KT Gone to Seattle

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I guess I can count on 82 games of entertainment and a playoff run that comes up short. The Suns need to add another Kurt Thomas instead of paying to get rid of the one they have.

I think this move sucks.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Don't forget the Barbosa trade, the first James Jones trade and the Jim Jackson trade. Those were all pretty good.

I had forgotten the Barbosa trade, and I can't even remember what they gave up for him, so yeah, that was good. But the other two were trades in name only; basically they were FA signings, at which the Suns have been generally not so incompetent.

mribnik

Reaction score
I had forgotten the Barbosa trade, and I can't even remember what they gave up for him, so yeah, that was good. But the other two were trades in name only; basically they were FA signings, at which the Suns have been generally not so incompetent.

I don't think we gave up more for him, maybe a very protected pick? The Spurs were in a situation much like the Suns, where they didn't want to commit money to a rookie who wouldn't play on a championship caliber team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This trade has terrible timing. If they would have done it a couple of weeks ago they could have gotten Darko, Joe Smith, or Magloire. Now their really aren't any big men out there to replace KT.

Say what you want about KT being small time. He was our best low post defender and now leaves a gaping hole at back up PF/C. We needed another big with KT on the roster and now need 2. We should have used that draft pick to take Splitter, Fazeckas, or McRoberts. The Suns get a F for this offseason, Brown will not be enough we would also have to get Ely.

Why didn't they get a C like Petro or Sene in the deal, and a PG like Jack in the draft day fiasco with POR, then atleast we would have accomplished our goal of getting a back up PG, and two bigs if we would have gotten one from SEA and Ely with some of the money they saved.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns traded a future pick that was top 20 protected for several years for Barbosa. The Spurs traded that pick to NY during the '04-'05 season for Nazr Mohammed and the Pick was used to select David Lee as the last player in the '05 draft.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This trade has terrible timing. If they would have done it a couple of weeks ago they could have gotten Darko, Joe Smith, or Magloire. Now their really aren't any big men out there to replace KT.

The Suns have no intrest in spending the money they are saving with the move. Sure they'll likely use the vet min to bring someone in but they certainly weren't going to add someone significant like those guys.

Personally I would have been happy had they been able to add Joe Smith for the MLE.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
You don't think it was timed this way on purpose?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
From Chris Sheridan's ESPN.com blog:
In between covering Donaghy and Kobe today, I was able to glean one small piece of information regarding the trade the Phoenix Suns made with Seattle earlier Friday, sending Kurt Thomas and two future No. 1 picks to the Sonics in exchange for the second-round pick the Sonics acquired last week from Orlando in the Rashard Lewis sign-and-trade deal.

Turns out neither of the No. 1 picks the Suns surrendered has any lottery protection, which could make the 2010 draft pick especially valuable if the Suns' fortunes take a precipitous fall by then. The scuttlebutt around the league was that Phoenix GM Steve Kerr made the deal as the precursor to another deal, which he will make using the $8.092 million trade exception he acquired from the Sonics.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we gave up more for him, maybe a very protected pick? The Spurs were in a situation much like the Suns, where they didn't want to commit money to a rookie who wouldn't play on a championship caliber team.

right, except, the Spurs were actually the DEFENDING CHAMPS when they traded that pick, and had already won another title previous to that, and in between winning their first and second titles, they were still using the draft to stock their team, getting Parker and Ginobli, enabling them to have at least a 9 year run. So in other words, the situations are nothing alike.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scuttlebutt around the league was that Phoenix GM Steve Kerr made the deal as the precursor to another deal, which he will make using the $8.092 million trade exception he acquired from the Sonics.[/I]

so, are we supposed to believe Sheridan after all the ridiculous crap he's spewed so far throughout the year regarding our team? This is the guy who said we almost moved Marion for Kwame and Luke, right? And that Amare was on the way out.

I hope he's right on this one, but I ain't holding my breath.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In between covering Donaghy and Kobe today, I was able to glean one small piece of information regarding the trade the Phoenix Suns made with Seattle earlier Friday, sending Kurt Thomas and two future No. 1 picks to the Sonics in exchange for the second-round pick the Sonics acquired last week from Orlando in the Rashard Lewis sign-and-trade deal.

Turns out neither of the No. 1 picks the Suns surrendered has any lottery protection, which could make the 2010 draft pick especially valuable if the Suns' fortunes take a precipitous fall by then. The scuttlebutt around the league was that Phoenix GM Steve Kerr made the deal as the precursor to another deal, which he will make using the $8.092 million trade exception he acquired from the Sonics.

ESPN :rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDuG0ZYD5I

Last edited:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score

i don't blame him for thinking there's another deal. if there wasn't one, the idiocy here is off the charts.

i'd go yell at kerr and sarver myself if they weren't so busy tossing the salad of each and every sonics exec.

i need more colangelo in my life..

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where did the new GM for the Sonics come from? For some reason, I have a bad feeling he came from the Spurs. Is that right? Are we still basically getting out smarted and beaten by everything Spurs-related, even in the off-season?!

edit: Sam Presti - former player personel guy for the Spurs.

