Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
You guys who are worried about KT being able to run with Nash aren't seeing the forrest for the trees. This trade allows for even MORE fast breaks as KT snags the board. Meanwhile Amare, JJ, Nash and Marion are already releasing down the court. KT throws the outlet upcourt and then acts as a trailer on the play (kind of like a TE being the dumpoff for a QB). If the transition D halts the break, KT is just setting for an open 15'-18' shot....

Last year, we had a trailer in Q, but his shot was a 3. Now we have more rebounding and a trailer who gives us a higher percentage 2 pt shot. Combine this with the fact that Amare has been working on his 3s and I think we have gotten better overall. I'll miss Q, but for all his excitement when he was on, he was off a bit too much for my liking....

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
"It's not something I wanted but it's something I accept," Richardson said of the trade. "I'm not trying to be angry or spiteful. They're trying to better the team and I can't be mad at that. When we're not playing the Suns, I'm still going to be a Suns fan."

:(

A few thoughts:

--Does this mean the Suns are through with Steven Hunter, too?

--Are they going to draft Diogu now, or are they going to switch over to Francisco Garcia?

--If they do draft Diogu, does this mean they'll have the shortest front line in the league?

--Who's the Suns' target in FA, anyway?

Q really grew on me this year, just as Marbury grew on me before he was traded. If Kurt Thomas can still play, I guess I see the sense in this trade, but still... :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This kinda makes free agency look a little different, although IMO it doesn't affect the draft. We still should draft big with #21, and BPA at #57.

But this trade may have opened the door to a Casey Jacobsen return and an almost certain signing of Nikoloz Tchikitsvilli.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
I think you guys got an absolute steal with this trade. I like Q a lot, but his talents on this team were redundant, especially if you keep JJ.

Kurt Thomas gives you a rugged inside presence, who immeadetly becomes your best post defender and rebounder. He will be able to free Amare up even more, as well as allow Marion to play his more natural position.

The lineup may not be as entertaining, but will give you all a much better playoff lineup.

Just my 2 Cents.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Actually, he will be 35. It runs out in 2008, 4-5 months before his 36th birthday.

Hoops Hype has his contract ending in 2007-2008 season:
6.62Million
7.35Million
8.09 Million

Much better than Q's Salary. I can see us trading him next year or getting someone that needs CAP help in 08' and get a good player back.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn. I'm gonna be really sad to see "Q" go. :(

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Damn. I'm gonna be really sad to see "Q" go. :(

I agree he was clutch for us during the season, but if JJ is truely ready to step up his game we can easly pick up a SG to shoot 3's.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Hopefully we can get our pick back this year, #30. I really want Maxiel from UC and I'm not sure how long he will last in the 2nd round. He is almost a perfect clone of Kurt Thomas, only much younger. Also, we would have the option to move up into the middle of the draft with the #21 and #30.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
This is a PERFECT deal.

Everyone is bitching about how Phoenix wont be able to run and gun anymore. You're all wrong. Kurt's job will most likely be to grab the rebound and make sure to get the ball out to Nash. The Suns lost a TON of opportunities last season to run because they were getting killed on the boards.

Also, Thomas is no sissy. You can bet when Manu drives the lane, he'll make sure that when Manu goes to the ground, it's not a flop.

Q is expendable. As thrilled as I was to see him come to Phoenix, it's not hard to fill the "throw up a 3 pointer and hope it goes in" role, which Jackson does better anyways. (On another note, get ready to see Casey Jacobsen coming back. In my opinion, Phoenix is essentially trading Richardson for Thomas and Jacobsen.)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Quagmire said:
Hopefully we can get our pick back this year, #30. I really want Maxiel from UC and I'm not sure how long he will last in the 2nd round. He is almost a perfect clone of Kurt Thomas, only much younger. Also, we would have the option to move up into the middle of the draft with the #21 and #30.

I thought the same of Diogu, actually. :D

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
:(

A few thoughts:

--Are they going to draft Diogu now, or are they going to switch over to Francisco Garcia?

--If they do draft Diogu, does this mean they'll have the shortest front line in the league?

Q really grew on me this year, just as Marbury grew on me before he was traded. If Kurt Thomas can still play, I guess I see the sense in this trade, but still... :(

-I think the Suns knew Hunter was going to ask for too much.

-They still could consider Petro or Blatche

-SAR still could be a consideration, there would be very little drop off in offense when Amare has to sit.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

A few counter-thoughts: :)

I think they already were. Someone will offer Hunter more than the Suns want to pay.

