Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kinda sad to see Q go, but when I think about his performance against san antonio and a fat "0" in the last game against them... I see it had to be done.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Ideally, the Suns would get their pick back conditionally--if their guy is still available at #30--and otherwise they would take San Antonio's pick next year.

That's probably too good to be true, though.

It has to be one of these two picks, according to nbadraft.net. They owe the lottery-protected pick to Utah till 2010. So unless they dropped the restrictions on that pick, similar to what Cleveland did this year, we get #30 this year or San Antonio's pick next year. With the age limit going into effect next year, I would rather have the pick now instead of a high 20 something pick next year with a two year guaranteed contract.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
First, the Suns are not getting a pick back for this year. It appears they're getting a future (probably lottery protected) pick in future years. I'm guessing it would come at the end of Thomas' current contract.

The problem with that is that the Knicks already gave up a conditional pick like that (to the Suns, who passed it along to Utah). As we learned from the Barbosa trade, that means the Knicks will have trouble giving up another pick in that range.

They could give up the Spurs' pick next year, or rather the worse of the Spurs' and Knicks' picks next year. That seems like the most likely way to send the Suns a 'conditional pick'.

sunsfn

Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I don't like this deal. I knew I would be a target once this came out and I'm sorry nobody else saw the duplicity of Q and JJ.

I would prefer a younger or more athletic center than Thomas. I heard it on ESPN radio.

I have agreed with you many times and have always thought that Q was the odd man out on this team. He is not a good defender and like I have said can shoot you in a game and can shoot you out of a game.

I have thought the suns would trade Q this off season if they could get themselves a big man in return.
The time for the suns is now, and they are not counting on the draft for a big that can help them right away. If that happens it would be great, but the odds are very low. And the suns as I said earlier, will take the BPA on the 21st...........or now they may trade the pick.

Q grew on me as the season went along, but he does not fit what this team eeds.

Amare is the man on this team and they know what they have in him, that is one of the best big man in the NBA and he is going to get better. They need to surround him with players that help his game and one of those players needed to be a big that can shoot from mid range and rebound and play defense so Amare can concentrate on offense and let his defense develop.

They are not done!! They will continue to look for another big or resign Hunter. I think they will trade Jake for ?? or 2nd round pick.

They could bring Casey back and they could sign Tisk? & or Nachbar who played for D'Antoni in europe on his championship teams.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Paul Coro:

- Kurt Thomas would be able to rebound, shore up the D
- Another vet (been to the finals), is a true professional
- HAS PLAYED WITH NASH IN DALLAS
- Will be in phoenix until he is 34, then he has a one year player option
- This is a short term plan
- Their window is until Nash wears down now.

-Hunter is NOT interested in the 1.7 MLE

-Q brought a lot to the team (personality, chemistry)
-Trade makes sense: get a big man - solid defense, rebounding, PLUS decent offense (has a jump shot)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team just got the ability to get that balance that they need. As far as the offense goes, for those saying that we won't be able to run without Q, Nash has been running his entire career and never played on a team configured like ours was last year. The Kings started this retro wave of running and they didn't have a running C and the Mavs continue to run even though they have bigs. It's not necessary to have all five guys runing in order to be a running team - that doesn't worry me at all.

But as far as the Defense goes - holy cow - piss poor D, offensive boards and uncontested layups are gonna be somewhat a thing of the past - at least compared to last year's ole fest. Our D should now be the equivalent of Detroit's offense - good enough to support the extremity of our offense. We get grit, we get a little thuggish, we get a guy who sticks the 18 footer and we get a guy HUNGRY to win. We also open ourselves up completely at 21 and we now have a better shot of getting a guy in FA who can knock down the three.

Ouchie woke me with this one and I was taken aback a bit. I loved Q in the regular season, but bottom line, the team as currently constructed could never beat SA or ulitmately the Pistons with small ball. We're in this sucker for a title and I love it! Kurt Thomas is a great addition to this club. Our rebounding should be sick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also find it hilarious that colorado DOESN'T like this deal. What were you expecting to get for a 6'5 streak shooter who plays average at best D?

I LOVE this trade! I can't wait to see what we do in the draft and FA now. This team may not win 62 games next year, but they are going to be ready for the playoffs (meaning SA and Detroit - no one else matters because no one else can compete with us like those teams).

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Paul Coro:

-NY Media thinks Kurt is a great guy, solid carachter, good personality
-NASTY on the court

-Draft:
-BPA

fordronken

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that with all of the ideas we have on this board for trades, none of us ever think up the ones that end up going down? It's not like it's that complicated of out therr of a trade idea. It's funny to me.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
This is a PERFECT deal.

Everyone is bitching about how Phoenix wont be able to run and gun anymore. You're all wrong. Kurt's job will most likely be to grab the rebound and make sure to get the ball out to Nash. The Suns lost a TON of opportunities last season to run because they were getting killed on the boards.

Also, Thomas is no sissy. You can bet when Manu drives the lane, he'll make sure that when Manu goes to the ground, it's not a flop.

