KT Gone to Seattle

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that Steve Kerr said always gets under my skin. It's this idea that the Phoenix Suns cannot play fast with Kurt Thomas in the lineup. I think that's total BS, and I'm really tired of hearing it.

If anything, Kurt Thomas allows the team to play faster. It's a hell of a lot easier to run the ball when your team is actually getting stops in securing the defensive boards. That's what Kurt Thomas does. That's what Amare Stoudemire and the rest of the frontcourt minus Thomas struggled to do. Besides, I think the Suns are at their best when Amare and Shawn Marion can run.

You don't need five people running full bore up and down the court to be a great running team. You do need to be able to get some stops and secure the rebounds.

Joe

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ash just said there is NO protection on either of the two first rounders we gave up. That 2010 pick could come back to haunt us.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have time right now to read all the posts. But some things I need to say:

1) Why does Sarver say he is willing to pay LT and then trade JR, KT and 3 picks for nothing? He is a hypocrite. He says one thing to the media and fans, and then he hides behind his GM as he slowly dismantles the team in order to maximize team revenue. Dallas will be paying LT too, yet they just re-signed Stackhouse. The Suns are one of the most profitable teams in the league. They could have certainly afforded it.

2) You would think, if you are willing to give up 3 first round picks in total, you would be able to at the very least move a useless player like Banks too.

3) KT was brought here with a specific purpose. His play against the Spurs was really good. That's what he was here for. He also mentored Amare. Who is going to fill that role now?

4) The actual trade: Quentin Richardson + Nate Robinson + 2 First round picks for Nothing.

5) In the last few years: QRich + Nate + JR + Rodriguez + Fernandez + 2 future first round picks all sold for CASH.

6) Grant Hill is not going to guard Tim Duncan.

7) Alando Tucker is not going to guard Tim Duncan.

:yeahthat:

Ash just said there is NO protection on either of the two first rounders we gave up. That 2010 pick could come back to haunt us.

Considering our recent draft luck......IT WILL COME BACK AND HAUNT US.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading KT only really matters if we face the Spurs next year in the playoffs. That could happen, of course, but it's no sure thing, since Dallas (or Houston) might knock them out for us.

I'm only using your post because I don't want to take the time to look for the 20 others I have read in the last hour that say basically the same thing.

Trading Kurt Thomas might matter the most against the San Antonio Spurs, but that doesn't mean the Phoenix Suns don't need him against any other teams. This idea that he was an unimportant player during the regular season and against everybody except the San Antonio Spurs is just wrong IMO.

Joe

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm only using your post because I don't want to take the time to look for the 20 others I have read in the last hour that say basically the same thing.

Trading Kurt Thomas might matter the most against the San Antonio Spurs, but that doesn't mean the Phoenix Suns don't need him against any other teams. This idea that he was an unimportant player during the regular season and against everybody except the San Antonio Spurs is just wrong IMO.

Joe
But Joe, to be fair, as many people here have said time and time again,

The regular season doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

You can't have it both ways now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that Steve Kerr said always gets under my skin. It's this idea that the Phoenix Suns cannot play fast with Kurt Thomas in the lineup. I think that's total BS, and I'm really tired of hearing it.

If anything, Kurt Thomas allows the team to play faster. It's a hell of a lot easier to run the ball when your team is actually getting stops in securing the defensive boards. That's what Kurt Thomas does. That's what Amare Stoudemire and the rest of the frontcourt minus Thomas struggled to do. Besides, I think the Suns are at their best when Amare and Shawn Marion can run.

You don't need five people running full bore up and down the court to be a great running team. You do need to be able to get some stops and secure the rebounds.

Joe

i completely agree with this as well. The Lakers were the fastest team in the league and Kareem never got past half-court most of the time. Did he drag them down? No, because dominating the boards means you can actually HAVE more opportunities to be faster than anyone else.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but he is going to tackle Parker under the Spurs basket, slamming him into the stanchion...

he's not even going to get off the bench and he wouldn't have the speed to stay with Parker.

I really hope the above is sarcasm.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Besides, what the Suns should have done this season was play Thomas more the whole way, so that something approaching playoff style would be more familiar when needed.