My suspicion is that they don't think Diogu will be available. Of course we saw how well they predicted what would happen before their pick in last year's draft. This deal lets them draft the pure BPA (who is never a big, outside of the first few picks) or make any good-looking draft-day trade that comes their way. It also increases the chance of their taking a Euro and letting him develop, in my opinion.

You mean shorter than last year's front line of 6' 10", 6' 7", 6' 5"?

Donyell Marshall is looking REAL good right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if the Suns get another first round draft pick this year?
(I believe the reports says Phoenix receives a conditional first round pick)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
This is a PERFECT deal.

Everyone is bitching about how Phoenix wont be able to run and gun anymore. You're all wrong. Kurt's job will most likely be to grab the rebound and make sure to get the ball out to Nash. The Suns lost a TON of opportunities last season to run because they were getting killed on the boards.

Also, Thomas is no sissy. You can bet when Manu drives the lane, he'll make sure that when Manu goes to the ground, it's not a flop.

Q is expendable. As thrilled as I was to see him come to Phoenix, it's not hard to fill the "throw up a 3 pointer and hope it goes in" role, which Jackson does better anyways. (On another note, get ready to see Casey Jacobsen coming back. In my opinion, Phoenix is essentially trading Richardson for Thomas and Jacobsen.)

Casey is a free agent and we could us some more players. I just don't want to see him getting as many minutes.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
the worst part for Richardson

He'll have to give up his uniform number, because Marbury has it.

Bummer.

I am sorry to see Richardson go, but not heartbroken. This makes the team better. And Brandy will have more fun in New York anyway.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I'm shocked. But, somewhat pleased.

This trade does a few things...

- Pacifies Amare and gets him some seriously needed help down low.

- Suns add "bite". Thomas is an enforcer.

- Trade was done to match up with SA.

I still ahte to see the core broken up after only winning 62 games.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Casey is a free agent and we could us some more players. I just don't want to see him getting as many minutes.

I know. I just have a gut feeling that Casey will be coming back. You're essentially replacing Q with Casey, and adding Thomas. :)

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
He'll have to give up his uniform number, because Marbury has it.

Bummer.

I am sorry to see Richardson go, but not heartbroken. This makes the team better. And Brandy will have more fun in New York anyway.

It sounds like Q has business in NY anyhow, and he seems like a player that will love the "urban" environment.

Is Brandy from NY originally, anybody know.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You know what's funny to me is that Isiah Thomas is probably thinking, "Ha ha, those suckers in Phoenix, I just ripped them off again. I love trading with those guys."

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Quagmire said:

Ideally, the Suns would get their pick back conditionally--if their guy is still available at #30--and otherwise they would take San Antonio's pick next year.

That's probably too good to be true, though.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
It sounds like Q has business in NY anyhow, and he seems like a player that will love the "urban" environment.

Is Brandy from NY originally, anybody know.

Ha far from it. She is from McComb, Mississippi

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is winning the Western Conference title next year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, the Suns are not getting a pick back for this year. It appears they're getting a future (probably lottery protected) pick in future years. I'm guessing it would come at the end of Thomas' current contract.

I've never liked Q's game in this offense. He's a big 2 who needs to be working in a real multiple half-court offense. He's not a passer, his athleticism is wasted on a poor mid-range game, and he's a defensive liability (although not so much in a slower game).

I like Kurt Thomas' game, but he does not solve many problems, although he addresses an immediate need for defensive rebounding. He's not going to improve overall defense, but he won't need the help defense Marion needed at the 4. At the very least, Thomas will make his own man work at the 4. He also creates some matchup problems on the offensive end, but I question how much of an impact he'll have there with Amare spending so much time up top. Thomas will have to get his points on the scrap, and probably won't have as many jump shot opportunities as he had in NY.

The one thing I like about this trade is it moves the team forward. By that, I mean it's at least showing the Suns recognize 2004-05 squad got as far as they possibly could. No amount of tinkering with the bench was going to change that. There are no comparisons to Hot Rod here, because Thomas is healthy. I'm not sure the Suns have had a player like Thomas in a long, long time. Maybe A.C. Green.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
A few counter-thoughts: :)

You mean shorter than last year's front line of 6' 10", 6' 7", 6' 5"?

Actually, I'm thinking Jim Jackson will replace Q in the starting lineup. So they'll have the same-sized front line as last year, plus their backups (7'1" and 6'9") will be replaced by shorter players (6'8" and 6'7").

elindholm said:

Donyell Marshall is looking REAL good right now.

I think he looked a lot better before this trade. Kurt Thomas is a PF, and so is Marshall. (Diogu too, for that matter.)

Now what the Suns really need is another swingman. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05