Sheesh, even a former Spur turned Sonics rookie GM bends our FO over. It just doesn't stop, does it?

here's my call:

Once this era is over, the last era the Colangelos built, the Suns as we know it are finished. Amare will fall into KG-dom, wasting away for the rest of his career with an owner who's bottom line is absolutely the bottom line and a FO that has absolutely zero clue what they're doing. We're basically the Lakers, with the Colangelos serving as Jerry West and the new FO serving as Kupcake... except we don't even have three titles to show for it. ugh.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
where did the new GM for the Sonics come from? For some reason, I have a bad feeling he came from the Spurs. Is that right? Are we still basically getting out smarted and beaten by everything Spurs-related, even in the off-season?!

edit: Sam Presti - former player personel guy for the Spurs.

Sheesh, even a former Spur turned Sonics rookie GM bends our FO over. It just doesn't stop, does it?

Sam Presti is credited for building the Spurs international drafting. Manu, Scola and Parker were all his guys.

Don't forget the ex-Spur in the Suns front office accomidating that bend over.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Presti is credited for building the Spurs international drafting. Manu, Scola and Parker were all his guys.

Don't forget the ex-Spur in the Suns front office accomidating that bend over.

ah yes. i didn't forget, i just really didn't want to put that in writing (I also believe Kerr had little choice in doing this, although not getting protection on the 2010 pick was the height of stupidity).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
although not getting protection on the 2010 pick was the height of stupidity).

Or arrogance. I like D'Antoni but the way he talks about guys like Nash and Hill you think they'll be playing at a high level for another 5+ years which is just delusional. I'd like to know if they even thought to ask for protection on that pick. The Jazz had no problem taking a heavily protected pick when the Suns were even more hamstrung trading Googs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So basically the ONLY move we have left, without incurring the luxury tax, is some kind of trade in order to get another big. That signals to me, more Marion rumors, or some disappointing trade of our lesser guys for some guy we aren't going to be really excited about. Bottom line, I can't see us going into next year's playoffs with only Amare as our true big that will see action. If that happens, he will be so tired from forty minutes a night over 82 games, that he'll be on fumes come playoff time.

I didn't mean this to sound so negative. Bascially, I don't think they want to play Amare over 40 minutes for 82 games. Plus, you can't count on Amare to be in all the games due to foul troubles. We NEED another big. So basically:

A) Sean Marks, Burke, etc., will play more, and they are slower than KT. So imho, this option won't work.

B) More Marion trade rumors to get a big that's decent.

c) A junk trade for an "average" big, that won't thrill the board, but may be marginally better than Marks, Burke, etc.

So basically, I think there may be a trade, either now or some time around the trade deadline. That Atlanta pick may be key, and a team that's already circling the drain by the deadline and is rebuilding. Who knows? I really can't believe Kerr believes in Marks and Burke that much. I think his recent comments are posturing. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The scuttlebutt around the league was that Phoenix GM Steve Kerr made the deal as the precursor to another deal, which he will make using the $8.092 million trade exception he acquired from the Sonics.

Can the Suns retrade this exception as an asset in a trade, since we surely can't use it and stay under within the luxury tax? I read that Larry Coon Faq, and it reads to me like: "blah blah blah, yes you can trade it, blah blah blah, no you can't!" LOL!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Can the Suns retrade this exception as an asset in a trade, since we surely can't use it and stay under within the luxury tax?

No. They can use it to take on one or more players whose salary fits into the exception, but it's not an "asset" that can be transfered to another team, nor can they combine it with an outgoing player to take on a new big salary (e.g. Marion for Garnett).

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. They can use it to take on one or more players whose salary fits into the exception, but it's not an "asset" that can be transfered to another team, nor can they combine it with an outgoing player to take on a new big salary (e.g. Marion for Garnett).

Not that I think this is the plan by any means, but could the Suns use this exception right before it expires next July to sign Garnett to an $8 mill deal (above the MLE he mentioned he may entertain) for the '08-09 season?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not that I think this is the plan by any means, but could the Suns use this exception right before it expires next July to sign Garnett to an $8 mill deal (above the MLE he mentioned he may entertain) for the '08-09 season?

In a sign and trade, yes if he'd play for $8 million.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Question to all who would you rather trade for: KG or Kobe.

KG would give us another low post threat but Kobe would give us the finisher and complement Amare on the inside.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In a sign and trade, yes if he'd play for $8 million.

Yes, that's correct. I suppose it's not inconceivable, if Minnesota is resigned to losing Garnett and wants to help him get more money from a contending team. The Suns could give a second-rounder for Garnett and then simultaneously agree to take Jaric for Banks and Tucker, or something along those lines.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. I suppose it's not inconceivable, if Minnesota is resigned to losing Garnett and wants to help him get more money from a contending team. The Suns could give a second-rounder for Garnett and then simultaneously agree to take Jaric for Banks and Tucker, or something along those lines.

By that time, I do believe Diaw will have rediscovered his game so that Minn might want a KG sign and trade for Diaw, for 10 mil starting while swapping Jaris for Banks and Tucker as you indicated. But the KT exception is a good fallback option though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well now, we ended up getting rid of a ton of picks (with that many, the chances of throwing poop on a list and hitting one good player is pretty good), one of our 'rotation' guys, and the only really good interior defender we had outside of Amare. In return, we have a vet who is always getting injured and clearly on the downside of his career. So far, we have moved backwards from the team we were last year. Unless something changes, and quick, we won't advance past the first round.

How god-awfully FRUSTRATING it is to be a Sun's fan this offseason. Money, money, money, blah, blah, blah. Just sack up, front office, and say 'screw you, we want to raise our profit margin at the risk of winning'.