Q is expendable. As thrilled as I was to see him come to Phoenix, it's not hard to fill the "throw up a 3 pointer and hope it goes in" role, which Jackson does better anyways. (On another note, get ready to see Casey Jacobsen coming back. In my opinion, Phoenix is essentially trading Richardson for Thomas and Jacobsen.)

Sorry everyone if that sounded a bit harsh. (Atleast it did when i read it again. :))

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Last year a bunch of us threw out KT's name. I thought he would be a better fit than Dampier. ;)

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
responses/questions to the big trade

there are a number of topics that could start off this, but i'll keep it to one:

-did the suns braintrust do this themselves, or was their hand forced (amare?)?

-if the suns do not win a title in the next 2 years, is this trade a bust?

-how much of this move was cost-cutting?

-did jim jackson prove enough during the playoffs to lessen q's value?

-should amare now be the frontrunner for league mvp next year, with the team quite obviously focusing on him?

-do the suns now have the best frontline in the nba?

-how does this change drafting strategy?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Best running team I ever saw was Show Time with Magic Johnson. Kareem NEVER ran on the break and they were still deadly effective on the fast break! :thumbup:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
playstation said:
there are a number of topics that could start off this, but i'll keep it to one:

-should amare now be the frontrunner for league mvp next year, with the team quite obviously focusing on him?

Lets keep it in this thread for now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casey Jacobsen still has no business being on this team.

Anyone have a link for the FA list that Eric put up a couple weeks ago? I'm curious as to who the swingmen/shooting guards are that are out there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
playstation said:

I think it was all Suns front office (with Amare's ok), I can't see this organization bend to the whims of a player.

That's a really tough question.

I don't think so, at least not right now it isn't. Q had a large contract, but it wasn't that bad.

Definitely no. Remember, JJ2 only has next year remaining on his contract.

That's been the prevailing opinion for about a month now.

Pretty close.

It doesn't.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually, I'm thinking Jim Jackson will replace Q in the starting lineup.

You're probably making a joke ... uh, right? Why would the Suns make this deal for Thomas just to park him on the bench and play more small ball?

I think he looked a lot better before this trade. Kurt Thomas is a PF, and so is Marshall.

Yes, but the beauty of Marshall now is that the Suns could play defense without being panicked about foul trouble. With Stoudemire/Marion/Thomas/Marshall, you'd have four interchangeable front-court parts who can all score in different ways. Stoudemire and Thomas will be in foul trouble from time to time, and it would be fantastic to have another biggish scorer to trot out without blinking an eye.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that with all of the ideas we have on this board for trades, none of us ever think up the ones that end up going down?

Come on, I was pretty close with the Joe Smith scenario.

I think it simply didn't occur to us that Isiah Thomas would overpay for another wing player yet again.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Yes, but the beauty of Marshall now is that the Suns could play defense without being panicked about foul trouble. With Stoudemire/Marion/Thomas/Marshall, you'd have four interchangeable front-court parts who can all score in different ways. Stoudemire and Thomas will be in foul trouble from time to time, and it would be fantastic to have another biggish scorer to trot out without blinking an eye.

I like this idea a lot more today than I did yesterday, although Marshall still has some years on him. But since it appears we're looking at improving NOW, I wouldn't mind Marshall on this team off the bench.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I also find it hilarious that colorado DOESN'T like this deal. What were you expecting to get for a 6'5 streak shooter who plays average at best D?

I LOVE this trade! I can't wait to see what we do in the draft and FA now. This team may not win 62 games next year, but they are going to be ready for the playoffs (meaning SA and Detroit - no one else matters because no one else can compete with us like those teams).

I was not expecting a straight up deal, you know my preferences were Ratliff and Nene in a package deal.

I glad you changed your description of Q to a streak shooter who plays average D, you have become enlighted.

I just remember that the majority on this board wanted to keep this young team together. Q was an experiment after all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

You're probably making a joke ... uh, right? Why would the Suns make this deal for Thomas just to park him on the bench and play more small ball?

I think he looked a lot better before this trade. Kurt Thomas is a PF, and so is Marshall.

if they could somehow get Marshall, this team would absolutely roll over people. My only concern would be that we really wouldn't have much in the way of "fresh legs" coming off the bench, but then again, the last couple Champions - Spurs and Pistons haven't exactly had spring chickens coming off their benches either.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

No. The only way you could say that would be if you thought that the team before the trade had a better chance of winning a title. Watching the level of play between the Spurs and Pistons in the last couple of games, I think the reality is that last year's Suns were farther away than any of us really wanted to acknowledge.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I just remember that the majority on this board wanted to keep this young team together. Q was an experiment after all.

sigh...

Q WAS NOT an experiment!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
if they could somehow get Marshall, this team would absolutely roll over people.

That was my thinking. I could easily see Marshall becoming one of the clutchest role players in league history. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I'd like Hunter back because Timmy D. in SA has abused Marshall before, and Hunter actually makes Duncan work on offense. I would rather have Hunter. Although Marshall has way better offensive moves, we have enough scoring. We need D! ;)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05