns out to be a lottery pick.

I have a problem with Thomas' age that I just can't seem to get past...

It seems like he will be 37 when we get rid of his contract...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wow! So, uh, I guess I'll have to revise my "20%" estimate.

This might be the first time ever that RealGM has gotten the scoop on a trade. I bet they're crowing.

I like the deal. I wish Thomas were more of a shot-blocker, but his shooting percentages are fine, he rebounds well, and he's not afraid to mix it up. Richardson is probably a slightly better player, but this gives the Suns a more versatile look. Besides, if they want to run-and-gun for stretches, they can always go back to last year's starting lineup, only with Jackson instead of Richardson. (Jackson is a better shooter anyway.)

fordronken

Reaction score
I'm really excited to have a player who will know where to be defensively on the floor and won't bite on as many pump fakes.

But what I'm most excited about...positioning on defensive rebounds. I'm imagining a team...that when the opposition shoots...box out defenders...and get rebounds. I'm downright giddy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Well, obviously Amare can, and Hunter can to an extent.

c'mon chap . . . amare is a freak of nature and you know it. like we're going to be able to trade for a big man with his physical traits???

and great hunter can run, but he can't board or hit a jump shot. give me a choice between hunter and thomas and i choose kurt every time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I'm really excited to have a player who will know where to be defensively on the floor and won't bite on as many pump fakes.

But what I'm most excited about...positioning on defensive rebounds. I'm imagining a team...that when the opposition shoots...box out defenders...and get rebounds. I'm downright giddy.

Now that you put it THAT way... :biglaugh:

:thumbup:

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Actually, he will be 35. It runs out in 2008, 4-5 months before his 36th birthday.

Thanks for the correction on that, but I still don't know that it makes me feel any better... :shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This trade is all new to me. However, if true, I think it might also pave the way for Casey Jacobsen coming back to Phoenix. I know that many posters on this Board did not like Casey's game but I did and I think the Suns did too. IMO, he will only get better if the Suns give him more open looks with more weapons inside.

By the way, I like Q and think he was playing entirely out of position for Phoenix. He should be playing the SG position as a 6th man. Q would be awesome in this role.

Maybe this is a trade rumor based just upon some hypothetical talk. Teams talk about the avaiability of players all the time anyway.