Hoping that someone else will take out the Spurs is a loser's gamble. Real champions are prepared to beat everyone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's my question to everyone. A team with very poor big man depth just traded a big man, who we know can play valuable minutes on this team so we can hopefully sign another big man for less money, who we don't know if they'll mesh with the system/team as well. How is that not cheap, especially in the face of winning a title where you'd think you'd stretch that extra mile to try and get there?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I don't like this a bit even though knew it was coming. But giving up 2 first rounders???? Also, we most likely start rebuilding around 2010 or so as I believe Nash will have 2 or so more years left.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
All I can say is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Enjoy a lot of it, who cares about a championship!!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know the part that irritates me the most? The Suns have a habit of trying to pick up players at the deadline to try and put them over the hump so to speak. The very type of player I could see them picking up at the trading deadline is the exact player we just traded away.

:bang:

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
The lack of protection on the picks is infuriating.

At least someone is finally saying it. In 2009-2010, we will be without Marion, possibly without Nash, and could easily see the inevitable flare-up of Amare's knee. Nash is the main concern, as he will best case be a broken down 36, or worst case, not have his team option picked up. We will be under the cap and could pick up a significant free agent, but with Nash potentially out of the fold or significantly diminished, it could be a rough year.

Mark it down ... 2009-2010 is a very REAL rebuilding year possibility, and we just gave away a 2010 pick with ZERO protection.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least someone is finally saying it. In 2009-2010, we will be without Marion, possibly without Nash, and could easily see the inevitable flare-up of Amare's knee. Nash is the main concern, as he will best case be a broken down 36, or worst case, not have his team option picked up. We will be under the cap and could pick up a significant free agent, but with Nash potentially out of the fold or significantly diminished, it could be a rough year.

Mark it down ... 2009-2010 is a very REAL rebuilding year possibility, and we just gave away a 2010 pick with ZERO protection.

As long as we win one championship by then, I won't care.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I hate to say it as I was no fan of Bryan Collengelo but this FO appears to be in a big mess. Several questionable decision. Let's just hope their decisions are not going to come back and haunt then around 2009 / 2010 timeframe.

SASpursfan

Veteran
Reaction score
You clearly weren't watching then. Sure Duncan still scored, he does on anyone, he's amazing. But KT made him work for it, and kept Amare out of foul trouble. With the current roster (sans PJ Brown), Amare will have to guard Duncan, he'll end up in foul trouble, sit on the bench and the Suns are up a creek.

Signing Brown is the only thing that'll make this trade palatable.

As a spurs fan I would like to thank Kerr. You traded the only bigman who clearly caused problems for Duncan on defense. And you gave away two first round picks.

Double-agent, Steve Kerr.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen an organization in the history of sports with such an aversion to / contempt for the draft. It's as if we think it's something better off AVOIDED. It's not that we're not valuing draft picks, it's that we actually consider them a NEGATIVE. We're almost desperate to get rid of them, as if all Sarver sees is potential outgoing paychecks instead of potential incoming talent. Every time we burn off one of these picks, even if it's a late rounder, we throw away the chance at a player like Barbosa, Boozer, Hornacek, Ceballos, or Parker. And the Suns have demonstrated in past years that they're generally savvy when drafting at the end of the first round.

It's just flat amazing. And it drives me absolutely INSANE.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As a spurs fan I would like to thank Kerr. You traded the only bigman who clearly caused problems for Duncan on defense. And you gave away two first round picks.

Double-agent, Steve Kerr.

Pretty much. So far this summer, Kerr has done BY FAR the most of anyone in the league to help the Spurs repeat. He has to be a leading candidate for Executive of the Year -- just not for the team that happens to employ him.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd better start caring. There ain't gonna be no championship.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember a team THIS close to a championship making a trade that had the dual effect of hurting its chances for a championship NOW, while at the same time mortgaging part of its future? This is a first for me.

I've seen teams that were close to a championship give away an important veteran in exchange for youth or future picks (Mostly when they've thrown in the towel). I've also seen teams this close give away part of their future to get that missing veteran. But I've never seen a team accomplish the double negative.